Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory retrospective

Alfons

Prophet
FC2 is the last one I'd pick. Shoving pencils into your eyes is more fun than FC2.
Edgy.
Far cry 2 has some cool shit in it. If nothing else the visuals are fucking great. The shooting was good. I like the idea of how they handled loadouts, the execution was shit. The bolt action rifle was cool. Overall it's just boring shit.

Back when I listened to blistered thumbs podcasts they raved about that shit like it's the best thing since birth control, then again one of their guys was the creator of gone home...anyway, I went on their forums and asked wtf do they see in that game. As far as I can remember the most unanimous answer was that people enjoyed the atmosphere, basically they liked that the games was a dead jungle. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I heard somewhere that it is an acquired taste and at least for me it's sort of right. I couldn't stand the game when it was new and me and a friend bitched that we paid full price for that shit for weeks. Somehow along the years I beat the game around 4 times, again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know that I love certain aspects of the game, that seems like a moot point when you consider that 90% of the time you spend in the boring drive, stop, machine gun the outpost, repeat routines. Maybe there's something in the water, subliminal messages, or maybe I suffered brain damage playing it, but I sorta not really kinda like it hate it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I wouldn't say any of them are terrible or not worth playing AT ALL. Might as well just play Chaos Theory though and if you enjoy it, you can still go back to the first two games afterwards and play them just fine. Same thing with the fourth one. If you're up for MORE of that kind of stealth after you're done with the first three, grab the fourth one. The last two games are obviously more fast paced 'n shit, but they're not really bad games IMO. The fifth one's kinda mediocre maybe and the last one doesn't have Ironside. Still, you can get both for peanuts quite often anyway.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I see...

What about platform? I recall hearing one of the games had a really awful PC port.
That's Double-Agent, which is probably the second shittiest game in the series, next to Conviction, both of which are skippable. All the others sans Pandora Tomorrow have good PC ports.

EDIT: Also, Conviction's port was shitty in its own right due Ubisoft DRM shenanigans. Always online, booted back to the main menu the moment your connection falters for just a fraction of a second.

Alfons

Prophet
I've never played a Splinter Cell. What games should I play and what ones should I avoid?
I played all except for double agent. The only one I replayed was Chaos Theory. The first two are just too fucking clunky. The first one is horrible in that regard. Automatically closing doors coupled with the fact that the only action you can take when carrying a body is to put said body down. Missions where killing or being detected cause instant failure are a fucking pain as well.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Edgy.
Far cry 2 has some cool shit in it. If nothing else the visuals are fucking great. The shooting was good. I like the idea of how they handled loadouts, the execution was shit. The bolt action rifle was cool. Overall it's just boring shit.

Back when I listened to blistered thumbs podcasts they raved about that shit like it's the best thing since birth control, then again one of their guys was the creator of gone home...anyway, I went on their forums and asked wtf do they see in that game. As far as I can remember the most unanimous answer was that people enjoyed the atmosphere, basically they liked that the games was a dead jungle. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I heard somewhere that it is an acquired taste and at least for me it's sort of right. I couldn't stand the game when it was new and me and a friend bitched that we paid full price for that shit for weeks. Somehow along the years I beat the game around 4 times, again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know that I love certain aspects of the game, that seems like a moot point when you consider that 90% of the time you spend in the boring drive, stop, machine gun the outpost, repeat routines. Maybe there's something in the water, subliminal messages, or maybe I suffered brain damage playing it, but I sorta not really kinda like it hate it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I love how you call me edgy straight before you tell us how bad FC2 was.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Clint Hocking plays the Panama Bank level of CT with its level designer Matthew Berube:

Maybe you've been vacationing on Pitcairn Island since the beginning of April and you haven't gotten news yet, but a month or so ago millions of documents were leaked to the press from the Mossack Fonseca law firm in Panama. These papers reveal how hundreds, or potentially thousands of wealthy individuals have been using offshore companies, banks and law firms to avoid paying taxes in their home countries.

Leaving aside questions of whether or not this kind of shit should be legal at all, the probability is that some of it is not. I personally think tax avoidance (the legal optimization of your finances to minimize your tax payable) kind of sucks to begin with - for the simple fact that it disproportionately benefits people who already have lots of money and can hire lawyers and accountants to help them pay less tax. Tax evasion (the illegal concealment of income to avoid paying tax) is an actual crime - the crime that got Al Capone sent to prison. Money laundering is the transformation of money made through criminal enterprise (such as dealing in arms, slavery, drugs, conflict minerals, etc) into 'not-illegal' money. Law firms like Mossack Fonseca, and the offshore banks they work with, and the shell companies they create, explicitly, openly and legally help wealthy people avoid taxation. Unfortunately the same systems and structures they use to do so can (and are) used for tax evasion and money laundering. I think that sucks.

Anyway, the Prime Minister of Iceland was already forced to resign because of his involvement in this mess, but his is only the highest profile head to roll so far. Acting and former Heads of State and their immediate family members from over 40 countries appear to be named in the leaked documents along with many other wealthy individuals and public figures. Apparently on Monday, May 9th, a giant list will be published of all the people connected to the couple of hundred thousand offshore companies that have been created through Mossack Fonseca for the purposes of doing international business, avoiding taxes, evading taxes, cleaning the bloodstains off their cash, or hiding the fact that they simply stole it outright from the budgets of very countries they are supposed to be running.

While all of this has been going down, I got to reminiscing with Mathieu Berube, who I work with here at Ubi in Toronto. Mathieu was a level designer who worked with me back on the firstSplinter Cell, and was the LD who built the Panama Bank level of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, which I personally think is the best Splinter Cell level ever made. In the story of the game, MCAS Banco de Panama was the financial middle-man able to conceal the people involved in the arms-for-information transaction between Displace International, Zherkezhi, and Peruvian revolutionary-wannabe Hugo Lacerda. Mathieu and I joked about how, when you work on these kinds of near-future political thriller kinds of games, you often end up predicting the future: the Bank level in Chaos Theory was ultimately about the power of offshore banks to make these kinds of illegal transactions anonymous.

After talking about it, we realized that it would be cool to see if we could get the game up and running and play through the level again while talking about how we designed and built it. It would also give us a chance to rant incoherently about our frustrations with all the shitheels who are screwing the rest of us by not paying their fair share. So that's what we did - we dug up a 360 (SCCT was on the original XBox, but was made backwards compatible) and did a run through and talked about some of the decisions we made.

So we made a Let's Play...

PS Making this video is not in any way intended to imply we are working on any particular game. What we're working on is unannounced. The fact that we're talking about Chaos Theory is a coincidence related to current events and nothing more.

http://www.clicknothing.com/click_nothing/2016/05/lets-play-screw-the-banks.html

Ezekiel

Arcane
Remind me the different ways in which light and shadow played a role in Splinter Cell. What could the player do besides turn off lights and cut the power? Pitiful that every second AAA game now has some form of stealth, but this obvious feature is ignored.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Remind me the different ways in which light and shadow played a role in Splinter Cell. What could the player do besides turn off lights and cut the power? Pitiful that every second AAA game now has some form of stealth, but this obvious feature is ignored.

You could shoot out lights, not just with bullets but also the non-lethal rounds IIRC. You had a point-and-shoot EMP pulse device mounted to your pistol that would disrupt electrics for a short duration, I believe there was a remote triggered one you could fire off and stick to a wall, but I could be misremembering.

Ezekiel

Arcane

You could shoot out lights, not just with bullets but also the non-lethal rounds IIRC. You had a point-and-shoot EMP pulse device mounted to your pistol that would disrupt electrics for a short duration, I believe there was a remote triggered one you could fire off and stick to a wall, but I could be misremembering.
Thanks. I remember that. Yeah, the SC-20K could shoot EMP grenades. Thought I also remembered closing blinds.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Thought I also remembered closing blinds.
There was the one mission with electrochromic windows...

Played the trilogy (first two on Gamecube and PS2 as a child), never quite finished Chaos Theory or considered myself a fan, but watching this and remembering, I almost can't believe it's a Ubisoft game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom