Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stardock Wants to Remake Star Control and Master of Orion

z3r'0'

Liturgist
In short. Brad Wardell, of Stardock fame... SotSE, GalCiv2, is quoted from a Gamasutra interview. He hopes to create remakes of Star Control and Master of Orion. Maybe even a BG2-like iso rpg. Seems licensing would be the biggest issue.
This is great news, especially if anything tangible comes of it. Seeing as they are already busy with a Masters of magic remake/clone. Here's to hoping.

LINK:Stardock Wants to Remake Star Control and Master of Orion[/url]

Balor

Arcane
Hmm, there IS already SC2 remake - Ur-Quan masters.
Or he means something with modern graphics?
Hopefully, not with modern gameplay.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
the problem with a game based on sc is that sc1 was shit without story, stardock currently lacks the writing talent to pull off a proper sc2 revival, and the universe does neither need, nor want something based on star control 3.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
While I would give anything for a proper remake of Star Control 2 - Ur Quan Masters (look at my avatar - guess where that's from) I am a bit worried about Stardock making it.

Why? Because Galciv 2 ISN'T FUN. And I don't see why they would remake MOO, because Galciv is already MOO-like, without the fun of MOO 1/2.

Whatever they or anyone else does, DON'T FUCK WITH THE GAMEPLAY of Star Control 2. The planetary mining stuff can go, or be redone, but other than that it a perfect game. I would like to see a randomised universe for SC2 (would be hard due to the way the game unfolds), as well as modern graphics, but the core story and gameplay are pretty close to the best of its kind, ever. :cool:

z3r'0'

Liturgist
baby arm said:
This was even more interesting when it came out three months ago.
Damn. I knew it. Just coudn't be arsed to use the search function.

Still interesting. I mean if they went the SC2 route and just updated it for modern OS and PC. Something kind of like SR2, awesomesauce.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Zhuangzi said:
Why? Because Galciv 2 ISN'T FUN. And I don't see why they would remake MOO, because Galciv is already MOO-like, without the fun of MOO 1/2.
You do know that recent GalCivs are remakes of older GalCivs back from '90s (better remakes btw), right?

DON'T FUCK WITH THE GAMEPLAY of Star Control 2.
No. Fuck with Star Control 2 gameplay. NES arcades' style combat is terrible.

Liberal

Barely Literate
GalCiv has perfect gameplay but lacks a sense of humor. A galactic strategy game isn't complete without some self-irony, Robert Sheckley style.

I found the technical aspects of Galactic Civilizations 2 to be very strong. I thought the game was very clean, very precise, very clinical. And also very cold. I guess it just seems to lack much of a heart and soul. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Admittedly, I only played it for a couple hours, so maybe it got better. I just couldn't get myself to keep going past that point.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Flux_Capacitor said:
I found the technical aspects of Galactic Civilizations 2 to be very strong. I thought the game was very clean, very precise, very clinical. And also very cold. I guess it just seems to lack much of a heart and soul. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Admittedly, I only played it for a couple hours, so maybe it got better. I just couldn't get myself to keep going past that point.

This is exactly why I don't want Stardock going near Star Control 2. It's just not a fun experience to play. There is no sense of exploration, of interesting things to discover. None. It is just an economic simulator. I played it for 30-40 hours, then played the first expansion for maybe 10 hours only. Now I can't even load it up without wanting to quit.

Star Control 2, despite its 'arcade NES combat,' is probably in the top five space adventure games ever. Sure, the combat could be improved somewhat for a modern remake, but the races, dialogue and story arc are unsurpassed.

waywardOne

Arcane
never played moo. enjoyed moo2 for about 4 years and then never touched it again. other than multiplayer, i can't see myself getting too excited over this. my days of extreme empire micro-management are far behind me.

edit: i just realized i got sloppy seconds on this corpse.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Stardock sucks.
All their games are soulless turds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom