Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suggestion thread for codex-themed content in Wasteland 2

Shannow

Waster of Time
At the moment our suggestions are being spread over 3-4 threads so I thought we'd pool them in one thread. Whether or not we manage to get to the 5000$ mark for a statue remains to be seen, but we've already collected enough for a codex location, NPC or item.

First I'd suggest we copy Tim Cain's stance on in-jokes in Fallout: Those who know it recognize it but it's not (too) out of place for people who don't. We could pool suggestions here and simply direct Fargo here to choose what he likes/what fits the world and let ourselves be surprized. Or we discuss amongst ourselves what we like best and suggest that to Fargo. (I favour the first).

Here're my suggestions:
Items:
1. an RPG http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket-propelled_grenade that has a high chance to be a dud and also to crit. If somebody is killed by a crit with the RPG it gives a text like "Another mole popped." or something.
2. The Codex. It is an interactive story book like in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diamond_Age . If the player uses it he gets a small text adventure.

Location/NPCs:
A theme park/national park called the Great Fault (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fault_(geology)) has been settled. The settlers live in the basements of the original facility. They call themselves the Fault Dwellers, everybody else calls them basement dwellers. They call the apocalypse the Great Decline and go on about how everything used to be better. They call outsiders Toddlers. The codex troll statue could be set above the theme park entrance and nobody'd know why the ancestors chose such a weird mascot for the Fault. Their main entrance would be called Skyway and their leader calls himself the Underlord.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
`Twas bumface, and the raging hordes
Did hurr and durr in the GD:
Indecent were the tranny-men,
And the gents sipped at their tea.

"Beware the popamole, my bro!
The Jews that fund, the health regen
Beware the quest compass, and lo
The sticky cover-walls!"
He took his MHD in hand,
Long time the casual foe he sought --
So rested he by Volourn's tree,
And wanked a while in thought.
And, as he fapped to members banned,
The popamole, with dicks aflame,
Came whiffling from retardo land
And regened as it came!
A, B! A, B! And so the QTE did go
The MHD went spatter-splat!
He popped its mole, and with its head
He went galumphing back.
"And, has thou ended the popamole?
Come to GD, my patriot!
Epic win! Over 9000!'
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas bumface, and the raging hordes
Did hurr and durr in the GD:
Indecent were the tranny-men,
And the gents sipped at their tea.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/junk/Beware_The_Popamole.wma

Source: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-vampire-diaries.52868/#post-1433968

Ausir

Arcane
As I said in the other thread, I'd go with a band of crazies with Rocket Propelled Grenades (RPGs) called the Codex.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I hope this is going to be a "shrine" of some sort, as Fargo said.

But whatever kind of location it is, I suggest there should be a note on the door/above the entrance saying "Proving Grounds of the Dark Underlord". :P

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Well I wrote this in another thread,I will copy it here with some upgrades,I put a small quest in there too

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...rine-in-wasteland-2.70242/page-2#post-2000976

So in the ruined village of Codexia stands an ancient Cathedral.Inside you find a tribe of apparently retarded angry basement-dwelling man-children coming out of the various vault like basements of the Cathedral.Evey day they gather around the last remaining statue that looks suprisingly a bit like this :rpgcodex: and pray for the the second coming of The MCA that will lead them to the promised land.Ther leader who looks like this
index.php
asks to help them with a problem, a strange woman roams the village the last few days and he wants you to get rid of her.She doesn't seem dangerous but he has a bad feeling about her.You agree to look into the matter and search the village,​
You find the beautiful young woman and she tells you her story,she is being hunted by a ruthless hunter known only as The Slayer of Popamole,she was able to find a refuge here as she was running from him.She in turn asks for your help and promises to reward you appropriately (wink wink nudge nudge)if you kill him.You agree and set out after the man,you find and ask him to leave her alone,he calls you an idiot to fall for her and attacks you.After a brutal battle as you are about to kill him he explains why he is after her.She is not what she seems,she is not a woman but a tranny an Agent of the Popamole and Servant of the Decline that has dedicated her life to seduce and lead holy men into a life sin,her most famous victim was a man named Andhaira that she drove to madness,The Slayer had to put him down and now he hunts her through the wasteland,she only came here because she was attracted by the tribe of man children that live here and plans to braiwash them.Understanding your mistake you agree to help him kill her.After a 5 hour long battle yuo manage to defeat her with the help of the Slayer,who thanks you and leaves this place forever.​
You return to the leader and explain what happened,he thanks you since you saved them all from a terrible fate and as a reward he gives you a holy relic,an ancient weapon known only as The Torment said to be Forged by The MCA in ancient times.​
The end​
:mhd:
The idea for the temple with the tribe of Children belongs to Felipepepepepe and the Slayer of Popamole name is from Country Gravy:salute:

Morkar Left

Reading all this, I think what we really need is Codex: The RPG to put all memes into it.

In general I'm more for subtile things or a codex troll statue in a them park ruin (would remind me of the Liberty statue in Planet of the Apes, too).

SerratedBiz

Arcane
You'd think this would be a good opportunity for Codex masterminds to put their heads together and design a location / dungeon of some sort where their proud efforts towards meaningful C&C, good writing and encounter design are located. You know, show them developers how things are done by example.

Design by committee is an awful idea, however, and the shit-flinging that's likely to happen is much better suited towards building a place for the lulz.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You'd think this would be a good opportunity for Codex masterminds to put their heads together and design a location / dungeon of some sort where their proud efforts towards meaningful C&C, good writing and encounter design are located.

Funnily, I suggested exactly this in the secret staff forum, but it hasn't caught on. Too complicated, probably. Although we do have some indie devs and modders on the forum.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
The problem, as I see it, would be in adding enough talent to make development a possibility, not so many that it slows to a crawl as everyone puts it in their two cents and somehow keeping the trolls out.

Shannow

Waster of Time
You'd think this would be a good opportunity for Codex masterminds to put their heads together and design a location / dungeon of some sort where their proud efforts towards meaningful C&C, good writing and encounter design are located.

Funnily, I suggested exactly this in the secret staff forum, but it hasn't caught on. Too complicated, probably. Although we do have some indie devs and modders on the forum.
The problem is that we're not the inXile Wasteland 2 team. We have no idea what they want. Seems pretty pointless to pour lots of effort into designing quests, locations and writing dialogue only to be told: "We appreciate your work, but it doesn't fit with the rest of the game".
Which is why I favour suggesting less specific themes, etc which inXile can then pick through and choose what they like, and make that fit the game.

That being said, I might write a codex themed text adventure for the Codex item I suggested next week... Just for fun like. No pressure.

St. Toxic

Arcane
First I'd suggest we copy Tim Cain's stance on in-jokes in Fallout: Those who know it recognize it but it's not (too) out of place for people who don't.

Cleve's bunker would be a good location.

You'd think this would be a good opportunity for Codex masterminds to put their heads together and design a location / dungeon of some sort where their proud efforts towards meaningful C&C, good writing and encounter design are located. You know, show them developers how things are done by example.

Design by committee is an awful idea, however, and the shit-flinging that's likely to happen is much better suited towards building a place for the lulz.

Since this game is all about the ITS, not having Cleve in it would just be a damn shame. I want a fully functional bunker with all of our Codex favorites, their dialogs guest-written by Jimbob so that they are able to properly convey to the PC the truth of how the world really ended. It wouldn't even be fourth-wall breaking.

It wouldn't hurt discussing the possibility in depth. How far can we push it, what people like and dislike about the idea.

I'm thinking, a custom location, a good handful of npc's referencing to this community, a few static references on location and maybe a quest that doesn't leave the location. I'm pretty sure we'd be pushing it with a quest that has any impact on the rest of the gameworld, and as Shannow pointed out we'd possibly be interfering with their design.

And I'm pitching for a Cleve angled gd-theme, for a lot of reasons.

-ITS is all about post-apoc.
-It's an established community gag, with comics, short stories and tons of archive material.
-It would add to the game in a way that wouldn't interfere, just as per Cain's golden rule.
-It creates a good environment for a quick quest-line and static self-referential material.

I don't have a good grip on the characters involved, or I'd write up a prototype. But if people just pitch in on what they think, the Codex body could self-correct it until it fits. It's sort of in the spirit of the season, with everything becoming more and more self-regulated, might be worth a try.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Damn... and if we could get Cleve to write a couple of his special "real truth behind it all" articles it would be truly mind bending... imagine all those normals asking what the fuuuuuu? and running around in pure panic as ITS comes.

Also fully in support of the Cleve's bunker idea, willing to help out if the option's available :salute:

So, there's a good idea and there's some good news. I think Jimbob, who's done the comics, is a perfect candidate for writing up the preliminary setting involved. Everybody can pitch in about design specifics. And if we could get Cleve to pitch in with a few famous quips, that would make the cameo really quite something in terms of Codex lore.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast bunkers made of stone
Stand in the desart. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Neanderthal, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Manboons, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The character should be named either Jim Profit, or, if that is too obvious, something that sounds like "Jim Profit", like, for example, Jean Prophet, like Krash was suggesting earlier. S/he could be a Scottish martial artist wielding an RPG, just for good measure.

Ausir

Arcane
I'd say the character should be Saint Proverbius, but all you newfags probably don't even know who that is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom