Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Great Whale Road (historical, turn based, cards, hexes, C&C, management)

Codexers cannot handle that historical reality is different than their imprinted medieval morality permits.

CywxCjL.gif

BB has been pretty well received on the codex, actually.

That is my point precisely. I am not sure that it would have been 10 years ago or more but now, everbody rolls with it. 10 years into the future, you will all be rolling with girldicks, manpussies, neovaginas, xirs and theys and whatnot, so be the better person and start adapting now. Resistance is futile.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Shield Maidens were a rarity in Old Norse culture, thats why you get Lagertha remarked upon as one o Ragnar Hairy Breeches generals when Danish great army were ravagin continent. It were an oddity to ave a woman take this role, they had their own role in society, an many rights that yeah would make Christian women seem repressed in comparison. Dint mean they cunt amass power an fame in their roles just cos they weren't a major part on battlefield. You had that Aud Deep Minded and other lasses who took control o their households upon husbands death, as is their right, an led them ably. Shaggy (later Finehair when he'd conquered Normandy Norway) Haralds wife were one o his most trusted advisors an a shrewd political player. Not to mention all lasses manipulatin their men an directin feuds wi a quiet word or a glance in Sagas.

I'd say you'd do better if you stuck to history rather than crudely insertin an inventin bollocks to please special snowflakes who want a game about a thousand year old culture to represent them.

You wanna game where all these modern minorities are represented wait for someone to make a game about Loki, beastiality, sex changes, bdsm an all that shit in his history.

Last edited:
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The game looks interesting. Not a huge fan of the card combat though, I'd rather have basic animations than something so disconnected from the combat. It's like I'd rather have a movie with weak practical effects than floaty CG crap unless it's a full blown CG extravaganza, at least that's how card based combat feels to me. It's gamey and out of place unless everything is a card game. Having a card game that is an abstraction of battle is ok if that's all there is, but when you go halfway to giving me an actual tactical battle set up and then rip away the simulation for something that is too obviously abstract it really bugs me. I get that all game combat is abstract and governed by rules in some way, but presenting it as one layer of abstraction and then giving me another sucks.

The "historically accurate trannies" is also pretty dumb. Also that two-spirit stuff cherry blossom brought up is typical hollywood indian crap, but with a fancy new PC coat of paint. Instead of "all indians live in teepees and have headdresses" when only a few tribes did, it's now "all natives had trannies" when only a few tribes did (and it might have just been homosexuals, but whatever.) It just irks me to see stuff like the Mi'kmaq & Maliseet cultures trampled and have this stuff presented as "always there" when it obviously wasn't, especially when it comes from sanctimonious SJW asshats who've decided that wiping out native cultures is ok when they do it cause they're on the "right side of history".

Mustawd

The game looks interesting. Not a huge fan of the card combat though, I'd rather have basic animations than something so disconnected from the combat. It's like I'd rather have a movie with weak practical effects than floaty CG crap unless it's a full blown CG extravaganza, at least that's how card based combat feels to me.

Even a two frame animation, like goldbox games, would be preferable.

Mustawd

That is my point precisely. I am not sure that it would have been 10 years ago or more but now, everbody rolls with it. 10 years into the future, you will all be rolling with girldicks, manpussies, neovaginas, xirs and theys and whatnot, so be the better person and start adapting now. Resistance is futile.

*sigh*

These idiots will never get that this kind of holier than thou attitude is counter productive.

I'm for gay marriage. I was way back when. So what? What does it have to do with video games? Beyond the fact that you feel like you need to educate us that is.

What's hilarious is that SJWs would rather feel important and morally superior than actually achieve their stated goals of tolerance/acceptance of diverse groups, such as LGBT. They'd rather be obnoxious and annoyingly hipster and in your face about how you should feel and blah blah blah.

Instead of, you know...respecting the fact that people have a wide variety of tolerance to other groups. So maybe stop trying to play the hero and just make a game about trannies without trying to convince me your farts smell good.

Do you even realize that something like 80% of all the vitriol SJWs get is in their presentation of their arguments? SJWs are the equivalent of the self righteous asshole who thinks he's better than everyone because of XYZ. In the mean time, people are looking at XYZ and thinking, "huh, sounds legit I guess. Yah, ok" (see Willem Dafoes character in Boondock Saints as a good example of a cool gay character), but are instantly turned off when the SJW then proceeds to talk about how XYZ is so great and that you are an idiot for not realizing how great XYZ is. Look jerk..I already was thinking XYZ was cool. Stop being an asshole, and leave me alone.

EDIT: Not to mention the fact that no one seems to want to point out that another huge factor in SJWism in video games is this insistence that there must be romances. Why can't the guy just be gay? Why does he have to have a damn romance? I hate romances in my games. I don't play a hack and slash to woo the bar maiden. It's just dumb. So gay romances are dumb. Straight romances are dumb. Inter species romances are dumb. What I'm trying to say is that romances in video games are dumb. So stop making them and you'll probably get a lot more people accepting LGBT or whatever token group you want to insert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The game looks interesting. Not a huge fan of the card combat though, I'd rather have basic animations than something so disconnected from the combat. It's like I'd rather have a movie with weak practical effects than floaty CG crap unless it's a full blown CG extravaganza, at least that's how card based combat feels to me. It's gamey and out of place unless everything is a card game. Having a card game that is an abstraction of battle is ok if that's all there is, but when you go halfway to giving me an actual tactical battle set up and then rip away the simulation for something that is too obviously abstract it really bugs me. I get that all game combat is abstract and governed by rules in some way, but presenting it as one layer of abstraction and then giving me another sucks. "

That is the type of thing you will only know when you play the game. The first time I saw Battle Brothers, I thought that the character models without legs would ruin my immersion completely. Of course, little I know that the whole game was made to look like a board game in digital format. The same thing could be applied here, if done right. You need to play the thing first before you can make your mind. Everything in it seems professional. Given them the benefit of the doubt.

The "historically accurate trannies" is also pretty dumb. Instead of "all indians live in teepees and have headdresses" when only a few tribes did, it's now "all natives had trannies" when only a few tribes did (and it might have just been homosexuals, but whatever.)

They only said “that some Germanic tribes were quite relaxed about the definition of gender, and that there were men defining themselves as women and vice versa”. Nothing in the promised content suggest that the story will be a SJW fest Biowhore style.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Do you even realize that something like 80% of all the vitriol SJWs get is in their presentation of their arguments? SJWs are the equivalent of the self righteous asshole who thinks he's better than everyone because of XYZ. In the mean time, people are looking at XYZ and thinking, "huh, sounds legit I guess. Yah, ok" (see Willem Dafoes character in Boondock Saints as a good example of a cool gay character), but are instantly turned off when the SJW then proceeds to talk about how XYZ is so great and that you are an idiot for not realizing how great XYZ is. Look jerk..I already was thinking XYZ was cool. Stop being an asshole, and leave me alone.

If we protest and moan about anything that happens to mention something remotely close to gender issues we are no better than SJW types. Criticizing aberrations like BG:SD is one thing, but blabbing about this subject like a broken record is pure fanaticism.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I don't gi a crap about all this inclusivity shit, I just want games set in authentic as possible historical settings. Histories more fuckin interestin than fantasy oftimes, an dilutin it to make shit accessible to players, well thats why we've ad so many years o decline, too much accessibility, too little adaptability.

A user named cat

So it's a tranny version of Baten Kaitos? I would rather play Solitaire on the toilet.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They don't even mention the SJW things on their Steam page as far as I can see. So there's is hope despite them being Austrians.

A dynamic event system which covers all areas of medieval life from farming to family feuds.

Sounds good.

I still think that a card system is out of place and I wonder if hexes are the perfect choice for the small battle maps.

The "SJW" thing about the game that you morons are blowing out of proportion is as such only because you morons are blowing it out of proportion. It's not like the devs have said anything to the effect of "we have Transgender Viking Rights Movements Factions in the game".

In short, the usual:

CywxCjL.gif

oscar

Arcane
A warrior deciding to bury himself with a super expensive comb or jewellery means he was actually a transvestite?

Historical examples of 'transexualism' are (rarest) shamans of certain cultures and (most common) pre-pubescent boys being painted up in women's clothing and sodomised (something the LGBT community used to be on board with but slowly shuffled away from upon going mainstream).

oscar

Arcane
"enjoys literally zero political support" in 2016 (but weren't disavowed by mainstream LGBT advocacy groups until into the 90s). I won't comment anymore to stop this from de-railing but in general you might find reading people's posts helps before replying to them (apologies if 60 words stretched your attention span too much).

Mustawd

in general you might find reading people's posts helps before replying to them (apologies if 60 words stretched your attention span too much).

Give me a break. You make it sound like LGBT groups were even all that organized in the 90s. Sorry, but if you want people to believe your posts maybe a little credibility would help. and blog posts and wikipedia entries don't really help that much.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm for gay marriage. I was way back when. So what? What does it have to do with video games? Beyond the fact that you feel like you need to educate us that is. Ok, I'm not gonna get triggered. I promise...I promise...
Seconded.

I just wanted to add this:
Takei revealed that not only is he disappointed in Sulu being gay, but he tried to talk the filmmakers out of doing it.

Mustawd

I think the best implemented gay character in a movie, by far, has been Willem Dafoe's detective character in Boondock Saints. Dude is a badass. Through and through. So he likes pee pee. Who gives a shit?

It was a great character and his homosexuality was a piece of the character, but did not define him. I think this is most of my problem with these SJW characters. Without their "diversity" they are hollow shells. How about making a good character first? And if them being gay kind of fits in with the theme and makes it better...why not? Kind of like how 90% of characters in movies don't go around talking about how they are straight. How do we even know they are?

Take almost any great character in a movie...anything that defines them as straight? Could they be gay? bi? Who fucking knows!!?? Who fucking cares?

hivemind

I think the best implemented gay character, by far, has been Mustawd in his RPGCodex account.

It was a great character and his homosexuality was a piece of that character, but did not define him.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think the best implemented gay character in a movie, by far, has been Willem Dafoe's detective character in Boondock Saints. Dude is a badass. Through and through. So he likes pee pee. Who gives a shit?
I think how they portrayed Omar Little in the Wire was pretty badass too.

Neanderthal

Arcane
A warrior deciding to bury himself with a super expensive comb or jewellery means he was actually a transvestite?

Aye this weren't an example o tranwhateverism, combs, jewellery an vanity products are found in many Viking graves, the Norseman were a vain lot, grew their hair long an kept it well groomed an they washed quite regularly compared to standard in western Europe at time. Had quality clothing to adorn em, an sought out good foreign wear such as silk, English wool etc. They weren't half naked, fur clad, biker leather (why when gambeson an not to mention mail is so much more effective?) wearin, tattood an shaven headed thugs, they were a warrior elite who prized poetry, kennings an cunning wordplay as much as valour in battle. Their illiterate ciulture actually helped here, as poets had to remember and memorise the great lists and verses of the eddas and sagas, makin recitation an accomplishment an not just a dry repeating of words.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom