Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Athelas

Arcane
A Bioware Level Designer.

:hmmm:

Level design is what I find the most detestable about Bioware's games.
Don't worry, he wasn't actually a level designer at Bioware: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/james-henley/credits/developerId,179402/

Game Credits (By Role)
Design
Mass Effect (2012) (Cinematics Designers)
Star Wars: The Old Republic (2011) (World Design)
Dragon Age: Origins (2009) (Additional Design)
Jade Empire: Special Edition (2007) (Cinematics Designers)
Mass Effect (2007) (Cinematics Designers)
Jade Empire (Limited Edition) (2005) (Cinematics Designers)

Video/Cinematics
Jade Empire (2005) (Cinematics Designers)

:troll:

:deadtroll:

Latelistener

Arcane
Don't worry, he wasn't actually a level designer at Bioware: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/james-henley/credits/developerId,179402/

Game Credits (By Role)
Design

Video/Cinematics
QONVIyz.gif

tormund

Arcane
A Bioware Level Designer.

:hmmm:

Level design is what I find the most detestable about Bioware's games.

Game Credits (By Role)
Design

Video/Cinematics

:troll:

Yup, that's a Level Design Lead material for a System Shock game right there, men.:negative:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
He has level design credits according to his LinkedIn:

Star Wars: The Old Republic

* Worked as part of a small team to design the blockout versions of most (launch) planets in the game
* Coordinated with artists to bring several planets from blockout to ship quality
* Acted as an embedded designer on the live team, developing fixes for characters during live alpha/beta phases, gathering metrics, analyzing trends, and providing support for our overseas CSRs before they had a functional knowledge base built up
* Developed the G4-B3 Heavy Fabricator boss/puzzle in the "Karaaga's Palace" Operation
* Designed and implemented gameplay content for all daily quests in Corellia's "Black Hole" zone
* Early tools development feedback and drafting
* Quest content development, iteration, and polish throughout the course of development

Skylanders: SWAP Force

* Initial level design drafts and thematic designs for final mission area
* Developed and polished SWAP Zone content for Fly, Speed, and Sneak zones

I manage level design reviews, best practices, and content creation for Steam Bandits: Outpost, currently in Early Access on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/261350/

It really doesn't give any confidence.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
IIRC, the only planned additions to System Shock in terms of level design are more groves, which are the most basic levels in the entire game.

With that in mind I don't see the problem. You can't fuck up a grove.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i hope they make the SS remake turn-based
It's not going to be turn-based, as you can already try the demo and see how it is.

Though, a turn-based SS spin-off might be something that you can pitch to Warren Specter on the Otherside Austin team that's doing SS3 right now.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I just hope this builds upon what made the real System Shock games good, and doesn't dumb things down and simplify things like most modern games. I kickstarted it because I think it has a good chance of being true to the originals because Bioshock has already done the dumbed down version of System Shock so there would no need to do it again. Also it is more of a remake than a sequel so I assume it will be pretty faithful to the first game. I hope it is successful so they can do it with SS2 and then maybe make a new game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
NDS renewed their company website: http://www.nightdivestudios.com/

The main page indicates SS reboot is coming in 2018 instead of late 2017.

Nightdive Studios is an independent developer and publisher of classic videogames. Established in 2012, the company now publishes 100 titles across multiple digital platforms. Most recently the company launched a highly successful Kickstater campaign for its next title, a reboot of the classic game System Shock. Nightdive Studios has established an unparalleled reputation for quality and gathered a loyal fanbase.

ABOUT US

Building on each success, Nightdive Studios has extended its capabilities. Beginning exclusively as a classic game publisher, we have grown to include game restoration and enhancements (The Original Strife:Veteran Edition) to porting and development (Turok) until now we are a full-fledged PC and multi-platform console development studio (System Shock). We have also expanded our portfolio to include original games that have been created in the classic style (Spirits of Xanadu).Nightdive Studios partners with the premier gaming companies, a list that includes: Steam, GOG.com, Humble Bundle, Microsoft and SONY.

WHAT WE DO
Nightdive Studios develops original and innovative games with a strong emphasis on fun and rewarding experiences. We also specialize in finding classic, abandoned and forgotten PC games and bringing them back into the hands of gamers.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well, they've seemingly changed the engine to Unreal 4 from Unity. Maybe they've reflected the time to make that transition.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1693790

October 2016 Update
Posted by Jason Fader

Hi everyone! Jason here with this month’s update. In the future, we’re going to have other folks on the team write updates since it shouldn't be just me having all of the “fun” :-p

Project Update
Things are progressing along quite nicely so far. We’re currently about 30% through preproduction with most of our lead team assembled and are working on documentation and proving out our pipelines. This is typically the least fun phase of game development since it’s a lot of meetings and documentation, but it’s also one of the most important phases since it lays the foundation for the rest of the project.

One of the most interesting aspects of this phase is that we’ve been meeting with some of the original devs from System Shock 1 like Austin Grossman, Dorian Hart, and Paul Neurath. The goal is to sync up as much as possible with the original devs to understand what Shock meant to them, get as many details as possible about pretty much everything, and determine what they would have liked to do back then if they had today’s tech. We’re striving to do this brand justice, and that starts with the amazing folks that created it.

Q&A
Every month, we’ll compile some questions we’ve been seeing in the community and answer them as best as we can here.

Q: When will we be able to donate via Paypal?

A: We have all of our legal stuff sorted out for it, but still need to wire things up on the website and Backerkit. We’ll probably have a bulk of it finished early next month, but probably won’t bring it live until January since it will be easier for us to start it in a new tax year.

Q: Where are the forums?

A: I’ll talk about that below :)

Q: When can we expect our SS1 and 2 steam keys for our backer reward?

A: Daniel should be sending those out within the next few days. Keep an eye on your email address that you used to back our campaign.

Q: Can backers that missed the Discord invite still get an invite to the developer Discord server?

A: Yup! We’ll have invite codes in our forums once they’re up.

Concept Art
I don’t know about all of you, but I definitely prefer pictures to words in Kickstarter updates. Here are a few concepts from the mind of Robb Waters of characters you’ll find in the game:

1e91babcf1c555528389dfadb49f7c08_original.jpg

Cyborg Assassin

df3c127b0fae59ec36c308e6597c91fd_original.jpg

Mutant Cyborg
Website and Forums
We are happy to announce that the Nightdive Studios website is up and running! Head on over to http://www.NightdiveStudios.com to check it out! On top of that, our forums are now live, but still under construction. You can register for an account and start posting/replying, but keep in mind we’re still figuring out the best way to arrange everything. When you sign up on the forums, please use your email address that you used to back our Kickstarter so we can award you the proper forum badges (that will happen in a few weeks).

Shout Outs
d9131a515709c3ef9e85ec357c030e0a_original.png

This month’s shout out goes to Wasteland 3! If you haven’t heard of the Wasteland series, it’s definitely worth checking out. As most of you know, I’ve worked on Fallout, which was originally based on Wasteland. The awesome folks at inXile are back with a Wasteland 3 crowdfunding campaign through Fig and have already been funded.

Here’s what you can expect in this sequel:

• Party-based role playing.
  • Focus on complex story reactivity and strategic combat.
  • An evolution of the Wasteland 2 combat system including vehicles, environmental dangers, and a more fluid action system.
  • Story-driven co-op. (my personal favorite feature)
If you’re interested in learning more, head on over to their campaign here:https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/

- Jason Fader, Game Director on System Shock

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
November update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1740917

Hi everybody! Before getting into updates, as I mentioned before, we sent out System Shock 1 and 2 keys to folks that backed the qualifying tiers. If you didn’t get your keys, please send us a message.

Project Update

The biggest news is that we’ve officially started Vertical Slice and will have some awesome stuff to show in the coming months. The purpose of VS (vertical slice) is mainly to answer questions. Often times on a game project, devs don’t actually know how long something will take to create. VS is a phase where a slice of the game is created with a few goals in mind:
  • How long will it take to create content?
  • What should the final visuals look like?
  • How should final gameplay feel?
Basically, VS lets us prove out our pipelines and narrow down how the game should and shouldn’t play. By the end of VS, we’ll have a better understanding of what we can achieve with the time/budget we have, and have a more accurate plan moving forward to create a quality game.

Q&A

Every month, we’ll compile some questions we’ve been seeing in the community and answer them as best as we can here.

Q: Can I upgrade my backer level?

A: Yup, once we have backerkit wired up and deployed.

Q: Will you be adding paypal funding?

A: This should be supported through backerkit.

Q: What will you be releasing System Shock on?

A: Our goal is to launch on PC/Mac/Linux/XboxOne/PS4 by Q2 of 2018. Not sure if it will be a simultaneous launch, but we’ll do our best.

Concept Art

This month we’re showing off an amazing concept piece by our art director, Robb Waters, depicting a section of the medical deck.

1aaae41d5983fcf1c9d9853620d05932_original.jpg

Open Positions

As we prepare for entering production, we have a few openings on the team that we’re looking to fill soon. If you, or someone you know, is qualified for any of the positions below, please apply!
  • Lead Animator
  • Environment Concept Artist
http://www.nightdivestudios.com/careers/

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
System Shock 1 Remake is the next No Man's Sky.
Except that SS1 remake has a demo, is a kickstarter (unlike No Man's Sky), and doesn't really have any expectations as there weren't really any promises other than it being a remake.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
What would you like that SS1 remake would add which was not in original in terms of gameplay, levels, narration... ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom