Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Colony, is this bitch any good in bed?

laclongquan

Arcane
Wiki said:
*Gameplay*
The basic premise is similar to The Sims in that the player has to care for the needs of a several individuals - here each with a unique personality and different abilities. However the game is mission orientated and involves setting up a futuristic base and carrying out missions which involve mining minerals, developing relationships, harvesting resources to prevent running out of oxygen and power, collecting food, and fighting back alien attacks.

*Characters*
There are about 20 characters in this game.

Venus Jones - The main character, a generally affable, red-headed woman. She is extremely versatile ability-wise, being able to run oxygen and power facilities, gather plants for nutrition, and the other basic jobs, and extremely effectively. She comes from the United States.

Stig Svensson - Also versatile, but not as skilled. Due to his muscular build, eating is very important to him and increases his happiness more than other factors. He is said to come from Norway however the delvelopers have given him a thick Swedish accent.

Tami La Belle - A Texan, with fairly good abilities. Loves chatting with liked base members, but can often become needy and prone to drinking.

Dean Jefferson Brown - A basketball playing medical student from Los Angeles. He has an obsession with cleanliness, making personal hygiene very important to him.

Candy Simpson - Californian airhead. Because her life revolves around shopping, she doesn't do much, as shown by her pitiful ability chart, which only features basic cleaning abilities.

'Nailer' McBride - A former death row inmate with a Scottish accent. Loves exercise, but has average ability area.

Barbra Leechworth - A motivated sour person who is Blackwater's vice president; her paycheck is her important need. She and Venus are rivals and cannot stand each other.

Is this MILF any good in bed? Anyone?[/quote]

sser

Arcane
Developer
Long time since I've played it, but the gameplay is essentially as described. You basically run a colony through various missions while dealing with individual personalities. From the IGN review:

Take one part The Sims, one part Startopia, and a pinch of combat strategy and you'll have Space Colony. The general idea of the game is to be able to build a profitable colony on a distant planet while managing the "strong personalities" that each of the colonists bring with them.

I enjoyed it, but I am easily amused.

Topher

Cipher
I haven't played it but I've heard that the sim-like social elements are both underdeveloped and constantly get in the way of actual base management.

*In fact... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pB33tkgcOc ...take it for what you will.

** Just realized this but that video reviewer might be the same guy who made that idiotic review on Deus Ex.

Paperclip

Liturgist
It might be decent for some people..., but I didn't quite like it.

Does it measure up to, say, Evil Genius?

No, and it's quite different. It's more like the Sims in a space colony. The base building aspect doesn't give you that many options for customization either IIRC.

kris

Arcane
laclongquan said:
Stig Svensson - Also versatile, but not as skilled. Due to his muscular build, eating is very important to him and increases his happiness more than other factors. He is said to come from Norway however the delvelopers have given him a thick Swedish accent.

What is the difference between a Swedish and Norwegian accent?

Topher

Cipher
kris said:
laclongquan said:

What is the difference between a Swedish and Norwegian accent?

The Convention of Moss... fuck that was lame, the punchline isn't even any sort of witty language pun.

Actually I've heard that the Swedish accent is slightly more feminine while the Norwegian accent is slightly more Masculine, don't blame me I heard it from a Norwegian. Go figure.

kris

Arcane
Topher said:
Actually I've heard that the Swedish accent is slightly more feminine while the Norwegian accent is slightly more Masculine, don't blame me I heard it from a Norwegian. Go figure.

That gave me a laugh at least. Finns would say the same. Miniority complex abound.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
kris said:
Topher said:

That gave me a laugh at least. Finns would say the same. Miniority complex abound.

Well this is how we Danes see it.

Swedes sounds like a bunch of girls trying to sing.
Norwegians sounds like a bunch of girls trying to sing that are kind of slow in the head.
No one understands the fins.

We Danes on the other hand are awesome pants.
That is all.

Luzur

Good Sir
you danes sounds like you have oatmeal in your mouths.(worse then skånska)

Norwegians are understandable, if you concentrate.

Finnish cant be understood at all. (sorry but its true, totally alien.)

Frau Bishop

Erudite
It's not really good, no. It starts pretty good but soon you end up micromanaging personal relationships between your teammembers (think making friends in The Sims) against a time limit and all this in not very interesting scenario missions. Could have been a good game.
Better play.. ehh.. the one on the rotating space station, with the cool bio decks.
Sorry, can't remember the name. Help?

edit: Thanks moraes, that's the one. And sorry sser for being blind...heh. Guess "From the IGN review:" was the reason I missed the quote. :p
What a mistake. I just read it and yes, they were pretty spot-on in 2003, except for the 7.5/GOOD rating.
Space Colony was a game that I wanted to love but just ended up not finding fun for all of the reasons outlined above. While I like character interaction, psychology, and humor, I don't like having to babysit psychotic and incurably incompetent characters. Sending one of them to their deaths every now and again was more fun than keeping them alive. Too bad they get reanimated back on the orbiting mothership.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Frau Bishop said:
It's not really good, no. It starts pretty good but soon you end up micromanaging personal relationships between your teammembers (think making friends in The Sims) against a time limit and all this in not very interesting scenario missions. Could have been a good game.
Better play.. ehh.. the one on the rotating space station, with the cool bio decks.
Sorry, can't remember the name. Help?

Startopia.

laclongquan

Arcane
Contrary to the purpose of the video, I find myself curiouser and curiouser about this.

He complain that those toons work tirelessly and have no time for relationship. Well, duh! IT's a fucking colony, bitch. Colony, by definition, works its members to the bone.

Anyway, still a little busy with KOTOR1. Once done I will try this shit out.

zool

Arcane
Why don't you try the demo first and see for yourself?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom