Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Death of Immersive Sims?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Infinitron, May 19, 2017.

1. something that sounds manlygender: ⚧ Savant

something that sounds manly
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    My friends tell me it's good and I have to keep an open mind

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Dev_Anjgender: ⚧ Learned

Dev_Anj
    Parrots:
    If video games were to be defined by what you do most of the time, most of them would be "movement sims".

See what I did thar?

Just because you do something a lot doesn't mean that was the focus of the game. Deus Ex has you talking a lot, yet none calls it a "conversation sim". On System Shock 2's highest difficulty you end up fighting most enemies with a wrench, yet it is only called a "wrenching sim" in jest. Of course Tomb Raider would have "platforming" the same way most computer games have walking, running, and jumping; merely as a rote means of traversal, not because they wanted the player to make some tense/amazing jumps between landforms.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Jasedegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    Parrots:
    Doing a lot of immersing lately I see.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. octaviusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Parrots:
    From what I've heard about Witcher 1 it could be called a "wenching sim".

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again DragoFireheartgender: ⚧ all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart
    Parrots:
    Hunting simulators?

Cabel's comes to mind but they're all shit casual games. What games do you play.

^ Top  
  6. Great Deceivergender: ⚧ Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Parrots:
    I'm as skeptical as anyone about modern-day gaming and I agree with the general sentiment that all kinds of games are being incredibly dumbed down as a result of a broadening audience and thinning of the creative base (i.e. most people that used to make cool games all those years ago were engineers, now it's talentless cucks with 'game design' degrees).

However, it's important to make certain distinctions.

I'd compare Cuck Raider to Gears of War before coming anywhere close to describing it as a platformer, even though a jump button technically exists.

There are modern-day platformers, and some of them are really, really good - Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for the Wii U are honestly some of the best platformers ever made, and they came out fairly recently. As has been said in this thread, Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are also great (probably the last platformers to be released by a big Ubishit-scale company on PC), some indie stuff is cool like Shovel Knight (which is more the exception than the rule, most indie platformers are ass), Giana Sisters, etc.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again DragoFireheartgender: ⚧ all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart
    Parrots:
    Yeah, you went Full Retard.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. something that sounds manlygender: ⚧ Savant

something that sounds manly
    Parrots:
    What would you describe the original Tomb Raider as, and what do you think is the current successor to the old Tomb Raider gameplay?

^ Top  
  9. Burning Bridgesgender: ⚧ Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:

There is also a new standalone game, but I dont like it much.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Ashgender: ⚧ Magister

Ash
    Parrots:
    There's no such thing. [​IMG]

That was remade? [​IMG]

^ Top  
  11. Great Deceivergender: ⚧ Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Parrots:

Yes and it was pretty decent, had an interesting mechanic of swapping between two worlds in realtime. The character animations are shit though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again Jasedegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    Parrots:
    At first I was dismissive but for a shovelware kickstarter Unity remake, that looks quite acceptable.
    And they brought Chris Huelsbeck, risen from the grave.

AND they somehow were able to use the popular Machinae Supremacy remix - that is faithful and impressive, I have to hand it to them. Shame I don't dig platformers. Still, impressed.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. HansDampfgender: ⚧ Learned

HansDampf
    Parrots:
    The game is decent but gets old pretty fast. It doesn't hold a candle to Shovel Knight.

^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Jasedegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    Parrots:
    This may sound silly but during Amiga and C64 times, sometimes we bought games not for whether it was any good, but for the awesome composers and graphics at the time, shallow as that might sound. Like, Turrican 2 suffers from that strange collision system, but it and many other games of the time (Shadow of the Beast!) are a good example how, at least sometimes, excellent art and sound can absolutely elevate an otherwise bad or mediocre game into something very special and well-remembered.

I found Shovel Knight too easy to take seriously as a platformer, considering all the advances platformers have had in recent years. Compare it to Rayman: Legends to see what I mean, or even Donkey Kong Returns.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Great Deceivergender: ⚧ Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Parrots:
    It also came out 4 years before Shovel Knight at a time when platformers on PC were still very much a novelty. I liked it quite a bit.

^ Top  
  16. Great Deceivergender: ⚧ Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Parrots:
    Donkey Kong Country Returns has some fiendishly hard levels (namely the optional x-K levels, 1-k in particular took me close to 20 tries to clear). I also thought Shovel Knight was too easy, but I had a blast playing it because it was really well put together.

^ Top  
  17. Make America Great Again Archibaldgender: ⚧ Arcane

Archibald
    Parrots:
    There is badly defined genre called "action adventure" where games like Tomb Raider were usually placed. Basically you run around, shoot some people, make some jumps, solve some puzzles and do some other random crap. I haven't played newer Tomb Raiders, but from what I have seen/read it looks like it is in the same genre, just that they decided to focus more on certain elements and left others underdeveloped. Either way, I don't remember Tomb Raider ever being considered as real platformer by people who played platformers, sure it had more focus on it, but it never really was about platforming like, for example, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze was.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. anduingender: ⚧ Arbiter

anduin
    Parrots:
    Interesting take on soulslike genre and immersive sims.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. pippingender: ⚧ GOD MOD ENABLED

pippin
    Parrots:
    The devs also made a 2d version of Giana Sisters (ironically?). I liked the game though, for what it was.

^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Alienmangender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
  21. lukaszekgender: ⚧ Magister

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    Late to thread. Best thing was definetly following Roguey link to find this:

Also:
    fungus?
    Show Spoiler
    Not joking

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. pippingender: ⚧ GOD MOD ENABLED

pippin
    Parrots:
    Data rot?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Yeah, that's it, the dye is degrading.

^ Top  
  24. Alexgender: ⚧ betthurt

Alex
    Parrots:
    Wait, the Giana Sisters are kids now? I thought they were supposed to be adults?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    ^ Top  
  25. Ashgender: ⚧ Magister

Ash
    Parrots:
    Rule of modern side-scrolling platformers these days: has to have a cutesy art style.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)