Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Swords of Exile (Blades of Exile remake)

Lagi

Savant
http://www.swordsofexile.net78.net/

EDIT:
the website is down. And the author abandon his child.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1de94rba04l9gjg/Swords_of_Exile.rar
If anyone want to try enhanced Exile - oldschool with modern coding.
/edit
screenshot5.jpg

X0Iuec5.png

Its remake not made by Jeff Vogel.;)

"Swords" were forged by amateur lumberjack and they are spiritual faithful to the Exile series game mechanic.
+ in order of:bounce::
  1. Free
  2. Work native on modern OS/machines
  3. stable (I complete scenario without any crash/bugs)
  4. Fullscreen view (instead of 9x9)
  5. Zoom out-in with mouse scroll
  6. 3 original BoE scenario works
  7. 6 dudes in party
  8. lots of AoE spells (ok, some are useless, some OP)
  9. stackable buff/debuffs effect
  10. great "Stand Ready" order (your warriors strike in opponents turn)
  11. [QWE/ASD/ZXC] movement keys
  12. fast movement speed (no roguelike-instant though)
-:
abusable old system
(early Str pick-up rush for HP gains, Int drop stat, 2x3 lists of spells at start, useless Lockpick, food from spells, ... well Avernum's done it better, here and there, at least with increasing cost of skills

Cory Mattison said:
Of course, all this is dependent on the reception I get for the current release. I’m doing this all in my free time so let me know if you like it.
Could you send author some warm words of attention? To reignite him for putting more effort into this resurrection.

He emerge with his masterpiece here: http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/21633-swords-of-exile/

Last edited:

getter77

Augur
That's definitely interesting---did not expect somebody would ever take such pains for a project like this.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, I have no exp in Exile series (almost, halfway-through Crystal Souls didn't count I think), so I don't know why someone need this?
Also Blased of Avernum is what makes me to fall in love with series (Za-Khazi Run is amazing).

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I never played Blades of Exile (nor BoA). How does it relate do the Exiles? Did it have official content or only fan made adventures?

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well this is a treat! Blades of Exile is an awesome little module creation tool, with a surprisingly large modder community. I haven't been able to easily play the original Exile trilogy, but Blades of Exile seems to run fine on my Windows 7 system. I'm hoping the convertor from the original to the remake can handle all the older mods without any issue.

Forum: http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/forum/12-blades-of-exile/
List of Recommended Modules: http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/blades/scen_stuff/solid.html
Random File Depot: https://blades.calref.net/
http://celmin.pwcsite.com/oboe/?C=M;O=D

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Blades of Avernum has 3 Jeff Vogel made scenario, first and third of them is solid but not so fun, but second - Za-Khazi Run is great.
Why? Well, first of all it has limited time, so you can't poke your nose in every corner and I hate that. But you can circumvent that with save\load - you save, explore map as you wish, find all optimate routs so you move on shortest path, and because od that you can actually visit most places, and try most fights. If some fights require too much turns to get to them, then just save, win fight, reload - you know anyway you win it.
Fights are shining star of that scenario. They are really hard, so you should use every spell, every potion, every tactic you can invent.
I win all fights there, and that was very satisfying.

Btw I have manadge to break a game in first scenario - there is a dragon, and it assumed that a player is unable to defeat him (because there are no scripts for such outcome), but I managed to kill him. ))

Lagi

Savant
Za-Khazi Run is great.
Why? Well, first of all it has limited time, so you can't poke your nose in every corner and I hate that. But you can circumvent that with save\load - you save, explore map as you wish, find all optimate routs so you move on shortest path, and because od that you can actually visit most places, and try most fights. If some fights require too much turns to get to them, then just save, win fight, reload - you know anyway you win it.
Doesnt sound so great. :roll:

I have manadge to break a game in first scenario - there is a dragon, and it assumed that a player is unable to defeat him (because there are no scripts for such outcome), but I managed to kill him. ))
:salute: Pythras IIRC, she has 250 HP's.

I was trying to wipe-out a village from guards (150 hp) yesterday. I hate thou cowards, parasites on starving villagers, roost outside doing nothing. They for sure bullying local goverments, so the authority has to comminsion hardest work for greenhorns. :argh:

In SoE, I kill 3 with ~15lvl party, thank to stupid AI that order to throw them harmless Javalins at me. Surprisingly the Fireballs do them no harm; forcefields, wounds and warriors do a better job.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Doesnt sound so great. :roll:

Well, it's my lack of proper English.
I mean that Za-Khazi Run is scenario which show all possible tactical depth of battle system in Avernum.
I have not seen anything like this in the first Avernum (also it has slightly different system if I remember it right), also I didn't finish Avernum 2 yet (because it's fucking huge, I just lost there and it's the only game that make me lost).
Anyway that scenario had planty of various and very different battles with very little resources on hand to overcome them.
There you meet a very different creatures, and ZKR has overall brilliant design.

Pythras IIRC, she has 250 HP's.

Yeah, that beast. Possible, if forum hadn't suffered accident, there still may be my topic with victory pics. ))

SoE?

Also I looked into BoA descriptions, and it seems that there are 4 scenarios, also I absolutely don't remember the one before magical school.

Mustawd

Swords of Exile Huh? I'd definitely be interested to pl....err..put it on my backlog

Seriously though, this is very cool.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah, those tile graphics bring me back to the first time I played Exile... happy times exploring that vast underground world (with a party larger than 4!!). :love: What happen Vogel...?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
:necro:

I was wondering about how many created adventures people had done for BOE & BOA and what the ranking was of BEST to WORST. This thread popped up in the search and I recall reading about it in another thread I believe.

Gandalf

Arbiter
:necro:

I was wondering about how many created adventures people had done for BOE & BOA and what the ranking was of BEST to WORST. This thread popped up in the search and I recall reading about it in another thread I believe.
Found some tables from the official site for BOE:
& BOA:
  • Official Blades of Avernum Scenario Pages, maintained by Spiderweb Software:
  • The Unofficial Blades of Avernum Scenario Database, endorsed by us here at Spiderweb. This site is run by Tyranicus and is a well maintained list of all the current scenarios available on one convienent page.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom