Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon AKA the Celerity Attention Whore Thread

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
I wouldn't take pictures of myself if I looked like that. You have less shame than a based shitposter. Think about that a moment.

Celerity

I wouldn't take pictures of myself if I looked like that. You have less shame than a based shitposter. Think about that a moment.

Celerity

Even Cucktaku calls it Cookie Clicker like? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Reinhardt

Arcane
Random Factoid: Per SteamSpy, the average owner has played 27 hours of Darkest Dungeon.

pippin

That's still a lot. Compare it with those who played Skyrim but never completed the tutorial.

Celerity

The shills started astroturfing idlers really hard after my first review. It's very obvious they're doing it, just look for all the retards with no clue.

Celerity

Celerity isn't making Derpest Dungeon great again. So no, just shitpost on their forums and laugh at them for being cucks.

Kuattro

Augur
As almost everyone has already said. It's fun for something between 15 and 30 hours, until you realize there really is no way to fail, there's none of that "OMG roguelike difficulty that hardcore gamers will appreciate" that the media and the average gamer seems to see here, only some moments when the RNG feels like being an asshole and kills your healer with a critical+normal hit combo before you can even act, and that only has happened to me once in 30+ hours of gameplay, and that the game consists on basically doing the same again and again until you win or get tired of the repetition and give up.

If you can get it cheap, don't doubt it, it will keep your interest for quite a bit, and then you'll find something else to do, and maybe return from time to time to run a couple of dungeons.

Everytime I think about it, I still don't understand why they didn't make it really savage. If you can not lose, if getting new heroes is free and they will always be available, why not make them die like flies? It should feel like Hamburguer Hill, wave after wave of disposable manpower, which is a renewable resource in the game, getting thrown into the maws of evil and turned into minced meat, and then some shell shocked veterans that survived and got to be badasses. Instead, you end up losing heroes simply because you are firing them. That's not a desperate battle against the unmentionable, is running a Human Resources department (an analogy that I could swear someone else has already done in this thread). :negative:

Good for what it is, I suppose.

Gord

Arcane
Should have build the game around 10-15 hour runs with small rosters (<10) of (more durable) heroes, probably fixed selection from the start and more emphasis of the sanity system which anyway was their selling point.
Large persistant random dungeon that is explored incrementally, different mission types giving tangible benefits beside loot, etc...

Celerity

Becaquse they were triggered little bitches that in the words of one based guy "Are triggered because [Celerity] has lived rent free in their head for years because he made a better game with NOTEPAD."

Their ego wouldn't let them make a hardcore game because that'd mean admitting I was right.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So I've been playing the game. It's pretty fun.
I picked up DD again a few days ago after a long hiatus. Really good, stylish, time-consuming, punishing version of Progress Quest. I realized that all I really want in the early game is to find heirlooms to get the village to a decent level to where I can train skills to a decent level and form parties that can handle themselves. It's about building the town first so you can think about building the characters so you can think about building parties. Of course moment to moment you're worrying about your party handling the immediate conflict, so it's kind of a concentric layering of priorities. Interesting.

Sometimes you just want to advance your "eventually I'll beat this game" meter by a few gold and xp. Been getting that craving a lot lately and this game is perfect for that, especially since I don't asshole it by worrying too hard about being optimal. I'm enjoying throwing whoever's not stressed out into the party and then rearranging them and making it work (or not). End status report.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://killscreen.com/articles/meet-vampire-hunter-thats-coming-darkest-dungeons-dlc/

MEET THE VAMPIRE HUNTER THAT’S COMING FOR YOU IN DARKEST DUNGEON’S DLC

Red Hook Studios announced back in October that Darkest Dungeon, its dungeon crawler about the psychological stresses of adventuring, would be getting DLC in early 2017 called “The Crimson Court.” Today, we’re able to bring you the first reveal of that DLC with the introduction of a new character called The Fanatic.

As was teased previously with the Crimson Court poster and the tagline “The Blood! I must have the Blood!,” the DLC carries a Vampire or Parasite theme. The obvious addition to Darkest Dungeon, then, would be a Van Helsing-type vampire hunter that you could add to your party of heroes. “The community was quick to suggest this as well, but we at Red Hook always try to put a different spin on things, so we thought a great twist would be to introduce a vampire hunter, but have him be hunting you,” said Chris Bourassa, creative director at Red Hook.

The Fanatic is that vampire hunter. There’s a chance of him chasing and stalking your party if any one has contracted the “Crimson Curse” and steps foot into the dungeon. “The Fanatic will attempt to burn party members at the stake, improving his resilience by reading holy verses as the flames sear his victim,” Bourassa revealed. “Damaging his pyre will fill the Fanatic with zealous rage, emboldening his attacks and imbuing his warhammer with holy light. So it’s a (literal) damned if you do, damned if you don’t encounter!”

The Fanatic will be another of the “wandering bosses” like The Collector and The Shambler in Darkest Dungeon. A proper threat that you’ll want to avoid but will have a hard time doing so if he’s after you. Bourassa said that the team has been experimenting with custom audio cues that will let you know when he’s near, so perhaps you’ll have some warning at least.

As far as the visual design of The Fanatic goes, Bourassa told me he wanted to steer away from the classic vampire hunter tropes, like tall hats, gadgets, pouches, and crossbows. He’s more of a mad monk type of figure. “I imagine him as having gone rogue from the church, hunting the Crimson Court anywhere he can find them,” Bourassa said. “His scarred face gives the impression of having had a serious entanglement at some point in his past—perhaps that’s what finally drove him over the edge.”

“He’s got a few iconic vampire-hunting tools at his disposal—stakes, garlic, and prayer, but he’s given up on himself—he’s scarred & dirty,” Bourassa continued. “Nothing matters to him anymore except the pursuit of his righteous cause!”

Wherever possible, Bourassa likes to give the heroes and villains of Darkest Dungeon a signature weapon. The Fanatic’s is the warhammer as it felt like a great fit to Bourassa, plus it hasn’t been used anywhere else in the game. “The hammer has a ‘V’ on it, so when it’s heated up, every hit brands you as a Vampire,” he added.

Darkest Dungeon’s “Crimson Court” DLC will be coming out in early 2017 for Windows, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita. Look out for more information on the game’s website.

Celerity

So in other words they've completely abandoned any pretense of being a Hardcore Roguelike and are now just being all edgy memes? Yawn. Where's my warhammer so I can brand them as Failures?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.darkestdungeon.com/hamlet-for-the-holidays/

HAMLET FOR THE HOLIDAYS

Where there is no imagination there is no horror.
–Arthur Conan Doyle

New PC/Mac/Linux update is live!
The main purpose of this update was to merge back all the development done during the porting process to PS4. This should bring the PC/MAC/Linux up to date with the PS4/PSV builds.

Build #16707

• Added basic Controller support.
    • Currently only uses PS4 Icons. Will add Xbox glyphs in the future.
    • Added new control options category to options menu, which includes:
      • Enable Controller (Default: On)
      • Vibration (Default: On)
      • Hold Required in Dungeons (Default: OFF)
        • While in dungeons holding L button is required before you can swap hero positions, change hero selections, or view character sheets. Turn this on if you frequently start swapping a hero’s position when you don’t intend too.
      • Interact with L Stick Up (Default: ON)
        • While in dungeons, pressing up on L Stick can be used to enter doors, open curios, and similar actions. (This duplicates Cross Button functionality.)
  • Vvulf now won’t invade until at least week 35. Note: we are considering some possible further changes to this.
  • Highwayman riposte nerfed some
  • Abomination transformation will now properly give a blight buff, which increases duration with skill level
  • Abomination transform back will now properly give debuff, which increases duration with skill level (harder comedown)
  • Activity log and graveyard should know handle unknown character classes gracefully.
  • Added 3 new trinkets to PC build (from PS4): fortifying_garlic, ethereal_crucifix, tempting_goblet
  • Journal pages (written by KS backers) will now appear more frequently!
  • DD Talisman now reduces damage from Revelation skill by 100% instead of adding 100% protection. The latter wasn’t working because of the internal PROT cap.
  • Added new syntax for Ability tool-tips with self buffs (buffs that last x/rounds), and removed syntax for instant-buff abilities (i.e. +%DMG to Mark)
  • Added new Loot Window Text for recovering fallen hero trinkets after retreating from battle. (No longer says: VICTORY!)
  • Fix for crashes related to Razer headset drivers.
  • Fix to % Move modifiers not working properly.
  • Fix to map boss tooltip and scouting and checkmark.
  • Fix to graveyard not showing dead heroes.
  • Fix to bug involving wearing to -100% food consumption trinkets on one character affecting all party members.
  • Fix to incompatible quirk problem.
  • Fix for crash related to dragging heroes to the party from town event window.
  • Fix to Blurry drag objects and other images that are of odd widths drawn on centre.
  • Fix to remove buffs that persisted after death when resurrecting heroes.
  • Fix to Level 6 heroes getting benefit from Town Event resolve levels.
  • Fix to Hag’s Cauldron activity log text.
  • Fix to tutorial cursor changing.
  • Fix to the mysterious mini-map tiles disappearing or traps being shown as scouted when they aren’t.
  • Fix to map not being forced during scouting curio result.
  • Removed ability to target / select move when classes are immobilized.
  • Render announcements over character barks.
  • Added pulse animation on controller highlight for skills in character sheet.
  • Realm inventory UI cleanup
  • Various tool-tip fixes.
  • Various UI changes/updates.
  • Various new icons for pop-up windows (loot/hunger/curio/quest complete).
  • Added option to disable party first sort in roster list.
  • Fix for crashes related to Razer headset drivers. (This _should_ also help those affected by nahimic crashes).
  • Fix closing hot key sub menus help/glossary.
  • Updated journal fonts.
  • Fix to riposte tooltip.
  • Fix to inventory tooltips that overlap.
  • Fix to map hitboxes.
  • Fix to the background image in DD Quest 3.
  • [MODDING] Exposed ability for plot quests to be repeatable. ( “.is_repeatable” in quest.json)

FanaticDesk-1024x556.jpg

Crimson Court – The Fanatic
Last Friday, we revealed some tasty bits about a new encounter that’s coming as part of the Crimson Court DLC. The Fanatic will mercilessly hunt parties whose members are infected with the Crimson Curse, burning them at the stake, or smithing them with righteous fury! There’s a Necronomicon’s worth of appalling content and features that we’re excited to share – but we’re going to hold off until the new year – stay tuned!

Steam Workshop Update
We are making progress on Steam Workshop integration and will begin testing it very soon. (If you are a dedicated modder and want to take part in the closed test, please contact us.) Some of you will be excited to know that, as part of the modding support, we are exposing additional variables and settings that have been previously inaccessible. For example, torch settings!

Upcoming Core Game Updates
In addition to DLC, we wanted to tease some upcoming free core game updates! Thanks to the excellent community feedback and the continued support of the game, we have several initiatives in the works aimed at making the Darkest Dungeon experience even better. These can be broken down into two categories:
  • New Mode: RADIANT. One of the most common critiques of the game is that the significant length to completion (approximately 80+ hrs on average, though this varies widely) can lead to some players abandoning their campaigns, especially after a particularly nasty party-wipe with a valuable trinket loadout. Game length also exacerbates some of the grindier elements of the game’s design. While a portion of this endurance test is simply Darkest Dungeon as we intend it, we also would love for more players to be able to see the story through. So, we are planning an alternative game mode (RADIANT), which will have balance changes and rule tweaks aimed at bringing the completion time down to approximately 40 hours. Rest assured that even in this alternate campaign ruleset, we won’t be compromising on some of the core ideas that make DD what it is (e.g. permadeath, autosaving). However, we will flex here and there on some things and generally structure it so that a reasonable investment of time and effort can see things through to the deepest parts of the Ancestor’s trail. This also paves the way for additional modability, via exposing more options. Note: some achievements, and possibly even loot, will still require completing the Normal mode–we still want to celebrate the efforts of our dedicated players. Additionally, we will be looking at sharpening NG+’s claws a bit, for those who have mastered the current iteration. Stay tuned for more details!
  • Improvements, balance adjustments and “quality of life tweaks”: In addition to the new mode, we also have quite a few general tweaks and improvements that we would like to make across all modes. Many of these are based upon community feedback!
In short, you can count on additional improvements and an improved core game in addition to the the paid DLC! We love working on Darkest Dungeon, and still have a lot of things we’d like to do with it, thanks to your support.

Other Platforms in the New Year:
Darkest Dungeon is now available on PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, and Vita, and is translated into 8 languages. We are actively looking into other platforms and other languages, and hope to confirm them soon! Our community has even recently completed a first draft of Simplified Chinese translation, so that’s something we need to look at hooking up.

Art Books, Prints, and Dioramas
Kickstarter backers may have seen THIS UPDATE we recently posted. But we also wanted to confirm generally that Art Books, Art Prints, and Dioramas will be available for purchase in the New Year, not to mention a couple other cool physical items we are lining up. We’ll have more information soon!

Sales, Sales, Sales
If you have friends that have been thinking of picking up Darkest Dungeon, let’s just say there are some good opportunities coming up over the holidays and in January to get it for a discount on some of the platforms and storefronts it’s currently available for!

Wrap Up
As you can see, here at Red Hook Studios we’re a bunch of busy elves (or at least maggots), tinkering and building and setting things up for an awesome 2017. We hope that you are as excited as we are! If so, please help spread all of today’s news by sharing on FB, retweeting, and so on.

May your Estate be graced with snow, festivity, corruption and blood.
–The Darkest Dungeon Team

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom