Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock Infinite - SS2 reimagining inspired by BioShock Infinite

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Have you ever thought there was not enough shooting in System Shock 2?
Have you ever thought you needed a companion to accompany you skulking through the corridors of the Von Braun?
Have you ever thought that System Shock 2 didn't have enough time travel and parallel universes?

System Shock 2 gets the fan sequel it doesn't deserve.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/system-shock-infinite

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Man, fuck System Shock Infinite.

First, it kills any atmosphere by adding a ghostly side-kick/love interest that appears every 5 seconds to shout some baldy voiced fake french accent nonsense ("we must find a way to stop SHODAN, mon ami"). Not happy with that, enemies are level scaled. Expect zombies mid-game to one-shot you even when wearing armor, unless you boost endurance. Then it completely fucks resource management and the combat by making enemies immune to most weapons. Turrets, robots and cameras can only be destroyed by energy weapons, monkeys only by psi blasts and mid-wifes only by fucking explosives! Want to fire a grenade at turrets or use the laser rapier on zombies? TOO BAD. Also, they removed the cross-hair in favor of auto-aim, cause fuck you.

I downloaded it because I was interested in the scenes on the trailed where you use time tears to save the crew of the Von Braun (yeah, don't ask), but it's really just the original campaign with 1% new stuff (besides the companion). I'm in the middle of the Hydroponics level and still haven't seen anything new worthwhile, like the scenes in the trailer where you fight besides the crew members.

Also, they added Bioshock's "morality", where you find a past copy of yourself and can hack it to gain knowledge to save crew members, or salvage it to gain upgrade modules. Our choices lead to various good & bad endings.

In the end, I'm not sure if the mod is absolute shit, or if it succeeds perfectly at its goal of making a System Shock meets Bioshock: Infinite experience. :?

voodoo47

Learned
no, it's a re-imaging (same place, same time, things happening differently). the dev topic is here.

xdiesp

Barely Literate
Dev here!

The big news of System Shock Infinite 2.0, is the map pack set in Cyberspace. 10 levels, broken in 20 segments.
It's as big as half the Von Braun, but its speed and gameplay make it a matter of ~1 hour of playtime alongside the ~8 average playthrough.

Voodoo47: it used to be called a "second quest", but didn't make justice to the fact it continues after the ending of SS2. I looked up "community sequel" but the name was already taken, so I settled for a humble "sequel".

Luzur

Good Sir
Meh, looks like shiesse, i would rather just have had a working companion then all this story crap.

Perkel

Arcane
my opinion:

shitstream.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Bioshock Infinite ? Protoreality ? Itz a PARADOX ? "Time is running out, mon petit" ?

:neveraskedforthis:

I didn't ask for this.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Those soulessly spoken lines of dialogs I heard in the trailer (the whole 2 minutes I could stand) sounded pretty much like "I don't really want to do this but my boyfriend is forcing me to".

No, never. In fact, the scarcity of ammunition and the constant need to evade combat where possible made gameplay in SS2 much more interesting than it would be otherwise.

Have you ever thought you needed a companion to accompany you skulking through the corridors of the Von Braun?

No, never. This is absolute bullshit and completely retarded. The whole atmosphere of the game thrives on the feeling of being a lone survivor without even a chance of help by other humans.

Have you ever thought that System Shock 2 didn't have enough time travel and parallel universes?

To retarded to answer.

System Shock 2 gets the fan sequel it doesn't deserve.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/system-shock-infinite

:flamesaw:

DraQ

Arcane
No, never. In fact, the scarcity of ammunition and the constant need to evade combat where possible made gameplay in SS2 much more interesting than it would be otherwise.
SS2 might have a bit too much wrench action but the amount of shooting is just about right.

No, never. This is absolute bullshit and completely retarded. The whole atmosphere of the game thrives on the feeling of being a lone survivor without even a chance of help by other humans.
Was done for a reason too.

To retarded to answer.
Depends - would it fix the primary data loop plot hole somehow?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
It always surprises me how people who are smart enough to appreciate underrated quality games spend countless hours proving how they didn't understand why said game was great in the first place. It's a collision of quality and shit. It's like that video of that mod that turned Duke Nukem 3D into a RPG featuring Bubsy. It's not supposed to happen. It's nonsense hurled at perfection. My brain cannot process it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Is it the mode with bizarre and pointless mechanical derp like some damage types not affecting some enemy types randomly and without making much sense?

Yes.
Few posts above Felipepe mention it.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
My inner furfag morbid curiosity demands to have a look at this.

You made me dig up my youtube history, but I had to share it (although I saw it originally in another thread here)

It's long but it's worth it. Like my dick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom