Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dwarf Fortress even Newer Release !!!

Jesus Christ what is with the performance in the new version

Mayday

Augur
Joe Krow said:
I'm excited to hear about the sprite packs. I have been wanting to give this game a shot. Any ETA? Need a beta tester?

ETA- very long and possible to not even happen. I'll keep you guys up to date.

jimbob said:
my game runs like crap
There are quite a few performance bugs. There will be an update fixing them tomorrow.

nedrah said:
my game looks like crap

oh looks like you're playing in fullscreen (not advided, framerate drops)- in that case you have to set the fullscreen resolution to 1280x800 (remember to use the "graphics" part)

Gwendo

Augur
BTW, my desktop's resolution is set to 1680x1050. Can I chabge the resolution in that ini file, or will it "brake" the game?

Mayday

Augur
depends on what you mean by "chabge".

If you're using the 16x16px tileset, you need to use 1280x800 in fulscreen and 1280x400 in window mode.

MisterStone

Arcane
Joe Krow said:
I'm excited to hear about the sprite packs. I have been wanting to give this game a shot. Any ETA? Need a beta tester?

Meh, just buck up and dive in to the game without the sprites. Learn to love the "k" key, which is how you look at stuff, and the "v" key, which is how you examine living things larger than a rat. Also, you can change a setting in the init file so that the ground looks like a neat grid of periods instead of a huge mass of comma-colon-period-dash vomit.

Destroid

Arcane
MisterStone is correct - it only takes a little while of playing to remember what everything is, and using keys instead of the mouse means that after you remember the hot keys you will be quicker than any right-click nonsense.

Nedrah

Erudite
Don't underestimate the fact that for some people ASCII simply doesn't work, whereas even the simplest of graphics are enough to make a game playable. That being said, I've decided to wait for the wiki to get updated before I try my hands on the game again.

hicksman

Liturgist
Yeah I'm with the pro-graphics people on this one. I can get used to ascii, but the two coworkers I pitched DF to, who immediately went back to their desks and looked it up, both never even attempted to play the game because of the graphics.

I know its fun to have our own little elite niche of games the retards dont want to play, but even with a tileset, i'm sure Toady et al are severely limiting their exposure.

That said, i'm going to get into this new version over the weekend. thanks for being helpful mayday

Durwyn

Prophet
Altough i don't have a problem with ASCII, i think that DF needs even basic graphics... Compared to ADOM , DF looks like fallout 3 bloomy/HDR screen. You just don't have a fucking idea what you see. Maybe it's just me and my graphic whoreness, but i just can't get into DF becouse of constant confusion...

Nedrah

Erudite
Durwyn said:
Altough i don't have a problem with ASCII, i think that DF needs even basic graphics... Compared to ADOM , DF looks like fallout 3 bloomy/HDR screen. You just don't have a fucking idea what you see. Maybe it's just me and my graphic whoreness, but i just can't get into DF becouse of constant confusion...

Yeah, that's pretty much the issue right there. Roguelikes are turn based dungeon romps, DF is a real-time dwarf simulator with all kinds of things going on at once, yet it's as far as I can see not the tiniest bit less deadly to the inexperienced(as I already mentioned some time ago). I don't get the whole "can't have tiles because then it'll not be exclusive enough anymore" thing. It's not like the Halo crowd was suddenly going to be all over it even with isometric graphics.

Section8

Cipher
Cheers for those tiles, Mayday. Makes the whole learning curve a little bit more shallow being able to look at things and know what's what.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's why I mostly play Adventure Mode. It's easier to understand without graphics than the Dwarf Mode is.

Destroid

Arcane
Update: The wiki has a few of the new things online (like elevation and how to use zones), with that help its pretty easy to adjust to the changes. Your fortress is MUCH more flexible now that you can dig up and down, and trading is much more comprehensive (you are able to request certain goods).

Personally I prefer ASCII to basic non-animated graphics because when your dwarves battle and injure one another, your imagination is more active in your perception of what is occuring (as it is more abstract, you have to make up more), it would be annoying if there was no graphical representation of the different things that occur.

It really isn't that hard to learn what all the symbols mean, just a little practice. If you give it a go for a few hours you will be hooked, fancy tiles or not.

Cassidy

Arcane
How can I change config to make a small room to look like this:
Code:
  |||||||||||||||||||
  |....*....H...//..|
  |....O............|
  |...N.....A....../\
  |............\\...|
  ||||||||/\|||||||||

Where

. -> floor/ flat terrain
| -> wall
/\ -> Door/Passageway
O -> Table
H -> Hostile NPC
A -> Allied NPC
N -> Neutral/Unknown NPC
// -> staircase up
\\ -> staircase down
* -> Anything that calls attention in the location, might represent a landmark, a mysterious sculpture, an item, a clue etc. which can lead to good or bad consequences if checked.

jimkehn

Novice
OK....so I downloaded the game and built a world. I have no idea what to do. I had trouble picking things to take along. I don't know what I will need. I think I finally figured out how to give them jobs?? Is that like farming and butchering?? They don't seem to do it, though. I found a horse and the description said it was right for butchering with (Y) beside it. I am guessing that means Yes to butcher it. However the butcher won't move on it. Sheesh......daunting to say the least!!!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
jimkehn said:
OK....so I downloaded the game and built a world. I have no idea what to do. I had trouble picking things to take along. I don't know what I will need. I think I finally figured out how to give them jobs?? Is that like farming and butchering?? They don't seem to do it, though. I found a horse and the description said it was right for butchering with (Y) beside it. I am guessing that means Yes to butcher it. However the butcher won't move on it. Sheesh......daunting to say the least!!!

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Main_Page

Zomg

Arbiter
I have Wikipedia'd, so far: Gabbro, Magnetite, Orthoclase, Microcline, Bismuthinite

jimkehn

Novice
This game is NOT easy to play. My guys won't dig!! I go into the "d" designation, then d for dig as in the wiki, but when I try to designate an area, a flashing green cross comes up when I click on enter, but when I click on enter a second time to expand the area, the first hex stops flashing the green cross. No matter what I do they won't dig. I did figure out how to dismantle the wagon. Finally figured out how to do SOME stuff, but wow!!!!

Schauman

Scholar
jimkehn said:
This game is NOT easy to play. My guys won't dig!! I go into the "d" designation, then d for dig as in the wiki, but when I try to designate an area, a flashing green cross comes up when I click on enter, but when I click on enter a second time to expand the area, the first hex stops flashing the green cross. No matter what I do they won't dig. I did figure out how to dismantle the wagon. Finally figured out how to do SOME stuff, but wow!!!!

One Enter stroke too many I belive.

Choose dig, park X where you want the digging to begin and flashing + arrives on the scene.
Then move X to cover the area you wish to dig away, much akin to a marquee tool, and after that press Enter for the second time to designate the marked area for digging and miner dwarfs will go onwards to strike the earth.

Curves and corners need to be created manually as the dig designation itself is only good for marking squares or rectangles. Not absolutely sure on this one though.

But yes, the new version is quite lovely, Z-axis provides limitless source of power and terror as I noticed with my plumbing operation to provide stable source of water for the deepest halls. Now my bunker-fortress is 100% fireproof and with time the local population is sure to grow gills or float trying, whichever comes first.

Zomg

Arbiter
Setting up a continuous pumping system to suction out from the aquifer long enough to put up watertight walls so you can sink a shaft to the igneous rock is the new floodgate farm.

psycojester

Arbiter
I tried the new Dwarf Fortress for a few minutes, but gave up and decided to go do something easier, like constructing a real coal mine.

That game really needs a basic tutorial to help you construct a basic fortress where the dwarfs won't starve to death or be drowned by the plumbing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom