Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Mortmal

Arcane
It reeks of pay-to-win if you don't know all the details, but there will be fighters of equivalent power (the Hornet, at the moment) which can be obtained normally. The Hornet and Vanduul fighter have differing specs but are the same "tier." It's a collector/vanity item. Specifically, the Vanduul fighter is slightly faster and has unusually powerful main cannons, but slightly less armor and no other armament options besides its cannons, while the Hornet also has missiles and a Class 4 hardpoint.

I've spent $565. I spent $1,000 on Wasteland 2, but that was before the massive flood of Kickstarters. Can't afford to spend $3,000 a month on these fucking things.

Sounds like world of tank then, however i dont like that trend of "vanity" items costing so much in game,also slightly faster and slightly better weapon would give me just the edge over another player of equal skill cause of 300$ , i dont like that. Where do you stop ? why not vanity items over 10K$ ? i think i remember some space game where players paid that much just for a special drone , dont encourage them . I am old fashioned i prefer that everyone buying the box have the same pixellated ships .I am backing this and elite dangerous , but my heart is more toward elite atm.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I too prefer that everyone buy the box and have the same shit—and remember, that will be the case for the single-player campaign (and expansions) as well as modable, user-hosted multiplayer. Pledge ships and the credits shop affect only the persistent universe portion.

Like it or not, for the persistent universe, free-to-play is the only way that makes any sense. The subscription model is dying out because for some reason, no one wants to pay a subscription to a game anymore, whether or not there are server costs, ongoing development costs and salaries to pay. $15 per month is way too much for some people, although of course they can still afford at least a monthly cable television subscription ($70), a premium cell phone plan ($50 minimum), probably at least two coffees a week from Starbucks ($40), a variety of other luxuries, and of course a top-end gaming computer to play it on in the first place.

I don't understand it, but it is what it is.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm actually touched that this has become the Let's Troll Blaine thread. I don't care where the thread is located, and in fact it might fare better in the MMO(RP)G section, away from shitposting manchildren willfully ignoring the full-length single-player campaign and mod-able, user-hosted multiplayer.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
In before: If you care to read the detailed explanation that Chris made; and if you read all the material in the web page, and if you read the Tweeter messages and Facebook our dear leader posted; and if you read all the description of the ships and the stretch goals of the Kickstarter campaign; and if you read our overlord's interviews that he made about the game in all the Internets; and if you read the IAMA, podcasts transcriptions, livecast videos; and if you read.... ad nauseam.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
:lol:

You're trying so hard, and I want to reward you with an angry, all-caps wall o' text to give you some satisfaction, but I'm too lazy and this line should be enough. Keep pulling those strings, puppetmaster.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Fucking hell, who gives a FUCK about Wing Commander ppl?

I mean, do you remember the travesty the final game turned into, with those stupid cutscenes with Hamil?

And the Kilrathi...this was a furry series.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Let's see: plebeian grammar in the very sentence used to accuse someone else of being stupid, in addition to pathetic, agenda-based brofisting... I too am satisfied. :thumbsup:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
"Agenda-based brofisting" occurs when you're engaged in arguing with/trolling a second party, a third party chimes in, and then—largely because the third party agrees with your side of the issue (or simply opposes your opponent)—you brofist the third party's post(s).

It's a subtle form of back-patting, not quite the same as "normal" brofisting, and I find it rather pathetic. In the most egregious cases, you'll find "X/Y likes/brofists this" appended to every single post made by Y/X, respectively, as they dogpile Z.

For this and other reasons, the "Like" system is one of the features I dislike about the XenForo forum software. I've been using XenForo since 2010 on a forum I administrate, and I'd disable it if the fucking cunts who populate that shithole didn't love it so much.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Lulz, maybe I should finally take Kosmonaut from my ignore list, made Blaine seem a wee bit crazy with his two page monologues with himself...

...on the other hand...

:troll:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Weekly update, including renders of the Freelancer, which is ugly and looks like a cock and balls.
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/friday-updates-freelancer-citizen-cards-and-interviews/
1354923180930s9rhe.jpg

Phaserlight

Novice
Blaine said:
Vendetta Online, and other space sims with online elements won't even remotely compare.
I beg to differ, but that's just me; the Dalai Lama could tell me he's making an MMO called "Nirvana Zen Happiness" and I'd give him the thumbs up and go right on playing Vendetta Online ;-).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I've been playing Vendetta Online on and off for years now. It's a good game, but there are many aspects that could use improvement, and a lot of room for the implementation of features that probably never will be.

The universe itself is tiny, for example, consisting of only thirty systems, each featuring a handful of points of interest and two or three wormholes for traveling. This is ideal for VO's small user base, but there's not much mystery to it for those who enjoy exploring. I played EVE Online for six years, and the mystery (and very real potential danger) of what was going on in a faraway swath of space or inside some wormhole never left me. When I returned to VO recently, I made three trips to Sedina to pick up a few Moths so that I could brush up on my trading, and nothing happened. I was hoping someone would try to shoot me, but I guess no one was there at the time.

Not that losing money or credits is such a big deal, since after a few weeks, anyone with a brain can figure out how earn so many credits that they'll never lack for anything again... not even the rarer stuff with special purchasing restrictions. Speaking of the economy, player trading consists entirely of transferring credits, then jettisoning cargo into space and having the buyer pick it up.

The ship upgrade system is rather simplistic and linear. When you take the best ships and equipment into account (a lot of it is inferior, meant for lower license levels), there's only so much customization to be done, and most ships only have a handful of hardpoints to begin with. I'm not saying you can't customize ships in VO, but it's fairly shallow system that doesn't take much tinkering or theorizing to figure out. The ships themselves are also very simple models, with no interiors, cockpits or multi-crewed ships.

Now as an actual PvP game, VO is perfectly adequate, and the flight mechanics are quite good. In fact, part of the reason I've returned to VO is to get some "practice" in before Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous make their appearance, though they'll be very different games. I wish VO had more advanced peripheral support than it does, but it works well enough with a decent HOTAS setup.

Phaserlight

Novice
'System' is a relative term, esp. when you are speaking virtually. VO's world actually has more areas to explore right now than Eve, with more choke points. It's a mathematical fact (16 x 16 x 30 = 7,680). There is also an exploration expansion slated to happen sometime Soon(tm), which will add even more systems.

I'm not sure what you mean by more advanced peripheral support; perhaps you could be more specific? I've heard good things about the HOTAS. Personally, I enjoy playing with the Logitech F710 Wireless gamepad, and also on the Xperia Play. I should also mention VO was one of the finalists in Oculus' "Gift A Rift" contest. Generally, one of VO's selling points is that it supports just about every device known to man.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
'System' is a relative term, esp. when you are speaking virtually. VO's world actually has more areas to explore right now than Eve, with more choke points. It's a mathematical fact (16 x 16 x 30 = 7,680). There is also an exploration expansion slated to happen sometime Soon(tm), which will add even more systems.

I'm not sure you know enough about EVE to make that statement. A quick Google reveals that EVE had 5,431 normal systems as of 2008, and I don't think that number has changed much. Each system has a star; each star typically features multiple planets, sometimes a dozen or more; most planets feature one or more moons; there are typically multiple NPC space stations; there are numerous asteroid and/or ice belts; there are occasionally unique "landmark" features; and typically there are several stargates. In other words, there are many different locations you can visit within an individual EVE system. Comparing each individual grid square in VO to an entire EVE system is silly, unless each square contains a solar system, planets, moons, stations, belts and anomalies, but they don't. Most of them are empty space, and the ones that are occupied have far fewer points of interest than most individual EVE systems.

Also, EVE already has two exploration features, including wormhole space, which adds even more star systems to the total. Ultimately though, this isn't a contest.

I'm not sure what you mean by more advanced peripheral support; perhaps you could be more specific? I've heard good things about the HOTAS. Personally, I enjoy playing with the Logitech F710 Wireless gamepad, and also on the Xperia Play. I should also mention VO was one of the finalists in Oculus' "Gift A Rift" contest. Generally, one of VO's selling points is that it supports just about every device known to man.

Really? Perhaps I was mistaken. If VO supports TrackIR, Oculus Rift, MFDs (multi-function displays), switch arrays and so on, I'll need to give them a try.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I've gathered that no one except me cares about this game on RPG Codex, so I won't torment you with any further bumping. Some of you may enjoy this, though:

13547588919432zk3x.png

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
I've gathered that no one except me cares about this game on RPG Codex, so I won't torment you with any further bumping.
Thank you! I apreciate it. Now I just need to notify a mod to move this thread to the MMOG subforum. Or retardo land.

Deleted member 7219

I care about this game. I donated to Star Citizen because it looked incline, being all pro-PC and anti-console and whatnot. And I'm currently playing Wing Commander 3. I have no idea what that image was about, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom