Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Began on MM3 a month or so ago. I admit I had to cheat a little regarding the last puzzle in MM2, cause fuck if I know what a preamble is. After having looked it up the solution was pretty obvious.
MM3 took me quite a while to get used to, with its moving enemies, shooting arrows and spells outside combat, interface and everyone seeming to be lined up on the front in combat.
I am having fun so far though, but not very far yet.

Watser

Arcane
Wasn't an issue for me. When I first met them I got my ass severely kicked, so I went somewhere else. Then I came back and kicked their ass, but got my ass handed to me again by the hydras.... So I went somewhere else again etc. I really don't see how it is required to grind in MM1 considering you get plenty of EXP from doing all the fun stuff, which is exploring.
Wasn't necessary to grind in MM2 either, I killed the Hell Cat once but the fucker only dropped gold so shit if I wanted to do that again.
Reason why I really like the series so far, there is just so much shit to do and places to go. Picking up someone elses map takes out all in exploring it yourself.

Humppaleka

Cipher
I don't know what I did in MM1 but I must have fully mapped out a few overland areas and done a dungeon by the point I found the Wyverns, as I remember them being hard but not kicking my ass -hard. Now I was randomly mapping out a sector I haven't been to before and found apparently one of the easier to find stat-raising fountains. Cool!

Watser

Arcane
I am not sure, but I believe you can use the fountains twice - once before Clerics of the South and once more after.

Humppaleka

Cipher
I am not sure, but I believe you can use the fountains twice - once before Clerics of the South and once more after.
Yeah you can, I've read that they can deem you WORTHY! again after you use the fountains. Of course I'll have to find the fountains and after that the Clerics of the South...

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Finding the Clerics is one of the most fun "sidequests" in the game, and they inhabit my favourite MM1 dungeon.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
VI is "considered the best in the series"

Must take a lot of effort too make those typos. Keep up the good work, man.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
On which planet? Xeen is where it is, followed by the other early ones, 6 and onward are amusing at best, not quite good

Earth?

Before you direct your rage at me, I never said it was the best. I played III and VI only, and liked III more. Well, grass was greener back then, so it could be that...

Nael

Arcane
On which planet? Xeen is where it is, followed by the other early ones, 6 and onward are amusing at best, not quite good

He might have been referring to this thread.

Codexers: Harbingers of the :decline:

EDIT: For the record I didn't HATE VI. It just wasn't my favorite. My personal ranking of the MM series goes: III > IV-V > I > II > VII > VIII > X > VI > IX. In case anyone cares.

Lhynn

Arcane
Those results come from ignorance mostly, for example i just played VI and up, so i voted VI.
You are always better off asking people that has played them all instead of trusting some shitty pool tbh.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Those results come from ignorance mostly, for example i just played VI and up, so i voted VI.
You are always better off asking people that has played them all instead of trusting some shitty pool tbh.

That's why 90's rpgs rank so high in the codex, nobody cares of 80's games :M

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Which makes no sense. Story-wise it [VI]was fucking generic. Aesthetically it was a turd. Mechanics were ok and that was about it.

But exploration wise it was the best. And exploration was what the M&M games were about, or rather exploration was what the M&M games did much better than other turn based CRPGs.
The loot system was also excellent.
The bastardized combat system was weird, but didn't detract from enjoyment.
But the biggest hurdle for me to replay it is those retarded character portraits. But hopefully modders have fixed that?

c1aaf2da334d6b4be167f0119ed85d77.jpg

Nael

Arcane
But exploration wise it was the best. And exploration was what the M&M games were about, or rather exploration was what the M&M games did much better than other turn based CRPGs.
The loot system was also excellent.
The bastardized combat system was weird, but didn't detract from enjoyment.
But the biggest hurdle for me to replay it is those retarded character portraits. But hopefully modders have fixed that?

All of that is highly subjective.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer

All M&M from III and onwards are 90's games.

What Lhynn said, I only played III in "contemporary" time, then guided by ratings on the web, decided to give VI a go some years ago. Was fun, but not extraordinary.

Mychkine

Educated
As much as I love III, IV and V, that were my first RPG as a child, I think VI, for all it's flaws, has some incredible dungeon design. Long and tortuous, sometimes a bit obnoxious (like the magical heads filled dungeon) but (almost) always interesting and rewarding. I've never found any 3d games with such ambition in dungeon design and it is a pity - but also an explaination why an otherwise very flawed game still deserves attention today -.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Long and tortuous, sometimes a bit obnoxious (like the magical heads filled dungeon) but (almost) always interesting and rewarding.

Castle Darkmoor, I'm just making my way through there. The cavernous halls with dozens of the flying eyes are not a highlight alright. Overall the game is good, but it starts to drag (45 hours in). The combat alone doesn't keep me interested like it does in Wizardry.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I played VII first, then VI and afterwards I got blessed and played World of Xeen and it's the one of the best games of all time and M&M VI looks like the "special" cousin next to it.

I first played it a 7 years ago or so and ever since I replay it almost every year. I had a huge file where I wrote all the location coordinates and secrets and all in it but I didn't save it when I got my new computer :negative:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
All of that is highly subjective.
But judging the quality of a M&M based on "story" and "aesthetics" is totally the way to go :roll:

Bunch of storyfags and graphicwhores in my M&M thread. Begone!

What makes MM6 exploration so good has been discussed to death, in this very thread. Mychkine touched on some of it (the dungeons), I've extensively discussed the overworld design in the past. 1-5 have all done some other things better; octavius has argued the superiority of the MM2 combat system repeatedly, and he's right. Playing any of the later M&Ms, combat is a huge step back, whether it's 3-5's or 6-8's, and let's not even talk about 9's. But 6 peaked at what was always M&M's niche, and it's why many vote it as best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom