Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Sim Joystick

OuterSpace

Scholar
Yo Codex,

I have a VERY SERIOUS problem and I need help. NOW.

Situation: I'm going to play Independence War 2 and I want to do this shit RIGHT. What affordable modern USB joysticks aren't garbage?

Background: I have little experience with flight sims and joysticks generally. I don't need a $300 joystick and throttle combo.

Bottom Line: Is the Logitech stuff alright? I'm looking at the Attack 3 or the Extreme 3D. Am I better off going with the Saitek stuff?

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Dude I have some piece of shit NZ$20 Genius joystick and it's been fine for everything I've used it for. I don't think you need to worry too much about this.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Avoid Logitech like the plague if you plan on keeping/using the stick for more than 6 months. Either that or be prepared to replace it regularly when the piece of shit auto-calibrating potentiometers wear out. If you could manually calibrate the sticks it wouldn't be a big deal, but you can't, so you're fucked.

The absolute best entry level joystick is the Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro and Precision Pro 2. Of course those haven't been manufactured for coming up on a decade now, so it's not really an option. I've heard good things about the Saitek AV8R though, and I've been meaning to pick one up when I have some extra cash.

Morkar Left

I own a Saitek Cyborg Evo Force. One of the last with Force Feedback (ff is fun to use in i-war 2 unlike in the x-series). It´s available without the ff, too (even wireless).

Lots of customization, for left and right hand, precise and functional.

In Germany it is relatively cheap but on amazon.com the prices are ridicules; 150$ to 40-50 € in Germany...

Data4

Arcane
I've got a Saitek X52 throttle and stick set, but it's not exactly cheap. Since I got it, I haven't used it for space gaming. The last time I played FS2, I was using my old MS Sidewinder Precision Pro. I replaced it with the Saitek set when it gave up the ghost after about 10 years. By then, I'd already shelved FS2 again.

It is, however, awesome with flight simulators, both combat and civil.

Suchy

Arcane
I'm using Saitek Cyborg X. Cheap (I got it for about $50 in Poland), reliable, fuckload of programmable buttons, scroll wheel, hat, rudder, and dual thrust.
No force feedback.
img1-23107.jpg
img2-23107.jpg

Tycn

Savant
Attack 3 will do fine for the price. No hat stick or twist axis but you don't really need those for a space sim.

DraQ

Arcane
OuterSpace said:
Yo Codex,

I have a VERY SERIOUS problem and I need help. NOW.

Situation: I'm going to play Independence War 2 and I want to do this shit RIGHT. What affordable modern USB joysticks aren't garbage?

Background: I have little experience with flight sims and joysticks generally. I don't need a $300 joystick and throttle combo.

Bottom Line: Is the Logitech stuff alright? I'm looking at the Attack 3 or the Extreme 3D. Am I better off going with the Saitek stuff?
I don't know, I just messed around with the ini to set right what was once wrong to a somewhat spectacular effect, but if you don't mind buying a joystick for single game or a genre with titles that could be counted on fingers of one hand, you might want to buy one.

Not that it'll spare you tweaking the ini - men died for far lesser offences than I-War 2 interface.
:smug:

Also, since it's a spasim thread, be sure to play Frontier: Elite 2 and Frontier: First Encounters (with JJFFE or D3DFFE), if you haven't already. Older, but far better games, although I-War 2 wasn't too bad either, just underwhelming after those two.

OuterSpace

Scholar
Yeah I've heard a lot of people complaining about the potentiometers wearing out quickly on the Logitech sticks;
but I've heard similar complaints about the lower end Saitek ones.
Yo Suchy that Cyborg looks DOPE but I heard the the some of the buttons feel really cheap and the base tips forward when you try to put your nose down.
Does it feel like its made out of really cheap plastic?

Right now I'm leaning towards getting the Extreme 3D and using the warranty liberally.

Suchy

Arcane
Yeah, the plastic does feel somewhat cheap indeed. Didn't have any problems with the base tipping - probably depends how you place your hand on the stick (the stick position can also be customized). Oh and it has fucking annoying leds, I have to plug it off for the night when I'm not using it.

OuterSpace

Scholar
All you guys talking about joysticks, it almost looks as if you were compensating for something.

In an unrelated development, I've decided to buy the largest, flashiest Joystick available.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
ScottishMartialArts said:
Avoid Logitech like the plague if you plan on keeping/using the stick for more than 6 months. Either that or be prepared to replace it regularly when the piece of shit auto-calibrating potentiometers wear out. If you could manually calibrate the sticks it wouldn't be a big deal, but you can't, so you're fucked.

The absolute best entry level joystick is the Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro and Precision Pro 2. Of course those haven't been manufactured for coming up on a decade now, so it's not really an option. I've heard good things about the Saitek AV8R though, and I've been meaning to pick one up when I have some extra cash.

I've noticed, what the fuck is up with logitech's parts lately? I have a trackball and its already worn out after 8 months with damage to the ball that appeared due to repetitively passing over a very small manufacturing dent in it, and the left mouse button is already spazzing out on me.

also get a saitek stick, those things are fucking snazzy. I prefer cyborg evo but i also have very long thumbs so mileage might vary.

hal900x

Augur
Suchy said:
No force feedback.

I thought Force Feedback was killed by lawyers/corporate greed many moons ago, joining the ranks of Aureal 3D etc. Hence no games that support it. I still have my original Force FX revision 1, truly a badass joystick. I more commonly use my Sidewinder, but it's a bitch to get a game port up and running these days. Fortunately, I'm a pack rat. :)

OuterSpace

Scholar
Thank you all for taking the time to help me with my problem. After much deliberation I made the INFORMED DECISION and purchased the Logitech Attack 3.
Its a piece of shit and I guess thats why nobody in this thread recommended it.

So far I'm having a pretty good time playing I-War 2 with it. One thing the Attack 3 doesn't have is that snazzy twist action rudder control. Am I missing out bigtime here? or is it not that essential. ?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Suchy said:
I'm using Saitek Cyborg X. Cheap (I got it for about $50 in Poland), reliable, fuckload of programmable buttons, scroll wheel, hat, rudder, and dual thrust.
No force feedback.
img1-23107.jpg
img2-23107.jpg

This looks seriously awesome

hal900x

Augur
OuterSpace said:
One thing the Attack 3 doesn't have is that snazzy twist action rudder control. Am I missing out bigtime here? or is it not that essential. ?

That's for independent yaw, which is great in flight models that use it. For space sims, not so essential as they usually have a simpler flight model.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Microsoft Force Feedback Pro....the best joystick I've ever had. Too bad it doesn't work on modern(XP or later)systems and needs a joystick port, but damn, 90% of good flight sims and space sims were made back in the time of Win 98 so it's not a big loss if you have a pre-2005 rig lying around.

I second Lord Rocket on the cheapo 'Genius' sticks. Have one and it's good enough. Since there's maybe one game that requires joystick support released every 2 years, no point getting anything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom