Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Your word is Law! You can participate in judgements and decide someone's fate.

OK, now i may even play this. Condemning an assortment of peasants to death on the rack seems like fun.

Caim

Arcane

OK, now i may even play this. Condemning an assortment of peasants to death on the rack seems like fun.
Be wary bro, for this is the way of Bioware: they promise the sky high above but give you the manure of the earth, emulating their prophet Molyneux in their actions.

dryan

Arcane

Peasant will be caught for a crime/heresy.
He will plead: I did it for love / I did it to feed my family / I did it to save these puppies!
You uphold the law by sentencing him to death.
Peasant's family cries / puppies whine.
Tough honorable warrior guy will commend you: "You did what you had to do. All of us must obey the law!" Friendship (+10)
Wise mage woman will play devil's advocate: "Perhaps the law should serve the people, and not the other way around." Rivalry (-10)
Neutral rogue tranny will make an unaligned comment: "That's a hard decision to make. I'm glad I don't have such responsibility." (0)

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Is there anything in all these PR pieces that expains the main characters sudden and meteoric rise to power at all?

I find it hard to believe a women like Cassandra penderghast who is all but the leader, if not the leader of the Inquistion, who has been in the inquistion for most of her life and is proclaimed as the "right hand of the Divine" would suddenly stand aside for a random human/elf/dwarf/ox to take over. And give them the power, right and authority to not only sit on a throne and dictate right from wrong. But also to dictate who lives and who dies. Bioware is really going to have to do quite an ass pull to make this anyway this side of believable.

Not that this has ever stopped them before.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Nothing you do or say or choose will matter (greatly). This is BioWare after all. Don't wan't to upset the console kiddies!

Tytus

Arcane
They're probably there because it's near the site of that Urn. Nothing like a little religious symbolism to get people to come together etc

Unless something happened in one of the spin off media series that I don't know about. It also means that Bioware is overriding by default one of the first games moral choices (and not for the first time I might add) of keeping haven and the urn a secret. Instead of turning it into the tourist trap of Thedas.

Are you even surprised at this point? They decided that Leliana's death in the cathedral isn't canon. So changing other things wouldn't be anything new. And I would praise them for actually picking their own canon, but when you market your games that your decision matters it just seems like a dick move.

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
Nothing you do or say or choose will matter (greatly). This is BioWare after all. Don't wan't to upset the console kiddies!
Or blow the budget on content that can be locked out, the game must be welcoming and let a player experience everything (except some flavour dialogue and dryhumping animations) in one playtrough.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They're probably there because it's near the site of that Urn. Nothing like a little religious symbolism to get people to come together etc

Unless something happened in one of the spin off media series that I don't know about. It also means that Bioware is overriding by default one of the first games moral choices (and not for the first time I might add) of keeping haven and the urn a secret. Instead of turning it into the tourist trap of Thedas.

Are you even surprised at this point? They decided that Leliana's death in the cathedral isn't canon. So changing other things wouldn't be anything new. And I would praise them for actually picking their own canon, but when you market your games that your decision matters it just seems like a dick move.

No, it is canon.

She just got better, that's all.

Avellion

Erudite
Morality Games Got a source to that? I don't doubt you, because that sounds like something BioWare would do. But I would love to see BioWare's shit excuse to try to justify this.

You know they screwed up with C&C when even console kiddies complain about the lack of C&C.

I dont think I have seen any game dev handle Choices quite as badly as BioWare. This includes that of any console dev (who was actually trying to do some kind of branching path or C&C, even from some that werent even trying to).

Tytus

Arcane
Morality Games Got a source to that? I don't doubt you, because that sounds like something BioWare would do. But I would love to see BioWare's shit excuse to try to justify this.

You know they screwed up with C&C when even console kiddies complain about the lack of C&C.

I dont think I have seen any game dev handle Choices quite as badly as BioWare. This includes that of any console dev (who was actually trying to do some kind of branching path or C&C, even from some that werent even trying to).

BioWare%27s_take_on_Dead_Characters_coming_back_alive...jpg

Gaider said more about it, and went full retard later saying things that you only think you saw her dying but you never saw the body, etc. But I can't find it now.

Avellion

Erudite
Gaider said more about it, and went full retard later saying things that you only think you saw her dying but you never saw the body, etc. But I can't find it now.

Holy crap, that was a lame excuse, even for BioWare standards.

I guess I shouldnt expect anything else from a company whose dialogue options have a habit of leading to the same response.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The DA2 Codex Entry if you imported a game where she was killed by the Warden.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Codex_entry:_Leliana_(Dragon_Age_II)

There are many tales of Leliana, Orlesian adventuress and bard, the most recent being that she fought against the Fifth Blight. Some even say she died at the hands of the Hero of Ferelden. How she could be alive—and reportedly acting as an agent of the Divine—is unknown. Perhaps the story of her death is exaggerated... or perhaps the supposed place of her demise, the altar of the fabled Urn of Sacred Ashes, is also the place of her rebirth. The truth remains to be seen.

The Urn was destroyed by the Warden in this playthrough, so I'm not sure how it coud have revived her.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This level of LOL is above 9000. So it's like, "yeah, we make a game series and you [player] make choices but with every new chapter we're gonna pretend you didn't and we're just gonna ignore them. because we can". Attaway.

PS - on a side note, I really love how edgy he is. He should come back to this forum, really.

This level of LOL is above 9000. So it's like, "yeah, we make a game series and you [player] make choices but with every new chapter we're gonna pretend you didn't and we're just gonna ignore them. because we can". Attaway.

PS - on a side note, I really love how edgy he is. He should come back to this forum, really.

David Gaider, the developer Bioware fans deserve ... but not the one PC gaming needs right now.

There's no denying he's the best talent Bioware has left, however.

pippin

Bio always talked about imported saves like it was a big deal, but it has always been like that. I mean, you could start bg2 asking yourself where's Coran, where's Safana, and why Minsc believes Irenicus killed Dynaheir when I did that.

Bio always talked about imported saves like it was a big deal, but it has always been like that. I mean, you could start bg2 asking yourself where's Coran, where's Safana, and why Minsc believes Irenicus killed Dynaheir when I did that.

It was a game of hot potato where they always told fans, "Next game your choices will matter."

We'll see though. Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age II didn't tank but word of mouth had a noticeably adverse effect on sales.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
IIRC spirits can bring the dead back to life, like what happened with Wynne. Why don't they just say that that's what happened with Leliana? Have they already forgotten their own game?

pippin

IIRC spirits can bring the dead back to life, like what happened with Wynne. Why don't they just say that that's what happened with Leliana? Have they already forgotten their own game?

There's still dubious rules about preserving the body and the ammount of energy the caster needs to resurrect a person via magic. It loosely follows D&D's lore and feel, like most of Dragon Age's mechanics. Still, it's a major plot hole, but they needed the cameo. Leliana was one of the poster girls of the franchise after all.

dryan

Arcane
Didn't they use the spirits returning people from the dead with Anders as well?

I never completed awakening. But I know a lot of people were pissed with him returning in DA 2.

I really hope that fag is dead once and for all this time. I stabbed him in DA2.

RPGMaster

Savant
My first law will be to banish homosexuals from my keep.

BioWare will let me do that right? It's my decision afterall.

Martius

Liturgist
Didn't they use the spirits returning people from the dead with Anders as well?

I never completed awakening. But I know a lot of people were pissed with him returning in DA 2.
I dont think so but I am not sure. I know that he can die while defending keep in Aweaking and while Nathaniel said he remember his dead body Anders just said "yeah, all dead mages looks same to all of you". Sounds like retcon to me.

Interesting. Minsc still talked to Boo in the Throne of Bhaal even though I traded him to the black dragon in the elf city to not fight me. The hamster was the only item I couldn't get out of the parties' inventory prior to the trade and I couldn't be bothered to kick Minsc out of my party.

I have to admit it was pretty cool to stop the dragon from attacking the elf city by giving him a hamster.

Hepler's Vagina

Learned
My first law will be to banish homosexuals from my keep.

BioWare will let me do that right? It's my decision afterall.

Then I fear your battlements will be manned by an all-tranny garrrison and your meals prepared by some emo elf with a big hat who would rather fuck the animal the meat came from than cook it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom