Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

State of Decay

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
To add: the biggest 'hurdle' for me is the fact you have to wait 15ish minutes for the RV cleaning, 10ish minutes for the tire replacement, and 30ish minutes for the engine repair. Keep in mind you'll have gathered enough resources and influence to fix all of that within the first fifteen or so minutes of a level so over half the time is spent idling for no good reason. I usually just do the shorter things first and quit after I initiate the engine repair so it fixes 'offline.' Probably the thing that will push me to stop.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
To advance level after level just to increase the difficulty seems rather stupid.
Is there no way to enable difficulty increase right from the start? For Heroes there is such a mod, so I can play every one right away. It's called "Easy Hero Unlocker"

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Man up, bitch.

30D4BFB8F344846F49AD4A747663DBF234E1EC9B

Anyway, of course there are mods for it. You can tweak just about everything.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I spent more time on the first couple of levels to do the acheevos (the MANLY way). After you figure out where to find building materials and gas it takes all of thirty minutes to essentially complete a level. The rest, as mentioned, is just sitting around waiting for the RV repair timers.

Something like this might be what you're looking for as far as adjusting the difficulty.

Burning Bridges

Thanks, I already got most mods from this site, backpacks&pickups fix, npc use guns, and hero unlocker.

Burning Bridges

I got the RV repaired and can advance the game, I still got a question though: how can I determine what stuff from my locker gets carried over? I presume everything inside the locker is lost, and only the inventory of the 6 people chosen is kept?
So can I micromanage the 6 people I take and at least keep some rifles and ammo? Also: my large backpacks, I would want to lose that either.

Burning Bridges

From what I read elsewhere, everything is carried over? That would mean I have to destroy a lot of stuff actually, don't want all those clubs and shovels, it's already getting cluttered.

spectre

Arcane
Yep, I read somewhere that only a portion of the stuff was supposed to be carried over, but in practice it looks like everything in the stash goes with you. At least I don't recall losing any important stuff, all my guns, ammo and unique weapons were there, the rest didn't matter too much.
It's still good to load up some gear on your guys to have some influence to spend at the start of the next level.

By the way, do yourself a favor and don't dawdle too much on lower levels, unelss you're hunting for achievements (especially the ones that require lots of building),
the challenge gets really nice as you move up, to the point that you actually have plan your shit and avoid taking unnecessary risks, always silence your shots etc. (imo, I'm old people and I no longer have a young man's reflexes).

Last time I decided to get cocky around level 6 (Yeah, still getting all the achievements, I am also a chronic restarter), driving in a car with bummed left door, a feral dragged me out by the balls and ate me.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The stuff carrying over gets annoying. That and it seems like some stuff breeds like rabbits/gets produced with certain upgrades/buildings. Every few levels I have to empty the locker of petrol bombs and twinkies which is a pain in the ass since there's no delete function. You have to remove them for influence and either straight up destroy them and lose that influence or stick them in another enclave's locker.

Burning Bridges

Yeah I realized that would be a problem without even playing that far. I could destroy the stuff but that would cost tons of influence.
Giving to another enclave might work if you can somehow fit it into the schedule, i.e. have business with them.
6 or 7 items every time, that is :)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Sometimes you get lucky and there's an enclave that pops up right next door to one of the better home sites. Weapons also seems to spawn, too. I have dozens of wrenches and tire irons and axes and shit. Pretty pointless since it's easy to find them searching buildings and whatnot. Wish there was some mod to toggle that off or allow you to destroy things but I've yet to find one.

Burning Bridges

You don't carry influence points to the next level, so you might use whatever you have left to clear up, just before you enter the RV.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah but I'm usually fairly strapped for influence points as I do the bare minimum required to advance.

Burning Bridges

I can confirm that the persistency feature can be easily disabled with the system time. If the last game was saved yesterday at 20.00 I just set it to 21.00 or something, that's just two or three mouse clicks for me.
But I found out that when I mistakenly set a wrong month (like 29 August instead of 29 July), suddenly all my food was gone, dropped to zero asnd everyone was complaining about hunger. That means when you leave a savegame for a long time the game essentially resets some of your resources.
I make backups of the Steam folder so the game cannot fuck me with stupid features.

Burning Bridges

I ignore the RV, spend the time searching the map (there are many more resources than one would think), hand picking the most useful survivors and working on my defenses.
I estimate that this takes ca 2 weeks per level, so getting to level 20 would take 1 year of unemployment.
Of course I could grind the RV level after level after level, and get there in 1 week, but what's the point? If I wanted a difficulty increase I would get a mod, well, actually I want a difficulty increase but not as long as the map is still mostly unsearched.
The game gets repetitive anyway, if it is through searching one house after another or through grinding levels.
I have the most fun when I can do something at my own pace, let's say currently I have my camp in the fairgrounds and it was fun to clear out all the infestations in the area.
Once there is steady supply of petrol bombs and cars it is too easy of course.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Guess my marathon in Breakdown is over now that Lifeline DLC is 66% off for Steam's midweek madness.

Burning Bridges

But is it really as interesting as the original game? The idea of playing soldiers kind of ruins it.
What pulls me into the game is how great it is to have regular people and a well done map. Everything, cars, people and places are believable in the game, as it was envisioned before it became a hit.
I fear now with every DLC it will turn more mainstream.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If you didn't like the base game you won't like the DLC. As far as Lifeline specifically, it only took me about four or so hours to finish. It's very formulaic -- go find a survivor, bring them back to base, defend against a siege, repeat half a dozen times. Base building is pretty straight forward. Scavenging isn't needed and there isn't that much time for it. It's odd they went to the trouble of making this whole new map but you barely get to look around. It could use a Breakdown mode but I doubt they ever do it. Maybe in mods.

And, yes, it's arguably worse than the base game since the focus is on guns (you're handed a ton of good ones from the start and none of the characters are powerhouse or specialize in melee weapons). Sure you can level them up but, again, the DLC isn't long enough for you to bother with that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom