Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

pippin

It almost looks like NWN2 :smug:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I wish NWN2 looks that good
:smug: No surprise really. It plays and looks better.
Evidently, it is designed with PC User Interface in mind.
Post-POE I reinstalled MOTB and gave up after 15 minutes in the spirit burrows, can't cope with the UI.
I bought the Origin humble bundle, gave DAO another spin, aside from the bloodsplatter nonsense, it plays fine, attack animation played clearly with damage appearing over every swing, movement and order to attack is clear cut. It was fine.

We completely lost that PC control in DA2 and DA3.

Last edited:

pippin

That's true though. For a modern rpg DA:O had a comfortable ui with a camera which you could employ in a tactical manner and it was serviceable enough to not be annoying, unlike NWN2's. It's like a sad irony to realize how everyone seems to diss the console port of DA:O because of the clunky controls when it comes to cameras.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
"New content available for download!"

Basically DLC.
Can't buy shit off steam, I believe when EA refused to host their DLC on steam is when Steam stopped publishing future EA titles.

Not exactly.. Valve refused to allow EA to sell Dragon Age 2 DLC directly through thier website so EA said fuck you and pulled all future titles that they publish and started pushing Origin as the replacement. (Origin used to be a web only portal to buy games)

I mean you were mostly right except that EA made the decision, Valve didn't ban them or anything.. They just said you can't keep selling Dragon Age 2 until you use Steam for selling DLC.

RK47

Patron
Yeah I wasn't sure on the details. Sounds more like it.

darthaegis

Cipher
Look, I poured over 100 hours into Inquisition and I can be the one to say that it is a great game. The characters were great and the writing is quality and the gameplay is addictive as hell. This is their best game since Neverwinter Nights. I feel like too many of you are living in the past. I've been lurking here for a while now but it's time to stop the Bioware hate. They are great. And I KNOW you guys love Dragon Age Inquisition, you're just too scared to admit because you don't want to betray obsidian or whatever. Get with the times please.

Thanks for reading.

Obsidian and Bioware(whateaver the fuck is left of it) are equally garbage at the moment,both studios had some decent games in the past and now they are lingering in the darkness of medidocrity.

Dragon age Inquisition or how i like to call it ''Kingdoms of Amalur 2'' was just a rushed project because this was meant to be a mmo,that's why you have quests like ,get 10 pieces of ram meat or find a bazzilion of shards.EA knew those idiots couldn't make a good mmo ,example (Swtor) so they ditched the idea and just stapled a pathetic storyline that makes Dragon age 2 look like a grade A hooker.
And those companions dude ''trannies,homosexuals,bestiality'' what in the name of god is this,jersey shore,jerry springer?

25 years of gaming and this is what i get?

See here is the thing.. Dragon Age wasn't that rushed.. I don't know why it turned out so shit (Is the MMO Thing confirmed?).. EA actually gave them the time to hit it out of the park. The Mass Effect Team is sperate from the Dragon Age team and they outsource their DLC to another team as well..

So in theory they were working on Dragon Age Inquistion after Dragon Age 2 came out.. That is a significant amount of time.. about a year less then Witcher 3..

I think Bioware is just inept as fuck or multiplayer schlock takes a long time to develop.. Or the Battlefield Engine was rocky and required a lot of upfront development.
I think the Frostbite Engine couldn't actually support four-legged creatures, and ofc it's not an RPG engine, so I guess they had to do a lot of work on that. However, it still doesn't explain the shitty story or the lack of non-fetch quest content (At least I don't think that the people working on that would have needed to help on makeing the engine work.)

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Look, I poured over 100 hours into Inquisition and I can be the one to say that it is a great game. The characters were great and the writing is quality and the gameplay is addictive as hell. This is their best game since Neverwinter Nights. I feel like too many of you are living in the past. I've been lurking here for a while now but it's time to stop the Bioware hate. They are great. And I KNOW you guys love Dragon Age Inquisition, you're just too scared to admit because you don't want to betray obsidian or whatever. Get with the times please.

Thanks for reading.

Obsidian and Bioware(whateaver the fuck is left of it) are equally garbage at the moment,both studios had some decent games in the past and now they are lingering in the darkness of medidocrity.

Dragon age Inquisition or how i like to call it ''Kingdoms of Amalur 2'' was just a rushed project because this was meant to be a mmo,that's why you have quests like ,get 10 pieces of ram meat or find a bazzilion of shards.EA knew those idiots couldn't make a good mmo ,example (Swtor) so they ditched the idea and just stapled a pathetic storyline that makes Dragon age 2 look like a grade A hooker.
And those companions dude ''trannies,homosexuals,bestiality'' what in the name of god is this,jersey shore,jerry springer?

25 years of gaming and this is what i get?

See here is the thing.. Dragon Age wasn't that rushed.. I don't know why it turned out so shit (Is the MMO Thing confirmed?).. EA actually gave them the time to hit it out of the park. The Mass Effect Team is sperate from the Dragon Age team and they outsource their DLC to another team as well..

So in theory they were working on Dragon Age Inquistion after Dragon Age 2 came out.. That is a significant amount of time.. about a year less then Witcher 3..

I think Bioware is just inept as fuck or multiplayer schlock takes a long time to develop.. Or the Battlefield Engine was rocky and required a lot of upfront development.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-age-inquisition-began-as-a-multiplayer-only/1100-6423362/
As you can see the game started as an mmo and it's not that hard to believe with the amount of fetch quests it has.The huge empty areas packed with useless trash mobs,picking flowers,rocks,meat,reading every god damn retarded piece of paper,this game screams ''MMO''.I truly belive this game was meant to be one but something didn't go as planed,so they scratched the idea and stapled a 15 hour campaign and called it a day.

And another major issue is that a lot of content got removed: I followed this game from time to time since it was announced and i watched most of their videos,then i realised a lot of content just dissapeared.

If you watch these videos, you can see clearly that a lot of these "features'' never made it into the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8xJMWRI-cA#t=753
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/x…world-unveiled
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013…e-inquisition/

Some valid complaints from a dude ,that realised the same things.
-Regional choices were cut from the game in favour of linear progression through an area. From each area having an interactive storyline to areas serving more as standard RPG areas, that basicly just serve to level and gear up. The two examples that we know of that show this change are Crestwood and the Western Approach. In both cases we were shown the possible choices you could make. In Crestwood you had a choice between protecting a keep or Crestwood village. While Western Approach had you make stronghold choice after liberating the warden keep there, I'll get back to that later on, and opening up a new area by using your agents. I can only assume that Bioware had plans for each region to have its own storyline with important choices that would in turn have had a profound effect. "Gut-wrenching choices" as Bioware explained it.

-A year ago Bioware had designed the game with a larger focus on managing your forces. Different forces being able to strengthen the Inquisition in different ways and you having to choose how to best manage your limited amount of agents/power. This role was presumably moved over to your advisor missions, in its limited fashion. The changes to the Inquisition forces leads me to the next point.

- Bioware had plans for a completely different stronghold/outpost system than what is currently in the game. As mentioned before, they showed players being able to make important choices on how to deal with captured strongholds: Have it focus on economy, military or espionage. Improve the stronghold by adding ressource buildings to it etc. As opposed to what we have now that have the keeps serve as quest and vendor areas.

They never mentioned that those things were left out and they just blatantly lied about their product.

Last edited:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
My comment still stands. I saw the demo of Dragon Age: 2, and I chose to stay away from the series since then. I'm pretty sure everyone should've known by now what kind of game was going to be released since BioWare has been adamant about going in a different direction from Dragon Age: Origins.

Excuse me, but why do you keep putting a colon between the name of games and their sequel number. "Wasteland: 2", " Dragon Age: 2"

That's even worse than the people going around calling them "Shadowrun: Returns" and "Project: Eternity"

Inb4 someone calls this website the "RPG: Codex".

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
My comment still stands. I saw the demo of Dragon Age: 2, and I chose to stay away from the series since then. I'm pretty sure everyone should've known by now what kind of game was going to be released since BioWare has been adamant about going in a different direction from Dragon Age: Origins.

Excuse me, but why do you keep putting a colon between the name of games and their sequel number. "Wasteland: 2", " Dragon Age: 2"

That's even worse than the people going around calling them "Shadowrun: Returns" and "Project: Eternity"

Maybe this site had a prequel :M

DraQ

Arcane

I Already: Have.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
So, it is possible find some fun in this game or not?

Define "fun". :balance:

You can find some here
09.jpg

Features:
- Good rotatable isometric camera.
- PC user interface.

This is not an isometric camera.

Caim

Arcane

Maybe this site had a prequel :M
Codex: Origins.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wouldn't call DA:O's pseudo-iso camera "good" either since (assumingly) memory limitations restricted how far it could pan. Archers in the distance who can attack you, but you can't see them without switching to third-person.

RK47

Patron
I wouldn't call DA:O's pseudo-iso camera "good" either since (assumingly) memory limitations restricted how far it could pan. Archers in the distance who can attack you, but you can't see them without switching to third-person.

:balance: I'm sure it could be balanced by limiting archers to 12 metre range.

circ

Arcane
At about the same time as I got used to the horrible m&k combat controls I got bored of it. It's just click and push buttons when you can. Not to toot DAO's horn or anything but atleast it had something resembling tactics. There are now so few skills that every class feels samey, and by the time I'm level 10, or sooner, I get so bored I make a new character only to discover it plays roughly the same.

It's not all bad though. The world is really reactive, unlike Pillars of Eternity. I played a dwarf rogue and every so often the game would react to it - for example I was running around close to a Carta hideout and my PC would comment on their own Carta experiences. A qunari meanwhile would get comments about their background elsewhere and so on. Nice little details like that, that are completely absent from just about every recent KS 'rpg'.

Pretty interesting companion interactions too, until you get Sera. Just like Isabel previously, and even more so, she brings down the intelligence of any banter to negative values. I don't understand how whoever wrote the character didn't get picked on all the time at the office for being such a huge retard. Areas also seem like they were designed by the company morons, because they seem to exist for no other reason than to be repositories for fetch quests and reagent picking. It's like a game made by two teams, and only one of them had anything resembling a brain in their heads. Also there's supposed to be a civil war going on, but it's not realized very well at all. I'd say ME3 tries harder to convey the desperation. In DAI you have a bunch of NPC's having bitch fights occasionally in some areas. And also, does no one at BioWare understand memory handling? This game could be called infinite loadscreens the game. When the developer suggests SSD use, something's seriously wrong. And how come it took 5 patches to implement a simple thing like party storage? Something that was missing from DAO too until a DLC managed the impossible feat. Although even that was buggy.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Finished this game last night. What a crock. It wasn't quite the monstrosity DA2 was but actually more boring because it was an offline MMO with maps full of nothing except shards, astronomy things, herbs and metals. And the main storyline was a bore. At least the first game offered some new ideas and surprises like Cailan getting mauled to pieces.

Cole was a well written companion at least, but the others were quite boring. Also, why was there 0 option to be an evil Inquisitor? One of the best things in these sort of games has been the ability to play a complete douche like in KOTOR. They went from 'dark, gritty, mature fantasy' to enforced poster boy for chaotic good.

The scope of this game would be probably be better for Mass Effect on new planets with more stuff to shoot. At least that would be more entertaining than jogging across maps with rams and nugs, with the occasional bear or dog attacking you. Oh, and enough mind-numbingly dull MMO fetch content to last you a lifetime.
that's what you get for not rage quitting after your first introduction to the UI. i can't begin to imagine what kept you playing to the end. maybe it was some kind of guilty conscience issue for having paid for the game. i dunno, i didn't buy it. but i imagine even if i had bought it i would still have said to myself maybe i didn't get entirely screwed, maybe the game would look good on a shelf or something.

circ

Arcane
I killed a dragon in Highsomething. Fight itself was boring, just another bloated hp fight with no tactics to speak of required, other than dodging fireballs occasionally, which my groupmates failed to do repeatedly. Anyway, it wasn't all a bore because nearby was a destroyed bridge and a mage activator, which caused Solas to raise the bridge with his jazz hands. I dunno, I guess it wasn't so special but it was nice to see that reactivity again after the crap fight. Then went to Redcliffe, which looked nothing like it did in the first one. Ok, tech has advanced but eh a little effort in consistency mayhaps. Then made a two-hander warrior and played around with skills and it plays a little different and even gets a little tactical with some block skill thing.

Perkel

Arcane
Downloaded this crap so i can find out if rumors are true.

Starts game. Race choice: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Qunari classes: warrior, rogue, mage hahaha
got sword and board human

hour in.

300 different fetch quests and what is worst every new "main" quest or "side" quest is 90% chance fetch quest.
Oh and in one hour i almost maxed out whole one skill tree rotfl...
Nope. Uninstall exe.

Gameplay itself is worse than even TW2.

pippin

So we will finally get to see Isabella's eurospic tits?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom