Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The BOOM of survival horror (indi) games

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I just checked out HUNTSMAN: THE ORPHANAGE's Steam page and saw this:

A HYBRID OF HORROR-SURVIVAL AND CREEPYPASTA...
Finally, a game that gives you rich dialogue, complex characters and atmospheric setting at the same time as it takes away violence as your only way out.

I'm not sure they're with the times, because I'm quite fond of Penumbra and Amnesia for doing just that. Also, creepypasta is stupid.

The writing on the Steam page beyond that is more interesting, though, and sets a pretty neat feeling atmosphere, but then I watched the trailers...

Yeah, there's a lot of these on Greenlight.

The only one that caught my eye was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64t0-mKh8HI, and I mostly just enjoyed the aesthetic, I think it's just another Slender clone.

Dr Tomo

Learned

Finally, a game that gives you rich dialogue, complex characters and atmospheric setting at the same time as it takes away violence as your only way out.

I'm not sure they're with the times, because I'm quite fond of Penumbra and Amnesia for doing just that. Also, creepypasta is stupid.

The writing on the Steam page beyond that is more interesting, though, and sets a pretty neat feeling atmosphere, but then I watched the trailers...

The only one that caught my eye was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64t0-mKh8HI, and I mostly just enjoyed the aesthetic, I think it's just another Slender clone.

Did it caught your eye because it is going to feel like playing Slender man? Looks like the same thing to me.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Did it caught your eye because it is going to feel like playing Slender man? Looks like the same thing to me.

Dr Tomo

Learned

Well aware that you enjoy that aesthetics which looks exactly like slenderman as I haven't seen any other game using the same things the game did.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
Just noticed this one:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/249360/

Stuck in a remote, abandoned town, you must lead five survivors with conflicting motivations, fragile relationships and fiery prejudices to safety from the roving undead. A sophisticated engine generates new survivors, towns and content so every adventure is a different experience, and you can use built-in editors to add yourself and... Genre: Indie, RPG, Simulation, Strategy

About the Game
Stuck in a remote, abandoned town, you must lead five survivors with conflicting motivations, fragile relationships and fiery prejudices to safety from the roving undead. A sophisticated engine generates new survivors, towns and content so every adventure is a different experience, and you can use built-in editors to add yourself and others to the game.
Features
  • Deal with the volatile relationships of your survivors by strategically assigning them to tasks, siding with them on difficult decisions or seeding rumours about their past
  • The undead aren't the only threat - negotiate, bargain, trade with or fight merciless lynch mobs, zombie hunters and bitten survivors
  • Experience a fresh story each time you play as the procedural engine crafts new survivors, towns and content
  • Built-in editors make it easy to add yourself and your friends to the game. Create your own survival horror story in your hometown
  • Unique diary interface records each action, choice and disaster. Save your heroic story and share it with others

Zafehouse: Diaries is a fresh take on the zombie / survival horror genre. If you're sick of mindless shooters or generic-looking top down affairs that just don't get what the zombie genre is about, this is the game for you.

Cromwell

Arcane
That's what Outlast looks like to me in particular. I watched some footage of the opening area, and it looked like a fucking Condemned game instead of a survival horror.

I played it now for about 40 Minutes. Its terrible. I dont know who got the Idea first but i hate Head bobbing. Who the fuck walks while bobbing his head, its annoying. Everytime I Move my vision the graphics get blury for a second or so which I also found very annoying on my eyes. The walkspeed is slow. Opening doors, using your camera, doing anything, triggers an animation which is also annoying.

You have no light, you have to use the nightvision on your camera, apparently the reporter guy didnt think it as a good Idea to bring a fucking flashlight to a break in at night. Lighting was most infuriating since theres no logic behind it, you stand in a room, left side is bright lighted, right side is pitch black as in "you dont see nothing at all" the room is small the lamp is big and the only thing in between light and darkside of the room is a bunch of crates, with a little open space in between them. So the whole game consists of very bright areas right beneath pitch black areas so you have to switch between normal view and annoying nightvision all the time, no other light source (flashlight, torch lighter whatever.)

The game is not scary at all, I tried to follow the enemies to see how quick they can kill me, all enemies (outside of placed jumpscares) are not reachable, meaning you stand in a corridor, see one at the end and do your best to sprint to him, as you reach him he will have vanished though a door (which is then locked) or vanished otherwise. On the other hand, the only three enemies I have seen who were dangerous were placed right in my path. I went in a room and after doing stuff there a fat guy breaks in and beats me to death, I reload and see the only way out is the door he came in (the room is very small) so you get hit in the face and then run away from him. You see nothing because of the mentioned dark areas so you have to use your camera like your in blair witch and search for some area where he doesnt follow. They say you have to hide but you cant, your only way is to run exactly where the game wants you to run (in this instance the basement where you have to turn the light back on).

You stumble around in the basement, again some inmates far away and unreachable, until you are, also again, in a small room where after doing stuff another inmate will spawn at the entrance, rinse repeat. Were the other guy was fat and big and I understood why I couldnt do anything to him, the second one was a small dude, on the edge of stairs, I waited untill he killed me, which took him some time since he hits very slow, and clicked furiously on him in the hopes I could just kick the fucker down the stairs and jump on his head. I also could have taken his wench or whatever it was he hit me with since he was so slow, but the game tries to make a point out of you beeing not able to fight anything but then place the enemie spawns right before you without any way for you to hide.

I deinstalled it at that moment.

I almost forgot, he doesnt take notes without his camera, meaning the tooltip says if you dont look at it with the camera, he wont take a note of it. So youre forced to have the thing on almost everytime if you dont want to miss on something.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's what Outlast looks like to me in particular. I watched some footage of the opening area, and it looked like a fucking Condemned game instead of a survival horror.

I played it now for about 40 Minutes. Its terrible. I dont know who got the Idea first but i hate Head bobbing. Who the fuck walks while bobbing his head, its annoying.

Pigeon simulator

garren

Arcane
Patron
Just fired up outlast to try it myself, graphical settings are really limited, at least you can increase the FOV and remove the motion blur from .ini files, thank god. Last annoying thing left is a film grain effect on the screen, and its unremovable :x

Movement is a bit jerky and the headbob is annoying, but I'm personally kinda tolerant to those things.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I tried to get a review copy of Outlast but did not succeed. Perhaps it’s for the best if the graphics options suck, because my laptop has a terrible time with Unreal Engine games unless they look low-fi. The gameplay sounds abysmal.

Cromwell

Arcane
Having thought about Outlast, why does someone think its a good Idea to not being able to do something about enemies. In amnesia I had no problem to believe that you had no chance against wahtever was there, you had enough options to go out of their way, and some monsters you didnt see at all. In outlast its just downright stupid to not being able to at least tackle some guys, hit them with your fist or grab some basic weapon like a plank, a wench or whatever shit is lying around.

It would be ok If they are stronger then you and it is encouraged to get out of the way but being simply defenseless because the dev says so is idiotic. Also I dont know in which country this game lays but I wuld expect someone who tries to break in in a highly secured mental ward to at least bring some weapon with him, afterall he knew that there were strange things going on. A simple gun would suffice I could shoot the first 6 or so retards and be done with it, grab something for further self preservation issues.

Also, If someone played it longer then me, is there an explanation given why the fuck he doesnt storm out of the hellhole? I thought it was the second room you stumble in which is filled with hanged, impaled and beheaded private security guys (it is beyond me why the inmates arent filled with bullet holes by then) I would expect the weak fearful reporter guy to just run away the way he came back to his car and drive the fuck away. He then can proceed to give the little video material to sokme special gun unit which will storm the ward, or go home and drink himself to death.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
They should stop pretending and make these games after some state-shattering catastrophe with zombies being replaced with starving non-survivalists.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It would be ok If they are stronger then you and it is encouraged to get out of the way but being simply defenseless because the dev says so is idiotic. Also I dont know in which country this game lays but I wuld expect someone who tries to break in in a highly secured mental ward to at least bring some weapon with him, afterall he knew that there were strange things going on. A simple gun would suffice I could shoot the first 6 or so retards and be done with it, grab something for further self preservation issues.
One of the trailers mentioned MKULTRA on a flashing screen I think, so it's probably set in the United States. I would just love to see how they trivialize controversial experimental shit like that.

Dr Tomo

Learned
God that review, also can someone explain to me why motion blur is so popular now in games? Not sure if it is meant to make you puke or cause your stigmatism to act up to artificially increase the difficulty for the player.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Well aware that you enjoy that aesthetics which looks exactly like slenderman as I haven't seen any other game using the same things the game did.

It doesn't look exactly like Slender. It's pretty stylized, while Slender is very minimalistic and plain.

Dr Tomo

Learned

It doesn't look exactly like Slender. It's pretty stylized, while Slender is very minimalistic and plain.

Well it looked like it to me and added running and gimmicky lighting effects which has already been over used. I also expect this studio to adopt the same thing as other horror indie titles where they force motion blur down your throat to add difficulty to the game so you either puke or get a migraine.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I want to play Machine for Pigs for the Victorian era exploration but I know the horror gameplay will make me stop playing it.

/pussy

Luzur

Good Sir

I played it now for about 40 Minutes. Its terrible. I dont know who got the Idea first but i hate Head bobbing. Who the fuck walks while bobbing his head, its annoying. Everytime I Move my vision the graphics get blury for a second or so which I also found very annoying on my eyes. The walkspeed is slow. Opening doors, using your camera, doing anything, triggers an animation which is also annoying.

You have no light, you have to use the nightvision on your camera, apparently the reporter guy didnt think it as a good Idea to bring a fucking flashlight to a break in at night. Lighting was most infuriating since theres no logic behind it, you stand in a room, left side is bright lighted, right side is pitch black as in "you dont see nothing at all" the room is small the lamp is big and the only thing in between light and darkside of the room is a bunch of crates, with a little open space in between them. So the whole game consists of very bright areas right beneath pitch black areas so you have to switch between normal view and annoying nightvision all the time, no other light source (flashlight, torch lighter whatever.)

The game is not scary at all, I tried to follow the enemies to see how quick they can kill me, all enemies (outside of placed jumpscares) are not reachable, meaning you stand in a corridor, see one at the end and do your best to sprint to him, as you reach him he will have vanished though a door (which is then locked) or vanished otherwise. On the other hand, the only three enemies I have seen who were dangerous were placed right in my path. I went in a room and after doing stuff there a fat guy breaks in and beats me to death, I reload and see the only way out is the door he came in (the room is very small) so you get hit in the face and then run away from him. You see nothing because of the mentioned dark areas so you have to use your camera like your in blair witch and search for some area where he doesnt follow. They say you have to hide but you cant, your only way is to run exactly where the game wants you to run (in this instance the basement where you have to turn the light back on).

You stumble around in the basement, again some inmates far away and unreachable, until you are, also again, in a small room where after doing stuff another inmate will spawn at the entrance, rinse repeat. Were the other guy was fat and big and I understood why I couldnt do anything to him, the second one was a small dude, on the edge of stairs, I waited untill he killed me, which took him some time since he hits very slow, and clicked furiously on him in the hopes I could just kick the fucker down the stairs and jump on his head. I also could have taken his wench or whatever it was he hit me with since he was so slow, but the game tries to make a point out of you beeing not able to fight anything but then place the enemie spawns right before you without any way for you to hide.

I deinstalled it at that moment.

I almost forgot, he doesnt take notes without his camera, meaning the tooltip says if you dont look at it with the camera, he wont take a note of it. So youre forced to have the thing on almost everytime if you dont want to miss on something.

i watched a playthrough of it last night, and noticed military/SWAT dudes dead here and there? why cant the PC pick up a gun from them?

but then again, it just turns into a shooter, so i guess its better to be locked in total non-combat mode.

Cromwell

Arcane
i watched a playthrough of it last night, and noticed military/SWAT dudes dead here and there? why cant the PC pick up a gun from them?

but then again, it just turns into a shooter, so i guess its better to be locked in total non-combat mode.

I tried it again because I feel like a noob quitting on a game because it lets me rage. I was dumb on my first try, you can actually outrun them (because the ai is dumb) or hide in a closet or under a bed. Still its not possible to fight (at least as far as I have played now).

The "Combat" comes down to you do something/go somewhere important > you trigger a spawn an event or an enemy is already placed there > you run and hide until it goes away > you follow the corridor. Supposedly there are bosses and chase scenes, I didn't see them. As for the swat or whatever special unit, you meet them impaled and beheaded or otherwise mutilated and pretty dead very early. Later it is somewhat solved why they didn't storm the ward, they got blasted from some invicible enemy which is shown to you via tape, but I don't kn ow what that was.

There is one fat Guy who "Chases" you, which in this case means events regarding him are scripted. he comes you run a little away and then something happens (He throws you somewhere down, you get blasted out of the corridor etc). Running around with that fucking nightvision still annoyed me to no end so I stopped playing maybe a hour in, from what I read in a review the whole game is also only about 4 hours long. I would prefer a real light source like a lamp or something to the nightvision, but there is none and nightvision is required.

So far nothing really to explore, you just move from point a to point c over point b, B mostly is get a keycard, turn on the lights, the electricity, watch something.

The additional scary moments I saw are more or less not frightening since they are missing a sense of danger. Meaning in this case for example you met two naked inmates, with machetes who talk about who of them gets what part of you to eat. That would be scary if it where not for the fact that you and they are sepperated by bars, which neither of you cant open. It gets unintenionally funny when their dialogue has ended and they proceed to just stand there, naked, and stare you down. You go around them via climbing out of the corridor and back in maybe 50 metres later and they have vanished. Other scary parts you will witne4ss, as in you stand one floor above, behind a window or something like that. You are never there when shit happens and someone gets really crazy.

Also most of the inmates don't attack you, they talk to you, bash their head against walls, eat one another or something other very very very dangerous and scary. Just not to you. The only problem is you can not see which enemy will attack you and which is just an extra. So they all become extras with the difference that you get sometimes suprise punched by one of them and have to run.

Maybe it gets better later, dont know if I finish it. Wouldnt recommend buying it either way.

Last edited:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
They are doing some browser or mobile game related to The Hobbit or something I think. That was at least on their plate at some point recently. A few of their key people left and made Blackpowder Games, the guys who are developing Betrayer.

DefJam101

Arcane
Trying to make the player feel as if they're in a horrific life-threatening situation is pretty silly since the player character is always a quickload away from being immortal.
A possible solution would be to either use checkpoints or not allow the player to save at all midlevel. But people would bitch about this.

Name

Cipher
They would bitch about checkpoint placement I think. How do you place the checkpoint in a way that players don't think they are screwed because of checkpoint.

Cromwell

Arcane
Also the Argument is weird, you can also feel fear if watching a slasher movie, there the character is also just a rewind away from being immortal.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Also the Argument is weird, you can also feel fear if watching a slasher movie, there the character is also just a rewind away from being immortal.
:lol: Wasn't aware that I can interact with the character of a movie and prevent them from dying. Not sure how one can compare a movie to a video game..............

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom