Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Dark Eye - Demonicon Released on Steam

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Kalypso Media; The Dark Eye: Demonicon

In case you're a weird person who enjoys European action-RPGs, or maybe just want to play a new game in The Dark Eye universe, you may be interested in The Dark Eye - Demonicon by Kalypso, which has been just released on Steam. Or perhaps you enjoyed Kalypso's previous attempt at ARPG, Venetica, and now want to see what their new title is like. In any case, here's the description:

The Dark Eye - Demonicon is a thrilling action-RPG set in the extraordinarily popular universe of “The Dark Eye”, a richly crafted fantasy world beloved by fantasy gamers across the globe.

The Dark Eye - Demonicon tells the tragic story of a brother and sister who become pawns of sinister forces in a world of cruelty and depravity. In this bleak yet magical world, their affection is both a blessing and a curse. Both are constantly threatened by mortal danger and demonic temptation, and must find a way through their tortured lives by facing serious moral decisions. Their common destiny will determine that of the entire continent, and will be decided by the choices they make. Hordes of fiends block their way to freedom and peace, and only through battle and magic they will truly become free of the darkness.
  • A third-person action-RPG featuring brutal melee attack combos and dazzling magic spells
  • Powerful storytelling with an elaborate narrative rich with twists, as well as believable conflicts and ethical decision-making opportunities
  • Action-packed battles, where pin-point timing and clever tactics play important roles
  • Unique magic system: a dark talent grants the player devastating mystical powers and changes his physical appearance
  • Comprehensive crafting system allows for creation of potions, poisoned blades and enchanted armor
  • State-of-the-art 3D visuals using the powerful Havok Vision engine
  • A richly detailed game world embedded in the extensive fantasy world of The Dark Eye
For what it's worth, the game's current Metacritic score is 70 (whereas the user score is just 5.4). Grab it here.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Spiders are too creepy. Cannot buy unless it's possible to mod.

Koschey

Arcane
Huh, according to the German trailer, players will have to make momentous decisions in the game. I have a hard time believing that it's actually the player making those choices :lol:
Otherwise the presentation looks and sounds so mediocre it's average. Seems to be a bit too much in love with its own 'mature' and 'dark' themes for the sake of being 'mature' and 'dark'.

Pass (verdict is subject to change Both Steam and permanent internet connection required. I think not. :luddite: )

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
There is also out of STEAM Demo if you want to try before the buy; Played through Prologue which has nice C&C moment at end and even uses such skills like Fast-talk and Lore... But Combat is atrocious and clunky so play it on easy; why they didn't used the DS engine? It had better combat and looked 3 times better and should be up to grabs since producer bankrupted.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Playing on easy is not necessary; you will oneshot most mooks later on once you unlock some more magic and combat skills. Ice Lance + Lunge/Mortal Blow is win button. But in this case it actually makes sense that 99% of enemies is easy to defeat since main character has demonic powers (which are ridiculously OP in Dark Eye setting).

Also put a lot of points in Legend Lore, it gives new dialogue options leading to extra information on characters, enemies, the world, etc.

But all skills are useful (Medicine for instance very useful in early game) and are used quite often. And unlike in Drakensang games AP is quite plentiful.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Most useful skills: Boths Lores, Fast Talk, Armorer, Lockpicking and Perception; Medicine is useless as you will always get free bandages instead;
You need Lores and Fast talk at 3 to pass all checks in chapter one; Perception 2 and locks 5 and Armorer at 4 to open all but one doors and traps; you will have enough points to invest in Nova and Deadly Strike perks tree.

Passing Cheks give you additional Exp; Game throws Jewgold and Exp at you at 10X rate compared to Drakensag; still it is too hard for Consoltard pesants who hate numbers and being forced to read stuff. Story and writing are solid German 6/10 and game has incest and Tits So so far it was good investment.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Using Medicine to heal people can give a lot of AP.

It's worth raising to 4 for chapter 2.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Borbarad would make for good Codexian avatar :obviously:

saint_borbarad_by_eloel-d6jo5de.jpg

Commissar Draco

Patron
Yes checkpoint saves before major quests and and auto-save after every major battle. C&C is nice if sometimes the options are between liberal behavior completely anachronistic and out of place and going full Renegade. (which is not surprise better option most of times) Also the game features the entire fraction based on Lolbetarianism. :lol::salute: Writing is better than Commissar thought with only two instancesof NPCs acting full illogical and retardo but both of them are wymyn so its :incline:.

Commissar Draco

Patron
They are no side quests outside the boards and game is totally linear so I have to be close to finish the line then; Also have tons of Gold with nothing interesting to buy and Exp with maxed out skills. At least storyline don't suck and writing is competent with huge amount of C&C... but won't play it again cause it is still lineral as stick... and combat sucks even with patch. Hope that Blackguard will be better Dark Eye game than this Twicher for poor title.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
As an actual *Dark Eye* game this one will be hard to top. Good adaptation of Drakensang character system to action popamole and very good use being made of setting & lore. Even random junk you pick up has neat little description.

So far Blackguards looks like combat simulator and judging from Satinav and other adventures from the developer the game will have at least a passing story... but I'm not confident it will fit into Dark Eye setting.

Commissar Draco

Patron
To be honest liked DK RoT a lot more both as RPG and DE RPG but going to complete it which means its better than DA and ME3. Game is too complicated for popamolars and too popamolish for :obviously: players so I doubt there will be any sequel which is shame cause it has potential.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm on the fence about this. But mediocre story and shit combat ... meh. I'll pass.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
This game reminds me so much of Alpha Protocol that I find it strange that it doesn't get more love on the Dex. I wish I could into writing so that I could give it a Codex Review, because it deserves at least that much. Maybe a Quickie thing in Konjad's discontinued series.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom