Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Sword Coast Legends, a new Dungeons & Dragons RPG, announced by n-Space and Digital Extremes

Drowed

Arcane
The game sure *looks* good, really. Seems like a less colorful and more "dirty" D:OS.

But until we have something more meaningful and specific about the mechanics... This could go either way. The thing is, I'm not even worried. So many good games being launched, and some will still come out in this year (Pillars of Eternity, Underrail, Serpent in the Staglands) that if this game is no big deal, it will not be missed.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
DLC doesn't sound terrible to me for a game like this. That would indeed be the key to getting some Ravenloft content in a video game.

Call me when they make the Planescape expansion. :troll:

AwesomeDude

Educated
Judging from the screenshots, it does have Baldur's Gate feel in it. I'm having cautious hopes for it. Also the Steam page has a release date as Q3 2015 so it might take a while.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It looks a bit too "arcade", the combat i mean, but its just an uninformed impression from the meager footage shown.

The graphics overall look interesting, and i understand the 3d approach for the added modularity of an online dungeon master campaign.

The single player campaign seems to be a bit secondary, seems the biggest push is to promote the multiplayer aspect, no word of full fledged companions.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It looks a bit too "arcade", the combat i mean, but its just an uninformed impression from the meager footage shown.

The graphics overall look interesting, and i understand the 3d approach for the added modularity of an online dungeon master campaign.

The single player campaign seems to be a bit secondary, seems the biggest push is to promote the multiplayer aspect, no word of full fledged companions.

Well, it was announced several hours ago.

kain611

Augur
I'm willing to give it a go. To get better D&D products you have to support to an extent the lesser products? Anyway happy its just on PC maybe it will be good........

m_s0

Arcane
DLC doesn't sound terrible to me for a game like this. That would indeed be the key to getting some Ravenloft content in a video game.

I'd really be down with a solid (TB) D&D module-based game. They wouldn't have to be epic BG2-size campaigns, and that'd work rather well with a DLC scheme. ToEE had some potential to become something along those lines, but the modules never really happened.

It's not quite the vibe I'm getting from this, though. Not to mention the devs don't exactly instill hope.

I'd really be down with a solid (TB) D&D module-based game. They wouldn't have to be epic BG2-size campaigns, and that'd work rather well with a DLC scheme. ToEE had some potential to become something along those lines, but the modules never really happened.

It's not quite the vibe I'm getting from this, though. Not to mention the devs don't exactly instill hope.

Although I have no reason to believe Dan Tudge is super inspired when it comes to RPG development, he's experienced, competent, and through WotC has access to decades worth of personnel who have written books/designed modules for the D&D franchise. Wasteland 2's shortcomings exhibited the value of such experience.

bussinrounds

Augur

This is based on 5th edition bro.

WotC isn't gonna let them use the old 2nd ed settings.

Delterius

Arcane

This is based on 5th edition bro.

WotC isn't gonna let them use the old 2nd ed settings.

Eh? I don't know about that.
I wouldn't know, but haven't they been biased against reprints of old settings, in the past?

I wouldn't know, but haven't they been biased against reprints of old settings, in the past?

Its been nearly a decade since WotC's fading interest in cRPGs sputtered out and nobody can say for sure what their combat doctrine is with this game, me included.

Given the context of cRPGs, I would say they're being influenced by the following factors:

(1) the culture of early access and DLC lends itself well to low risk expansions, which was convenient for cRPG development
(2) Divinity: Original Sin proved the value of proper co-op in a cRPG, which is the aspect of game development WotC has shown the most interest in since Mysteries of Westgate formally ended the old Forgotten Realms/Planescape RtwP metaseries.
(3) Pillars of Eternity and Tides of Numenera proved there remains some kind of commercial interest in cRPGs
(4) game development costs have been greatly reduced by the abundance of free game engines, labor market glut, and distribution via digital retailers

In this case, making expansions that add new mechanics while widening the genre appeal with fringe interests like Dark Sun (post apocalyptic) or Planescape (Gothic) seems like the intelligent way of making the most of the new environment for cRPG game development.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
(1) the culture of early access and DLC lends itself well to low risk expansions, which was convenient for cRPG development

The "culture of DLC" should die a slow and painful death.

Other than that, completely agree with you.

Dyskolos

Cipher
The thing is, I'm not even worried. So many good games being launched, and some will still come out in this year (Pillars of Eternity, Underrail, Serpent in the Staglands) that if this game is no big deal, it will not be missed.

This. It's an odd feeling when the first real effort at a DnD game in forever is low-stakes and all a failure means is one less game to add to the mounting backlog.

Several of our readers immediately concluded that this was going to be a new D&D game, and that it would be popamole. They were at least half-right.
Half? But you just said it's going to be a D&D game.
:troll:

Seriously, though:
- RTwP
- Ruleset "inspired by" 5th Ed D&D
- Ex-modern-Bioware (DA:O is worth name-dropping now?)
- NWN2-like spell FX and goddamn retarded on-hit sparkles
- "lush and vibrant world of the Forgotten Realms"

:keepmymoney:

Seriously, though:
- RTwP
- Ruleset "inspired by" 5th Ed D&D
- Ex-modern-Bioware (DA:O is worth name-dropping now?)
- NWN2-like spell FX and goddamn retarded on-hit sparkles
- "lush and vibrant world of the Forgotten Realms"

The potential incline of this is sort of contextual. Rules heavy games are hard to make work as co-ops that involve players of varying experience. DA:O levels of difficulty are a good compromise for that kind of design. Not too opaque but not entirely decline.

DeepOcean

Arcane
There is not enough footage to know if this sucks, show me the character creation screen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom