Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Spy DNA - realistic tactical combat with genetically enhanced agents

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Hot damn the more I read about this, the more promising it seems to me. What a shame the KS won't succeed :(

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Turns out that role-playing is about branching dialogues! Wait, actually they have a point.

Update #6

Jul 5 2016

Putting the RP in RPG

Those of you following our updates closely may have wondered just how much story and actual role-playing will we have in Spy DNA. Well, wonder no more.

We just purchased a dialog/script tool that will allow us to both visualize the existing dialog branches and stories, and to integrate them with the game. The tool is called Articy:draft, and so far, we’ve been quite impressed with what it can do. Aside from offering a handy way to keep track of all the characters, locations, and dialog lines, the tool integrates with our existing source control (big plus!) and with Unreal Engine.

c8413c0297306e6fafb2a40a50559fc0_original.png

Once we’ve got that configured, we’ll be able to assign dialog directly to the characters, wherever they pop up in the game. As is the Shy Snake tradition, we’re already planning some custom work in order to have the dialog have effect on NPC disposition and story line, and vice versa, have character skills and attributes as well as prior actions result in more (or fewer) dialog options when talking to NPCs.

Right now, I’m busy migrating the existing script from the ODS file into the Articy tool, and what I’m discovering is that the visualization makes it very clear where more dialog options can be added. Conversations without any branches or with only very few ones become immediately apparent once you lay them out like a flow chart.

So once all the dialog is in, I’ll be taking a second pass over it, adding more branches and optional outcomes, to make the role-playing aspect of the game match the combat in complexity and richness.

How will I do it? Read on our blog!

vonAchdorf

Arcane
For now it looks like they'll have to try again next year with more to show, their current KS is a bit like learning on the job.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nobody posted the stealth update? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/433035186/spy-dna-super-spy-for-a-day/posts/1617043

It’s been a busy week here at Shy Snake. We just pushed the update to move Spy DNA to Unreal 4.12. We were waiting until our demo at AFK was complete so as to not break anything right before it was time to show.

I’ve been 100% focused on AI. One big part of AI is making the system respect stealth. In Spy DNA we have a system that gives each character attributes for senses. These, combined with the characters skills, will determine how likely a character is to detect a player.

Sound: Everything a player does can generate a noise. Some things such as sneaking are quiet, while firing a gun would be loud. The sounds will dissipate over distance and with obstacles. The sound strength when it reaches the character is used to make a check against the character's ability to determine if they hear it. If they do then they may react. For the players, when your character hears a sound, we add a symbol with an arrow to indicate the direction of the sound.

Sight: Sight in Spy DNA serves two purposes. First is to detect a character. The second is to evaluate the character. Being a spy will often place you in locations where you will not be overtly carrying weapons. This means that in an area mixed with friendlies, enemies, and civilians, an enemy would both have to see you and then decide you are a threat. This means checks against their ability to spot hidden weapons, provided you don’t have a rocket launcher on your back. Anything in your inventory that could blow your cover is a risk for detection even if it’s not equipped. Obviously not having something equipped does make it harder for them to detect it. This creates an incentive to carry light and concealable weapons on many missions.

Smell: This isn’t really used to detect enemies, but rather hazards. Gas leak, smoke, or a specific perfume could all be clues or hazards.

Alex has also been busy. While I have been implementing stealth, she has been working to de-stealth Spy DNA and make sure the fans of thoughtful tactical games know about us. If you know anyone that would be interested in Spy DNA, please give her a hand in getting the word out.

shysnake

Shy Snake
Developer
Sadly I didn't save the other videos.
Save the failures next time! The one you showed was cool, but went off very smoothly ... seeing the challenges of the system would be really cool as well. It was almost hard to learn from this one, you made it look too easy.

Here is a new demo of the combat map for the upcoming demo. I did a single take, failures and all.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Steam "concept" page up. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=803494101

I watched the Megabooth video and have I mentioned the incline? Ridiculous detail here. I was particularly impressed at seeing a sniper posted a realistic distance from the conflict, instead of seeing rifles with only a range of 50 feet because that's just how big the screen is.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Steam "concept" page up. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=803494101

I watched the Megabooth video and have I mentioned the incline? Ridiculous detail here. I was particularly impressed at seeing a sniper posted a realistic distance from the conflict, instead of seeing rifles with only a range of 50 feet because that's just how big the screen is.
My vapour senses always tingle when I see these things that are well-considered.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Slightly hyped, mainly because I'm a simulationist-RPG sucker.

Camera could use to be some kind of fixed/rotating iso though, just using layer masks or something to get targets in buildings. That movable/angle_hell camera in the videos was horrible.
Big worry is pixel hunting though since mechanics/los/physics and all don't seem to be rule-abstracted which could mean that a pixel difference can be a life or death difference, which is why I always like actual squares/hex more.

Anyway, that's actually an incline, at least in design, compared to the lazy shit out there lately, so good luck and all that.

Zombra

Patron
From the mailing list!

d2cd5a66-b6ff-4729-a487-a969f65c0c53.png
What's inside?
As we are getting close to the first public demo of Spy DNA, we wanted to give you a quick overview of what will be included in the demo release, and where we are with development. Let’s start with some of the major features we want to show.

The demo starts with character creation. On the first play-through, character creation starts with a personality questionnaire. We use the questionnaire to help the players get a set of attributes which are best suited to their play-style. In the shipping game there will be other options for character creation to give the player more direct control over the creation process, but not in the demo. After picking your attributes you are taken to the base.

Upon arrival, the tutorial will start, covering the basics of camera control, character management, and combat.

The base is where you spend your time between missions. It is located on a small island and features the medical facility, an intel/ops center, scientific research offices, the cryogenic storage vault, and extensive training grounds with a 1000m shooting range and a breach-and-clear area.

Between missions you can use the facilities at the base to heal and train your characters. This is also where you can view and accept available missions and pick the team you will take with you. Each team member has at least two outfits, field and casual, and some (including the Commander) will also have a fancy outfit for blending in with a posher crowd.

For the loners among you, we allow the player not to take any other squad members on the missions and go it alone for an added challenge.

Aside from the base map, all mission maps in the demo will be procedurally generated, to allow for high replayabilty. The demo will include a minimum of five missions, covering several terrain types and times of day.

In summary, here’s what you can expect from the demo release:

• Character creation
  • UI and HUD tutorial
  • Shooting range to try all the weapons outside of combat situation
  • A minimum of five missions with procedural maps for higher replay value
  • Four playable team member characters to accompany the Commander on missions
Where and how will you get the demo?
When the demo is ready (some time this month!), we will announce it here on the blog, as well as on Twitter, Facebook, GooglePlus, and Tumblr.

The download will be available on RPGmaker.net as well as GameJolt.com and Itch.io (links TBD). The demo will be free to download and play, and we’d love your help in spreading the word about it.

What then?
Once the demo is out the door, and the feedback we get from the community is coming in, we’ll be going to Steam Greenlight. The date of the Greenlight campaign is not yet set in stone, because it’ll depend on whether our demo players will discover any issues that need fixing beforehand.

Putting the "super" in super-spy
For the upcoming demo we have put the first round of genetic enhancement in the game. In the course of the game you will acquire enhancements as part of the story line. All player character will start with at least one enhancement.
Read the blog post to find out what enhancements will be included in the demo

Meet the demo squad
We have a male and a female Commander versions, which have three outfit modes, each with a unique load-out. You'll also have four squad members to choose from, with call-signs "Wolf," "Bear," "Eagle," and "Skeeter."
Read the blog post to see what each squad member brings to the table

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

edit.
http://www.shysnake.com/blog/2017/2/1/putting-the-super-in-super-spy?platform=hootsuite
Putting the "super" in super-spy

For the upcoming demo we have put the first round of genetic enhancement in the game. In the course of the game you will acquire enhancements as part of the story line. All player character will start with at least one enhancement.

dna-slots.PNG

In Spy DNA each squad member has a number of slots where enhancements can be placed. For example the arms have two slots. One slot is for skin modification while the other is for muscle. Example enhancement for the skin are armor, camouflage, or special attacks such as a shocking touch.

When enhancing your character you can either fill an empty slot, or replace an existing enhancement. If you want to use a modification for a slot that’s already occupied, you have to remove the enhancement that’s currently there.

The standard enhancement that each squad member will have is medical, which effectively auto-applies first aid to any injuries the character may supper. Also as part of creating a character their neural information is scanned and backed up to help restore them even after extensive brain injury. This allows the medical staff at the base to fully heal a character as long as they make it off the field alive.

In the upcoming demo each playable character will come fitted with implants which work best with their combat style.

As you’ve seen in our earlier post, some of the squad will have armored skin (Wolf and Bear), stronger muscles and bones (Bear), or higher-resolution retinas and fine motor control (Skeeter).

However, we are not revealing the full enhancement list at this time, so the majority of enhancements will be unveiled later as we move into early access.

Stay tuned!

ColCol

Arcane
How far that sniper is (In the previous demo) from the action pleases me greatly.

D_F_N

Novice
Has anybody tried the alpha yet?

See here, the first reply sums it up. I had about the same experience as did another friend of mine.
Its really alpha so it doesnt show much and it may actually turn people away. If you are not already a fan of time based games, maybe its better to watch the videos and wait for beta.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom