Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
BG2 is the only really good Bioware game and event that one isn't that good. BW might not have many games that are individually overrated to the level of Arcanum/New Vegas/Dark/DeSouls (first BG comes pretty close though) on here, but I guess it wins easily when taking their whole portfolio into consideration. Obsidian, get to work, you're losing.

likaq

Arcane
:necro:

I recently completed my second and final ( i will never ever touch this game again ) playthrough of bg2.
Some kills stats if anyone is interested:

Place Body count

Irenicus dungeon 85
Watcher's Keep 337

Game Body count

Shadows of Amn 1938
Throne of Bhaal 1048

Entire game 2986

Next time when a biodrone will tell you that bg2 is not extremely combat-oriented game you can show him these numbers.

Zetor

Arcane
Zetor and Coriolanus , you both should report the bugs / solutions to DavidW over here: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=25893&&page=5

One thing to keep in mind- are you using tactics or ascension? Tactics doesn't use WeiDu Best Practices and ascension doesn't really patch, so you might have some bad script or creature modifications.
I was using the standard BGT ascension setup (using BWP) with scs, and it worked fine for everything except this one encounter. I didn't go anywhere near the cheese-laden mess that is Tactics.

There are 2 issues: she doesn't initiate conversation immediately (minor, pc can just talk to her) and her sub-20% script doesn't fire. SCS gives her one of those items that makes her unkillable, so even with all the manual cluaconsoling I had to use the timestop + shapeshift mindflayer trick to get the loot.
I think DavidW is aware of it, I saw him post in one of the bug threads on baldursgate.com or gibberlings3.net (not at home atm, can't check). Someone else on the baldursgate.com forums actually made a patch, but it didn't work for me - it DID fix the automatic talk, but her death trigger was still broken (I relaxed the conditions with nearinfinity, but that didn't help either). Returning to an earlier save may have worked (are mob scripts of loaded areas stored in the save file? Prob not, I don't know anything about IE internals), but my autosave and quicksave were both in sendai's encalve and I had no earlier saves.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I still would post, including a weidu.log and how you fixed it. A 'standard' setup using BWP is still a shit load of mods, and the BWP is never bug free.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Slowly churning through BG2 and I discovered something I didn't think about before - charming Glacias, the guy with the last piece of the flail in Nalia's keep. The problem is after I charm him he just runs off. He says two lines of dialogue and then he's gone. The dude has the last flail piece -- does he run off to anywhere in particular or is this just a bug?

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Slowly churning through BG2 and I discovered something I didn't think about before - charming Glacias, the guy with the last piece of the flail in Nalia's keep. The problem is after I charm him he just runs off. He says two lines of dialogue and then he's gone. The dude has the last flail piece -- does he run off to anywhere in particular or is this just a bug?

Sounds like a bug. In the past i've charmed him with the ring of human influence and he gives you some more information and either gives you or tells you about the last flail piece. I can't quite remember which.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Well fuck.

Alright I guess I'll just put these flail heads back.

Xeon

Augur
Party: PCBerserker, Jaheira, Viconia, Yoshimo, Edwin.

Can someone advice if I should buy the Plate of Balduran and Vhailor's Helm or will I find something better or equally good soon in chapter 2. Currently using: Gift of Piece -- Full Plate Mail +1 -- Periapt of Life Protection -- Ring of Regen -- Ring of Earth Control -- Cloak of the Sewers -- Sense of the Cat -- Destroyer of Hills -- Flail of Ages +3 -- Arbane's Sword +2. If I buy those 2 items I will be adding +2 to my AC from each, the only thing that sucks is I will be losing the 20% resistance from my helmet if I buy the Vhailor's Helm but I saw that it gives me a copy of my PC which might be good.

I finished several quests most notably the Unseeing Eye, I think the game kinda buggy when it comes to AI and path finding. I thought I'll try and fight the Beholder without the Shield of Balduran and try to win but it kinda was really easy. I had the Flail of Ages+3 I am currently mastering and the Arbane's Sword +2. Used the berserker ability and then the rod on the Beholder and it died after one single hit I think, I didn't check who hit him. Hardest difficulty. He only used the yellow smoke attack and simply stood there. kinda weird. the smaller beholders were more dangerous with how fast and many they attack.

I had another similar experience against the Lich from the Graveyard that's connected to Edwin's quest I think. After he turned red I backed off and sent a Skeleton hoping to make him waste his spells on but instead he used Door or something and teleported to near the exit of the Pharaoh area, he ignored everyone and simply kept facing the exit until it died. Not all of them are like that tho, the Lich in the Unseeing eye area and the one in the City Gate Inn were pretty tough and I couldn't win against them and figured I'll try again later.

I am thinking of going to kill the dragon that belongs to the Copper Cornet noble quest and want to prepare before going there. I found Dragon's Bane +3 will give a try even tho I am not proficient in using it but it might work. Also I am kinda thinking of exchanging Edwin with Aerie and finding and getting Haer'Dalis just to see if I can steal Aerie before or during their romance or something.

Mods currently using: BG2 Tweaks v15: Added botomless bags -- Max HP on level up (PC only) -- no infighting or leaving because of Reputation and enabled multi romance.

Xeon

Augur
I am guessing you are not approved of the entire thing,
- Bottomless Bags are just so I don't waste time organizing inventory when its not necessary.
- Max HP on PC because probably the only one I'll be sticking to the entire game so don't want to bother save scumming (I am not sure save scumming works, tried the first few times and there were no changes of how many HPs I am getting even with the mod active, found a post that says after level 10 or something the HP gain is fixed based on class or something).
- NPC related changes are so I don't have to change the NPC if I find a suitable setup. From my experience of BG1 Morality is kinda too black and white so not that interested.
- Multi romance to get the final items for both of Jaheira and Veconia and now I am kinda a little bit interested to see the romance between Aerie, Haer'Dalis and the PC. I don't think Aerie get any special items from the romance tho, might be wrong.

Edit:
I hope "approved" is an appropriate word to use, if not I am sorry.

Athelas

Arcane
I don't think Aerie get any special items from the romance tho
aeries-babyL.jpg

aleph

Arcane
- Max HP on PC because probably the only one I'll be sticking to the entire game so don't want to bother save scumming (I am not sure save scumming works, tried the first few times and there were no changes of how many HPs I am getting even with the mod active, found a post that says after level 10 or something the HP gain is fixed based on class or something).

Cheating to avoid save scumming. What a horrifying look into the mind of the modern gamer.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I don't think Aerie get any special items from the romance tho
aeries-babyL.jpg
Question is: Can you sell it?

Biowarian Question is: Can you romance it?

Damn, a mod?

I checked GameBanshee and there is no mention of that.
Sorcerer's said:
In Throne of Bhaal, Aerie will offer herself to you again. This time it is quite safe to take her up on it – except of course for the inevitable result that Aerie gets pregnant. Should you want to see your baby, these conditions must be met:

• The baby will be born no earlier than 33 days game time after Aerie announces her pregnancy
  • You must have completed the fifth and last challenge in the Hellish Pocket Plane (fighting the Ravager).
  • After the challenge comes a love talk where you marry Aerie.
  • Now wait for 1 hour (real time – just set the game on pause and go get a cup of tea). Aerie will give birth to a healthy baby boy so long as there are no hostile or neutral creatures nearby.

Delterius

Arcane

Cheating to avoid save scumming. What a horrifying look into the mind of the modern gamer.
Modern as compared to Baldur's Gate, where easy difficulty already lets you scribe spells and gain hitpoints with maximum efficiency?

aleph

Arcane

Modern as compared to Baldur's Gate, where easy difficulty already lets you scribe spells and gain hitpoints with maximum efficiency?

I meant the mindset itself, that someone would justify cheating by saying otherwise he would save scum. Even worse, neither is required anyway, as you rightly pointed out.

Xeon

Augur
I don't think I said that I will save scum, I tried it and didn't work the first few times, installed the mod and it kinda still feels the same, for HP I am only getting +3 on level up.

Anyway I decided to buy extra things for Viconia and Jahiera instead of the armor for the PC, Viconia now has +9 AC (highest so far but her HP is kinda bad, only 2 HP points better than Edwin. Jahiera has +8 AC.

Viconia: Helm of Balduran -- Full Plate Mail +1 -- Shield Amulet -- Girdle of Hill Giant Strength -- Fortress Shield +3 -- Mace +2 -- Sling +2
Jaheira: Helm of Charm -- Full Plate Mail +1 -- Saving Grace -- The Brawling Hands -- Elves Bane -- Ring of Human Influence -- Sling +2

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It is acceptable to install NWN-mode HP if you're a weakling. Max HP is just pathetic. Game's easy enough as it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom