Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Takedown: Red Sabre, aka "Hardcore Tactical Shooter"

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Anyone got the URL to the Kickstarter ? Also, kudos for this thread fitting nicely into our "FPS" forum. And finally - after we crowdsource the 1000$, we should have Skyway video call the dev's on our behalf.

But seriously, I really don't care enough about this project.
I can already see this glorious vision in my eyes... How the devs finally realize Skyway is communicating in morse code (all he says is banal shit boring) that he promises to play the game seven times.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Anyone got the URL to the Kickstarter ? Also, kudos for this thread fitting nicely into our "FPS" forum. And finally - after we crowdsource the 1000$, we should have Skyway video call the dev's on our behalf.

But seriously, I really don't care enough about this project.
I can already see this glorious vision in my eyes... How the devs finally realize Skyway is communicating in morse code (all he says is banal shit boring) that he promises to play the game seven times.

Skyway has a very sonorous voice, actually.
BREAKING CHARACTER CONTINUITY!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fuck this guy for muddying the crowdsource waters with his "Give me money so I can get a real publisher interested!...maybe" bullshit.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
All bros going on about 'the horde' etc., you should know that the crowdsourcing thing has been in use by p&p RPG twats for a while now - yes, including by comparatively well known figures like Gareth M Sharka and the peeps who publish Hellas - and there's still plenty of money to go around, despite being a much smaller market and having far fewer venues to report on these things.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Robin Laws setting up a Kickstarter to fund his next lunch. Donate $5 and you get input on what condiments he puts on his sandwich.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
we shd do a kickstarter for a codexian dating game. hire some artist or some shit to draw it. I recommend Tessera.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
A shootah with a $200k budget?

Riiiight.

Actually, nowhere in the Kickstarter page does it say they intend to make the game for 200,000. That sum is just so they can present to publishers that there is an 'interest' in this game.

The whole project is so poorly thought out that it makes me wonder whether it's a plant from Microsoft/game publishers/the illuminati to encourage people to stop supporting crowd funded games.

Phelot

Arcane
Bungie needs to stop fucking around and tell Alex Seropian to give up making Mac games, find Greg Kirkpatrick, and make some mother fucking Marathon 4 and Myth RPG. DO IT.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Kickstarter shit is a new pyramid scheme to quickly and easily get money out of people.
Whereas when working for a publisher a dev is bound by a contract and has to finish the game - here they can just take your moneys and do whatever the fuck they want with them. With Kickstarter people pay for nothing but a promise. There's not even an alpha version, let alone the game concept. Give us money now for the game we didn't even begin to design yet.

That's why more and more devs quickly jump onto this bandwagon - while it isn't legally limited yet.
It's actually a next logical step after Mount & Blade where people paid for nothing but a promise - and in the end the final version of Mount & Blade only had mocap and bumpmapping compared to alpha. But at least it had alpha to begin with.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Yeah, this kind of thing is basically illegal (and/or obscenely hard to set up) in the Kwa. Ukanistan only just got Crowdcube going.
Investing is illegal?

I remember several years ago, the Codex used to discuss crowd funding RPGs. Always the consensus was it was too difficult and there would be legal issues.

Anyhow, its one thing to drop $50-$100 on a game. But expecting people to drop thousands of dollars and getting nothing of value in return? You have to admit, its a bit strange.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
A deserving fail.
  • Popamole developer.
  • And of course we aren’t talking about an adventure game here; we are talking a hardcore tactical shooter. And I’m pretty sure these fans are bigger, stronger, and have guns- and hopefully more money. - oh I guess you were proven wrong huh.
  • Self-centric. Not only does he put his own name in the company name, but he's the only developer presented. Double Fine basically had a studio tour and Fargo is very open about the team he's putting together (and that kickstarter haven't even started yet). Even "true" indie projects on kickstarter show more than just the lead designer's credentials.

Groof

Educated
Self-centric. Not only does he put his own name in the company name, but he's the only developer presented. Double Fine basically had a studio tour and Fargo is very open about the team he's putting together (and that kickstarter haven't even started yet). Even "true" indie projects on kickstarter show more than just the lead designer's credentials.

While we can't name names due to contract negotiations, we have veterans from:

Bungie
Microsoft
Monolith
Surreal
Red Storm
Wargamer
Ubisoft
Snowblind

Games they've worked on include:

Rainbow Six, Rainbow Six Rogue Spear,
Ghost Recon PC, Desert Siege, Island Thunder, GR2: Summit Strike
World of Tanks
F.E.A.R.
Condemned
Condemned 2
Drakan
Age of Empires Online
Marathon
Halo 1, 2, 3, Reach, 4
The Suffering
The Suffering 2
Gotham City Imposters
Lord of the Rings: War in the North

MCA
I read through the page. Lots of fluff about hardcore shooters. Not a bit of actual information. Are they developing a MW# MP clone? A contemporary Enemy Territory analogue with classes and objective based gameplays? Will objectives be standard simplistic crap like in MP or any number of things of any level of complexity as were the case in RTwP/W:ET? Will it have popamole cover? Will it come with an SDK? Will users be able to create their own maps or gametypes? What?

"We're industry veterans. Trust me, we know our shit, so let's see those monies now"

TEHEE

Yeah, hardcore tactical shooter means jack shit these days. Double Fine is making a type of game that hasn't been made in a long time, and hasn't been made well in an even longer time. OTOH every fucking FPS calls itself a hardcore tactical shooter. I'm pretty sure half the reviews for ME3 mentioned those words.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I have no idea what a hardcore tactical shooter is and the page doesn't explain it.

It kind of sounds like a meaningless buzzword, but I could be wrong on that.

Groof

Educated
It's pretty clear that he's going for something kind of like (early) Rainbow Six. Games like that are often called tactical shooters.

Castanova

Prophet
As much as I loved the original Rainbow Six, I can semi-scratch the itch by playing multiplayer in something like BF3 or Counterstrike. I don't see enough people opening their wallets for something like this unless someone with a real industry reputation was putting it together.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom