Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Aethra Chronicles

octavius

Arcane
Patron
1994 marks a sharp decline in CRPG history, after peaking in 1992 and 1993. Along with Realms of Arkania: Star Trail, The Aethra Chronicles looks like the only decent CRPG of that year.

It's supposed to be quite hard and there is lots of options on how to form your party. A bit too many options, in fact, since you can only generate three characters and there are five races, eleven classes and about twenty skills to choose from.

I've gathered that I should start with fighter types and that thieves and rogues have a powerful Deadly Strike ability.
Role playing wise I think the main character, being the son of the Knight Paladin of the Realm, should be a Paladin.
So tentative party is main character Human Paladin, sidekick a Hobbit Thief and third not sure.
Any suggestions?

BTW, any way to get the DosBox scalers to work? For old DOS games I prefer playing in a window and using the normalX3 scaler, but it doesn't work for this game. In fact, none of the scalers I've tried works. Even fullscreen doesn't work; it's just a large black screen with the tiny game screen in the middle. Only thing that works is "Keep correct aspect ratio".

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
You definitely need a Cleric and Mage (pick your poison, I usually had a Sorceror. Learn a Chronometry discipline ASAP). Ashikari is a very, very useful character to have. It' an unstoppable machine with Way of the Dragon spell, but usually I just hired him.
Hand-to-hand is useful skill for mage and druid, BTW. Transformations are very nice.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Octavius, shot in the dark but try changing output=surface to output=ddraw in dosbox.conf. I think default is the former, which doesn't support scaling.

NecrosD

Novice
I'd say create an Ashikari, a Sorceror or Mentalist (Dominate and Mass Dominate are great spells to have in this game) and a Cleric. Then pick up a Thief and a Paladin; make sure to max out the Thief Deadly strike ability it's great on higher levels and can one hit a lot of enemies so you'll be able to use him to clear out rooms. Last character can be almost anything I went with a Ranger for diversity and they're good with Ranged weapons - you'll find some really good bows later in the game.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Does anyone find the encounter rate in this game kind of high? I remember liking this game when I was young, but I've recently tried it and the high rate of battles kind of bothers me, especially since they're tactical battles and not trash mobs.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You definitely need a Cleric and Mage (pick your poison, I usually had a Sorceror. Learn a Chronometry discipline ASAP). Ashikari is a very, very useful character to have. It' an unstoppable machine with Way of the Dragon spell, but usually I just hired him.
Hand-to-hand is useful skill for mage and druid, BTW. Transformations are very nice.

What can a Cleric do that a Paladin can't?
And why is Chronometry important?

Octavius, shot in the dark but try changing output=surface to output=ddraw in dosbox.conf. I think default is the former, which doesn't support scaling.

I've had no problems scaling other games, even using the default surface output.
But for this game no matter which output or videocard I choose the game refuses to scale, which is annoying, since I can hardly make out the icons.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
What can a Cleric do that a Paladin can't?
Healing, removing status effects, blessing and turning undead. Paladin have a inferior versions of these spells, should gain a many levels first or don't have some spells at all.
And why is Chronometry important?
Aynstyne's Accelerated Action

octavius

Arcane
Patron
BTW, someone pointed me towards a package including the SVN version of DosBox, and now the scaling works using opengl as output.
So I guess I'll give Aethra a proper try once I've finished my current FRUA game.

Zeriel

Arcane
As mentioned, you can hire a lot of mercenaries. Some of them are from following the storyline, and are "free". These free ones tend to be really, really powerful, so it's sometimes worth venturing out to ass-backwards-out-of-the-way towns when the game first starts to pick them up if you feel like cheesing.

And yes, the game is all about combat. The story (while I recall liking it) is really spartan, the game isn't finished per se, and so forth. It's a really, really fun dungeon crawling experience, though. I like that there's a lot of unique items, adventuring supplies, and lots of upgrades to be found in just mundane weaponry before you even get into "magical" nonsense.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just started playing this game.
I created an Elf Ashikari, a Half-Elf Sorceror and a Human Cleric. I've recruited Kasalah (lvl 4 Dwarf meatshield Fighter), Zarius (lvl 5 Elf Bard) and Mahmud (lvl 4 Hobbit Thief).
Character creation was quite fun, but I didn't like the city map that much. It's hard to distinguish shops from buidlings that are just scenery, and there was an overabundance of shops with slightly different assortments, but excactly same prices. Might just as well have made the city a menu IMO to save on all the walking back and forth.

Now I have a choice of looking for Father wassisname in the Graveyard or pursue the main quest by retrieving a family heirloom from the thieves in burn out buildings in the south central part of the city. My Cleric didn't get the spell list that deals with undead, so I'm inclined to go for the thives first. Or is the graveyard considered the beginner dungeon? If so I could recruit a cleric with the right spell list.

Zeriel

Arcane
I believe the graveyard is the starter dungeon--I want to say the burnt out building is a little rough for your first encounter, but I may be getting them mixed up. The graveyard is mostly tame until you reach the later section with caves/rats, where there are some nasty spells and traps. Saving often will have you in fine condition, though. There's an LP of this somewhere on the Codex if you want to a sort of semi-guide to the beginning portions.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I believe the graveyard is the starter dungeon--I want to say the burnt out building is a little rough for your first encounter, but I may be getting them mixed up. The graveyard is mostly tame until you reach the later section with caves/rats, where there are some nasty spells and traps. Saving often will have you in fine condition, though. There's an LP of this somewhere on the Codex if you want to a sort of semi-guide to the beginning portions.

Too bad the LP ended after only one play session. :(

I did the graveyard and it was quite easy, even with half my guys either not having missiles weapons or being too slow to see much melee action. The traps were the most dangerous thing in the dungeon.

So far the game seems a tad combat heavy, and I wish I had some more control in combat. It's hard to judge how far you can move without a grid and with such small icons.

The Bard's Silver Tongue spell was extremely useful in getting better store prices and I have now outfitted my party with the best armour they can get, and with the exception of one Elven Longbow, the best weapons they can get. They now feel eager and overconfident.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Does anyone find the encounter rate in this game kind of high? I remember liking this game when I was young, but I've recently tried it and the high rate of battles kind of bothers me, especially since they're tactical battles and not trash mobs.

The battles are not that tactical, at least not compared to the Gold Box games. The high frequency of combats is also annoying, so I'm having problems working up the needed enthusiasm to complete this game.

My Cleric seems to be cursed. He keeps failing all his attempts to get a new spell book and he's the only one being drained by undead.

TigerKnee

Arcane
The battles are not that tactical, at least not compared to the Gold Box games. The high frequency of combats is also annoying, so I'm having problems working up the needed enthusiasm to complete this game.

Yeah, when I said the battles are tactical, I meant in terms of game design, not like... how good they actually are.

Like, Final Fantasy's battle system is extremely untactical because it's 4 people standing in one location and X enemies on the other and you heal and attack until one side is dead.

The point of that sentence was that non-tactical battles like FF may be crap, but they're over very quickly with little effort. AC is kind of annoying because the encounter rate is so high yet it takes a non-trivial effort to get them over.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The game is starting to grow on me, but a few things are still unclear.

How does Forestry and Mountaineering work? Does the character with the lowest skill set the pace, or is it based on an average?

Does Critical Strike only work with Handheld Arms, or also with Bows?
So far Elven Longbows + Rings of Power (10 extra shots) has been my favourite tactic, since I try to conserve mana for the really tough battles. Haven't even rested once so far.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Yeah, when I said the battles are tactical, I meant in terms of game design, not like... how good they actually are.

Like, Final Fantasy's battle system is extremely untactical because it's 4 people standing in one location and X enemies on the other and you heal and attack until one side is dead.

The point of that sentence was that non-tactical battles like FF may be crap, but they're over very quickly with little effort. AC is kind of annoying because the encounter rate is so high yet it takes a non-trivial effort to get them over.

The game does get more tactical on higher levels.
One of my favourite tactics is to have my agile Sorceror cast Aynstyne's Accelerated Action on my slower Paladin, have the Paladin invoke his Sword of Right and insta kill two of the toughest enemies per turn. Works very well in tandem with my Ashikari who has a "sweep" attack and can kill several weaker or wounded enemies per turn.

My Hobbit Thief is like a living machine gun and mowes down all but the biggest monsters in one burst of 15+ shots. He's actually better at archery than Bards, Rangers and Paladins of the same level.

My main beef with the combat is the lack of a grid, and no opportunity attack rules making combat more chaotic than the Gold Box games. Not having full control fits with the simultanous movement in the IE games, but not so much in a pure turn based game.
Still, it's a good game, and the character advancement and looting is very satisfactory.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The game is starting to grow on me, but a few things are still unclear.

Does Critical Strike only work with Handheld Arms, or also with Bows?

OK, found out it only works in melee. With weapons and rings that give extra swings my Thief and Bard with their Deadly Strike skill now can kill several enemies per turn.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Once you're done with the game (I don't care if you complete or drop it), tell me your final thoughts about it and drop some tips, I'm still rather early but if you end up liking it in the end maybe I'll pick it back up.

But seriously the encounter rate HURGHEHUGHUGHGU.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!
I'm at the end of the game with only the last level left. I need two "Half Keys", but I only got the one from the Earth Spirit. The Water Spirit doesn't appear, even if I have the Seal of Water. I've walked through every square of this map and searched the place the Water Spirit is chained, but to no avail.
So near to completion of this game, yet so far away...
:rage:

EDIT: Fortunately I had a save only two battles before I reached the penultimate level. So I reloaded and went for the Water Spirit first. This time he/she/it appeared, and so did the Earth spirit.
So now I have both halves of the key.
Butthurt aborted.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Victory!

q50U83X.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Once you're done with the game (I don't care if you complete or drop it), tell me your final thoughts about it and drop some tips, I'm still rather early but if you end up liking it in the end maybe I'll pick it back up.

But seriously the encounter rate HURGHEHUGHUGHGU.

Give it another go.
The more I played it the more I liked it, as I got better loot and spells, and thus more options in battle.

The game was easier then I had thought. I never had to reload so in practice I played the game Iron Man, although I must admit I used the maps and item info The Unofficial Aethra Pages. I only had four deaths in the whole game - first time I met a Troll Warrior, second time my main character was killed by Dark Elf spell casters, and the last two deaths were against a large group of demons, including several Master Demons. After the fight against the demons the party retreated, trained a level or two, did an optional quest, and returned with a vengeance. I even did the final battles without any casualties or having to reload.
It's too easy to get very high Defence, meaning few enemies can hurt you physically, so only spell casters and demons are a threat.
I never cast any mass damage spells, only used a few wands and a scroll of Mass Domination, mostly relaying on Aynstyne's Accelerated Action I and II, and occasionally Way of the Dragon for my main and buffing spells with my Cleric.
I also didn't use the Deadly Strike ability much, since my Thief had so much higher Bow skill than Handheld Arms skill. Apart from Water Spirits Mahmud (or Machine Gun as I liked to call him) killed any non-boss enemy (including Master Demons) in one burst of arrows.

If I should play the game again I think I would make my main character a Human Paladin and one of the secondaries a Dwarf.
The Paladins and Dwarfs for hire all suffered from low Agility which translated to low Movement, which again means they were always on the fringes of the fighting instead of in the midst of it.
A Paladin is the obviuos role playing choice, but they are also the only one who can use the Sword of Right, which can insta kill any evil (including Elementals and Water Spirits for some reason) enemy in one hit. The downside is that unlike Thieves, Bards and Rogues who insta kill with their Deadly Strike ability, for some reason the Paladin doesn't get more attacks if he killls with his first swing.
A Dwarf is nice to have due to many Dwarf restricted items, most notably the Dwarf Grey Sword.
An Elf is also nice to have, due to the third race restricted Grey Sword. I found the Elf Bard for hire in the first town very useful. His Silver Tongue spell also means you can get much more gear for your starting money.
Unless you want to role play I wouldn't bother with the two characters that offer to join you on specific quests, since they will leave afterwards. And with a full party you will have to dismiss one character to make room for them. Dismissed characters are supposed to return to their guild with their current stats and items intact, but this didn't always work. The game bugged out a few times, and one character disappeared while another was replaced by the starting version of the character.
I'd also hire a Cleric and a Mage instead of creating them, since you can hire character two levels higher than your main. Higher levels means they can cast higher level spells, which is very useful in the beginning.

Overall I think this was an excellent game, and I'd probably be able to squeeze it into my Top 15 CRPGs list.

I really like the Rolemaster system, and character creation and advancement was very good.

The graphics and artwork is surprisingly good for a one geek production, and it looks very nice and crisp even when scaled to 3X.

There's a large selection of items, with magic versions going up to +2. But unlike the Gold Box games, there's lots of special and unique items, many of them class or race restriced.
There is no loot from enemies, but the loot you find in chests seem to be mostly random, so it makes for some replayability, and also for some tough decisions on which characters to keep.
Items like Rings stack, so you can give characters several Speed Rings. Movement rate seems to determine initiative, so you can largely configure in which order your guys act, and it makes for some interesting choices: have the Mage move first and have him cast AAA, or increase the movement of the slow fighter types to make sure they can hit something (and preferably reach a spell caster) in the first round?

Combat was rather boring in the beginning with little choices. There are no penalties from disengaging from melee, no option to "guard" and use your attack on the first enemy that moves into reach and with no grid the game does not really have any concept of "formation" and shielding vulnerable party members. So tactics is a matter of synergy between spell casters and fighters, with the AAA spell being especially effective on your best killer, and the special abilities and items of individual characters.
So my tactic was mostly for my Ashikari to get into the densest area of the combat field and "sweep", "Machine Gun" to first snipe enemy spell casters and then the biggest monsters, my mage to cast AAA1 or 2 and then cower in a corner and for my Paladin to Invoke her Sword of Right and then hit the most dangerous foe within reach.
Mostly with the "boss fights" and some of the demon encounters did I have to use more force.
I never used Transformation or Conjuring spells, so I'm not sure how effective those spells would have been.

To conclude I thought this was a very worthy game, and unless you're a storyfag who don't like combat and dungeon crawling, you owe to yourself to try this game.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Thanks. I'm more on the mondblutian side as far as RPG goes. If I was playing for plot I would play practically every other genre.

Looking at my save file, I think my starting characters were Human Ashikari, Elf Conjurer and Elementalist, so probably not optimal. Hirelings are an Elf bard, Hobbit thief and Dwarf... warrior I think? I'm honestly not sure what their classes are because of the silly "unique class names every level" thing. Not very optimal starting party, I guess.

I like the fact that you make 3 characters and need to get hirelings to fill the slots in this game. Most games do either full party creation (old-skool) or "only main character" (sigh, modern games). Having 3 "core" characters and 3 interchangable cogs is kind of an interesting experiment. I don't think there are any other RPGs that does this.

Damage spells seems to either really suck, or otherwise has a real problem with feedback because you can't tell how much damage you're doing with them.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Looking at my save file, I think my starting characters were Human Ashikari, Elf Conjurer and Elementalist, so probably not optimal. Hirelings are an Elf bard, Hobbit thief and Dwarf... warrior I think? I'm honestly not sure what their classes are because of the silly "unique class names every level" thing. Not very optimal starting party, I guess.

The Elf Bard and Hobbit Thief should be really useful. Just make sure you pump up their Handheld Arms, Bows and Deadly Strike skills. The Elf Bard is an excellent Trader as well. If you give them Power Rings and Elven Longbows they will be hard hitters in the early game, and can snipe enemy spell casters. Later they will get extra swings in melee, and should switch to try to kill more than one enemy per turn.
The Dwarf warrior will be useful if you can increase his movement rate with the right items.
Both a Conjurer and Elemantalist may not be optimal. I'd replace one of them with a Cleric myself. As it is you have no healers, which will hurt. You can always use Potions but they take up precious item spots, of which you never have enough.

Damage spells seems to either really suck, or otherwise has a real problem with feedback because you can't tell how much damage you're doing with them.

Yeah, no feedback was annoying, especially on the "clever" spells that would make characters stunned or unable to use magic. With buffing spells you know they will work. So that's another reason why I prefer Might to Magic in this game.

Lagi

Savant
i just pick it again.Unload both files to one folder>Dosbox>install.

nice things if you turn off the sounds in menu, you will open doors immediately, without delay for sound play :D. also cycles up ctrl+F12, decrease time for animation during lots of trash fights.

at the start i unequip the elven bow (swap for long bow), cause the melee fighters looks pathetic. + every one with bow can snipe without penalties mages, which remove lots of thread from enemy mage casting stuns or dmg spells.

funny think, dead mercenary ask me for his salary when i dismiss him. refuse, I was like: "what for you need money now, you're dead". Then I wonder, why real life mercenary fight for money, they assumed they are better than enemies?
:philosoraptor:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom