Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Sword Coast Legends Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: n-Space; Sword Coast Legends

The vaguely D&D-inspired, co-op-centric RTwP RPG Sword Coast Legends by developer n-Space was originally supposed to be released early last month, but ended up getting delayed twice. Since then, it has become quite the source of entertainment, after its "Head Start" early access release sparked an immense wave of butthurt and rage among the furious customers who finally realized they weren't going to get the next Neverwinter Nights. At its climax, a very upset Dan O'Leary (CEO of n-Space) made an appearance in the game's official forums to personally offer refunds. Today, the game has finally been released, and it looks like the rage hasn't simmered down, because its Steam reviews aren't so hot. It seems there's no launch trailer, so here's a trailer they released for PAX Prime back in August, along with the game's description:

Set in the lush and vibrant world of the Forgotten Realms, Sword Coast Legends offers an all-new way to enjoy the time-tested magic of playing Dungeons & Dragons as a shared storytelling experience. With a deep narrative developed by a team of long-time industry veterans and a partnership with Wizards of the Coast, the single player campaign of Sword Coast Legends brings the world of Faerûn home like never before.

Sword Coast Legends also brings the roleplaying dynamic between players and Dungeon Masters to life with DM Mode, a first-of-its-kind real-time experience in which Dungeon Masters guide players through unique customizable adventures. In DM Mode, the Dungeon Master engages players and empowers them to have fun in a way that suits the party best while creating a tailored, non-adversarial 4 with 1 experience that any RPG or pen-and-paper fan will enjoy.

Key Features:
  • Single player campaign created by members of the leadership team that brought you Dragon Age™: Origins
  • Choose from five playable races and six unique character classes to build your own stalwart adventurer
  • A return to form, SCL is the compelling and complex RPG you've been waiting for and features pause time, party-based tactical combat and involving storylines
  • Dungeon Master Mode: Create your own epic adventure to share with your friends, or enhance their experience in real time as they traverse your dungeon
  • Set in the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms universe based on the fifth edition ruleset and populated with Dungeons & Dragons lore and legend

A copy of Sword Coast Legends will cost you $40 on Steam. I do hope somebody here plays it, because I'm sure there's more entertainment to be had.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I'm here to help.

:australia:

It thought this guy was your local hero:

220px-Clinton_Buddy_120597.jpg

Shammy

Learned
Wait, this game doesn't even have all the classes from whatever edition they're using? No DRUID?

Truly the hallmark of the great :decline:

Weasel
Wait, this game doesn't even have all the classes from whatever edition they're using? No DRUID?
Truly the hallmark of the great :decline:

It's not all bad. From what I've seen of the reviews, people who dislike D&D are enjoying the game.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I really like this guy.

rednosewine
Oct 20, 2015
this is not a D&D game.
this is a bad diablo clone mixed with some dragon age on top of D&D lore.
so to speak: they made an cRPG engine that desecrate D&D with it.
they invented some crappy class mechanics and gave them D&D class names. then they invented some crappy real time battle system (that seems to roll a D&D D20 sometimes). and on top of that they put monster scaling (thats right: lvl 1 lich or beholder ... here we come), item stacking (almost 100% cooldown reduction(!) ... no an issue) and some other garbage AND CALLED IT: "BASED ON 5e D&D".

the story of the game is nice, have to give them credit for it. sadly it is told with not much more than a fedex quest system - go there, kill this, take that, get back wrapped in some nice story. want to solve a quest a little differently like pick pocketing the quest giver (pp not in the game btw) or do something off the questing rail road? go look somewhere else.

the editor (aka dm tool set) ... lol. i am not very much into DMing, i would like to build my own campaigns, though. But NSpace thought: "lets tell the players that they can build EVERY imaginable D&D adventure out there with our tool set (dan tudge said so - look up the interviews). and then we give them some (not much) pre made tile sets, throw some random dungeons at them (not editable), let them place some enemies (no bosses, though!) and let them write some one-liners as quest texts. of course no brachning dialogs, triggers or something like that ... AND of course we do not give them all the assets that the main campaign uses (like dragons) ... those we will sell separably".

are you kidding me? luckily could play the game before release (pre order) and get a refund right after release from steam.

Shammy

Learned
It's not all bad. From what I've seen of the reviews, people who dislike D&D are enjoying the game.
I suppose it isn't all bad, but it's very 'basic', in almost every way too. Combat, Writing, etc., its just such a meh final product that I wonder how it even got shoveled out the door.

Drowed

Arcane
Where's all the drama? Someone has any good link from any butthurt thread on their forum or anything?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Where's all the drama? Someone has any good link from any butthurt thread on their forum or anything?

Butthurt? What butthurt?

- Anyone else find it funny how almost all of the negative reviews are full of spelling errors, rage, and Pillars of Eternity mentioning? lol

- Plus some of them haven't even played the game, because they're saying you can't do certain things here and there even though you can...

- Someone said you can't multi class despite the fact that when creating my Paladin there were skills from other classes available for me to learn. :S

- it's stupid the games great in my opinion

- Haters going to hate. People went in expecting NWN3/PoE2/Whatever but failed to do the most basic of things .. research. From the very beginning it was never touted to be anything like the aforementioned games yet, somehow, they complain and flip tables when they aren't the same.The mind boggles.

- The vast majority of negative reviews are just "This wasn't the game I wanted!".

- There is a lot of spelling errors, child like rage, and mentioning of pillars of eternity. Also a lot of "I want the game to be exactly how I want it to be, I'm a spoiled brat. I want it to be exactly like the table top version COMPLETELY but as a video game."

- I've seen crap games, this is not one of them. There aren't enough publishers willing to take risks with this genre as it is. Why they can't just offer consructive criticism and say I like X but not Y is beyond me. Well, actually it's not in this entitlement age. I do hope N-space does well enough to make more content.

- "Lol. The game is marketed as a D&D game. The game is trying to capitalize off of D&D's fanbase. Therefore, it is fair to judge them based on that. You can't have it both ways."

Funny, I bought it because I'm a cRPG and Neverwinter fan. By your logic games shouldn't adapt or modernize or innovate. I think Fallout 4 is trying to capitalize on all the people who liked Fallout 1. Let's do a smear campaign! Let's go back to 1980s! I liked Big Hair.

- It's a user-friendly and accessible CRPG that doesn't feel like a chore. The tediousness of the pnp stuff doesn't make for a fun game IMO. SCL is really good at being an enjoyable video game.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/325600/discussions/0/483367798520694002/#p3

Etc. etc.

getter77

Augur
Well, I guess it comes down to whether or not lightning can strike twice on a clear and sunny day in terms of post-release efforts in much the same spirit and sense as the Realms of Arkania HD project.

Otherwise, well, maintain those dusty and worn OGL altars folks---it'll probably continue to be quite awhile yet at this kind of intentional start for 5e's license lifecycle.

Dorateen

Arcane
Similarly, you must avoid the tendency to drift into areas foreign to the game as a whole. Such campaigns become so strange as to be no longer “AD&D”.
~ E. Gary Gygax, Dungeon Master's Guide Preface

I think it's safe to say with SCL, we've entered foreign territory.

Weasel
Similarly, you must avoid the tendency to drift into areas foreign to the game as a whole. Such campaigns become so strange as to be no longer “AD&D”.
~ E. Gary Gygax, Dungeon Master's Guide Preface

I think it's safe to say with SCL, we've entered foreign territory.

The announced DLC will have Drizzt though

:troll:

It really will feature Drizzt :negative:

DarkArcher

Educated
The Steam and Metacritic User reviews are not good. It looks like Diablo or Gauntlet and not the type of meaty RPG most folks want. I get WotC wants to widen their demographic for a younger audience, but this seems like a disappointing effort. Why can't we get a strong single player D&D game???

Black

Arcane
The demographic is wide enough thanks to bioware's CHOSEN ONE'S ADVENTURES: COARD WOST

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
http://www.metacritic.com/game/psp/dungeons-dragons-tactics

That is the last full dnd game I played, was pretty decent, especially for a handheld.
No one has mentioned (I think) the fucking retarded "early access" situation where it makes you download the whole game client, instead of using assets from the ea install folder.
Lazy planning and contempt for the customer. They really do know what rpg fans are willing to put up with I guess.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If this is D&D then PoE and DA are D&D games too.

Female charaters voice sets ( there are 4 ) are each more terrible than the other, I tried creating a decent female paladin but Oh god the horror.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom