Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Takedown: Red Sabre, aka "Hardcore Tactical Shooter"

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I'm really looking forward to the PS3 version.

Seriously, though, it's been seven years since SWAT 4 and the only company that is even trying nowadays is Bohemia who seem to have completely lost their understanding on how to make a good single-player campaign. This genre would need some new blood. Too bad this project is a total mess.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Kwanzanian big-name KKKonsole developer - Takedown: 91583$/200000$ (45,79%)
2 shangai dudes doing PC niche roguelike - FTL: 159787$/10000$ (1597,87%)

Problem, Hardcore Tactical Shooter fans? :smug:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm really looking forward to the PS3 version.

Seriously, though, it's been seven years since SWAT 4 and the only company that is even trying nowadays is Bohemia who seem to have completely lost their understanding on how to make a good single-player campaign. This genre would need some new blood. Too bad this project is a total mess.

That reminds me. I just re-downloaded SWAT 3 from GOG. Time to give this bad boy a go later. Some of the missions are just timeless, like the hostage rescue operation located in a bungalow.

Stabwound

Arcane
you can tell they are two different pictures pay attention to shadow details muscle formation, knee pads and the glasses .
That's from one of the administrators? :lol:

I cannot into Photoshop so this isn't perfectly aligned, but look at this. Yeah, it's totally a fresh piece of art and not photoshopped. :smug:

zifSy.gif

udm

Arcane
Patron
It appears that the idiot whom they commissioned got really lazy, and decided to just throw in a few filters, change the hue, saturation and colour balances and thought he could get away with it. I'd be less appalled, and even supportive towards the project, if Christian Allen had just made an apology on behalf of the "artist" and removed the concept art. To have this sort of embarrassment pointed out and still continue to defend it, well this is just disrespectful.

(this still applies even if it wasn't a Photoshop job)

Cassidy

Arcane
Seriously, the people behind Halo:Reach claiming they can pull a TACTICAL shooter? And one with 3rd/1st person view interchangeable and multiplatform?

Don't they have any honor or shame?

MetalCraze

Arcane
The main problem here is that the dude worked on shit games.

I mean do you really believe that a dev of Halo Reach can do a "hardcore tactical shooter" that isn't Rainbow 6 Veg-ass?

People don't donate to his kickstarter not because he has nothing to show - that didn't stop sheeple from donating to Stoic and InXile after all - but because saying that you are behind the fucking Halo doesn't really help catering to people who want good games.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hopefully it's failure, despise the new shinny pro video and "concept art", will slow down the hype and ammount of dumb projects jumping the kickstarter bandwagon.

Angthoron

Arcane
It appears that the idiot whom they commissioned got really lazy, and decided to just throw in a few filters, change the hue, saturation and colour balances and thought he could get away with it. I'd be less appalled, and even supportive towards the project, if Christian Allen had just made an apology on behalf of the "artist" and removed the concept art. To have this sort of embarrassment pointed out and still continue to defend it, well this is just disrespectful.

(this still applies even if it wasn't a Photoshop job)
Oh so this is even better, not only are they going BioWare school of design, they're also adopting Dogma7's approach to public relations? (1000AD is still free - give it a try! :M)

udm

Arcane
Patron
How is cancelling done in Kickstarter anyway?

You go to Manage Pledge, then scroll all the way to the bottom and there you'll see 'Cancel my pledge'.

There are 2617 backers now. It'd be funny if this number drops after tonight.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
The main problem here is that the dude worked on shit games.

I mean do you really believe that a dev of Halo Reach can do a "hardcore tactical shooter" that isn't Rainbow 6 Veg-ass?

People don't donate to his kickstarter not because he has nothing to show - that didn't stop sheeple from donating to Stoic and InXile after all - but because saying that you are behind the fucking Halo doesn't really help catering to people who want good games.

Neither should saying you were behind The Old Republic, but that hasn't stopped donations from pouring in. In fact, both InXile and Stoic have managed to overcome rather shitty track records (though in InXile's case, not as much, since Fargo does have some very good games on his pre-InXile resume).

I think it has more to do with the fact that he's getting funds not to make the game, but to present it to investors (watch as the pledges evaporate into thin air with nothing to show), the fact that he hasn't really put anything on the table to show there's anything but a very basic idea here, the rather unprofessional and immature tone that has permeated this Kickstarter campaign, and the fact that an inherently low budget Kickstarter project format does not lend itself well to an FPS of this sort.

With something like Wasteland 2, there's plenty that could set it apart from preexisting games, even at a low budget. This game, not so much. I don't see a compelling reason why I should want to play his game, not an ARMA game or one of the earlier Rainbow 6 games (nothing past Raven Shield), even if it existed and turned out not to be shit.

Angthoron

Arcane
How is cancelling done in Kickstarter anyway?

You go to Manage Pledge, then scroll all the way to the bottom and there you'll see 'Cancel my pledge'.

There are 2617 backers now. It'd be funny if this number drops after tonight.
Thanks, they just lost my pledge. I did like the idea of a tactical shooter like R6 but fuck these guys.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Neither should saying you were behind The Old Republic, but that hasn't stopped donations from pouring in. In fact, both InXile and Stoic have managed to overcome rather shitty track records (though in InXile's case, not as much, since Fargo does have some very good games on his pre-InXile resume).
It has to do more with them saying it's RPG. What is RPG? It's a shitty action game with romances and animated prositution mods. And that's exactly what people expect from Fargo. His track record is thus promising. Same goes for Stoic who are ex-Bioware devs - don't forget they already said it will be like Final Fantasy Tactics.

Now with "hardcore tactical shooter" it's different. People who play them are usually grown ups who don't understand shit like pixels on the screen having a mental breakdown because somebody took a candy from them 10 years ago.
They expect a game that is a game. Where they and their bros can gather and do some serious tactical gaming without the bullshit.

But for the past decade Halo is a term synonimous with the teenage shit. When you think Halo you think 12 years old fat retards screaming "FAGGOT!!!1" into a mic. And they do it because that's what Halo is all about.

I totally believe a Halo dev knows how to make a good serious tactical game.

Imagine Pete Hines starting a kickstarter for a tactical turn-based strategy.

I don't see a compelling reason why I should want to play his game, not an ARMA game or one of the earlier Rainbow 6 games (nothing past Raven Shield), even if it existed and turned out not to be shit.

That's exactly what I mean.
However if his track record was that of Spanel bros - you totally would.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The guy behind the project, Christian Allen, get his ass kicked in the comment section, plays holier-than-thou and then gets kicked again and leaves:

http://kotaku.com/5896568/i-messed-...er-now-im-fixing-it?comment=48311068#comments

This guy is really a sad mistake, he is one of those guys that blindly believes he has perfect track records and perfect ideas, and is doing everything right, so he is "entitled to succeed", and if he fails is because the world is unfair...even if he somehow manages the get the money his game will probably be just like the kickstarter project, "perfect ideas done right", but a shitty game nonetheless.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
He should apply for a job at bioware. They could start a sitcom, the way lulz keep coming from them.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I actually start to feel a genuine pity for the dude.
Halo Reach and GRAW lead designer shitting on consoletards doesn't really do what he hopes it should do.

Having designed two crappy games, one of which shits on the same thing he is promising to make - it's all coming in a very hypocritical way from him.

Seriously if you want to poke consoletard shooters with a stick while promoting your serious PC shooter - you need to do it tongue in cheek AND have a perfect game record or at least 1 game in the target genre backing up your street cred.
Like Bohemia dudes do.

udm

Arcane
Patron
On the sidenote, I heard about this project on retardoland RPS forums, called Intruder. TBH it looks very promising, and is worth checking out if you're disappointed with how Serellan's handling their KS project and really need a new hardcore tac shooter to look forward to.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Someone on the Serellan forums also conducted a bit of investigative work:

7016960599_bf8afd1e26_c.jpg

031611swat10.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom