Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suggest background based on selected stats and skills

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vault Dweller Have you considered implementing something like that in chargen? It could make the game easier for noobs, without actually dumbing it down.

You could also suggest several backgrounds, if there's more than one viable one. So it'd be something like "Based on the attributes and skills that you have chosen, we recommend you play the Assassin or Thief backgrounds." Etc.

(While you're doing that, you could also warn the player if his character build isn't good for ANY background. :smug: )

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Definitely do not follow this suggestion.

At most, take Infinitron's second idea, wherein the game suggests several backgrounds, but the player still makes the ultimate decision. Yet, the game already does this in part, because when you click on a profession it automatically sets the character stats to something suitable. The player is then free to mix it up if he or she wishes to do so.

Having the game automatically decide your background based on your stats would stifle the gameplay. No longer can you have an intelligent merc, or a rough and tough thief, etc.

My suggestion is that you revoke infinitron's copy of the game for having such a bad suggestion.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vault Dweller Have you considered implementing something like that in chargen? It could make the game easier for noobs, without actually dumbing it down.

You could also suggest several backgrounds, if there's more than one viable one. So it'd be something like "Based on the attributes and skills that you have chosen, we recommend you play the Assassin or Thief backgrounds." Etc.

(While you're doing that, you could also warn the player if his character build isn't good for ANY background. :smug: )
I brofisted this post just to brolapse it.
I mean, come on man.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I brofisted this post just to brolapse it.
I mean, come on man.

I can't believe you tards actually thought my intention was for the background to be FORCED on the player. For fuck's sake, Agesilaus is a well-known troll.

It would obviously be a suggested background.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm fairly certain VD doesn't give a shit about casual players.
The game should provide ample information for the player to make informed choices, not give suggestions or hold the players hand.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It would obviously be a suggested background.
Choose background automatically

Maybe your definition of automatic is different from mine.

au·to·mat·ic
ˌôtəˈmatik/
adjective
adjective: automatic
(of a device or process) working by itself with little or no direct human control.

"Choose background automatically" doesn't imply the player can't choose another one afterwards. Would you feel better if I changed the word to "select" or just "suggest"?

אנגלית שפה קשה

EDIT: There.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still superfluroidal superfluous, innit? I mean, doesn't feel justified to account for all the possible ranges of stat combinations that a player can come up with. That sounds like an unnecessary amount of work, moreso when the reverse is already in effect, and frankly, by the stage a player decides to work his own stats, he better know what he's getting into.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Clippy-AoD_zps52bd50df.png

The last option is a checkbox. That's right :smug:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Just add a big awesome button 'Predict the outcome of your stats' or something like that. It should say 'You'll die in the first fight' no matter which stats and skills you'll choose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom