Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I actually was surprised by how many fans there are of Drizzt
Same.

Thought people who spoke up about that were being eliminated for the good of humanity. Program must have died off. Shame.

ArchAngel

Arcane
They said that their E3 presentation will most revolve around DM mode. I guess they hope to be next D:OS or something.

ArchAngel

Arcane
They said that their E3 presentation will most revolve around DM mode. I guess they hope to be next D:OS or something.
You mean Neverwinter Nights don't you?
Nope. They want to offer a D&D Co-OP experience that is easy to start playing and fast and fluid. D:OS was closest isometric game to that so far.
For SCL they also added DMs.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's a hack n slash with no mod support and DM tools behind a heinous paywall. I like hack n slash games, but this seems like a disingenuous hybrid that's masquerading as something it's not.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
why the fuck do ya'll care about this game?
Because hope has 100k HP and huge innate regeneration.

SCL's prospects look pretty illusive though. I'm not sure how they're going to appeal to the AAA-spoiled mainststream crowd with a Unity-based game. And without a convenient and feature-rich toolset they can't hope attract modders (especially with SR:HK and FO4 on the horizon). So who is their TA?

There are die hard DnD fans, of course, who will buy anything as long as the box has a WotC logo on it...

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am a die hard DnD fan but I still don't buy shit games. Actually hard core DnD fans are going to care more if the game is really D&D or just claims so.
I think this game is more for DnD casual fans = people that only played computer DnD games or that played only a few sessions of table top DND.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I will admit I'm interested for the co-op part of the game.
It seems really probable that it will suck as an RPG but it might be fun to play with others as a game in general

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

JasonNH

Augur
@18:35 - "I used pause and play constantly"

Yeah, that was my concern, thanks for affirming.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I'm still annoyed how uninspiring art SCL has. It's like that new HoMM 7. When I look at the companions there's nothing to distinguish them from a generic russian shovelware f2p mmo. Like they talk big about feelz and epicness and bringing back iconic forgotten realms characters - well I'm sorry but your art alone disconnects anything you are trying to convey.

Weasel
frequent DLC is best DLC

We all are working hard to exceed your expectations.

While we are not yet prepared to formally share our DLC strategy, the team is on record saying that our post release content options will be frequent, of varied scope and price, and of high value to the player. Tabletop D&D is more than a game, it's a hobby that evolves and expands over time. SCL hold true to that tradition.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
This is probably going to fail hard. Initial sales will probably be decent due to hype, but DLC sales are probably going to be in the bucket once people realize the game is shallow shit. I hope Hasbro doesn't conclude there's no market for D&D computer games.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Personally I find it insulting if they are going to try charging for basic races and classes from PHB. They talk in their interview how D&D is about buying additional material. Yes, but it has some basic things that are bought in Core books. If their game does not implement a similar amount of content (classes, races, monsters, items) don't call upon DnD book as a cover for your greed/incompetence.

Lhynn

Arcane
Personally i find it hilarious that people are going to pay for this piece of shit.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
For those glamouring about the DM mode, here's something you ought to know: There will never ever will be anything like DMing stuff like in NWN1&2, nor servers handled by the players because devs and publishers will not give away their "power" to the players.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
with early iterations on multiplayer and DM play we realized quite quickly that resting to recover spells just wasn’t going to appeal to a broad group of players.
This is how you can fuck up everything. Resting system didn't worked in video games. It's purpose isn't fulfilled in video games, it only causes retarded things like going to save somebody from immediate threat inside of some dungeon, and spend 1 month on it because you want your cooldowns to go off. It still doesn't really works, the game that is closest to "working" is Pillars of Eternity and we all know that it "werks" more than it "works". Instead of saying this, they went for crying about borader audience :negative:
Never forget, all Kickstarter proved was the core audience is roughly 500,000 souls (which everybody already knew). That, while the popamole core is 5,000,000 strong.
I wouldn't say it's 500k. I'd say it's something like 2-4 millions, the popamole-RPG crowd is 10-20M big. Remember that
1) not everybody bought those games(some pirated, some still wait for good sale)
2) not everybody was/is interested in all those games(including the best-selling ones)

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yeah Derp Age ,Twitcher and such selling 10 to 20 million are you drunk.Only two "RPG" are close to that Diablo 3 and TES:5 and only because people that don't play RPGs buy them.

Weasel
After giving up on this game months ago, I have to admit I've had a few laughs checking out their forums again over the last couple of days. Wanted to see how the console reveal went down and there were a bunch of people talking about refunds, so the CEO suddenly started posting and talking about how this game was always aimed at PCs and they only had a couple of consoles in their office.

But it really is strange seeing what sort of requests devs have to deal with, imagine making a D&D game and getting stuff like this:
https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/topic/1775-ash-and-dan-oleary-request/

The request is.. I did not really see any long hairs shown in the character creation.. I am guessing it's due to taking the safe path. I suppose I will have to deal with it.. Now am curious if any chance Illydia 's hair can be made usable on human females? the styles I did see.. are the slicked back ones. Prefer some bangs on my characters.

Yes I am sure someone will have to come comment on how "long hair and hair with bangs makes no sense! they are fighters!" to those people... *gets the stick* It's a fantasy world... not reality, Anything should be possible within the realms of imagination. I also never once read any D&D rule stating a restriction on hairstyles ...... yeah take that ya rule mongers \o/

OH! and option to hide head gear.. pretty please! and here is another one that will get some hate.. a costume tab if possible. So we can have anything we desire show instead of the armor we wear. Just make it so those who complain about it can disable it in game.

But finally, in another thread the CEO cleared up all concerns by stating that everyone should have known all along that this game is continuing the evolution of D&D classics like DAO:

It should be no surprise to anyone that SCL is reminiscent of DA:O. We have stated from early on that n-Space intended to continue on the evolution of games that began (roughly) with Baldur's Gate and (we feel) ended with Dragon Age: Origins, adding to that formula a set of DM related capabilities.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Character customization, housing, pets and skins - "what is an RPG?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom