Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void

mastroego

Arcane
Well guys thanks for all the suggestions.
I finally decided to go for it and I bought WoL and HotS, both were on sale, 9.99$ each.
It's enough for now, especially since I've been reading amazing things about the fan-made "remake" of SC1 and, strangely enough, I got an urge to try that one more than the new game.
And apparently it requires the latest HotS to run, so I should (?) be good.

I probably would have gotten away even with buying only HotS standalone for 10$, but it seemed stupid to leave the first chapter out.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Let me know what you think of WoL. I am interested to hear a fresh opinion on it.

WoL is cheesy, but it is far more fitting than HotS and LotV in my opinion. Also, I think Brutal mode is far more interesting in WoL, since the units and powers are far more tame.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
WoL is cheesy, but it is far more fitting than HotS and LotV in my opinion. Also, I think Brutal mode is far more interesting in WoL, since the units and powers are far more tame.
The main problem is that you can win 90% of brutal missions by spamming marines and medics. This is in fact often more effective than anything else you might do (although on defense missions you'll want a few siege tanks too).

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
The main problem is that you can win 90% of brutal missions by spamming marines and medics. This is in fact often more effective than anything else you might do (although on defense missions you'll want a few siege tanks too).
Definitely, but I still find that more entertaining then Kerrigan soloing armies, or the Protoss death balling the map. At least with marines/medic, you have to be semi-conscious at times.

Protoss lategame SoA stuff is even more OP than Kerrigan was. Fenix can basically solo anything other the main enemy bases, where he can still tank forever while you decimate them with no losses (I think he soaks up like 2k worth of damage once you factor in his abilities and armor). Then you get carriers that can repair mechanical units + the ability that turns any unit invulnerable before dying so you can run it away and repair it and its kind of a joke.

The penultimate mission was so laughably non-challenging that I couldn't believe Blizzard didn't have a mid-mission twist to mess players up. Last mission was pretty hard though, mostly because defending on three sides is the opposite of what the protoss death ball is supposed to do. Turns into a (quite difficult) exercise of defense structure spamming. Kind of amusing that they specifically take away your SoA powers on the hardest map in the game.

I did really like the hero-only missions, especially the 2nd.

Overall I'd say WoL > LotV > HotS. WoL had a more consistently decently-challenging difficulty, more open-ended mission structure, and no stupid OP special abilities everywhere, just unit upgrades. LotV has probably the best difficulty in the early levels but quickly goes to shit for the final 2/3rds until the last mission, and the linear plot is completely aimless most of the time (WoL's was too, but being non-linear made it more bearable). HotS ranks lowest because it shits the hardest over any semblance of a plot along with being worse in almost every other way.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I agree that the first 1/3 of LotV had the best difficulty. Once you got Fenix, it often became an issue of clean up.

Once aspect of WoL I really enjoyed was the mission choices for the last level. The difference between fighting all ground units or a mix of air and ground made a huge difference in stress management. Another reason I liked WoL, is all the funky unit combos you could get away with. Marine/medic could do the job, but you could also add units such as the spectre for fun.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Protoss lategame SoA stuff is even more OP than Kerrigan was. Fenix can basically solo anything other the main enemy bases, where he can still tank forever while you decimate them with no losses (I think he soaks up like 2k worth of damage once you factor in his abilities and armor). Then you get carriers that can repair mechanical units + the ability that turns any unit invulnerable before dying so you can run it away and repair it and its kind of a joke.

The penultimate mission was so laughably non-challenging that I couldn't believe Blizzard didn't have a mid-mission twist to mess players up. Last mission was pretty hard though, mostly because defending on three sides is the opposite of what the protoss death ball is supposed to do. Turns into a (quite difficult) exercise of defense structure spamming. Kind of amusing that they specifically take away your SoA powers on the hardest map in the game.

I did really like the hero-only missions, especially the 2nd.

Overall I'd say WoL > LotV > HotS. WoL had a more consistently decently-challenging difficulty, more open-ended mission structure, and no stupid OP special abilities everywhere, just unit upgrades. LotV has probably the best difficulty in the early levels but quickly goes to shit for the final 2/3rds until the last mission, and the linear plot is completely aimless most of the time (WoL's was too, but being non-linear made it more bearable). HotS ranks lowest because it shits the hardest over any semblance of a plot along with being worse in almost every other way.
I found epilogue mission with defending Kerrigan hardest but only because I didn't figure out in time you need to use her attack all the time to help defend. Also as a Zerg player that just spent 20 missions playing as protoss suddenly I get to control Terrans and it is hectic from minute 1.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Honestly, I also found that mission difficult until I realized it did not really matter if I spammed her ability. I kept trying to minimize my use of it. Otherwise, spamming siege tank, turrets, and Planetary Fortresses worked wonders.

Wolfe

Arbiter
Starcraft II was always in a permanent conflict between its amazing gameplay and its average story up to the end. The story’s conclusion doesn’t come near to its origins quality, but does put the last pieces of the puzzle together in a matter that favors closure above narrative quality having the fans reconciled. And as before, Legacy of the Void makes up for a lot of its sins through great production value that only a few AAA studios can and want to pull off.
The story is just a part of Starcraft (how big is that part is up for you to decide), the other component is what made this series so popular, the multiplayer, which is now as good and competitive as ever but freshened up by this expansion release and ready for new tournaments and e-sports madness.
Real time strategies are a dying breed and their final moment might be getting closer with Starcraft II reaching its end. The future is uncertain for this genre, but maybe learning from mistakes while still using this clearly successful recipe, Blizzard Entertainment will listen to the fans and revive one of this genre’s glorious franchises that is now astray between a movie and MMO expansions: Warcraft (4)!

My thoughts about LotV: http://thegameslashers.blogspot.ro/2015/12/starcraft-ii-legacy-of-void-review.html

kris

Arcane
Starcraft II was always in a permanent conflict between its amazing gameplay and its average story up to the end. The story’s conclusion doesn’t come near to its origins quality, but does put the last pieces of the puzzle together in a matter that favors closure above narrative quality having the fans reconciled. And as before, Legacy of the Void makes up for a lot of its sins through great production value that only a few AAA studios can and want to pull off.
The story is just a part of Starcraft (how big is that part is up for you to decide), the other component is what made this series so popular, the multiplayer, which is now as good and competitive as ever but freshened up by this expansion release and ready for new tournaments and e-sports madness.
Real time strategies are a dying breed and their final moment might be getting closer with Starcraft II reaching its end. The future is uncertain for this genre, but maybe learning from mistakes while still using this clearly successful recipe, Blizzard Entertainment will listen to the fans and revive one of this genre’s glorious franchises that is now astray between a movie and MMO expansions: Warcraft (4)!

My thoughts about LotV: http://thegameslashers.blogspot.ro/2015/12/starcraft-ii-legacy-of-void-review.html

Amazing gameplay. Must build Void rays.

mastroego

Arcane
Let me know what you think of WoL. I am interested to hear a fresh opinion on it.
I will unless I figure out how to install that Mass Recall mod. Can't help it, must be the nostalgia, the idea to replay the original missions with a new engine is doing strange things here, it might be what pushed me to buy despite the online requirements (I think I've even swore they'd never have me :oops: )
Actually, I must also figure out how to run that Cheat Engine thing for my single players game without anyone from Blizzard getting angry for no reason...

ArchAngel

Arcane
I will unless I figure out how to install that Mass Recall mod. Can't help it, must be the nostalgia, the idea to replay the original missions with a new engine is doing strange things here, it might be what pushed me to buy despite the online requirements (I think I've even swore they'd never have me :oops: )
Actually, I must also figure out how to run that Cheat Engine thing for my single players game without anyone from Blizzard getting angry for no reason...
If that mod is an arcade map, you probably didn't even need to buy the game, starter edition of the game downloads all data and gives you access to Arcade and new Co-op Commanders.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Last LotV mission on brutal is difficult, until you discover that:

Karax's super fast build speed aura is still present and it works on allies. Park a stargate right next to him, spam corsairs and later carriers, massive drop in difficulty. Then it is just a matter of dumping minerals into photon cannon/pylon/shield battery walls.

there's something weird about units movement compared to sc1

The pathfinding is not utterly retarded? Well that and units can push other units, that I find a bit annoying.

mastroego

Arcane
If that mod is an arcade map, you probably didn't even need to buy the game, starter edition of the game downloads all data and gives you access to Arcade and new Co-op Commanders.
Oh, I guess next time then :D
Well, it's not like I'm opposed to playing the official campaign too... ;)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Karax's super fast build speed aura is still present and it works on allies. Park a stargate right next to him, spam corsairs and later carriers, massive drop in difficulty. Then it is just a matter of dumping minerals into photon cannon/pylon/shield battery walls.

The pathfinding is not utterly retarded? Well that and units can push other units, that I find a bit annoying.
I actually had almost no difficulties with final Lotv mission. I just expanded immediately and built a pretty balanced force of zealots, dragoons, void rays and collosi at each ramp.

The epilogue missions though... they're tough.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

No, a swarm of units move in synchrous motion making it look unrealistic, in sc 1 a swarm of units did not move together making it more realistic which was pleasant to look at, maybe for online gaming aspect it is better now but in sc1 it looked better in motion.

mastroego

Arcane
I managed to put everything in place.
Game is fully installed, Mass Recall mod installed as well and functioning.
So, I've done some Google research about Cheat Engine and it definitely seems that even using it for Single Player only would lead to a ban.
[I'm just avoiding personal comments here].

So how do you guys do it?
I just need those speed-keys assignments, nothing else, but I certainly don't plan on getting banned...
Thanks again for any help, I know I'm getting annoying...

ArchAngel

Arcane
Create a new starter account on Battlenet. Try to see if you can play this campaign with that. Then use this cheat engine. If they ban this account, nothing was lost.

Or crack your Sc2, it is than played with default account Off Line. Blizzard does not check anything.
You can even play all 3 sc2 campaigns, but you will not get any achievements.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

Damn,I never noticed that,I might replay that mission just for the lulz

mastroego

Arcane
Create a new starter account on Battlenet. Try to see if you can play this campaign with that. Then use this cheat engine. If they ban this account, nothing was lost.

Or crack your Sc2, it is than played with default account Off Line. Blizzard does not check anything.
You can even play all 3 sc2 campaigns, but you will not get any achievements.
A simple thing like blocking the program through firewall wouldn't work?

Damn it, why do I have to do shit like this, I have a freakin' legit copy and want ONLY to play in SP.
:negative:
Thanks for the suggestions though, I'll see what I can try...

Azarkon

Arcane
I have finally finished LoTV, and uninstalled the game immediately after.

Gameplay-wise, I think the campaign was fine, and did its best to keep the player on their toes. I did get tired of the whole "kill/conquer/secure N objects/places/monsters" formula that is every mission, but that's the standard with Blizzard these days, and the as mechanics in the missions themselves did vary and were unique, I'd say they did a decent job with mission design.

The plot, on the other hand...

Story spoilers follow. You've been warned.

Remember how I said the campaign started off fine? Well, it did... But quickly degenerated into a walking pile of cliche towards the end, with the Protoss screaming "FREEEDOOOMMM!!!!!" and me wondering how this group of xenophobic, genocidal "Others" could, under Artanis's leadership, become the equivalent of Mel Gibson's Scots in the space of two expansions. It is difficult to separate the Protoss, at the end of the Legacy of the Void, from any generic group of idealized protagonists fighting for freedom against oppression and that, to me, is the actual Legacy of Chris Metzen's Void. The way the Protoss ended, they're basically no longer Protoss, but just another group of peace-loving humans who's liable to get rid of the caste system and establish democracy.

The "Kerrigan, the Lifetime Show Finale" that is the epilogue is full of ridiculous plot developments. Sure, it wrapped up the story line between Raynor and Kerrigan, but at the same time, it also cemented that story line as the center piece melodrama of Starcraft II, thereby showing that, in the end, Starcraft II was just a round-about way for Kerrigan and Raynor to get back together. The amount of cringe-worthy idiocy in Amon being a giant space god is topped only by Tassadar being another giant space god, which then completely undermines his sacrifice in the original Starcraft as it was just another act in his eternal war against Amon. It also makes his second sacrifice to make Kerrigan a naked space woman all the less moving because it was done in the space of seconds after discovering he was "still alive..."

The new characters were all forgettable stock characters, with the single exception of Alarak who is decently presented as a ruthless douchebag, but still just as cliche.

All in all, Legacy of the Void ends Starcraft II the way it ought to have begun: having never been made.

Last edited:

Azarkon

Arcane

From what I understood, Space Squid Jeebus only impersonated the ghost of Tassadar. The real guy is dead.

Could be, his dialogue was among the slowest in the game so I sort of fast read it. I thought it was Tassadar because Artanis bent the knee when he died, though, but in retrospect Artanis was just showing respect to all Xel'Naga.

Azarkon

Arcane
I found the source quote for this:

Ouros:

Tassadar - a form I chose to inspire action in the one called Zeratul, in you. The prophecy as Zeratul followed, a result of my psionic extension into the minds of primitive beings.

It's capable of being read both ways, actually, as Tassadar's actions were also inspirational for Zeratul and Artanis in Starcraft I. However, given that this is current Blizzard, I'm pretty sure it only referred to the appearances of Tassadar as a ghost, which I've forgotten about even in the previous campaigns. So basically, Ouros was behind the entire prophecy; the rest of you were just his pawns to stop Amon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom