Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

Silva

Arcane
Im still wondering what da hell the authors were thinking when they

made the Zone origins totally unrelated to the Chernobyl disaster. WTF ?

A bunch of eggheads experimenting with some silly "noosphere" concept decide to pick the Zone of Isolation as the local for the research just because its a desolate location and full of big anthenas. Then the experiment goes wrong, creates a rift in this "noosphere", and the "New Zone" is created. Is that it ? Is thats the most creative ideas the devs could get in making a story for a game around the Chernobyl disaster ? Now I understand why CoP ending was so vague about the Zone origins - the devs must ve realized how silly this backstory sounded and decided to ignore it.

Damn it. Iwas hoping they would tie the game backstory to Roadside Picnic somehow - maybe the chernobyl accident acted as a beacon that attracted the visitors or something like that ? - but no. :(

Well, at least the Strelok plot is good and is about a normal guy and his personal issues (and curiosity), instead of the typical americrap of noble super heroes saving the world. Points to the devs for this. They even managed to make it a mundane but exciting plot, instead of CoPs mundane and... well, mundane one. BTW, thats something I love in eastern european games, the plots are more about personal issues instead of world-saving events. The more eastern european games I play, the more a fan I am of those guys.

P.S: did SoC also felt a survival game only in the short-term for you? The first hours in the Cordon and Garbage are great, with you scavenging everything you can from every corpse and corner. But after you get to the 100 Rads Bar, the medkits, ammo, anti-rads and good weapons and armor are so abundant that the survival aspect simply disappears. Dont know if its a vanilla or Complete mod´s fault though. (thats something Misery CoP does right, I think. The short-game may be insanely harsh, but the mid- to end-game feels really great, with you more powerful but still taking measures to survive and never feeling like a fucking Godmode Rambo )

DraQ

Arcane
Silva:

You pretty much summed up my problems with SoC story. As for CoP it felt more like an attempt to tie up loose ends and overall make SoC angle presentable.

And yeah, American devs seem to preoccupied by trying to squeeze as much pathos and/or forced artificial grimdark into their games to create actual atmosphere.
Eastern European games just feel far more authentic.

Actually one of my complaints about CoP (vanilla) is that the zone didn't look as Eastern European any more - it felt a little bit falloutized (not much but still perceptibly) compared to SoC zone that was patterned after actual environments you could find there IRL, based on devs actually going there, looking around and taking photos.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, I was severely disappointed when I started playing CoP and realised that they scrapped all the old environments. The new environments were just entirely uninspired. The fact that the most memorable moments from CoP was scripted events also speak lots. The emergent gameplay was entirely lacking compared to SoC.

CoP is my least favorite of the series, even though Clear Sky is a buggy mess and I've been absolutely unable to get it playable without severe performance issues.

Silva

Arcane
The fact that the most memorable moments from CoP was scripted events also speak lots. The emergent gameplay was entirely lacking compared to SoC.
Wait, what ? :eek:

If there is something CoP makes absolutely better than SoC it IS the emergent gameplay.

Aside from the novelty and aesthetics, SoC is little more than a straight shooter. Its easily the least emergent in the series, the one with the most linear plot, the most shallow gameplay, the most heavily scripted "corridor shooting" sequences, and that most relies on generic fetch-quests given by generic npcs.

Are you sure you played the others in the series ?

Actually one of my complaints about CoP (vanilla) is that the zone didn't look as Eastern European any more - it felt a little bit falloutized (not much but still perceptibly)
Agreed. Having finished SoC now, I think CoP should have kept the original aesthetics. Its so much more original and faithful to Roadside Picnic.

..compared to SoC zone that was patterned after actual environments you could find there IRL, based on devs actually going there, looking around and taking photos.
Actually, most part of CoP environment is also taken from real life photos and places: http://opasnajazona.blogspot.com.br/2011/04/stalker.html

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Bros, I'm having problems with CoP and the Misery mod. I have both tried a pirated and the original Disc, I install the game normally, then put the misery mod "above". When I first started it, everything ran just fine, so I closed it again (just wanted to try out if it works). Then I wanted to start to play it, but the game doesn't open and it says "xray engine blablabla doesn't work anymore" each time. It even happens with a clean installation without Misery. Does anyone know how to remedy this?

OK, but how about if it was your one and only playthrough? I doubt I'd have the patience or time to do it twice.
Might as well play with Misery then.

Yep, my advice was meant to help get maximum replayability out of the game, because Misery changes a lot in how the game plays. If you're just gonna drop it after one run and never return then ignore it.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah DraQ, I totally got you. Even the real Yanov station picture is full of green around it, but CoP one is more dry and "falloutized". I think this may have been a conscious decision on the the devs part, for taking on the post-apoc Fallouty wave at the time.

I confess I love the Zaton map, though. I think its very original and realistic looking, with a verticality to it that I like.

Bros, I'm having problems with CoP and the Misery mod. I have both tried a pirated and the original Disc, I install the game normally, then put the misery mod "above". When I first started it, everything ran just fine, so I closed it again (just wanted to try out if it works). Then I wanted to start to play it, but the game doesn't open and it says "xray engine blablabla doesn't work anymore" each time. It even happens with a clean installation without Misery. Does anyone know how to remedy this?
Try disabling Xfire, Fraps or similar programs. Try disabling anti-viruses. Try reinstalling. Post here later and tell us if it solved.

DraQ

Arcane
Yeah DraQ, I totally got you. Even the real Yanov station picture is full of green around it, but CoP one is more dry and "falloutized". I think this may have been a conscious decision on the the devs part, for taking on the post-apoc Fallouty wave at the time.
Conscious? Probably, but it's still shit. SoC managed to look post-apoc with natural amounts of vegetation.

potatojohn

Arcane
Well maybe the zone's conditions just aren't conductive to vegitation. Which would explain why food is so expensive.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
I confess I love the Zaton map, though. I think its very original and realistic looking, with a verticality to it that I like.

I liked Zaton as well. There is something charming about the marshy growth of a dried riverbed with rusty boat hulls and abandoned industry laying about. And the music captured it all perfectly:

anus_pounder

Arcane
Playing CoP with atmosfear right now. Really really liking it so far. :salute: the creator(s).

My only regret is that my PoS PC isn't good enough to run everything at max settings. Want to see if it looks that much better with Enhanced DX11 Lighting, AA, shadows etc. set to max. Running pretty much everything at medium right now.

Sodafish

Arcane
Fock it, so I've decided to jump in at the deep end and try CoP Misery with the Recon class. So, apart from nerfing the zombies is the any other tweaks I should make? I have the patch 2 already installed.

Silva

Arcane
:bravo:

The main thing is just doubling the zombies "fire dispersion" values in \gamedata\configs\creatures\m_stalker_zombied.ltx. If you feels its still insane, just increase dispersion in the stalkers, bandits and mercs files too. Aside from that, read this FAQ on how to increase your stamina and the effects of meds and food too. (but I dont recommend those at first, only if youre having really serious trouble)

TIPS:

Plan ahead (use your binocular to scout ahead for mutants and other threats and avoid it), control your weigth so you dont get tired after a 10m jog, and just run away from any threat (as a Recon you run like fokin Usain Bolt, so use it). Pick a side to help (stalkers or bandits) and dont be shamed to prey on the other for their valuables - dont forget all them are criminals in the first place, so dont get emotional. Youre not Madre Teresa, youre fokin ucranian black ops.

Also, learn to ration your food. Dont eat everytime you see the green symbol. Just eat when you feel the hit in your stamina. Priorize buying the can of tuna fish over the other options, since it feeds you more. Dont eat/spend food if youre in safe places talking even if youre really hungry (red symbol). Just feed when youre ready to "go out to play". Try helping out stalkers/bandits thorugh quests soon, since helping them makes you get better prices in food and guns.

Pay attention to the sky. If you see reddish cloud coloration, run like hell.

Also, avoid exploring at night.

Now GET OUT OF HERE STALKERRR.

Sodafish

Arcane
Cheers for the tips :salute:

I've just briefly tried it, but I'm having an issue of ridiculously long load times (like 2 mins), and that's with an SSD. Is this normal? o_O

Silva

Arcane
Yeah. The initial loading was 2 and half minutes here. (then I bought a new rig just to play it. Now it takes 1 and half minute).

But its only for the first load when you start the game. After this, the loading gets faster.

Sodafish

Arcane
Hmm thought that might be the case. Presumably it has to dump all the resources into RAM first. Still it's pretty extreme for an SSD.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Does anyone know how to remedy this?
Works for me with this specific backup copy: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.Call.of.Pripyat.MULTi3.INTERNAL-PROPHET

Thanks! Though it's strange that it doesn't even work with the original disc... I have the german version of the game, could this be the reason? I couldn't find any infos about language conflicts on the Misery page, but it didn't work with the english one either. Nevermind, while the version you suggested is downloading, I fired up SoC again. This time I took my sweet time to watch the intro closely and listen to all the ambient dialogues etc. much closer, last time I did that I rushed it a bit since I wanted to see if the "Complete" mod is working.

Man this game is giving me the creeps. First, I have to say that I am terrible at FPS shooters. I died on the very first mission where you have to take out this bandit camp with wolfs men etc. :oops: A shotgun blast was enough to kill me, I was a bit too uncautious and I thought I took already all bandits out. Reloaded, completed the mission and explored a bit. Found those weird anomalies all cluttered throughout the place, wandered in some of these because I didn't know what they do. Got radiated and lost health all the time, with no medkits in sight. It started raining and this creepy music is playing. I looked for shelter in some abandonend farm house, took out my sleeping bag because I wanted to rest so that the rain stops. Just when I wanted to click "rest", some fucked up creature that looked a bit a like a pig ( ? ) ran towards me and ended me. I have never felt as "alone" in any game like it is in this game, and I haven't even played much. Amazing atmosphere! (though I might have to crank the difficulty a bit down :o ) With headphones on this is very very creepy to me.

Also, the music is very very good. I don't know why I didn't keep on playing the last time I installed this game, but this time I sure as hell will keep playing!

MasPingon

Arcane
I played Call of Pripyat as soon as it came out. I have remembered it as a fine game, but nothing really special. An open ended rpg-like experience with a lot of potential but lack in development, with same nice environments and buttfuck ugly graphics /very narrow FOV. It felt rushed and unpolished, gameplay was unbalanced and you didn't have this feeling that you are in oppression, that The Zone is a dangerous and unfriendly place. It felt as wrong as Fallout 3 with its Wasteland theme park.

That being said, i didn't expect miracles from Misery mod. Then I checked same playthrough on youtube and thought - damn, that's how Stalker game should look like. After installing the mod with assault specialization i quickly start the game on master difficulty. Done some quests, died a lot, enjoyed outstanding atmosphere(or atmosfear) and then..Kaboom! I found myself in a situation when i wasn't able to continue a game - I had shitty coat as an armor, broken pistol, rifle which i needed to reload with every single shot, no money and detector that would't find a whole in Ukrainian toilet. Not to say I was starving to dead. I was fucked as hell and I loved it. I started from the beginning on stalker difficulty(bug?) and it's been a week since I'm enjoying COP/Misery(about 40h). I can't think of any other game that comes even close if it comes to the survival theme(maybe Operation Flashpoint,similar tension) , graphics are beautiful with same nice new lighting and gritty textures. Now Zaton looks like The Zone i was imagine while reading Roadside Picnic.

Everyone who is surprised that Misery won a mod of a year award, being ahead of Black Mesa, should just play it and see it for themselves. This is the game that i missed - unforgiving game you need to know how to play, with same nice choices and consequences. I just came to Pripyat but I can't wait to play it one more time with Misery 2.0. Great job!!

Silva - thanks for this thread, surely I would have missed this mod( I would call it game, it felt so different)

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I'd really recommend some kind of difficulty-enhancing mod, Misery or otherwise. Vanilla Call of Pripyat is almost insultingly easy.

Silva

Arcane
I played Call of Pripyat as soon as it came out. I have remembered it as a fine game, but nothing really special. An open ended rpg-like experience with a lot of potential but lack in development, with same nice environments and buttfuck ugly graphics /very narrow FOV. It felt rushed and unpolished, gameplay was unbalanced and you didn't have this feeling that you are in oppression, that The Zone is a dangerous and unfriendly place. It felt as wrong as Fallout 3 with its Wasteland theme park.

That being said, i didn't expect miracles from Misery mod. Then I checked same playthrough on youtube and thought - damn, that's how Stalker game should look like. After installing the mod with assault specialization i quickly start the game on master difficulty. Done some quests, died a lot, enjoyed outstanding atmosphere(or atmosfear) and then..Kaboom! I found myself in a situation when i wasn't able to continue a game - I had shitty coat as an armor, broken pistol, rifle which i needed to reload with every single shot, no money and detector that would't find a whole in Ukrainian toilet. Not to say I was starving to dead. I was fucked as hell and I loved it. I started from the beginning on stalker difficulty(bug?) and it's been a week since I'm enjoying COP/Misery(about 40h). I can't think of any other game that comes even close if it comes to the survival theme(maybe Operation Flashpoint,similar tension) , graphics are beautiful with same nice new lighting and gritty textures. Now Zaton looks like The Zone i was imagine while reading Roadside Picnic.

Everyone who is surprised that Misery won a mod of a year award, being ahead of Black Mesa, should just play it and see it for themselves. This is the game that i missed - unforgiving game you need to know how to play, with same nice choices and consequences. I just came to Pripyat but I can't wait to play it one more time with Misery 2.0. Great job!!

Silva - thanks for this thread, surely I would have missed this mod( I would call it game, it felt so different)

The exact same sentiments as me. Im glad I could help you find such a great experience. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom