Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spiritual successor to Interstate 76 on Kickstarter

likaq

Arcane
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1517270521/motorgun-return-of-the-auto-duel

An exciting new vehicular combat game from a team that includes the creative minds behind Twisted Metal and Interstate ‘76.

02439e4816ac56a46b051c37d679c0c0_large.jpg

:codexisfor:

Incline or Decline. That is the question.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This is DECLINE.

Original I76 had nothing to do with post-apocalyptic stuff, it was originally set in an alternative universe. Something with an oil crisis during the 70s.

And I don't think they will be able to create something as groovy as the original game.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah.
There's lots of good sandbox driving game like GTA & the likes that could really just need some mods here n there to recreate that Interstate feel.
I forget though, did they go for high-realistic handling or will third person cams even make sense in the remake?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
You can't "recreate" Interstate 76 feel, and the same goes for Mechwarrior 2 feel (just look at the failures that followed), and Battlezone feel.

This is because they're based on military-grade simulation engine created by a guy who did flight sims for the military. Last time I checked he was in dire straits in regards to his health... hope he's okay.

A user named cat

I was interested until the guy said everything is team-based and there would be no death match. Closed the video instantly after. The fuck? That's the entire appeal of games like Twisted Metal, not working with gay teammates.

Would rather we get a good version of Post Apocalyptic Mayhem. They had the foundation right on that, decent phycis and everything except it severely lacked in variation and content.

DraQ

Arcane
I76 relied heavily on unique atmosphere. You can't hope to recreate it in different setting.
The best you can hope is another (perhaps just as iconic, but I wouldn't count on it) vehicular combat game.

Although I wouldn't count on that being successful if it's MP only.
MP only generally precludes any sort of atmosphere.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
yeah with trash talking and leetkiddies... there's no room for atmosphere. U need some kind of narrative to make it work - a world that reacts appropriately to your character's actions. Make it like Wing Commander on wheels and it might just work.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Single player campaign+simple deathmatch multi(no teamplay shit, unlocks or persistent-world crap)=>this is how this sort of games should look like.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
You can't "recreate" Interstate 76 feel, and the same goes for Mechwarrior 2 feel (just look at the failures that followed), and Battlezone feel.

This is because they're based on military-grade simulation engine created by a guy who did flight sims for the military. Last time I checked he was in dire straits in regards to his health... hope he's okay.

Did not know this. And the simulation was surprisingly good in that game. Including the nice suspensions.

Repressed Homosexual
What is David Jaffe doing here? He is talented, but this isn't supposed to be a silly, over the top car battle game on a console.

The decline never stops from getting worse and worse.

Jashiin

Arcane
Multiplayer. Fuck them and fuck them for namedropping interstate 76. Fucking marketing.

Jackalope

Arcane
DEVELOPER 1: OK, how do we sell this multiplayer-oriented generic-looking car game?
DEVELOPER 2: We can call it a spiritual successor to something!
DEVELOPER 1: THAT'S IT!!! A spiritual successor to Twisted Metal!
DEVELOPER 2: Well, they made a Twisted Metal game last year. I don't think people are nostalgic for it yet.
DEVELOPER 1: Fine! Google us the name of a famous auto-combat game that hasn't had a sequel in a couple of years! And launch the Kickstarter campaign!
DEVELOPER 2: But we only have 3 or 4 pieces of concept art and a model of a dull-looking truck with silly guns on it. We don't even know if we are going to have single player! Hell, we don't even have a title for this project! We started it just two days ago!
DEVELOPER 1: Don't worry about it! GUNCAR! CARGUN! AUTOGUN! GUNGUN! MOTORGUN! MOTORGUN!!!
DEVELOPER 2: You're joking, right? That's the stupidest title I've heard in my life!
DEVELOPER1: LAUNCH IT!!!

Stokowski

Arcane
Sigh. Interstate 76 was the first game I ever bought for my PC. Awesome soundtrack. But got stupidly hard very quickly and I never did finish it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
He'll write fucking COMICS of the game's story... FFS, where these people get these ideas?
BTW, has there ever been a kickstarter WITHOUT a random praise line from MCA? I guess only Arcanum 2 won't have it. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom