Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress The Journal of a Fisherdwarf (Dwarf Fortress)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Welcome!

I have been playing Dwarf Fortress like a maniac the last couple of weeks now that I finally learned to play it. But one thing I noticed that even if awesome things happen, things will get lost like tears in the rain. To remedy this I thought why not create some kind of journal from the perspective of one the settlers and well, Alienman the Fisherdwarf was born! He will be joining Catchchamber and this colony has only existed a couple of months so you will be following it from the start basically.

Since this is my first codex playground-thingy please be gentle, and try to see passed the broken English :)
If you want a dwarf tell me. The first couple of immigration waves have already been named random nicknames, but if they don't have any roles in the written story so far the names can always be changed.

Okay, here goes!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later Winter 20 Obsidian – 125

Finally after several weeks on the road we have arrived. It was a hard road to travel, especially for my wife Norti who are not used to be out on the roads. As a fisherman I'm used to it.

The land around us is green and lush, the ground is soft and you can almost smell the iron ore hidden in the ground. Great ground for a new settlement, but it is not without dangers though. This is untamed lands, with goblins within earshot. But as the saying goes - nothing ventured, nothing gained!

My first impressions -
So what can I say about Catchchamber? Right now it is not much to look at. A fort completely made out of wood, and small is it also. But that is to be expected. We are part of the third immigration wave and the dwarfs here haven't had much time to build anything extravagant. Let's hope they have a still at least!

Late Winter 22 Obsidian – 125

We have settled in, and we have met all the other settlers here. What I didn't know is that my aunt and uncle have answered the call as well. Tempest and Gore. What a bunch, even my cousins Dood and Koliat are here. This sure makes things easier, being surrounded by friendly faces - faces I know.

The expedition leader Siggy has showed us around. There isn't much yet, but they have already done well in my book. In the side of the mountain there is some underground farming going on, there is even some top-side farming on the backside of the fort. The dining room is shared and is on the second floor of the fort. The only room on that floor, and the sleeping quarters are on the first floor. No time to carve out private rooms, not yet anyway she told me. She also told me that the stockpile room was easy to carve out since it's was mostly sand under us. The cellar is big, and hold all kind of stuff. But there is also a lot of vermin. I asked why they didn't bring any cats and she said they had to eat them on their way over here. Unlucky, but they have asked the merchants for some.

They have found iron already and they even have a smith, smelter and a wood furnace up and running. Manpower and skill is lacking though, so not much have been produced yet. But at least it is running. Koliat are trying to forge some iron swords.

RIArXek.jpg

6guWSvK.jpg

iamVTM8.jpg

I asked about the defenses. The fort look sturdy enough, but without a moat the dangers are apparent. He told me that they had some good hunters with them that can plink a goblin from here to the river. Besides he told me of the incident at Tamedchannel, whom had a moat dug out but it was the moat itself that eventually killed them. The first expedition was overrun and killed before the moat could be filled. The second expedition did finish the moat, but didn't fill it with water until zombies were clawing at their door which trapped the undead under water. Water don't kill zombies, but they can't swim either, so they just stood there with their heads above the water-line moaning – day and night. It drove the inhabitants of the fort mad, and in one last hooray they all attacked the submersed zombies only to get slain themselves. Or so the story goes anyway. Hmmm, maybe a moat is a bad idea.

SP6lAG2.jpg

Late Spring 1 Felsite – 126

I have been laboring hard for the last couple of months, but not much progress have been made. It's hard to get anything done since we are lacking in dwarfs. But today we had a large immigration wave. 26 dwarves have joined us in one go! This will surely help, but it also means trouble in the short team at least. We have to expand the living quarters fast. The small dormitory will not be enough. The dining area is too small as well.

In other news. Tempest and Gore had a baby. A small baby boy. The first dwarf born here in Catchchamber. It has lifted our spirits, and it makes everything here feel more permanent. We are all here for the long haul, and if not for our-self we will have to improve the colony for the children, and our future children. They named him Boyd.

Late Spring 9 Felsite – 126

We have been harassed by buzzards of all creatures. No one has been wounded so far, but we are afraid that they might snatch one of the children so we put together a small militia for protection. Salty is now a militia commander. Tempest was also drafted. They are usually our resident hunters - we are thinking that they might actually have a chance of plinking those damn birds out of the sky.

oW56KEE.jpg

FjqbDqY.jpg

Late Spring 27 Felsite – 126

We have been ordered (finally I might say) to start to dig out the main living area. It is going to be a hard and long process, but it needs to be done. The living situation is terrible. We are also carving out a temporary dormitory in the cellar. We can always transform it to storage later on. I noticed that a well has been dug out as well. That was some quick thinking! It is not finished yet though, but soon. The only thing missing is the well itself and water, but a underground trench to the river has already been built.

9ZOXnfT.jpg

Early Summer 17 Hematite - 126

A human trading caravan came through today. We traded some useless stone and bone crafts for leather. Many of our settlers that don't have anything to do have taken up hunting as a pass-time. We have been butchering badgers for weeks now. We even had to expand the area for refuse with the all dead badger bodies stacking up. I know what we will be eating for the next couple of months...

Mid Summer 2 Malachite – 126

Norti was taken by a fey mood! I didn't think she had it in her! It looks like she found all the stuff she needs. Thank the maker for that. I have heard stories about dwarfs going insane from not being able to craft what they have envisioned.

Mid Summer 7 Malachite – 126

Norti have created her masterpiece. It's a crossbow, and it's looking great. I don't know what to think about the spiders though. Our broker said it was worth around 28800. If only we could sell it, we would be living the dream here with all that amount of gold! But Norti said I would have to take it from her cold dead hands. I guess selling it is out of question.

RwfjMT7.jpg

Mid Summer 21 Malachite – 126

13 new immigrants arrived today. Do we have room? I don't think so, but we will have to make do I guess. We can't send them away. But the resources will get strained. I'm going to ask the expedition leader for another still. What would we ever do if the booze ran out? God forbid.

Mid Summer 21 (Later same day) Malachite – 126

A new militia squad have been created. This one focus on close combat with sword and board. Luckily for me I wasn't drafted. The squad is entirely made up of newcomers. I don't know how I feel about that, but I guess it's a chance for them to prove themselves... if that is ever needed. They will train on the roof of the fort. The creation or weapon and armor-stands have been issued.

VpBD03L.jpg

Mid Summer 21 (Even later) Malachite – 126

What is going on? Is it a coup? I don't know. But Two-Face, one of the the new immigrants who was drafted into the militia was chosen to represent us as mayor. All this in one day? I don't recall that there was a vote! Oh well. I better just go with it for now. I don't want to end up with a sword in my back. He is no longer drafted for the squad (Sammy took his place), and he has already issued orders that a separate room is to be carved out just for him. He is also demanding an office and a dining room.

Early Autumn 6 Limestone - 126

We have been really busy the last couple of months. A lye and a soap maker has been built, and right at this moment they are making their first soap bars. Time to do a full body scrub-down! We also have a hospital up and running, with beds, stone tables, traction benches and all other hospital-needs. The chief medical dwarf even got his own room carved out - before the mayor and everything! I'm guessing Two-Face can't be all bad since this was a priority. If I'm honest here, he hasn't been shown to be any problem at all. He is working like the rest of us, but I guess time will tell what kind of dwarf the mayor is. The well is also completed and it's working great. We have clean flowing water from the river. Not that I'm all that keen on drinking water, but it's good to have if we get any sick or injured dwarfs.

0K3q8Wq.jpg

c8D7pK8.jpg

9RUR4vV.jpg

....and that is all for now, more is coming!

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Early Autumn 27 Limestone - 126

The liaison from the Mountainhomes was here and they had a caravan packed with dogs and cats in cages. We bought them all, as it is needed! Finally the pest will get eaten, and we can train some war dogs for protection. Maybe even a hunting dog or two for the hunters. Let's just hope we have an animal trainer!

divOHYB.jpg
DJtH3gm.jpg

o2dtdqg.jpg

Our broker also bought some weapons, and some kegs of booze. Good thinking there! The merchant was happy and made a profit around 2000 coins. Not bad I would say.

Mid Autumn 12 Sandstone – 126

I got a pet! A war dog was assigned to me and I didn't even ask for one. At first I didn't know what to think, but now I'm in love. I just hope I never have to use the dog for war though. I named him Ravod.

rlKfxR0.jpg

Mid Autumn 18 Sandstone – 126

More good news. Me and Norti had a baby girl! We named her Lorby. If I wasn't motivated enough, I sure am now! When it's finally time for her to take over this place I want it to be a palace dwarves all over will respect and admire. In other news. More migrants. News of our success must have spread far and wide. Still. We don't have any more room, stop coming over here!

Late Summer 22 Timber – 126

The rooms for the mayor has been carved out. The stone has been smoothed and he got our finest furniture. Everything to make him happy. The thing is, even if it was a lot of extra work I'm actually glad that he is happy since now we can concentrate on more pressing concerns. A new dining room and better bedrooms. Let's just hope the mayor can get his act together soon enough though. He has been oo-ing and aa-ing all day in his rooms.

YALcKqK.jpg
bw0cXdW.jpg

A thing I found funny is that our chief medical dwarf Alloy had a statue of himself commissioned and placed outside his office. Alloy must like Alloy. Oh well, better to just ignore it. If I ever need medical attention I wouldn't want him on my bad side. What is up with the slugs though?

rY2tRVb.jpg

Early Winter 27 Moonstone – 126

Domas went mad today. We believe he might die since he refuses to drink or eat. He went into a fey mood a couple of weeks ago and he wanted to create some kind of clothing, but we couldn't provide him with the materials he wanted. He wanted gold or some such, stuff we don't have... yet. This is a sad day indeed. I hope he snaps out of it, but what I have been hearing, these things are usually fatal.

Late Winter 29 Obsidian – 126

I was told Domas has been missing for a week now. I don't think we will find him alive. The mayor has put together a small group to go looking for him. I volunteered. We will start at the river.

MlBwc4R.jpg

Early Spring 1 Granite – 127

Domas has been found dehydrated right outside the fort. I have no idea how we didn't find him earlier. Happy new year.

Is4TObx.jpg

Early Spring 3 Granite – 127

Some good news at last. Not that things have been all bad, it is just that the death of Domas have struck us hard. It was such a waste. Anyway. Back to the good news. Our prison area has been finished. I don't really see the use for it, but I guess it's better to have one than not. Now to the great stuff. A fantastic dining hall has been completed! Now we have room to eat and drink without being in each others faces. I see that some dwarfs still hang around on the second floor of the fort, I don't know why, myself I prefer stone over wood.

Four-Eye was also made hammerer.

k2RVBxm.jpg
a8niQLq.jpg

Early Spring 18 Granite – 127

I found a nice statue in the cellar dormitory today. It's Siggy, our old expedition leader. I have only been here a couple of months but it still made me feel nostalgic for some reason.

VNMqhsO.jpg

Early Spring 23 Granite – 127

20 new migrants! We have food and drink, but it is room we are lacking! I'm considering writing a letter back home asking dwarfs not to come, and if that not work, making up a story how bad life is out here. We can't provide for more. It's a logistic nightmare already. I'm glad I'm not in charge.

Mid Spring 6 Felsite – 127

The military have built a small outpost by the river with limestone blocks. It's not looking pretty but I believe it could provide effective. There is no way to enter it from the outside. You have to travel through the basement and a small passage to enter it. Actually, I'm kinda impressed, not by its looks but by the idea behind it and how it now all turned out.

1SYMSM6.jpg
WptLN6R.jpg

Early Summer 3 Hematite – 127

I asked the bookkeeper Cheese if I could have a look at the stocks and he showed me the lists. It it starting to look rather impressive. We have loads of food, and the drinks are pouring out of the stills. Some of the guys working the kitchen and the stills are developing a real knack for it. We have been eating and drinking good!

IoXzG53.jpg

Early Summer 13 Hematite – 127

The mayor has ordered us to carve out individual rooms for us regular peasants. Exciting times. We might be able to get some privacy now. It has been a long time since me and Norti had some fun if you get my drift!(to whoever reads this I suppose, and if you do I might be dead. Scary thought) But this project is going to take a long time, and much stone has to be mined. Stone for cabinets and doors, and wood for beds. If we don't get any more immigrants I'm thinking this might be done a year from now... but for now, back to the dormitory.

sLtw0Wc.jpg

Mid Summer 16 Malachite – 127

9 more migrants. My letter back home to the Mountain didn't work I presume. Well, nothing can be done about it. They are here now, and we will have to accommodate. That means more booze!

More to come!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Remember if you want a dwarf just post!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mid Summer 28 Malachite – 127

By Grom! We got assigned one of the new rooms. The mayor have decided to go after seniority, now that all the “important” people have rooms. I couldn't be happier! We only have one bed, so we will have to sleep in turns. Still better than having 10 other stinking and farting dwarfs in the same room.

T9RDWeq.jpg
FxpPDLE.jpg

Early Autumn 5 Limestone – 127

Our dear chief medical dwarf have done it again. He has commissioned another statue. He had it glazed even. Not only that, he had his old statue taken down and glazed as well. Do we have the time and resources for this? At least it's not slugs this time around, thank god for that. He seems a bit obsessed by himself nonetheless.

PKPw02x.jpg

Four-Eye have made an engraving on the wall on the outside of our room. It's a picture of the yak-bone crossbow Norti made. I didn't think it would do that much of an impression, but what do I know? I'm not a craftdwarf, just a simple fisherdwarf. I just hope there is nothing else behind this – I better keep an eye on Four-Eye (hah!)

4uwDY8R.jpg

Early Autumn 16 Limestone - 127
Today the liaison from the Mountainhomes came by. He told us some grim news. It seems The Prestigious Evil have been taking over a lot of our colonies. This is foreboding if nothing else. I will suggest that the mayor step up on the drafting of the militia. I don't want to be made slave for the goblins, or something worse!

neuSf3J.jpg

Early Autumn 22 Limestone – 127

I made the suggestion, and what do you think happened? He drafted me! I have never fought anything in my whole life. I know nothing of combat, this is bad, real bad. But I can't say no either. I can't expect others making this sacrifice if I'm not willing myself... I just can't shake the feeling of dread that I'm feeling. Norti is helping me overcome my fear. Such a good dwarf she is.

BkHZ03v.jpg

Mid Autumn 5 Sandstone – 127

I have been training hard for the last couple of days. The lads in the militia are good dwarfs, fair and not all too serious when talked to, but they take their roles very seriously. They know our success out here depends on the quality of our soldiers, especially now when a goblin army are marching around and destroying everything in its wake.

I have chosen my weapons. I found a nice iron spear in the back of the armory that looked nice. The combat style suits me - keeping as much distance between me and the enemy as possible and just stab. Stab at the bad guys!

MzrGecD.jpg

To keep light on my feet, I took a leather buckler. Locally made!

zRvV4Lr.jpg

To protect my chest area, I found a iron breastplate that no one had nabbed yet. Lucky me. Lets hope it is well forged and can protect me from sharp sticks.

p75Scz5.jpg

I might pick up more equipment later on when I get stronger. I'm already feeling a bit weighted down just by this. The militia commander Salty tells me that I will get used to it rather quick, I just have to keep up with the training.

Note to self. I will have to remember to congratulate Koliat also. He finally made it, and is now an official Catchchamber metalsmith.

Cp6TRnx.jpg

BONUS PICTURE!

lp7w6rC.jpg

The colony in 3D, using Stonesense Isometric view... and more to come soon!

Jester

Arbiter
Well someone need to be first.

Urok Darkshaft
Miner? i guess

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Well someone need to be first.

Urok Darkshaft
Miner? i guess

I was thinking more in the line that I will name one of the dwarfs after your forum name.

Anyway, there is a rookie miner now named Jester. He came with the last migration wave. Now to see if you get noted by history.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Late Autumn 20 Timber – 127

The living area is looking better and better for each day! Shame I have to be on the surface that much to train, but it is for my own good. You could say my life depends on it (gulp). More private rooms have been carved out, and the unlucky ones have gotten a better dormitory as well. Better than sleeping in that dry sandy area - way too close to the dump and refuse pile. For some unknown reason some of the dwarfs prefer it there instead of this upgrade. This just tells me that I will never be able to understand other dwarfs fully.

GqlGYhA.jpg

Late Autumn 26 Timber – 127

The mayor is planning an expedition underground, and built a tunnel as a security asset. It is small, but still impressive. All the stone is smoothed and the engraving on the walls are interesting. I'm afraid that I might get picked for this expedition, but nothing from the mayor just yet.

dNr94Ua.jpg

skkgibb.jpg

Y3cMhHR.jpg

mj8Np9F.jpg

Early Winter 10 Moonstone – 127

The mayor have been very secretive, but a few weeks ago our miners found large underground caverns. A way down was built, and for some reason even smoothed and engraved. I guess the mayor want any eventual monster coming through to get amazed by our cultural advancements before it eats us all. Anyhow. While a small outpost is being set up we have been ordered to guard the entrance. We haven't seen any action yet (not that I'm looking forward to it) but it is unnerving down here – like some ancient evil creature is watching us from the shadows. Luckily I have my brothers in arms with me, and my trusty old dog to keep my nerves in check.

rLgeaGO.jpg

(This outpost looks a bit different now, since I had a crash after building it)

I also overheard a conversation between the carpenters that they have been ordered to create a lot of trap components. Good thinking, I just hope we will be told where these traps will be placed. I don't want to be impaled by a menacing wooden spike!

QSLCsZm.jpg

Mid Winter 10 Opal – 127

We had our first combat! A big ugly troll made it through the entrance to the caverns, and we had to fight it in the stairs. Our militia captain Meb went in first with us following close. As it was, It was not needed. Meb killed the troll by himself in a one-sided battle. I'm thinking this is just a first taste of what is to come.

TvVtwSk.jpg

NUvJmlc.jpg
FCbZFHx.jpg

UI4ur3f.jpg
yFs7Qpd.jpg

Late Winter 25 Obsidian – 127

The thresher Limbo was found dead in the caverns. I personally didn't know the dwarf, but seeing your own dead you can't help feeling sad. We took his body to the chief medical dwarf Alloy, and he concluded that he died from bite wounds. Apparently he got bitten to death by a giant bat. Not the prettiest way to go I have to say. Ugh.

ikcoQd3.jpg

rPnhaXQ.jpg

Late Winter 28 Obsidian – 127

We named the giant bat Ishnist “Barfear” for its deeds and went hunting. We found the giant bat already wounded so it was an easy kill. Meng scored the kill.

aeGVL6S.jpg
03KsPeK.jpg

xG3ex6G.jpg

Mid Spring 7 Slate – 128

More migrants. They never stop coming. We are 117 dwarfs strong now. Never thought we would increase our population this fast. It's hard to get to know them all - many faces you pass in the corridors you have never seen before. I think I liked it better when we were fewer. Maybe I just have to get used to it? I don't know.

Mid Spring 27 Slate – 128

Today Siggy was made captain of the guard. Very deserved I think. She got her own bedroom, dining room and study now, fitting for a dwarf of her stature. I know she will be a just ruler over justice (I hope).

VSBgv3w.jpg
Ls3xFuW.jpg

Early Summer 13 Hematite – 128

Our trappers caught a bunch of elk birds, and decided that instead of killing them for meat and leather, they could tame and put them to pasture. I have never tasted an elk bird egg before, but there is a first for everything right? Anyway, they did a pretty good job. A pasture has been created in the caverns, filled with nestboxes. The cook Stud is eagerly awaiting the first eggs and I'm eagerly awaiting to see what he can do with those eggs.

02MbK6i.jpg

f8TGshi.jpg

That is all for now!

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Good stuff. I'd like to be some kind of craftsdwarf, or an axedwarf, or failing that, an anydwarf.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Okay, you are all in. Part of the latest migration. Lets hope you all make a mark on history and I don't find you dead in a ditch somewhere :)

I will play some more today, so update today or tomorrow I hope.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Virgintraded this is not. Nevertheless sign me up even if this is not an arctic volcano fortress.

I know, the area might be a bit soft. I'm hoping for massive invasions though. I created a world where the goblins have a pretty big population compared to the other races.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
You will all be in. I have written down all the names, and I will continue soon. Just got busy - new game releases and stuff :P

dextermorgan

Arcane
I'd bitch about the lack of updates but am too busy routing lava and water ducts to the 5-level deep pit I dug under the a retractable bridge. In peacetime it can manufacture obsidian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom