Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Elder Scrolls Go Online

Luzur

Good Sir
I can't believe that I'm trying to make sense of ES lore but anyway....what exactly is the big deal with Thalmor then? Is it good or bad that they want to destroy the towers? What would happen with this no-linear time? Since everything is a dream by the Godhead anyway, and I assume he'll wake up eventually and fuck everything up why would it matter?
The Thalmor want to destroy the last tower and return the Hub to a state of no-linear time (without Akatosh, Dragon Break, etc...) because it was like that in their ancestral home Aldmeris. If they succeed anything can happen, see for exemple this book:
“No one understands what happened when the Selectives danced on that tower. It would be easy to dismiss the whole matter as nonsense were it not for the Amulet of Kings. Even the Elder Scrolls do not mention it -- let me correct myself, the Elder Scrolls cannot mention it. When the Moth priests attune the Scrolls to the timeless time their glyphs always disappear. The Amulet of Kings, however, with its oversoul of emperors, can speak of it at length. According to Hestra, Cyrodiil became an Empire across the stars. According to Shor-El, Cyrodiil became an egg. Most say something in a language they can only speak sideways. The Council has collected texts and accounts from all of its provinces, and they only offer stories that never coincide, save on one point: all the folk of Tamriel during the Middle Dawn, in whatever 'when' they were caught in, tracked the fall of the eight stars. And that is how they counted their days.”

Mehra Nabisi, Dunmer, Triune Mistress of the New Temple:
“Accounts of the Middle Dawn are the province of the Empire of Men, and proof of the deceit that call themselves the Aedra. Eight stars fell on Tamriel, one for each iniquity that Lorkhan made clear to the world. Veloth read these signs, and he told Boethiah, who confirmed them, and he told Mephala, who made wards against them, and he told Azura, who sent ALMSIVI to steer the True Folk clear of harm. Even the Four Corners of the House of Troubles rose to protect the periphery of your madness. We watched our borders and saw them shift like snakes, and saw you run around in it like the spirits of old, devoid of math, without your if-thens, succumbing to the Ever Now like slaves of the slim folly, stasis. Do not ask us where we were when the Dragon Broke, for, of all the world, only we truly know, and we might just show you how to break it again.”

R'leyt-harhr, Khajiit, Tender to the Mane:
“Do you mean, where were the Khajiit when the Dragon Broke? R'leyt tells you where: recording it. 'One thousand eight years,' you've heard it. You think the Cyro-Nordics came up with that all on their own. You humans are better thieves than even Rajhin! While you were fighting wars with phantoms and giving birth to your own fathers, it was the Mane that watched the ja-Kha'jay, because the moons were the only constant, and you didn't have the sugar to see it. We'll give you credit: you broke Alkosh something fierce, and that's not easy. Just don't think you solved what you accomplished by it, or can ever solve it. You did it again with Big Walker, not once, but twice! Once at Rimmen, which we'll never learn to live with. The second time it was in Daggerfall, or was it Sentinel, or was it Wayrest, or was it in all three places at once? Get me, Cyrodiil? When will you wake up and realize what really happened to the Dwarves?”

Mannimarco, God of Worms, the Necromancers:
“The Three Thieves of Morrowind could tell you where they were. So could the High King of Alinor, who was the one who broke it in the first place. There are others on this earth that could, too: Ysmir, Pelinal, Arnand the Fox or should I say Arctus? The Last Dwarf would talk, if they would let him. As for myself, I was here and there and here again, like the rest of the mortals during the Dragon Break. How do you think I learned my mystery? The Maruhkati Selectives showed us all the glories of the Dawn so that we might learn, simply: as above, so below.”

Yes, everything is a dream (or kapa as Paarthurnax in Skyrim calls it). The Godhead already tried to wake-up, or do you think that Alduin the World-Eater was just a big bad dragon wanting to kill people just for the sake of it? Even Paarthurnax says that Alduin was there to bring the next kapa (or dream), he just not anticipated a Dragonborn to show up that somehow was also CHIM, a sentient part of the dream.

basically it is a dream that is a game.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, everything is a dream (or kapa as Paarthurnax in Skyrim calls it). The Godhead already tried to wake-up, or do you think that Alduin the World-Eater was just a big bad dragon wanting to kill people just for the sake of it? Even Paarthurnax says that Alduin was there to bring the next kapa (or dream), he just not anticipated a Dragonborn to show up that somehow was also CHIM, a sentient part of the dream.

Youtube Link?

Sul

Savant

Youtube Link?
Skip to 4:50

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember that, but he doesn't say anything about dreams/Godhead/CHIM/etc. He talks the standard "end of the world"-thingy.

Sul

Savant
I remember that, but he doesn't say anything about dreams/Godhead/CHIM/etc. He talks the standard "end of the world"-thingy.
No, he talks about the kapa (or it's kalpa? I can't remember how to write it right) and how Alduin the "World-Eater" may bring the end of the current World/Hub (which engulfs everything from the Dreamsleve to Nirn) and pave the way for the next one. It's pretty obvious.
Ah, the joys of an universe that explains itself by subtlety and metaphors instead of an universal truth that is constantly hammered down your throat.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I can't believe that I'm trying to make sense of ES lore but anyway....what exactly is the big deal with Thalmor then? Is it good or bad that they want to destroy the towers? What would happen with this no-linear time? Since everything is a dream by the Godhead anyway, and I assume he'll wake up eventually and fuck everything up why would it matter?
The Thalmor want to destroy the last tower and return the Hub to a state of no-linear time (without Akatosh, Dragon Break, etc...) because it was like that in their ancestral home Aldmeris. If they succeed anything can happen, see for exemple this book:
“No one understands what happened when the Selectives danced on that tower. It would be easy to dismiss the whole matter as nonsense were it not for the Amulet of Kings. Even the Elder Scrolls do not mention it -- let me correct myself, the Elder Scrolls cannot mention it. When the Moth priests attune the Scrolls to the timeless time their glyphs always disappear. The Amulet of Kings, however, with its oversoul of emperors, can speak of it at length. According to Hestra, Cyrodiil became an Empire across the stars. According to Shor-El, Cyrodiil became an egg. Most say something in a language they can only speak sideways. The Council has collected texts and accounts from all of its provinces, and they only offer stories that never coincide, save on one point: all the folk of Tamriel during the Middle Dawn, in whatever 'when' they were caught in, tracked the fall of the eight stars. And that is how they counted their days.”

“Accounts of the Middle Dawn are the province of the Empire of Men, and proof of the deceit that call themselves the Aedra. Eight stars fell on Tamriel, one for each iniquity that Lorkhan made clear to the world. Veloth read these signs, and he told Boethiah, who confirmed them, and he told Mephala, who made wards against them, and he told Azura, who sent ALMSIVI to steer the True Folk clear of harm. Even the Four Corners of the House of Troubles rose to protect the periphery of your madness. We watched our borders and saw them shift like snakes, and saw you run around in it like the spirits of old, devoid of math, without your if-thens, succumbing to the Ever Now like slaves of the slim folly, stasis. Do not ask us where we were when the Dragon Broke, for, of all the world, only we truly know, and we might just show you how to break it again.”

“Do you mean, where were the Khajiit when the Dragon Broke? R'leyt tells you where: recording it. 'One thousand eight years,' you've heard it. You think the Cyro-Nordics came up with that all on their own. You humans are better thieves than even Rajhin! While you were fighting wars with phantoms and giving birth to your own fathers, it was the Mane that watched the ja-Kha'jay, because the moons were the only constant, and you didn't have the sugar to see it. We'll give you credit: you broke Alkosh something fierce, and that's not easy. Just don't think you solved what you accomplished by it, or can ever solve it. You did it again with Big Walker, not once, but twice! Once at Rimmen, which we'll never learn to live with. The second time it was in Daggerfall, or was it Sentinel, or was it Wayrest, or was it in all three places at once? Get me, Cyrodiil? When will you wake up and realize what really happened to the Dwarves?”

“The Three Thieves of Morrowind could tell you where they were. So could the High King of Alinor, who was the one who broke it in the first place. There are others on this earth that could, too: Ysmir, Pelinal, Arnand the Fox or should I say Arctus? The Last Dwarf would talk, if they would let him. As for myself, I was here and there and here again, like the rest of the mortals during the Dragon Break. How do you think I learned my mystery? The Maruhkati Selectives showed us all the glories of the Dawn so that we might learn, simply: as above, so below.”

See that is what is kind of cool about the whole setting, lore, etc...the irony that the whole world and all the petty machinations and guilds and empires and everything exists only by accident and so precariously, all parts of the same thing. Makes it all seem so pathetic. Reminds me a bit of the Cthulhu mythos which sees humanity as just an insignificant speck of dust caught between machinations of timeless forces that existed an eternity before and will still exist an eternity after humans are long gone. It's a neat twist on the traditional fantasy world, yet Beth is content to just shit on all the effort of making a really well fleshed out and potentially different setting just making banal games...

I still don't understand the motivations of Alduin though; bringing the next dream would mean its own extinction wouldn't it? Or is Alduin some kind of manifestation of the Godheads' psyche? Why is Vivec so calm, assuming he knows that it's all a dream? Can the achievement of CHIM allow one to somehow 'escape'? Damn I hate when I try to make sense of fantasy/sci-fi stuff. Once I'm interested in something I just cannot accept incompleteness even when it's obvious that the creators of the thing are making it up as they go along themselves!

Luzur

Good Sir

See that is what is kind of cool about the whole setting, lore, etc...the irony that the whole world and all the petty machinations and guilds and empires and everything exists only by accident and so precariously, all parts of the same thing. Makes it all seem so pathetic. Reminds me a bit of the Cthulhu mythos which sees humanity as just an insignificant speck of dust caught between machinations of timeless forces that existed an eternity before and will still exist an eternity after humans are long gone. It's a neat twist on the traditional fantasy world, yet Beth is content to just shit on all the effort of making a really well fleshed out and potentially different setting just making banal games...

I still don't understand the motivations of Alduin though; bringing the next dream would mean its own extinction wouldn't it? Or is Alduin some kind of manifestation of the Godheads' psyche? Why is Vivec so calm, assuming he knows that it's all a dream? Can the achievement of CHIM allow one to somehow 'escape'? Damn I hate when I try to make sense of fantasy/sci-fi stuff. Once I'm interested in something I just cannot accept incompleteness even when it's obvious that the creators of the thing are making it up as they go along themselves!

if i remember correctly (not sure if i read fan lore or official lore on that anymore) Death is an escape, since all that die in Tamriel end up outside the "egg" or something.

Sul

Savant

Yeah, I think Alduin is more a natural process of the Godhead, like a force of nature. However, If he knows that or not it's another question.
Vivec did nothing because he couldn't. Don't matter if you're CHIM, you're stuck inside of the dream, but instead of oblivious to it he had the freedom to shape it. Some say the Dwemer managed to "get out" because they had far superior knowledge about the Elder Scrolls (the "blueprints" of the dream) than the Moth Priests but that is almost pure guessing (like Baladas's theory about anti-creation and that one about collective zero-sum).

if i remember correctly (not sure if i read fan lore or official lore on that anymore) Death is an escape, since all that die in Tamriel end up outside the "egg" or something.
Nope. The Dreamsleeve is what awaits you. From there you soul is recycled to fill another body. There's also zero-sum but in that case you simply cease to exist.

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
then it was fan-made lore i read.

boo bookum night saggit. stretched out abides over the temple radix wooden box. mmug nuggy wug bug. Sire we have a ten a clock on muddy grove.A TRUE EPIC MMORPG FUCKING YEAH JET FORCE GEMINI.

Entire fields of mines and jets.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The naming it actually proved to be somewhat of an excercise. We started with Elder Scrolls: Online. Then we came up with Elder Scrolls Origins. The problem with origins is when we start to do expansions the name doesn't make sense. The Elder Scrolls Origin Second expansion? We did consider other names, the marketing guys whiteboarded a bunch of names that didn't make the cut. Tamriel was on that list. Really, we just went back to the easy decision which was The Elder Scrolls Online. Elder Scrolls Online, nice and easy, it says it all.

A commendable effort.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
At least when they are busy thinking about the name, they are not busy thinking about original gameplay elements which could disturb us and distract us from ... the ... gameplay we "expect", that is : talk to character, kill 10 rats.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Elder Scrolls lore seems pretty cool.

Wonder how much of the fanbase even cares about it.

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
I'll play this... TES has the best fantasy lore in gaming IMO, Star Wars/Mass Effect win my Sci-Fi vote... but ofcourse - ME took a hit with that latest instalment..

That leaves my top fantasy IP and top science fiction IP to rape my coffers of gold.. cunts. (in a good way).

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'll play this... TES has the best fantasy lore in gaming IMO, Star Wars/Mass Effect win my Sci-Fi vote... but ofcourse - ME took a hit with that latest instalment..

That leaves my top fantasy IP and top science fiction IP to rape my coffers of gold.. cunts. (in a good way).

wtf is sci-fi?

DraQ

Arcane
Well, the Dragon Break (that one when Tiber uses Numidium, the dwemer mecha, to create the Empire) fits perfectly for a MMORPG scenario, so no complaints about the lore.
One spanner in the works coming right-up:

Casual resurrection.

At least they want to set it way before Arena - when (not if) it blows, it won't take the core series with it if it's any consolation.

co067.jpg
:salute:

It's hard to list the things that make TES lore feel so special from everything else, but one of the things that I really appreciate is how streamlined it feels. There aren't any different elements glued together so that you could have broad appeal. Instead every bit of it seems connected and centralized on common themes. The politics, the individual stories, the different points of view the theology and cultures are there for their own porpoise, yet they seem to push each other forward with surprising synergy.

I don't know if TES lore will ever become as popular as LOTR lore, but I have no doubt that the great writers of the future won't feel in the least embarrassed to mention games like Morrowind or PS:T as a main source of inspiration.
Whoa. You managed to use "streamlined" in a non-pejorative manner.

I don't understand: how is an MMO ES going to differ all that much from a SP ES game? Apart from having the place filled with 'humin playas' the actual structure, quests, locations are tailor made for a MMO already.

Imagine TES game that is being simultaneously broken by MMO number of players.

Boarding Lulzitania now.
:smug:

Sovy Kurosei
Where the fuck have you been lately? :rpgcodex:

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist

wtf is sci-fi?
Not sure if joking.

Science Fillion - the nikname I gave Nathan after doing his last Firefly episode.. for being so 'Scientific'.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So Biotics, The Force, and Whedon's anime ripoff shitfest are SyFy now?

:hmmm:

Also, my real name is Nathan.:obviously:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Daemongar and ArcturusXIV

You guys just pretty much described Ultima Online before it was fucked over in the 3rd expansion. And that's what TES Online should be - a first-person UO. But no, it's not going to be that.

Also, the scanned images are gone. Are there new links? I'd like to see the awfulness with my own eyes.

Luzur

Good Sir
Daemongar and ArcturusXIV

You guys just pretty much described Ultima Online before it was fucked over in the 3rd expansion. And that's what TES Online should be - a first-person UO. But no, it's not going to be that.

Also, the scanned images are gone. Are there new links? I'd like to see the awfulness with my own eyes.

i do believe that UO players where more mature too then the MMO players of today, or maybe that was just on the shards i played on.

i remember on Schattenwelt there where only like 2 guys that where 18 (back then) the rest of the gang where in their 20's and 30's.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yeah, it was like that in the beginning. But every expansion brought more :decline: and more kiddies as wel. Pizzas and katanas in my Ultima? It happened on the very first expansion, IIRC. I was on Europa. Never really minded the PKs, they were part of the excitement, and I was lucky to find a good RP-guild to join later, who had a large membership and plenty of events - some of which were supported by the GMs.

Luzur

Good Sir
Yeah, it was like that in the beginning. But every expansion brought more :decline: and more kiddies as wel. Pizzas and katanas in my Ultima? It happened on the very first expansion, IIRC. I was on Europa. Never really minded the PKs, they were part of the excitement, and I was lucky to find a good RP-guild to join later, who had a large membership and plenty of events - some of which were supported by the GMs.

me and a friend used to play on this english shard, cant remember the name now, where guilds could win towns in PVP warfare, SB (Swedish Brotherhood) which i was part of owned Vesper, i remember holding the northern bridge with my Talin the Red Knight char in the Greater Drow War (every good guild vs the large evil guild) in a platoon of 5, against a siege of summoned Demons and those Blade Spirits that they sent against us.

Cove, Occlo and Yew fell to the Drows (NPC's and guild ownership was removed by admin) which made traveling towards Britain (neutral newbie city) very precarious since the drows would waylay good guild/newbie travelers along the road.

i remember cutting down a german drow archer and looting him, which made him very mad on me and claim a personal vendetta, and would after that always kill my horse whenever he could.

sigh, those where the days.

Repressed Homosexual
I still don't get PvP, and especially not hardcore PvP. Doesn't it get just terrible having to deal with douchebags constantly trying to make your experience as miserable as possible?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
You hit back on them, make their life miserable. UO had a good reputation system, do a crime and you'd go from blue to grey, meaning that anyone could attack you but you could fight back freely. Do a murder, you'd turn red and we're free hunting to absolutely anyone. So PKs would form guilds so they could be red and still remain relatively safe. As a counter, you got anti-PK guilds who roamed the dungeons and popular hangouts, hunting red and grey players. Many players had one permanently red character they could fall back on to if they needed to.

And much of the PvP circuit was done by the professional PvPers, who wouldn't let their characters turn red - instead everyone went grey in Buccaneer's Den and had a big fight-out or they arranged a tournament somewhere off the beaten path. If a griefer showed up, people could easily gank up on him and since you lost most of your stuff when you died... You have to remember that there were no levels in UO and getting the maximum 7 skills to 100 wasn't that difficult if you knew what you were doing. Magical gear, while good, didn't give you an absolute edge either - so it was down to skill and connection speed. Plus, if someone was enough of a jerk that a lot of people people complained, the GMs could and would teleport that character into jail for good so the player basically lost a character. The feeling when you meet a newbish PK in a dungeon, manage to avoid him while yelling in IRC for help and your guild tamer would teleport in with his pet dragon - then looting the deadPK and laughing at his ghost, nothing quite like it.

But yeah, sure it wasn't for everyone but that Wild Wild West attitude and atmosphere was quite exciting as well.

Luzur that doesn't sound like an official server at all. Were you a nasty pirate and played on private shards?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom