Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Syndicate-likes

snoek

Cipher
I kind of missed out on syndicate 1 & 2, just looked up a couple of videos & will give it a spin myself :D god i love the 'dex

A user named cat

Zeus said:
3wXVR.jpg
Not sure if you shopped this yourself, or what point it's even trying to make. Butcher Bay was pretty awesome and Diesel apparently knows his games, not sure what the problem would be with him doing work on it.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
snoek said:
I kind of missed out on syndicate 1 & 2, just looked up a couple of videos & will give it a spin myself :D god i love the 'dex

You're in for a treat. Those are really excellent games. Goddamn, Molyneux, what the hell happened??!?!

Zeus

Cipher
Phantasmal said:
Not sure if you shopped this yourself, or what point it's even trying to make. Butcher Bay was pretty awesome and Diesel apparently knows his games, not sure what the problem would be with him doing work on it.

Yeah, Wheelman was great. :roll:

Bullfrog was a developer with a unique vision, one of the alltime PC greats, and to hand such a beloved and singular series over to a development team known only for their console FPS games starring Vin-freaking-Diesel is more than a bit concerning. It's like giving Cliff Bleszinski the right to remake <insert favorite RPG series here>. It's the equivalent of a dumb jock beating you up and giving you a swirlie and taking your lunch money.

And yes, I made the image. And I had a lot of fun doing it. :D

A user named cat

You seem to be under the assumption that this new Syndicate will be a Vin Diesel hollywood project, or that Starbreeze has done more than one Diesel-centered console FPS. Wheelman wasn't made by them either.

The Darkness
Enclave

Hardly some typical, dumbed down games from an uncreative developer.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Trithne said:
Have there been any games recently, or even semi-recently, by which I mean more recent than 1995 or so, in the vein of Syndicate/Wars and other games like it?
gender wars, though it's from 96.
the crusader games could be considered distant cousins of syndicate as well.
Phantasmal said:
enclave was pretty awesome.

Zeus

Cipher
Phantasmal said:
You seem to be under the assumption that this new Syndicate will be a Vin Diesel hollywood project, or that Starbreeze has done more than one Diesel-centered console FPS. Wheelman wasn't made by them either.

The Darkness
Enclave

Hardly some typical, dumbed down games from an uncreative developer.

Wow they did The Darkness? Holy shit, I take it back. They should give 'em the X-Com franchise while they're at it, those guys are totally qualified to remake classic PC strategy games. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

And they have done more than one Vin Diesel game. Their last project was Assault on Dark Athena. It was just such a halfassed sequel they had to throw in Butcher Bay for free.

As a Starbreeze fanboy, you should already know this.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Zeus said:
And they have done more than one Vin Diesel game. Their last project was Assault on Dark Athena. It was just so bad they had to throw in Butcher Bay for free to get anyone to buy it.
No, it was planned as a remake of EfBB with new graphics (pretty stupid idea, the game still looks good) and only then they decided to create a new campaign as an addition.

Zeus

Cipher
Jim Cojones said:
No, it was planned as a remake of EfBB with new graphics (pretty stupid idea, the game still looks good) and only then they decided to create a new campaign as an addition.

Is Assault on Dark Athena a sequel with Butcher Bay as bonus content, or just the bonus content of a Butcher Bay remake?

Well, the title alone should tip you off, but let's check around.

Wikipedia:

The game is a sequel to The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, which has been remade and has been included along with the Assault on Dark Athena campaign.

IGN:

The sequel, however, comes off as a poor imitation. It's far more frustrating and seems more shooter than anything else. It's not a terrible game for a sequel, but it's inferior to Butcher Bay.

Gamespot:

A remade classic and a passable sequel meet in this fun but inconsistent package... Dark Athena, Butcher Bay's sequel. It is a serviceable follow-up, but it's positively limp when compared to its superb predecessor, monotonously falling into a rut of predictability that the original always avoided.

Maybe the publisher can shed some light on the subject. They'd certainly know whether Dark Athena is a sequel or not.

GameCyte:

That's right -- Dark Athena is not a remake of 2004's brilliant Escape from Butcher Bay... And as it turns out, Atari marketing materials reflect this fact as well. At the bottom of a fact sheet GameCyte acquired this morning, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is listed as "Bonus Material" that just happens to be included with the game:

Aw, what the hell do publishers know? Let's hear from someone who actually worked on the game.

PX360: Can you please introduce yourself and give us a brief pitch on Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena?

Ian Stevens: My name is Ian Stevens and I’m the Head of Game Production at Tigon Studios, formerly Lead Designer at Starbreeze. Assault on Dark Athena is our follow-up to Escape from Butcher Bay (arguably the best movie-based game ever and an Xbox classic). Dark Athena is due out in April for the Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3 and PC.

Yeah.

It's fairly common to pack in prequels to hype a new release. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time had the original Prince of Persia 1 and 2 on the disc--but that doesn't mean it wasn't a new game in the series.

Either way, newsflash: repeatedly releasing Vin Diesel FPS games on console does not qualify you to remake Syndicate.

A user named cat

You're overrating the hell out of the Syndicate games, they shouldn't even be mentioned with X-Com. They were good for what they were, but stop going overboard.

All I've shown so far to you is that Starbreeze are capable of making good games, which they have so far. They don't exactly have a huge resume so who knows how this will turn out, why not just wait and see instead of being a Skyway? If it doesn't work out, you'll always have the originals to play.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Zeus said:
Is Assault on Dark Athena a sequel with Butcher Bay as bonus content, or just the bonus content of a Butcher Bay remake?
Can you read? I've never claimed the remake hasn't ended as a bonus content. You have stated that they have made a new game which was so bad that they decided to add EfBB to sell it. It is bullshit because the idea of creating a remake came first. Even one of the articles you are citing is titled "Riddick: Dark Athena is Remake No More". Dumbfuck.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Your a skyway. No you.

Anyways yes good games all around in different ways at least for me.

Zeus

Cipher
Jim Cojones said:
Can you read?

If you're going to make accusations of illiteracy, you might want to work on sentences like these:

Jim Cojones said:
I've never claimed remake ended as a bonus content.

I'm not sure what form of broken English you're typing, so I'd better back away while holding eye contact, least you fling your feces at me in some howling, inarticulate rage.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
You know, for someone who likes making accusations of illiteracy, you might want to work on sentences like these:

I've never claimed remake ended as a bonus content.
Dropped word, happens to everyone, especially if one don't read his own posts to check if there are some grammar or spelling mistakes (hardly anyone does it for forum posts). Probably happens too often in my case. And I actually have never written that, just as you have never written "it was so bad" instead of "it was just such a halfassed sequel" while later saying the matter of AoDA being or not being a sequel had been a part of your post. :wink:

Zeus

Cipher
Destroid said:
Vin Diesel actually looks pretty suitable as a syndicate agent in that picture.

Hehe, I hid a few Easter eggs in there.

I hate to say it, but I'd totally go see a Syndicate movie.

Phelot

Arcane
I was playing Syndicate a month ago again. I tried using the Freesynd but the sound didn't work, so I got it to go on DOSbox. It works reasonably well on it. I still have the original box and floppy disks :lol: that was when boxes were the bomb.

I wouldn't mind a Syndicate remake if I didn't think it was going to be butchered. The controls and UI could use some major work and tbh the combat and gameplay is very simple. And yet it was still awesome!

If they remade it I bet they'd make it all eXtreme. I mean, the original was extreme and all, but it had this sort of dry matter-of-fact way of giving the briefings: "A once trusted associate's wife has sensitive information. Take your squad and eliminate her"

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
They should add kiddies, pregnant women and all that stuff they cut out from the original.

Tails

Arbiter
I Didn't see this mentioned on Codex so: Syndicate Wars Port
The port is not fully complete. It is possible to finish the single player campaigns, but support for networking is missing.There is also no support for joystick control.
It's great so far, the singleplayer is fully implemented, thought I'm right now at 8-9 mission. Good stuff for people who are irritated by Dosbox speed issues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom