Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stardock's last chance... Elemental: Fallen Enchantress released

KoolNoodles

Arcane
The last good game in this vein is still Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. MAYBE the new Age of Wonders will be good, who knows....

flushfire

Augur
its the same game
I read in the MotBW thread that it has less grind though?
The last good game in this vein is still Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. MAYBE the new Age of Wonders will be good, who knows....
Yeah, I just kinda got burned out on it and Civ4... Tried Warlock, for some reason I can't get into it. Was hoping maybe AI patches/Legendary Heroes made this game worth playing at least once.

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, I just kinda got burned out on it and Civ4... Tried Warlock, for some reason I can't get into it. Was hoping maybe AI patches/Legendary Heroes made this game worth playing at least once.
Kinda depends on if you're spending money on it or not. If you're not removing from inventory then go for it. I don't think it's particularly good, but all you'd lose is some time if you end up disliking it and it's theoretically possible that someone could enjoy it. If you're spending money to look at it then I'd say no.

You'd largely be better off with Eador, but it's a bit different since it's a mega-campaign with whole games being part of it. LH is more like Civ in that each game is self contained, only LH is shittier. First game or two might keep you entertained until you start getting repeating quests/events (Buy the quest pack DLC to improve this! Released one week after the expansion! -Brad Wardell) and/or realize how stupid the AI is and/or get sick of the half-assed hero implementation (Get XP from quests and get fuck-all XP from battles, take for fucking ever to level up and they're dull as hell while they're doing it) and/or sit there dumbstruck when you realize that one of the victory conditions is researched in the middle of the magic tree and requires building a few towers and then you win, as opposed to every single other victory which requires more effort.

Fucking Stardock.

Edit: Just checked and apparently the quest DLC still hasn't been not-removed from any inventories. Not only that, the pirates don't give enough of a shit to keep the game up to date on ANY patches. To give you comparison, indie as fuck games like Drox Operative made by one man have enough piracy interest to at least partially maintain patch updates.
:excellent:

whatevername

Arcane
Is this game still in alpha?

I only played FE:LH as a summoner on insane monsters/insane "AI" with slow progression so I can't speak about the rest of the settings. Building anything is useless. Spend 5 turns building and get +1 to mana per turn? But wait, why should I care about mana when i have 1152 of it at turn 58?

Other than training noob units early in the game they are useless since they are too slow or take forever to train when you give them horses and items.
By the way you don't have to research any item tech, just go inside someone's borders and buy whatever they have, even the horses lol.

So as I was grinding mobs, 1 of the so-called "AI" wardecced me due to low faction score or something. I had 2 heroes with 2 air elementals, 1 town, 2 buildings in it, 3 researched techs and about 10 slaves. Several turns later I conquered its 5 towns with my 2 heroes who just summon a bunch of shit. If there was a hint of AI, it could've went for my heroes with a 5x stronger army instead of fighting fodder skeletons and running back and forth in tactical combat.

There is no point in finishing this map since it'll be just a grind and I know everyone will get steamrolled.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Yeah, I'm watching GetDaved let's play it and hero magic doesn't seem balanced. AI so far seems weak (wandering creatures hardly use the flank mechanic and rarely focus fire, for instance).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Kinda wonder why he didn't hired me as part time worker few years ago. It would look better. There are too glaring flaws by design which they probably didn't wanted to solve, but...

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
In addition, we expect to announce the third game in the Elemental fantasy universe this year. It will be dramatically different from War of Magic or Fallen Enchantress
hahahaohwow.jpg, another shitty addon sold as full game:lol:

sser

Arcane
Developer
I actually think those changes are putting Elemental in the right direction. They're obviously watching Warlock and a soon to be Warlock 2 and new Age of Wonders blowing past them.

It is amazing how deep they've gotten into Elemental when it's been a fundamentally busted up game from the start.

Monocause

Arcane
FE with Legendary Heroes is actually half decent, I enjoy playing it while waiting for Warlock 2 (which I'm sure will be superior). There's quite a few good concepts there, and I admire the ambition they had with making all the mechanics work together.

I find that the game's biggest current issues are pacing and balance. With pacing, it just seems to stagnate in the early mid-game (end-game can get surprisingly brutal though as the AI can be surprisingly apt in fucking you up). With balance, there's some obvious OP and UP combos. Amarr racial + quick + other bonuses, for example, can result in units with insanely high initiative. On the other hand, Tarth sucks as a nation and Tarth racial is useful only for a small part of the game (late early game-early mid game) and even then it's pretty pitiful. You can't really design units or build armies around a limit of three units per stack :(. Another problem is that the AI tries to 'capitalise' on Tarth's bonus, and fails cause it can't really be done. This results in Tarth being the whipping boy in every single game I've seen them in so far.

PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are excellent platforms

You wouldn’t know it yet, but both of the new game consoles are outstanding. Having 64-bit memory access and 8GB of workable memory is huge.

While the Xbox One is currently a little disappointing in the hardware area, Microsoft will be delivering DirectX 12 to it shortly (hopefully before next year’s report) which should result in the two consoles being visually identical. This will be the first generation of consoles that we target with new games.

I could write an entire paper singing the technical praises of these two platforms. This generation of consoles are the first to be interesting to us as a potential target platform to develop for.
Galactic Civilizations 3 Revolution
:negative:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Frogboy Your employer can sue you for violation of NDA. That wasn't smart to talk about what would be happening in next year without direct written permission of owner of your company.

Imagine what he would do when he would have problems because people would throw stones on him half year sooner.

whatevername

Arcane
Frogboy Your employer can sue you for violation of NDA. That wasn't smart to talk about what would be happening in next year without direct written permission of owner of your company.

Imagine what he would do when he would have problems because people would throw stones on him half year sooner.
That's nothing compared to harassment lawsuits

so meh not even the guy of fall from heaven 2 managed to save it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom