Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dorateen

Arcane
They have wisely done away with the faux first-person view and grid-based movement of the '80s

Well, the author of this article sure knows about faux.

I thought there was supposed to be the option for grid-based movement, it just wasn't implemented for the alpha. Has that been dropped?

It hasn't been dropped, Zombra ? Then why does the author make a claim that the game has done away with grid-based movement, and wisely at that?

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jesus christ, put some kind of disclaimer on that mmorpg.com article Infinitron. It is factually wrong almost from beginning to end.

Dorateen grid movement is still supposed to be coming. It was implemented in the first alpha/demo, just very buggy. I guess they didn't perfect it in time for the beta. Of course it's possible they secretly trashed it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, just for fun. let's do this
crazyrobot.gif

Skara Brea
Skara Brea
Skara Brae
Skara Brae
First of all, wow.

We are getting a true sequel.
While perhaps a matter of opinion, this is vastly debatable.

This new installment in the series builds upon the original story.
Well. It deviates significantly from the original story, but whatever.

Bard's Tale 4 does come with the lore and flavor of the originals.
Lore? An "adapted" version at best ... and the "flavor" of the game is very different from the originals.

In true fantasy fashion, you start with a lone adventurer and gather allies, gaining in power as you traverse all the twists and turns the story has to offer.
"In true fantasy fashion"? Fantasy RPGs are usually party-based. And not just games - Lord of the Rings was party-based for crying out loud.

When making a game based on a series that started over thirty years ago, inXile has the daunting task of deciding when to stick to the trappings of the original and when to modernize components.
Only thing in the article worth a thumbs up. All these series revivals have been mine fields.

They have wisely done away with the faux first-person view and grid-based movement of the '80s
Grid-based movement is still to be included last I heard, and the original games were already proper first-person view.

Character creation and progression is very similar to the original games
Character creation and progression is nothing like the original games.

(limited classes to start, unlock the more powerful classes as you progress)
In the original games this was only true of a few magic user prestige classes. All other classes were available at level 1 and no abilities unlocked as you levelled up, your numbers just got better. A level 50 Hunter was a level 1 Hunter with a better crit rate.

While most recent RPGs have shunned racial passive abilities, BT4 gives a nod to the original with each race having their own unique ability
The original games did not have unique racial abilities, just stat bonuses/penalties.

All races have male and female options
Except dwarves and elves.

While you have full control creating the main protagonist, the rest of your party will be made up of characters you find throughout the story.
You (eventually) have full control over creating the entire party. There is no main protagonist. You can keep the "narrative PCs" provided if you wish, that's it.

You will still be able to reset their skill trees so there shouldn't be any worries about tweaking the party to fit your playstyle.
While unlimited respec is available in the beta, this will not be the case in the release version.

One thing is certain, you'll never have enough opportunity points to do everything you want in a single turn.
This is even more of a throwaway line than the rest of the article. It's quite possible to have all party members pull off their "big moves" in one turn, and cooldowns on important powers mean that sometimes the player will have more Opportunity than can be effectively used.

One thing that hasn't changed much from the original is the limited save opportunities.
The save system here is completely different from those of the original games, which notably even had different save systems from each other.

[inXile Entertainment has] done an excellent job of blending the old with the new, and fans of the original series, and dungeon crawlers in general, should be happy with the direction they have taken the genre.
Obvious to state, but to claim what grognards should or should not be happy with is the height of arrogance.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
In true fantasy fashion, you start with a lone adventurer and gather allies, gaining in power as you traverse all the twists and turns the story has to offer.
"In true fantasy fashion"? Fantasy RPGs are usually party-based. And not just games - Lord of the Rings was party-based for crying out loud.
Was it?
Like BT4 you started with Frodo and then added other party members bit by bit :)

V_K

Arcane
Was it?
Like BT4 you started with Frodo and then added other party members bit by bit :)
Nope, Frodo didn't start alone, he was accompanied by three other hobbits since the very beginning.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Was it?
Nope, Frodo didn't start alone, he was accompanied by three other hobbits since the very beginning.
Not really. He gets a quest from Gandalf alone, then gets Sam and other 2 hobbits afterwards.

Cadmus

Arcane
Was it?
Not really. He gets a quest from Gandalf alone, then gets Sam and other 2 hobbits afterwards.
This reminds me - I think in LotR the party XP is awarded for kills, not split among the party equally. Pipin and Merry end up much higher lvl than Frodo and Sam is somewhere in the middle cuz he killed a few guys at least.

V_K

Arcane
Was it?
Getting the quest is just the intro sequence, the gameplay starts with a party.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Jesus christ, put some kind of disclaimer on that mmorpg.com article Infinitron. It is factually wrong almost from beginning to end.

Dorateen grid movement is still supposed to be coming. It was implemented in the first alpha/demo, just very buggy. I guess they didn't perfect it in time for the beta. Of course it's possible they secretly trashed it.

I would be really pissed if they did

ArchAngel

Arcane
Was it?
Getting the quest is just the intro sequence, the gameplay starts with a party.
In that case you can consider your start of BT4 as a interactive intro sequence :P

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks, that saves me the effort :salute:
Honestly, what a piece of shit that article is. There's IGN and the like, doing what you'd expect from those sites, and then there's this. Now I'm no authority on Bard's Tale, but to claim that character creation and progression is very similar to the originals? Five minutes of googling at most would have saved the author that embarassment. And he has the audacity to mock people who think the 2004 game was the first...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Another shit article by mmorpg.com. What a shocker. The place has gone down the pits ever since the MMO genre died. Now they have severely unqualified people making articles on anything they can to get some news hits. One of their articles even claimed that Fallout 76 is supppsed to be an MMORPG. That's how desperate their news staff is.

Siobhan

Arbiter
the MMO genre died
It did? I thought the player base is bigger than ever before, and MMO mechanics have made their way into all kinds of genres. Details please, I'd love to celebrate the purported demise of MMOs with a bottle of wine.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
the MMO genre died
It did? I thought the player base is bigger than ever before, and MMO mechanics have made their way into all kinds of genres. Details please, I'd love to celebrate the purported demise of MMOs with a bottle of wine.

The MMO player base apexed during WoW's Wrath or Cataclysm expac and has been in steady decline ever since then. FF14 is the 2nd largest MMO in terms of subscribers and it has also been on the decline for over a year now. Those two games are where most of the western MMO players are at and both are dwindling out.

Themadcow

Augur
I tried, again, to play the Beta demo over the weekend. No wife, no kids to distract me.

I managed almost an hour before just deciding it wasn't worth my time (1 managed 1.5 hours the first attempt). Just to make sure I hadn't somehow become jaded by Blobbers I booted up Grimoire and... Sakura Dungeon (like I said, no wife or kids this weekend). I could have gone with Elminage or even MMX - all are infinitely better examples of the genre than BT4, which felt like what I think it is - a cheaply made game designed by an inexperienced/young team with no idea of what BT1-3 were about.

Pretty much everything Zombra said is on the money. As a backer of every inXile project so far (including $120 on BT4) I'm done with them. All of the experienced BT people have been giving them feedback on party (I suppose they did increase the size...), skills and combat since day 1 and they've ignored 95% of the feedback while giving replies to the minority of nodding heads.

In the end, if I've spent $120 for good remasters of BT1-3 and a nice box then I can think of worse ways I've spent money, but it seems like such a wasted opportunity to do for turn based blobbers what Grimrock did for real time blobbers.

Themadcow

Augur
I've never played it, but come on, Sakura Dungeon? That looks like utter trash

It's bang average at best - yet still a better homage to Bards Tale / Wizardry than BT4. I guess that's kinda my point. You even have a better selection of party members and a better selection of skills / spells - which is kinda scary. Plus, boobs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom