Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm still kinda miffed about people straight up refusing to use Greyhawk as a setting for a D&D game, and instead opting for the incredibly boring Forgotten Realms.

Oh hi.

I am fully aware of ToEE, but it doesn't count in my mind since it's a direct adaptation of a preexisting PnP module and not an original campaign made for a videogame.
It's also shit.

But it still have better gameplay than all western CRPG to date

Luzur

Good Sir
Luskan:
Luskan-Map-0021.jpg

Kinda odd of them to leave undead infested ruins right in the middle of town.

To this day I consider the fact that Planescape, Dark Sun, Spelljammer and Al-Qadim are dead, Ravenloft is kinda-sorta-dead, and fucking Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance still live on a huge memorial to your average RPG enthusiast's bad taste.

This game could be interesting if it would be moddable and if they release a working toolset with it. If it will be released just with some tools for real-time, restricted in scope, content manipulation then I'll pass. I don't have faith that its creators can and will make an interesting story, I'm not a fan of RTwP, and what I've seen on screenshots doesn't make me very hopeful for its combat system.

Last edited:

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Good news gang. I gathered up a number of the Sword Coast questions you've been asking here and on the forums and got actual answers.. SOON

Obviously there is a ton we can't talk about, but you should get a few tidbits of intel later this afternoon. /nod

From twitter, looking forward if they will be answering anything interesting, or is it just words.

Last edited:

Grubba

Arcane

Just wait. The city council will re-zone it as an area of urban renewal and gentrification will soon follow. Bead stores, yarn stores, and coffee shops as far as the eye can see!

Weasel
Good news gang. I gathered up a number of the Sword Coast questions you've been asking here and on the forums and got actual answers.. SOON

Obviously there is a ton we can't talk about, but you should get a few tidbits of intel later this afternoon. /nod

From twitter, looking forward if they will be answering anything interesting, or is it just words.

Good to hear. I've spent far too much time checking out that forum, waiting for the shit to hit the fan when the truth comes out. They've left things so vague that everyone from ancient 1st ed DMs to popamolers, MMO fans and romance addicts all think they'll be getting their perfect game. And many are spending money already.

The forum does share a few similarities with the Codex, however. Not as many swastikas, but I've already come across a Metro :

I wish there was an option to opt-out of the physical copy in exchange for steam badges or something. Years ago I let go of all game boxes and my life is so much better for it. ALL HAIL GABEN!!!! He has saved us.

And a Duraframe:

So I've decided to lurk a bit and gather twitter accounts of some of n-space's developers that seem to be working on Sword Coast Legends so you can stalk them in the most unsubtle fashion by sending them aye-aye pictures.

Now on to the twitter accounts in no particular order. All of those are working on Sword Coast Legends.

@TimSchwalk - Tim Schwalk. A Design Director.
@26PM - Josiah Munsey. An environment artist.
@ChrisBromby - Chris Bromby. Art director at n-Space.
@sjbSpace - Stephen Baker. Technical UI artist.
@davidblosser - David Blosser. Dunno what he's doing but he's doing it for Sword Coast Legends.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hello everyone,

My name is Dan Tudge and I’m the director of Sword Coast Legends and president of n-Space. We’re all very happy to be finally be sharing SCL with the world and are very thankful that you have chosen to be a part of its creation. We've already seen a lot of questions on the boards here and while there is much we can’t talk about I’m going to do my best to answer what I can:

Will there be a Mac version of this game? Boom! Right out of the gate something I cannot talk about! We’re not talking about additional SKUs right now.

Will there be micro-transactions, or content locked behind a price tag? I can understand the concern around micro-transactions and assure you that SCL is a fully featured RPG that is not “locked behind micro-transactions.” Much like the table-top, we do plan on continuing to create adventures for both DMs and players long after launch. We have a lot of stories to tell, characters to meet and places to visit, but we cannot create them all before launch. We are going to keep creating content as long as you keep playing!

How long is the single player campaign? While we’re not talking about the campaign in detail right now but I can tell you this: It’s not going to be short! A great RPG isn’t something you finish over a weekend and SCL certainly won’t be finished in a weekend either.

What exactly is the Design Council? Access to special forums that will help us, the developers, make decisions that mold and shape SCL.

What exactly is early access? (Roughly how long is it?) We actually can’t say just how long early access will be just yet, however we can say that you’ll get ample time to adventure prior to launch.

Will there be an alpha or beta test? We’re not talking about alpha or beta testing right now.

Can you explain more about how DM mode works and the DM toolset? The DM can fully customize the player experience, significantly altering an adventure by changing encounters, placing traps, spawning monsters, creating quest NPCs, generating secret areas, locking doors - all in real-time. There are also offline campaign tools that enable DMs to build campaigns for their players - more about that later.

Are any localizations planned? We understand that there are a lot of RPGs players that love to play in a language other than English and we are evaluating additional localized versions right now – more details to come.

Are there any plans for the game on SteamOS/Linux? We’re not talking about additional skus right now.

Will there be Romances in the game? A hallmark of a great RPGs is the meaningful companions you meet along the way and how they react the choices you make in your story. These companions become your “friends”, ones you remember long after playing the game - characters like Minsc and Jaheira from the Baldur’s Gate series or Alistair and Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins. In SCL we’re creating companions that stand tall within that legacy. Will you be able to romance them? You’ll have to wait and see. J

Will Sword Coast Legends be separate canon from the novels? We’re working in tight coordination with Wizards of the Coast and have created an original story for SCL, one that is tightly woven into Forgotten Realms lore.

How do you coordinate with Wizards on lore/content? For two years we've worked very closely with the D&D team at Wizards of the Coast to ensure players get a true “D&D experience.” I would also mention that we’re all fans of tabletop D&D (and the Forgotten Realms) here. Many of the Sword Coast Legends team plays D&D several times a week and have done so for years. In fact, several of our story ideas have come from our personal campaigns!

Can you tell us more details about the Belaphoss Statue? Right now I can tell you that it looks awesome and will be shipped to your house closer to launch.

Will the camera be able to rotate, move and zoom in and out? Absolutely, and in single player you’ll be able to pause with the spacebar and issue tactics old school!

How will movement be handled in the game? You will move around the game with your mouse using point and click.

Will the single player campaign be playable coop? More details on that later!

Any idea exactly what the tome of knowledge is? Reading the Tome of Knowledge will give players additional points to spend on their character’s ability scores and class features (spells and abilities).

You’re a big part of SCL now so please keep your questions, comments and feedback coming!

Best,

Dan Tudge

Director, Sword Coast Legends

Luzur

Good Sir

Just wait. The city council will re-zone it as an area of urban renewal and gentrification will soon follow. Bead stores, yarn stores, and coffee shops as far as the eye can see!

I sure hope so, since wandering dangerous undead have access to the market square, Kurth, Rat Alley and with a little walk around a wall the Captains Court.

Tigranes

Arcane
So... no useful details.

It's nice of him to use so many exclamation marks, they make us so happy!

Athelas

Arcane
Interesting how those questions are answered - only generalities and careful to make a definitive statement about anything. Notice how his answer about micro-transactions is not saying there won't be any, but saying that the game will be already a fully-featured RPG even without them.

Delterius

Arcane
At this point I think its fair to say that this will be Forgotten Realms: Origins.

So its the spiritual successor to the spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate 2 we have all been waiting for. :troll:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Notice how his answer about micro-transactions is not saying there won't be any, but saying that the game will be already a fully-featured RPG even without them.

He's very strongly implying that there will be microtransactions. No other reason for him to mention post-launch content in that answer.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Notice how his answer about micro-transactions is not saying there won't be any, but saying that the game will be already a fully-featured RPG even without them.

He's very strongly implying that there will be microtransactions. No other reason for him to mention post-launch content in that answer.

$10 bucks say the first DLC is either Drizzt or Elminister content.

Weasel
Have to repeat this as they're still prattling on about being old-time pnp players and providing a "true D&D experience". If you select a more expensive preorder package you get the Tome of Knowledge.

Any idea exactly what the tome of knowledge is? Reading the Tome of Knowledge will give players additional points to spend on their character’s ability scores and class features (spells and abilities).

Mortmal

Arcane
DLCS are init cant be stated more clearly , but this might be adventure modules, so not too worried about that, its kinda like that with D&D since the 80's. Whats more worrying is you can be sure romance are in,you will be shipped merchandising goodies but absolutely no info about ruleset nor character creationsor if the fights will be really tactical like a true D&d game.Codex interview is needed.

Drowed

Arcane
Well, Dragonfall was a "DLC" at one point. The problem is trusting that the devs will really make worthwhile content in it.

cfisher2833

Learned
I don't like that rotating camera bit. It was annoying as fuck in Wasteland 2, and it'll probably be annoying with this game as well. Hopefully they'll let you lock it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't like that rotating camera bit. It was annoying as fuck in Wasteland 2, and it'll probably be annoying with this game as well. Hopefully they'll let you lock it.
If a game is made for a rotating camera, you can't just lock it in place.

The levels will be designed to be seen from multiple angels and stuff will be hidden unless you rotate.

Ramireza

Savant

$10 bucks say the first DLC is either Drizzt or Elminister content.

Maybe a Drizzt Romance DLC?

Or even better : A Drizzt and Catti brie Friendship Expansion:

2aa8ed7ae44d0f5ff06a53176e2bb2ec.jpg

401204-188156-cattie-brie.jpg

(On this Picture they look like N7 Soldiers. WTF?!)

Shannow

Waster of Time
So... no useful details.

It's nice of him to use so many exclamation marks, they make us so happy!
Well, some people here thought the single-player campaign'd be forced co-op. It's pretty clear that will not be the case.
And judging from the answers to DLC and the "quality" of the sp campaign, they're also aware that there are concerns here. (That we're onto them.) This might force them to be less shitty. (Or they don't give a fuck.)

We already knew there'd be DLCs. The question is whether they'll be of the horse armor or Dragonfall variety.

We also get to know, that there'll be early access. So the Steam-suckers can be our little guinea pigs.

Are the answers less clear than I'd like: sure.
Are questions (eg. concerning rule system) missing: sure.
Is this strange for today's industry: not really. For some reason the fuckers think stringing people along builds hype...:roll:
Am I some ADD kiddie that'll throw a tantrum just because I did not get all information right nao!: nope.

Still nothing that'll make me outright dismiss this... But there are a few more months and more information to come. I'm sure something inacceptable will come along. Then I can again wallow in "everything is shit" (apart from the incline) with my fellow codexers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom