Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starflight games comparison

If you could only play one, which would you choose?

• Starflight 1, original 1986 PC release

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Starflight 1 mod for Starflight 2, 2006

• Starflight - The Lost Colony, 2010

• Starflight 3/KC

• Total voters

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Since there is a black hole in the genre of space sandboxes with interplanetary exploration and ship/crew management, I had to go back to the classics. Codex, which of these games should I play for ultimate Starflight experience?

1. Original PC release, 1986.

The only one I ever played, and it was ages ago. It was a fine experience, but today it seems to be the worst of them all in terms of visuals. They are very decent for 1986, tho.

Starport
atgxoq.jpg

Space
bewucl.png

Planet surface
nuuaoi.jpg

Xeno communicating
ormnyz.jpg

In terms of content, I have no idea. That's one of the main reasons for the thread. I've read some stuff about differences between versions, but it only confused me further. Ok, let's take this 1986 PC version as a basis, and compare the rest of Starflights with it.

2. Amiga release, 1989.

Well, it definitely looks better.

Starport
nqfqeu.jpg

Glorious SPACE
ojmatk.gif

Planet jazz
ewrfab.png

Talking to a tinhead
jsiohn.jpg

Some people complain about slow (as in delayed) menus that make the gameplay longer. If Amiga and PC versions have actual content differences, I don't know about them.

There were also releases for C64 and Atari, but they are fairly similiar to PC and Amiga versions. I'll just skip them.

3. Megadrive release/remake, 1991.

The game looks completely different, but its content is mostly the same.

Starport
laaqnr.jpg

Space
rpeilx.png

Planet
jzjcst.jpg

Talking
naodur.png

It doesn't just look better, men. It's genuinely beautiful. It blows my mind I missed the game back then, despite having Megadrive. The planets have day and night cycles, look different from different heights - it just adds up for the game's exploration aspect.

Check out 20 seconds of this, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

The bad news is the difference in content. While it is Starflight 1, it's not exactly a console port with graphic improvement. What saddens me the most, the planets became much smaller, to the point where they are no longer realistic. Sort of like Prospector, where all planets are more like asteroids in terms of size.

On a positive side of things, some content had been added. Namely, some planets that can be recommended for colonization.

Full list of differences, taken from MD version wiki page:

Differences with the Sega Genesis version (compared to PC version)
Of course, with the difference of several years in between the PC and Genesis versions being released, there are going to be several additions as it is, like with music while in the Starport (there wasn't any in the original), more sound effects and voice synthesis, for example.

However, several things were eliminated, such as how the player can't name planets once they're recommended. There is no "cruise control" when traveling through space (since this was sped up greatly on this version). Due to there being no copy protection for a cartridge, the Interstel cops were taken out, the Arth bank is gone (there's just a balance shown during all money transactions, and that's it), there is no log to keep if the player wishes, the spaceship movement record before and/or after an alien encounter also no longer exists, and on the PC version is a ship that looks like the starship Enterprise from the Star Trek tv series and movies in an area of the game, but it is nowhere to be found in this version.

Most of the other changes were minor as well. When the player starts a new game, the name they give for the game file will automatically be the ship's captain for that game; there is no extra crew member file that will have to be created for this position. The player can also save two games, rather than just the one on the original.

Rather than being in a somewhat 3-D presentation, Starport is now just a flat, side-scrolling hallway, with icons on doors representing a function (like the spaceship icon is so the player can have their spaceship repaired and/or have things purchased for it, as well as their TV). The player can also choose text speed as a function while in this hallway, along with turning music and/or voice synthesis off and doing a sound test as well, plus the player can quickly skip to the docking bay (by pressing the C button on the controller) and launch their ship (assuming it's ready) by pressing the A button, rather than having to enter a code and endure the countdown on the PC original.

Also while in Starport, there are many new weapons for the ship (rather than just the two on the PC original), the player starts off a game with 50,000 m. u.s rather than 12,000, and there are now several upgrades for the TV; originally all it had was a Flat Device, whereas here some things have to be bought, like pontoons, or else it could sink, resulting in the onboard crew members to drown and die, which would end the game then (which the TV would automatically go over any planetary surface on the original). All messages can be read now in the Notices section, rather than only the few last previous ones that were posted at any given time on the PC version.

While in outer space, the player can access the Starmap at any time, even in a solar system (this could only be done in hyperspace on the original), and commands are quicker, as with just the press of a button will bring up a menu (which the C button is used to close out a dialog box, like after being told that your ship was scanned), rather than having to hit the keyboard, choose Captain and then go from there for most functions in general.

There are also some additional planets that can be recommended that weren't on the original, and the player can't get "lost" with no matter how poorly trained their navigator is when they hit a flux; the player's location is instantly shown on the Starmap the moment they exit a flux, rather than taking many seconds before the Navigator can figure out where they are (note: on the original version, the screen display would be screwed up for many seconds, with a message appearing saying that their position can't be found). The fluxes are also much easier to spot as well.

The engineer is now in charge of cargo this time around, rather than the captain, and other functions have been changed, like with how artifacts don't have to be brought to Starport before finding out what they do, along with paying a fee for that as well, unlike with the original version. The doctor can also cure patients way faster than on the original.

Also while in space, the player can just fly over a solar system, and can enter it by pressing the A button on their controller, rather than physically running into it to enter the system as the original required. Planets also have to be orbited in order to scan them or land, as the player's ship drifts around, rather than starting and stopping on a dime (with no drift) than on the PC original. Planets are also proportionally way smaller than on the original, as in some cases the player can land on a small planet, launch the TV, start moving north and make it's way back to the ship from the south without running out of fuel, which no planet on the original was that small!

Also, landing on a planet is not automatic this time around; the player has to press the A button to activate thrust and prevent their ship from crashing down on the surface and causing damage. They can also skim around on the surface and decide on another place to land if they wish, rather than landing, launching, and choosing another site to land on again while in orbit as on the original. Disembarking the TV is also instantaneous, as there is no "hull integrity check" message to wait for or anything, and rather than messages telling of the weather conditions on the surface, the entire screen will shake if there's an earthquake, tornadoes will form if the weather is really bad, along with the TV being blown around as well, plus the player can dig their TV into the ground for protection while waiting for a storm to pass as well if they wish, as there was no dig command on the original.

The player also has to dig with their TV this time around in order to find most of the minerals, as there is an onboard scanner to show where the minerals are underground, rather than just relying on finding outcropping icons with the original. Unfortunately the player has to blindly pick up minerals, since there is no Scan or Look commands to determine what the minerals are before collecting them, unlike with the original. A rescue ship will save everyone if the TV runs out of fuel as well, rather than having the crew walk back to the ship if this happens like on the PC version (while becoming injured and/or dying in the process).

Flying/floating life forms can be caught this time around as well, although it is usually difficult to do so, and the TV's only weapon is a stunner (or a Wide Angle one that shoots in three directions at once if purchased from Starport). Life forms are also totally different this time around, no vegetation (foliage life forms and all) can be picked up, and it is also very unlikely that the crew will be damaged by creatures attacking the TV, since it has armor this time around, which it takes quite a beating before any crew member lives become jeopardized. The player can also capture and sell as many duplicate specimen as they wish, as there was a limit on the original, forbidding the player to keep on capturing and selling the same species over and over again.

Also on planetside, various surfaces will slow down the TV (the TV would just move at one speed on the original, no matter what the surface), and there is almost no Endurium to be found at all (it's much more common in the original version), there are hardly any ruins, almost no messages to be found in ruins either, and rather than a bunch of trinkets scattered in planets all over the galaxy, there are only a few main artifacts to be found this time around (no "Wee Green Blobbie" and all like on the PC version). There is also no list of Icons as part of the menu at the bottom of the screen that the player can look at to see what the various game icons mean while on planetside.

As far as communicating with aliens goes, they are harder to get out of this time around, since, even if the aliens terminate the conversation, they won't leave immediately: if the player tries to fly off, usually they will keep up with the player's ship until they finally go their separate ways after a while. (It's usually a good idea to just wait until they fly off by themselves once communications are terminated before the player resumes piloting their ship.)

There is also a full cinematic ending when the game is won, showing the player's ship entering Starport with waving, greeting astronauts, and a Velox presents the player with the highest award possible, unlike with the original where a short musical piece is played and the player receives a medal, and that's it.

And in a few final random notes, the message from the Mysterions was changed, the player can orbit a sun in a solar system, Arth is represented as a space station, rather than a generic planet when the player returns to it, the Uhlek territory has been expanded to the upper right corner of the Upspin/Coreward area of the galaxy (which isn't shown on the printed, included Starmap, but Uhlek ships will be found there though if the player visits that area), the game runs smoother and quicker/less "clunky" than the original, some of the major artifacts behave differently this time around and there is no glitch any more saying someone is still being treated by the doctor, even if they were already healed on the original.

It is also debatable that the shields are glitchy, as people have noted that they can have class four shields, get banged up during a fight, then their shields have gone down a class, or even more than that. It could be they were specifically designed that way with this update, since the player is originally granted over four times as much money at the beginning than with the original. Glitch or not though, it's still a difference between the two versions.

Bottom line, there is a price to pay for pretty looks. Anybody here played MD version?

4. Starflight 2.

Yes, yes, I know it's supposed to be a different game entirely. But is it, though? Never played it myself, but people treat Starflight 2 as basically the same game with minimal cosmetic improvements. Most noticable are better visuals of NPC portraits and extended Universe (which was ridiculously vast in the original anyway).

Same as Starflight 1, second part was released on PC and Amiga, with some visual differences.

Starport
bzxrww.jpg

Planet
xapobj.png

Mouth flapping
ingukc.png

The question is, am I missing anything essential if I skip the first part and start from the second?

5. Starflight 1 mod for Starflight 2.

It's the first part of the game running on the engine of the second one. I don't even. Look for yourselves.

6. Starflight - The Lost Colony, 2010.

Basically, Starflight for casuls. It uses a lot of core mechanics of original and features fancy graphics, but apparently a ton of content was simply cut out. I don't intend to play this one, but had to mention it regardless.

Starflight - The Lost Colony is a sci-fi adventure game for a single player with space exploration, character development, alien races to encounter, and an engrossing storyline that unfolds as the player gradually explores the galaxy. The Lost Colony is based on two previous games from Electronic Arts: Starflight (1986) and the sequel, Starflight II: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula (1988).

Starflight features free-roaming gameplay that spans hundreds of star systems and numerous alien races. A compelling storyline pits the player against a vast enemy endangering all life in the galaxy. Hundreds of unique planetary systems filled with planets and asteroids that can be landed on and explored in real time. Players will interact with lifeforms (some hostile!) and mine minerals in order to raise capital for ship upgrades and fuel.

Choose from among three professions (Military, Science, Freelance). Upgrade your ship with new technology. Hire and train a crew. Encounter alien races–and when diplomacy fails, engage in real-time capital ship combat. The combat simulation takes place in real time, with some realism and arcade-style fun combined for a balanced gameplay. Powerups and debris from destroyed alien ships can be picked up by the player.

A series of training missions first introduces the player to the story that unfolds as the player completes missions and interacts with alien cultures. A complex quest system then takes the player into the home system to explore planets, and then out into deep space to explore other star systems and meet and interact with other alien races. As the plot develops multiple progressive galaxy wide shifts take place changing the dialogue and interactions with alien races on a fundamental level.

Continues the gameplay tradition of the original games in the series: Starflight and Starflight II : Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula. The original gameplay has been largely preserved with modifications to meet the expectations of modern gamers. The Lost Colony takes place in parallel with the original Starflight time period, but in a different part of the galaxy. See the Opening Story for historical perspective and tie-in.
This project was developed over a period of several years in C++ with Allegro 4.2. It was intended to be released as freeware from the beginning (with approval from original Starflight creator, Rod McConnell). Early design work began in late 2006 with a small group of fans who developed early prototypes and concepts for about a year in their spare time. In late 2007, a group of UAT students gave the game a boost as an internship project and demonstrated it at GDC in early 2008, but it still had a long ways to go! By late 2008, script code brought the plot to life with more realistic alien encounters and a new quest system was added. In 2009, the engine and scripts were mostly finished and the game was submitted to IGF (but was not chosen as a finalist). By mid 2010, the last beta was released.
Starport
yflzoy.jpg

Space
dquqdt.jpg

Planet
zhpbcz.jpg

Creeper
hambzp.jpg

Finally, there's also unborn Starflight 3 that is kinda being developed, but not really.

And that covers it. So which one is better and why? inb4 Star Control 2

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Starflight 1, Amiga version. Not only are the audiovisuals much better, but so is the UI.
Also, it's more exciting to explore the galaxy in SF1 than in SF2. SF2 was more streamlined, though, but also felt like a shorter game.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Starflight and Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday where the two games I played most on my old megadrive. Loved those games. They basically were what started my love for rpg's. Darklands, Fallout, Dark Sun all followed much later.

So yeah, the megadrive version. Nosalgia bro.

Lunac

Arcane
Genesis version for me and I'm still replaying it via the wonders of emulators (save state file shows I haven't touched it since early 2014 though). That said, I might have done the PC version in 90s... but that was decades ago.... and I might be thinking of Star Control anyways. Genesis version is a massive time sink, in a good way.

Morkar Left

The genesis version seemed pretty cool but I got turned off by not having an extra captain char and I read that combat will despite winning always result in a net loss for you because the loot is botched. Can somebody confirm this who has played through the genesis version long enough? Lunac?

ultimanecat

Arcane
The Genesis version is what introduced me to the series years ago, and it remains my favorite, but yeah, combat isn't great and the rewards for fighting often aren't worth the trouble. I've got some save states myself from a year or two back, but even 20+ years ago I figured out that combat can mostly be negated by flying directly away whenever it begins; the AI can't effectively lead its shots so you can fly around even in deep Uhlek space with impunity if you want.

Edit: assuming you can outrun them, that is, but improving your engines to max should be your highest priority anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom