Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think I have a new avatar.

Also: my kender C/T is backstabbing the shit out of dudes in plate mail right now. I guess you can never trust those Goldbox manuals.:M

It is the weight of the armour that is important if the plate mail is enchanted enough it becomes weightless.

I'm pretty sure that is wrong. Anyway, being able to backstab in heavy armour is a bug or oversight in FRUA and some of the GB games.

Null Null

Arbiter
I think I have a new avatar.

Also: my kender C/T is backstabbing the shit out of dudes in plate mail right now. I guess you can never trust those Goldbox manuals.:M

It is the weight of the armour that is important if the plate mail is enchanted enough it becomes weightless.

I'm pretty sure that is wrong. Anyway, being able to backstab in heavy armour is a bug or oversight in FRUA and some of the GB games.

There's a line in the 1st ed DMG that magic armor is as weightless as normal clothing. This doesn't seem to be implemented in GB--the items still have normal weight, although their encumbrance in terms of limiting motion is one class better--so you have a full movement of 12 with most forms of magic armor. Magic scale, splint, and plate still limits you to movement 9. I remember specifically making sure some of my fighters wore banded mail in POD even though plate was available to take advantage of the superior mobility.

madrigal

Augur
The rules about backstabbing in the early editions aren't very specific it is hard to tell whether something is intended or not. It seems to indicate that any melee weapon should be acceptable and if magical armour does not prevent you from sneaking up on an enemy then it shouldn't prevent a backstab.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The rules about backstabbing in the early editions aren't very specific it is hard to tell whether something is intended or not. It seems to indicate that any melee weapon should be acceptable and if magical armour does not prevent you from sneaking up on an enemy then it shouldn't prevent a backstab.

There was a game "related" to the GB games that introduced heavy penalties if using metal armour, which was better than a binary solution. Dark Sun, maybe?

Monstrous Bat

Cipher

There was a game "related" to the GB games that introduced heavy penalties if using metal armour, which was better than a binary solution. Dark Sun, maybe?
I don't think there's even any metal armor in Dark Sun (the CRPG). In the PnP setting, wearing metal armor will basically cook you alive, so backstabbing penalties will probably be the least of your concerns.

Gozma

Arcane
Nah DS had the piecemeal armor rules so you could get a proper Mad Max/Brom look with your one metal vambrace or whatever, and there's enough metal armor in DSSL to cover everyone IIRC. I can't remember if there were specific overheating rules in P&P but that makes sense.

I actually can't remember how you backstab in DSSL. It's a pretty arcane procedure in the Gold Box games, it might have been simplified in DSSL because that game had real facing IIRC.

I don't think I ever tried backstabbing in the Darksun games. I could never even tell how many steps away characters were. That would be one of my biggest gripes along with searching the mines for murderers and some bugs in WotR. The games are very memorable with lots of unique locations and characters (less so on characters in WotR). Shattered Lands was really open ended.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I remember playing POR so many years ago and finding the cursed items and very limited resting areas a really cool feature. It just seemed so hardcore & satisfying. I tried a Gold Box game or two on WinUAE but found it slow and kind of clunky compared to DOS versions so decided to gave it up. Now I'm considering some of the hardcore goodness that is the FRUA community. Might be a good time to catch up on all the classic AD&D PnP modules I missed that got transfered to FRUA by Ray. There's a few other modders from FRUA that seem genuinely talented in their artwork, like Hans & Keith. It just seems like it would be a gold mine of Gold Box fun. But shit, all the negative transfer in going from a modern cRPG UI to that is a real bummer. Can Ray's versions of POR & COTAB have characters exported into SOTSB & POD? Forgive me if that's a dumb question.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Can Ray's versions of POR & COTAB have characters exported into SOTSB & POD? Forgive me if that's a dumb question.

No, you can't. But you could always use the Gold Box Editor to edit your Secrets characters to the same stats as your victorious Curse characters. "Fortunately" the transfer of items is not relevant.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Guess who is playing the Secret of the Silver Blades?

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2014/09/game-163-secret-of-silver-blades-1990.html

crpgaddict

When the Gold Box engine was created for Pool of Radiance in 1988, it was perhaps the best RPG engine that could exist at the time, in particular for the specific adaptation of Dungeons & Dragons rules. Its primary rival in my mind is Ultima V, which is better for world-exploration and NPC interaction, but nothing through 1990 exceeds the Gold Box for combat. Little in the 26 years since has exceeded the Gold Box for combat, and I honestly wouldn't mind if the greatest hits of 2000s and 2010s regaled us with their graphics and sound during the exploration phase but tripped over to the familiar oblique angle and customizable icons of Pool of Radiance for the combat engine.

I've said several times--and I probably sound like an old man--that my primary problem with modern games is that I don't understand what's happening half the time in combat. My wife was just recently joking that my final words will probably be, "What?! Why did I just die?!" because she hears me shout it so often from both my couch and the my office chair. I never shout that in a Gold Box game. The system so perfectly incorporates physical attacks, ranged attacks, spellcasting, item use, and skill use in a top-down, carefully-controlled environment that not only do I know why I died, I can usually see it coming and identify what steps I could have taken to prevent it.

More than any other RPG engine of the era, and more than only a few since, the Gold Box encourages complex tactics and strategy in combat. You rarely just reload, try again, and hope for better dice this time. Instead, you learn about your foes' strengths and weaknesses and respond accordingly. It's like chess in an RPG.

Keldryn

Arcane
I encountered a very weird but very awesome bug the first time I played Pool of Radiance.
It was in 1989, on my C-64.

My party fought some trolls and defeated them. During the next battle, I noticed that my human fighter was regenerating 3 HP every round. This continued for the rest of the entire game. Unfortunately, this ability did not carry over when I imported my party into Curse of the Azure Bonds...

Ah yes, memories of the summer of '89:

LOADING... INSERT DISK SIDE #4... LOADING... INSERT DISK SIDE #2... LOADING... INSERT DISK SIDE #8... (take two steps)

HOBGOBLINS CHARGE SCREAMING!

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
I didn't expect much from my kender when I created him, but right now I'm in DKK and that little guy is really pulling his weight. Nothing like backstabbing those damned skeletal warriors for 40 damage. :incline:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So for the first time, I made 2 human multi-class characters, 1 a fighter 7th level (that is when he gets 2 attacks per round), then switched to magic-user. He JUST made 7th level magic user. One more level to go....

:yeah:

But by the time he makes 8th level magic-user AND CAN THEN FINALLY FIGHT AGAIN.... my Ranger 8th level (that is when he gets 2 attacks per round) will be a useless level 1 magic-user (and he is one of my best fighters).

:fuuyeah:

Getting him to 9th level magic-user is going to be a fucking pain in the ass (in a BAD way)..... but dear gawd WILL HE SLAY ALL THAT OPPOSE HIM....

Been playing The Realm series EAST, of which I only played one time, and we died in the Hidden Shrine of Tomoachan (I couldn't find the "safe" room). But THIS time I did, and we survived. And holy shit, at the end of that module, and if you do a bit of searching around, you will get a fuckton of XP, I really liked how Ray did that. Nice touch. Just finished Curse of Xanathon, which was interesting. Now it is off to Castle Amber...

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Weight of armour has no effect on backstabbing in any Gold Box game, AFAIK. Dunno about FRUA. Jaesun, getting that dual-classed character fully kicking ass again is the best feeling ever.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So did you finish Treasures of the Savage Frontier?

No. I wanted to play around a bit with multi-classing in FRUA first. Because the EAST series + The Final Diamond goes to level 20+, of which then both my multi-classed characters can make the level where they gain their fighting abilities and glorious armor back. So I can see what I think about multi-classing....

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
11667.png

I AM CRYING MANLY TEARS OF JOY! BLOBERT, my 7th level Fighter/7th Level Magic-User just made 8th level Magic-User. OMG!

:bounce:

THIS IS SO GLORIOUS! heh Sceptic the 8th level Ranger/Magic User still has a LONG way to go to 9th level Magic-User though.... ugh. But dear gawd he will become DESTROYER OF WORLDS when he does.

This FRUA Module a conversion of X2, Castle Amber is really damn cool. It is a 3rd-6th level adventure (but man, it would be fucking NASTY to play this at under 5th level. Ouch. But not impossible). There is an epic shitload of XP in this too (due to all the treasure you find). As soon as I saw BLOBERT get enough XP to train I was ripping my hair and praying we would at some point get to a train event. And I just found one.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
NBaWTEt.png

:lol:

Did they hire someone from NWC to do the writing for DKK? The game seems to have much more goofyness than its predecessor.

Null Null

Arbiter
The games got steadily goofier as time went on. POR had the fire giants arguing about frogs and toads in the castle and the trolls and ogres tossing sacks of grain, but that was about it. The whole Pools series was darker in tone. COK was pretty serious throughout. DQK had an intentional misspelling in the victory banner produced by the gnomes, but was otherwise pretty serious.

The ongoing joke with the clerk being a snot in the Pools series was comic, but it was character-based so it didn't grate as much. (I still want to see an analysis of the Gold Box games from the PUA perspective.)

GSF and TSF, on the other hand, were pretty silly, what with Vaalgamon shouting taunts at you in the Llorkh arena and maze fight, Amanitas the absent-minded mage, the cross-dressers in Farr Windward, and loads and loads of silly shop names, not to mention the innovation of having your party members make wisecracks at points in the game.

I actually thought DKK was pretty dark in tone overall, what with

Sir Karl turning into an undead and killing Maya with a dragonlance--I didn't realize those worked on good dragons too!, fighting your old friend Durfey as an undead, and Sebas Astmoor trying to go straight and being tortured to death for his trouble.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The games got steadily goofier as time went on. POR had the fire giants arguing about frogs and toads in the castle and the trolls and ogres tossing sacks of grain, but that was about it. The whole Pools series was darker in tone. COK was pretty serious throughout. DQK had an intentional misspelling in the victory banner produced by the gnomes, but was otherwise pretty serious.

Apparently you have not played many of the old D&D modules?

There is much more wacky shit in them than the Gold Box series.....

Null Null

Arbiter

Apparently you have not played many of the old D&D modules?

There is much more wacky shit in them than the Gold Box series.....

The Papers & Paychecks game in the 1st ed DMG? The random prostitute table? 'Nessus Shirt Company' on the killer cloak? I'm aware of them, this is the Gold Box thread. ;)

My point is that the games got less serious as time went on. D&D itself got more serious, if anything, probably because it went from a pastime of a bunch of Upper Midwestern geeks passing the region's long winters to the mass-produced product of a Fortune 500 company worried about annoying mothers.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
My point is that the games got less serious as time went on. D&D itself got more serious, if anything, probably because it went from a pastime of a bunch of Upper Midwestern geeks passing the region's long winters to the mass-produced product of a Fortune 500 company worried about annoying mothers.

The "silly" shit is just peppered in there occasionally. You make it sound like the entire SERIES is focused about these silly events (of which they are not).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom