Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

StarCraft: Remastered

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Though to be fair, BW desperately needs the ability to reassign hotkeys, which thankfully the remastered will be giving us.

Can already be done on the freely available PTR version.

Daaaaaamn. Apparently not anymore. They've removed it from the PTR. Hopefully it's just because it was causing bugs or something and not a "You want hotkey remapping? Gotta by the Remastered version, assholes!"

The rest makes sense. BW's approach to casting in particular. Forget to deselect your Templars and suddenly you're dropping six Storms on that pack of Zerglings.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
There's something about the old graphics I just like more. I suspect it is mostly conservatism and nostalgia, but the rational part of my brain says: (1) the higher resolution has gotten rid of a lot of the (perhaps unintended?) grit and shabbiness implied in the old art -- even the Protoss structures and units used to have a faintly grimy quality to them, like they had gotten tarnished and dirty in the Protoss's senescence; (2) part of what made the old sprites so technically impressive was how much they conveyed in so few pixels, and you lose that with the higher resolution; and (3) in a few instances, some things looked better with less detail, such as the firebat's shoulder/neck/head region (IMO).

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Ghost and WC: Adventures cancelation was never about the (lack of) money, but that the games simply weren't that fun. That was the old Blizzard.

Inversely today, Blizzard has no scruples to push out trash like Diablo 3, Overwatch and countless shitty WOW expansion packs without any regards to their once lofty quality standards. They're just another money-making engine now resting on the laurels of past achievements.

Both diablo 3 and overwatch are fun to play. There's a reason why Blizzard can get away with ignoring steam, and it's because they continue to deliver on the gameplay front.

Lostpleb

Learned
I have mixed feelings about the new Terran soundtrack. The old music was a weird mix of guitar and space/euro techno which fit the mood perfectly, but now it's all rock and metal. I feel like they've stripped all the all Sci-Fi away from the whole piece by making the electronic bits too low-key.

I'm holding my breath until the whole score is released.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Thought that video was gonna be about how he hated the new remastered version, lol. What a misleading title for a video.

Anyway, I agree wtith him. BW is a much more skill-oriented game than SC2 on every level.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
There's something about the old graphics I just like more. I suspect it is mostly conservatism and nostalgia, but the rational part of my brain says: (1) the higher resolution has gotten rid of a lot of the (perhaps unintended?) grit and shabbiness implied in the old art -- even the Protoss structures and units used to have a faintly grimy quality to them, like they had gotten tarnished and dirty in the Protoss's senescence; (2) part of what made the old sprites so technically impressive was how much they conveyed in so few pixels, and you lose that with the higher resolution; and (3) in a few instances, some things looked better with less detail, such as the firebat's shoulder/neck/head region (IMO).

I broadly agree. There are a few models that I always felt were a bit too low-detail in the original, to the point that you had to look at them a long time to tell what they were supposed to be depicting, that are improved in the RM (Ultralisks, Queens, and especially Dragoons come to mind). Actually, I'm torn on the Ultralisk. It's more clear, but it also falls a bit into uncanny valley. It just looks a bit... weird. However, by and large, I feel the original had better visuals. I think you're bang on with the grit and shabbiness, though I can't put my finger on why. It almost seems like the colour palette they're using is a bit too bright, and a lot of things have a glossy feel.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The only unit sprite I remember having a problem with back in the day was the Defiler, which I always felt was at a slightly different (lower) camera angle, though I doubt Blizzard would've made a basic mistake like that. I have some vague recollection of mabye some other unit's attack animation seeming slightly off, but I can't really remember which that would be.

DramaticPopcorn

Lurker and defiler felt both oddly out of place in comparison to other unit sprites.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
I have mixed feelings about the new Terran soundtrack. The old music was a weird mix of guitar and space/euro techno which fit the mood perfectly, but now it's all rock and metal. I feel like they've stripped all the all Sci-Fi away from the whole piece by making the electronic bits too low-key.

I'm holding my breath until the whole score is released.

Same, Starcraft had an amazing soundtrack and I especially love the Terran pieces. Very iconic. It would be nice if there was an option to play with the old songs cycling through or just have "Original OST" as an option.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Still waiting for a single reason to play this over the original.

dXcO7vA.jpg
Where is your jewel case you filthy subhuman?
vxnqfz.jpg

I'd post my WC3 one but the jewel case is shattered :negative:

Lostpleb

Learned
Ooooooor I used to hang out with people who didn't have PCs, so I had to figure out a way to bring them the Holy Gospel Of Multiplayer Starcraft, somehow. :smug:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ooooooor I used to hang out with people who didn't have PCs, so I had to figure out a way to bring them the Holy Gospel Of Multiplayer Starcraft, somehow. :smug:
That is like having a virgin friend and buying him a sex doll toy instead of buying him 2 hours with a prostitute :hmmm:

GrainWetski

Arcane
That is like having a virgin friend and buying him a sex doll toy instead of buying him 2 hours with a prostitute :hmmm:
A dirty sex doll with no holes, no less.

"Just rub your dick against that brown spot on its belly"

The patch is no longer in PTR and is fully released. Get it here: https://starcraft.com/en-us/articles/20674424
Patch Notes said:
General
  • Added windowed fullscreen or windowed mode; use Alt+Enter to switch between.
  • Added UTF-8 support.
  • Added cursor clamping in-game while windowed; unclamped in menus.
  • Added Popular Maps to streamline finding games or game types.
  • Added options to display actions per minute.
  • Added Observer mode.
  • Added opponent information when joining a game lobby.
  • Added autosaving for replays.
  • Added an option to display the game timer.
  • Added UPnP support.
  • Updated to a new OpenGL backend.
  • Improved gameplay responsiveness during multiplayer by increasing turn rate to match LAN speeds over Battle.net.
  • Improved UI layout in Battle.net sections.
  • Improved behavior of available lobbies within the ‘Join Game’ section.
  • Improved compatibility with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.
  • Improved anticheat capabilities.
  • Improved installation and patching performance.
  • Mac Beta support now available for 10.11 and up.
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed palette issues to correct rainbow water, 80s Kerrigan face in the loading screen, and other graphic glitches.
  • Fixed problems with LAN game discovery.
  • Fixed IME support and other text artifacts in Battle.net menus.
  • LAN and Legacy Battle.net fixes.
Known Issues
  • The profile section is currently unavailable.

I'm not a Starcraft player.

What do all Starcraft players think of the 4K graphics?

Is it in line with what you have come to accept about the original or is it too cartoony/overstylized?

I'm crossing my fingers hoping for Diablo Remastered.

I've watched the Darkening of Tristram gameplay videos and liked it for the most part, except for the intentional pixelation.

The Curse of Tristram mod that's coming out for Starcraft II looks like straight shit though.

I'm happy with the new look. Still captures a lot of the same feel the original units did and it doesn't have (at least anywhere near as much of) SC2's cartoonishness. Anybody complaining about the remaster's look for being too cartoony or changing too much sounds like somebody who hasn't played the original game recently enough to remember what it actually looked like.

Looks like this damn game's gonna be up to version 1.18.99999 by the time the Remaster actually comes out.
Source: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/starcraft/topic/20754325532

Patch Notes said:
Greetings Executors, Cerebrates, and Commanders,

We'll be releasing a hotfix today to address some of the live issues. We'll also be starting some new threads to specifically address requests and feedback like keybinds. Notes:

Specific Changes & Improvements
  • Observer chat no longer displays for players in-game
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed invalid password bug for private games
  • Fixed receiving credit for beating AI
  • Fixed Brood War games showing up as lobbies for players in StarCraft
  • Fixed firewall helper crash on startup
  • Fixed IME issues on Mac
  • Fixed crash when attempting to rejoin previous channel under certain circumstances
  • Fixed most Friends chat commands in game (/f m still being fixed)
Known Issues
  • Creation of control groups failing when mouse buttons are held down; have a fix in test, will release soon
  • Mouse speed incorrect using fullscreen on high resolution monitors; issue under deeper investigation
  • Still working through chat commands that are not implemented in the new chat system
  • Improved logging to help gather information on graphics card related issues
  • /stats and /f m inoperable; have a fix in test

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Got the updated version, tried it on Battlenet. My first game, half the other team dropped for no reason. My second game had a rageaholic who blamed everyone but himself when the team messed up. My third game had a kid that spent the whole match talking about how he has a girlfriend.

Never change, Battlenet. Actually, scratch that. Please change, Battlenet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom