Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
There isn't any main quest time limit in World of Xeen is there? I just want to make sure my inner explore fag can run around and explore.

aleph

Arcane
There isn't any main quest time limit in World of Xeen is there? I just want to make sure my inner explore fag can run around and explore.

IIRC there is no time limit on the main quest. Your heroes can die of old age though.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Your heroes can die of old age though.
Xeen is harsher on time than MM3, but it's still nowhere near bad enough to be an issue. I did pretty much everything there was to do and my guys were all under 40 years iirc. And I wasted tons of time walking on the overworld and resting etc.

aleph

Arcane
Xeen is harsher on time than MM3, but it's still nowhere near bad enough to be an issue. I did pretty much everything there was to do and my guys were all under 40 years iirc. And I wasted tons of time walking on the overworld and resting etc.

It is not an issue but can get annoying if you really take your time exploring.

Though that druid quest helps with old age.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
None whatsoever. A time limit in M&M would completely negate the point. The only thing you have to keep an eye on is age, but I never had anyone go over 30 in MM3-5. As in MM3, there are ways (one on Cloudside, one on Darkside; the one on Darkside is more convenient) to remove all unnatural aging.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finally beat 8. Dropped it for a bit because it looked like the final area was gonna be one long slugfest with hp bloated abominations but earlier today I figured what the fuck, i got that far, might as well ghost it with invisibility. This turned out to be a pretty good plan, half an hour and the game's done.

Disappointed there was no boss battle with Escaton though.

Casual Hero

Augur
This is a very fun thread to read. I love Might and Magic. One I've never even seen is MM 8 though, do you think it is worth to buy it?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Yes, totally worth it. Here's what I had to say on MM8 in the past.

Only faggots say MM8 sucks. It's not as good as 6-7 in some ways, some people don't like recruiting NPCs (I don't mind), some people don't like the merging of race into class (I like it), but all in all it plays very similarly to 6-7. Like 7 it lacks the sprawling dungeons of 6, but they're ok, and some are actually pretty good. Dragons are a bit OP due to an oversigh that makes their standard attack never miss (and thus making it more powerful than their special attack... the latter also costs MP...). The real gamebreakers are liches though, the recruitable one especially (Vetrinus) is the most powerful character in the game, including anything you can make yourself).

But if you like the basic formula of MM, and especially the 6-7 variant, there's really no reason to skip 8.

Also, Arcomage.

MM8 is great and totally doesn't deserve all the hate it gets. I like the distinctive areas, and I think it does that better than MM7, but I think I prefer MM6's more organic blending of each area into the next. MM8 (and 7 for that matter) feels a bit more theme-park-ey with each region being its own completely separate little thing, but as you pointed out this also makes the zones very distinctive, and taken each on its own they're greatly designed.

I love the race/class system, you don't have many games where possible races include vampire, troll and dragon alongside the more typical knight and cleric. The minotaur is the only one that's truly useless I feel, for all the reasons you pointed.

I've removed some of the extraneous bits but you get the idea. It's a good game, and if you liked 7 you'll iike 8, they're very similar. IIRC Darth Roxor likes 8 more than 7. Mastermind finished 8 recently and liked it, his thoughts on the game are all over the last few pages.

Archibald

Arcane
Frankly I never understood why MM8 gets any hate, you know there exists MM9, everyone should hate it instead of MM8.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Everybody does hate 9, but 9 wasn't even finished so there's no point in discussing its merits. I think 8 is probably the better game of 6/7/8 but I still prefer 7 due to its superior exploits (practically infinite skill points later in the game beats the crap out of dragons and uber liches, any 1 of my mm7 party members could probably mop the floor with my entire mm8 party) since I'm a cheating scumbag at heart.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
None whatsoever. A time limit in M&M would completely negate the point. The only thing you have to keep an eye on is age, but I never had anyone go over 30 in MM3-5. As in MM3, there are ways (one on Cloudside, one on Darkside; the one on Darkside is more convenient) to remove all unnatural aging.
Really? In castle Pinehurst in M&MII there's a room with lots of doors, saying that the world will end if you pass the 1000th year. I thought that meant you had 100 years to complete the game

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
<_< and here I was hoping that Sheltem would call upon his army to conquer the galaxy and set the universe aflame

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
There's also the tiny little detail that your party will have died of old age before you get to the year 1000 :P

DaveO

Erudite
If I were to rank the more modern M&M games, then I'd put them in order of MM6, MM8 and MM7. Granted all three have exploits of some type that could make your party overpowered, but it's up to you on whether to find and use the exploits.

The minotaur class in MM8 has no special capability like the other available classes(like the Troll's stun or the Vampire's Levitate). That along with limited equipment options and very weak cleric capabilities, and you are far better off just choosing another class.
I have finished MM8 the most of all the three, so in my opinion it is likely the easiest to complete of the three.

Casual Hero

Augur
Here's a question for Might and Magic 7. I don't know what it is, but everytime I have a dwarf in my party, they are the only ones targeted by monsters. it's really annoying, but luckily my dwarf is a fighter. So, is this just coincidence, or are all the monsters in MM7 racist?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Monsters have different preferences. Some monsters (goblins I think) are in fact racist against dwarves. Him being always attacked might have more to do with him being a fighter, which are also more hated by monsters. Some people also claim that character in the first slot will be attacked the most but I don't know how true is that.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Supposedly, there is some preferential order for monsters to attack slots from left to right.

However, in MM7 the big thing is racial hatred. Dwarves are hated by almost everything you meet early in the game, especially goblins and troglodytes. It makes it seem that the entire world is after your dwarf fighter. Which it is, early on.

As far as classes go, I don't think they make any difference.

DaveO knows the game mechanics better than most though so he might have a different explanation.

DaveO

Erudite
Flamestryke's MM7 site has the monster preferences for attacking. Flamestryke's page is below:
http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/flamestryke/mm7/flamestrykes_mm7.html

The breakdown for the preferences to attack are as follows:
Preferred Enemy; if a monster has a preferred enemy, it will attack this one first and continue to do so, ignoring all others, until it has killed it. If the party has no such member, then the monster will behave as though it had no preferences. Note that some monsters have more than one preferred enemy. Some even have a preferred enemy of x, where x is a number; this means the monster will randomly elect a number of party members equal to x as preferred enemies. Several monsters have gender preferences. Classes are always referred to as their initial form, i.e. the name they had prior to any promotions. Hence, K = knight, T = Thief, M = Monk, D = Druid, ..., H = Human, E = Elf, G = Goblin, O = Dwarf, W = Women, X = Men. Note that D stands for Druids while O stands for Dwarves. However, "CP" would mean "Clerics & Paladins".

DaveO

Erudite
Apparently the breakdown codes on the Flamestryke page are from the Prima guide and thus incorrect.
The correct codes are as follows:
A=Archer
C=Cleric
D=Druid
E=Elf
G=Goblin
H=Human
K=Knight
M=Monk
O=Female
P=Paladin
R=Ranger
S=Sorcerer
T=Thief
W=Dwarf
X=Male

So, since the preferred target of Goblins=W that means any Dwarves in the party get preferential attacks until unconscious or dead.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Every time someone mentions Flamestryke I feel sad. She was true M&M sis :salute:

I'm glad someone is keeping her site up.

Casual Hero

Augur
Okay, cool. It's still annoying, but I guess it is kind of a neat feature, the fact that the enemies you fight are aware of race and all that.

DaveO

Erudite
Every time someone mentions Flamestryke I feel sad. She was true M&M sis :salute:

I'm glad someone is keeping her site up.

I'm glad Sorcerer's.net is hosting my page. The main use is for the patches, and maybe my Swords of Xeen information.
Flamestryke is an unfortunate reminder that we all have to die at some point.
But as the Gandalf quote goes, "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Luzur

Good Sir
Monsters have different preferences. Some monsters (goblins I think) are in fact racist against dwarves. Him being always attacked might have more to do with him being a fighter, which are also more hated by monsters. Some people also claim that character in the first slot will be attacked the most but I don't know how true is that.

Yes, Goblins hate Dwarves, Minotaurs/Sorceresses hate Druids, Undead hate Clerics etc etc

Its been like that since..MM3 i think, although genderbased "hate" was already in MM2.

Also what DaveO said.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom