Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tasteful Understated Nerdrage/MrBtongue Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This sounds really fucking retarded unless by "the same" you actually mean "western" or something like that.

No, I mean *all* folk music. Trust me ;d I have no idea what *you* are talking about. You are the one talking like a freshman lulz.

I was talking about the "Polishness" (no such thing) of the Witcher 3 and the "Japanese-ness" of Bloodborne (also no such thing). The conclusion is exactly that, culture isn't a monopoly you control because of where you are born. Bloodborne has nothing Japanese in it. What Mr. Btongue says in this video is inane because of that. Diversity (in the definition of political correctness) has nothing to do with whether new ideas and concepts can be formed.

Cadmus

Arcane
Don't be surprised with his political standing, he said Gamergate was the devil a while back if I remember correctly.
Also, I'm quite sure Bloodborne was always meant to be one more game in the -Souls style, so this guy is just producing shitty clickbait at this point (which he used to do before, bur in more subtle way). At least his videos aren't 3 hours long like that other Noah Something-Something fucktard.
He didn't say it was the devil, he said he didn't know what the fuss was about and didn't talk about it anymore.
I get the most pleasure checking Spoony's patreon daily to see how much money he lost, lolol.
This sounds really fucking retarded unless by "the same" you actually mean "western" or something like that.

No, I mean *all* folk music. Trust me ;d I have no idea what *you* are talking about. You are the one talking like a freshman lulz.

I was talking about the "Polishness" (no such thing) of the Witcher 3 and the "Japanese-ness" of Bloodborne (also no such thing). The conclusion is exactly that, culture isn't a monopoly you control because of where you are born. Bloodborne has nothing Japanese in it. What Mr. Btongue says in this video is inane because of that. Diversity (in the definition of political correctness) has nothing to do with whether new ideas and concepts can be formed.
Sorry, my troll detector was broken. My tranny detector is still intact though.

pippin

Also, if you want to pick a japanese videogame to complain about how it has "nothing japanese" on it, Bloodborne seems like a weird choice, especially considering how japanese creators don't export certain productions precisely because they are too japanese and "translating" everything would inevitably make it senseless and void of relevance for the stories and products as they are. I know it happens a lot with manga, for instance.

Neanderthal

Arcane
No offense to anybody who likes these kinda vids, you know Btongue, SuperBunnyhop, Extra Credits and all that stuff, but weren't they always a bit shit? I mean you get some smug bastard who thinks e's cleverer than he is harpin on at you about obvious points, and they never raise interesting ideas or go half as deep into stuff as most of our discussions on this site. Most of what they're saying is same shit you'll find on retarded blogs such as Kotaku or RPS, and rest is fucking blatantly obvious, or bumlickin o first degree.

Lacrymas

Arcane
No offense to anybody who likes these kinda vids, you know Btongue, SuperBunnyhop, Extra Credits and all that stuff, but weren't they always a bit shit? I mean you get some smug bastard who thinks e's cleverer than he is harpin on at you about obvious points, and they never raise interesting ideas or go half as deep into stuff as most of our discussions on this site. Most of what they're saying is same shit you'll find on retarded blogs such as Kotaku or RPS, and rest is fucking blatantly obvious, or bumlickin o first degree.

Mr. Btongue has one quality that put him above the rest - most of the time he isn't speaking from home-brewed philosophemes and he can spot the meaningful critical points of a video game (the Diablo 3 rant, the differences in philosophy between the old vs modern (read: AAA) rpg trends etc.). He often quotes respectable sources (Nietzsche, Coleridge, Shandy, Shakespeare, Tolkien etc.) which is the only way to extract meaning from anything. That way the information he churns out is actually useful. When he's talking from personal experience and drops the critical analytic perspective is the point where it all goes to shit (this video, the one before etc.)

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
(...) Cultural difference is an interesting topic that is somewhat more complex than most people realize.

(...)

Outside of folklore there really isn't much on a cultural (national) basis, art is what makes a culture, not your country's marketplace relationships. We might have specific cases (the USA) where these relationships ARE the culture, but that's pop culture and not a truly meaningful one. Besides, filtering your art through consumerism is what we see in the big publishers in all media. We know it doesn't go anywhere.

Yes, it's good that you've given the complex topic of cultural differences the careful analysis it deserves. Fucking hell.

Anyway, I'm Polish and I certainly do feel that the Witcher games (and novels) are more aligned with my sensibilities than your typical US production; and a lot of Eastern Europeans apparently feel the same, and not because of its supposed use of Slavic folklore. What now?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yes, it's good that you've given the complex topic of cultural differences the careful analysis it deserves. Fucking hell.

Anyway, I'm Polish and I certainly do feel that the Witcher games (and novels) are more aligned with my sensibilities than your typical US production; and a lot of Eastern Europeans apparently feel the same, and not because of its supposed use of Slavic folklore. What now?

Yeah, I said that because it can't be done in a thread post lolol, besides I said it's a worldview based on language and people flipped their shit, I can't imagine what would happen if I go deeper than that. I'm Bulgarian and I feel nothing like what you are describing when playing the Witcher games.

Riskbreaker

No offense to anybody who likes these kinda vids, you know Btongue, SuperBunnyhop, Extra Credits and all that stuff, but weren't they always a bit shit?
They have their uses, they do.
For one, any discussion about them can lure quasi-intellectual nerdy types into revealing themselves for what they really are.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yes, reducing culture to art is much better. Such anthropology, wow.

Meaningful culture is serious art. With all due respect, the songs and stories of shepherds and farmers aren't serious art. Like I said, the marketplace relationships of your country is not culture. Outside of that, what do you propose a nation's culture (that matters) is? Smetana ("the Father of Czech music") used Western melodies in a Western context even in his symphonic poem "My Country" (there is a very distinct Austrian melody in "Vltava"), he thought that everything that comes out of his hand is automatically Czech. He was right because his music is considered Czech, even though there is nothing Czech in it. He didn't even speak Czech until his 36th birthday. There is no folklore, no Czech tradition, no Czech culture in his work, it's all Western and THAT'S why he's relevant and could be considered a serious attempt at a culture.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yes, reducing culture to art is much better. Such anthropology, wow.

Meaningful culture is serious art. With all due respect, the songs and stories of shepherds and farmers aren't serious art. Like I said, the marketplace relationships of your country is not culture. Outside of that, what do you propose a nation's culture (that matters) is? Smetana ("the Father of Czech music") used Western melodies in a Western context even in his symphonic poem "My Country" (there is a very distinct Austrian melody in "Vltava"), he thought that everything that comes out of his hand is automatically Czech. He was right because his music is considered Czech, even though there is nothing Czech in it. He didn't even speak Czech until his 36th birthday. There is no folklore, no Czech tradition, no Czech culture in his work, it's all Western and THAT'S why he's relevant and could be considered a serious attempt at a culture.

I don't know if this is some kind of linguistic misunderstanding, but the most common use of the word "culture" encapsulates the totality of a society's way of life - including shared values and beliefs, a common history, language, customs and sensibilities in all aspects of life, and yes, broadly understood art. Whether any of it universally resonates with other groups of people is irrelevant.

In that sense, Witcher 3 is chock-full of Polish cultural influences, ranging from many major and minor literary references (including very explicit ones like the Forefathers' Eve quest), dwarves and gnomes basically being fantasy Jews (exposing the idiocy of Kwan "critics" who think fantasy racism in the games is analogous to anti-black racism in the US), and even faces of peasants basically looking as if they were made of potato. It's a lot of small stuff that adds up to produce a noticably different vibe than that of something like Dragon Age: Inquisition, which is as stereotypical of a product of modern American sensibilities as you can find in the genre.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't know if this is some kind of linguistic misunderstanding, but the most common use of the word "culture" encapsulates the totality of a society's way of life - including shared values and beliefs, a common history, language, customs and sensibilities in all aspects of life, and yes, broadly understood art. Whether any of it universally resonates with other groups of people is irrelevant.

No, that's A culture. I think that is where the misunderstanding comes from :p. Culture is the cultivation of knowledge, art, morals and closely resembles the German word bildung. It's a quality of the individual, not of a group of people. It's a conscious process which we actively work towards, while a culture is simply the traditions of specific people. Those don't really say or contribute to anything in of themselves. You say that there are some Polish references in the Witcher games, but so what? How are they used in such a context as to be relevant and bring something new to the table that actively matters? Simply quoting/copying myths and songs of folklore means nothing, because they themselves exist in a vacuum bubble (there is no history in tradition and that's why they are always going to be in it). The most extreme example of this is PoE, where they changed the name of everything to some gibberish that can constitute a culture, but the game is the same boring diatribe that almost all modern games are. It really doesn't matter whether it's gibberish or Bulgarian, or Polish, or Namibian, or whatever. It's the way in which you use it to fundamentally change the work that matters (like Bartok). Something that contributes to culture, rather than a culture, I.e. bildung. Though whether you find that important is subjective. That's why I said that culture is the art of a nation, because the sciences and (empirical) knowledge are universal and there can be no nationality attached to them. That's why I tried explaining how culture can be thought of as national with the Smetana example. I know I might come off as schizophrenic, but it's not easy to explain.

Last edited:

pippin

I can only feel sorry for Spoony. It's that other guy who's unbearable. Those intros with the 8 tracks are wayyyy to tryhard, and that's just one thing.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
That latest btongue video was so fucking bad.

"hurr guys we gotta cultivate diversity, we need more diversity in the development teams. i'm not gonna get into the details cause i'm not well versed enough in dis, but i still say we need it! too much whiteness and maleness, boohoo!"

- conveniently leaves out the fact that a game he just praised, Bloodborne, was 100% developed by asian males
- leaves out all of the indies and games like undertale, her story, and life is strange that came out in 2015 and did really well (not saying if any of those are good, just that they exist, and they all won awards and made money)
- keeps showing uncharted despite the fact that rise of the tomb raider is the same thing with a girl

It was always apparent that bobby was secretly pretty pleb. Just look at his earliest videos where he flat out copies RLM lines word for word. He's a really big Mass Effect / Dragon Age fag who occasionally put together a halfway interesting video where he continuously spouts an intelligent sounding word and explains why a game ties into it. Now that he's run out of those to bother with, you're seeing what remains.

sullynathan

Arcane
Codex changes opinions very quickly.

Yeah, this guy turned out to be a self-hating goony beard and I lost most of my respect for "Al Russel" after he deleted his GTA V video due to butthurt that it was "attracting the wrong crowd" too.
What was the GTA V video about? Don't tell me it was complaints about it being too vulgar or something like that.

Murk

Arcane
now that he sold out maybe he can buy a decent fucking microphone for a change

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still like his earlier videos for the most part, but he's gone full retard with this one. I feel the same way about Campster, his earlier stuff is pretty good but at some point he stopped focusing on things like gameplay and instead focused on social commentary.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Campster's Fallout 4 video was actually pretty decent. Somebody's got to hold the idiot ball, I guess.

It's a pretty shitty video, to be honest. I'm all for some self-flagellation but he goes overboard with his "white cis-male" insecurity.
"OMG HOW MANY CD PROJEKTS WE TURNED AWAY BY SHOWING RAPE??" - zero, my friend. They like tits because they are straight males, you fucktard.
He confuses cultural diversity with some retarded gender politics which I wouldn't expect from him because he seems like a smart guy. His second point about "offensiveness" of some things and the repeated clips of showing the locked up princesses are outright retarded. Bleeh, totally spoiled my morning.

On one hand, there aren't enough niggers/handicapped/trannies/fags in either Bloodborne or Witcher 3 nor would it really be enough with a token amount -- only complete nigtransfagicappization could diversify these two games to acceptable levels. On the other hand, the dedicated asian and white people respectively who are behind these games are taking away jobs from niggers/handicapped/trannies/fags and should be forcefully ejected out of the industry in favor of our oppressed minorities. Yet, at the same time, these games testify to the righteous strength of diversity and make it obvious that by diversifying the games industry we will have more room for these masterpieces in gaming.

Also, if you want to pick a japanese videogame to complain about how it has "nothing japanese" on it, Bloodborne seems like a weird choice, especially considering how japanese creators don't export certain productions precisely because they are too japanese and "translating" everything would inevitably make it senseless and void of relevance for the stories and products as they are. I know it happens a lot with manga, for instance.

I seem to remember dev interviews for Demon's Souls where the game's lore was made out as a homage to Medieval European settings. So the pattern is Western settings through Japanazi looking glass, making them primarily jappy, sort of like ninja movies made by white guys are just shitty western action movies with katanas.

Rabbid

Savant
The butthurt in the last couple pages is hilarious. Sure, this video marks a low point for his channel, but not because he "betrayed" the principles his followers hold sacred (just like when he briefly addressed gg). The video is poor because it's a forced attempt to speak about an issue. All these passive-aggressive references to himself and the fact that he kept repeating he HAD to make a video about diversity, point out how forced this whole episode was. He consumes a lot of time and energy trying to justify his "alien" topic (the irony here) and forgets to construct a solid argument.

Given the above, it's no surprise that the end result is a mess as he mixes up a lot of stuff and ends up making no sense whatsoever. The comment this Al Russel guy made on yt is more coherent than the video itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom