Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, which one is your favourite Witcher game?

Which Witcher does Witchering the Best?

• Witcher 1 (the NWN mod)

Votes: 149 45.8%
  • Witcher 2 (the cutscene simulator)

Votes: 20 6.2%
  • Witcher 3 (the downgraded port)

Votes: 126 38.8%
  • KC (Skyrim)

Votes: 30 9.2%

• Total voters

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Things 1 does better:
Sex

How!? Unless we are talking about sheer number of ploughable women. W1 has no explicit content. The winner is clearly W2, only game to feature tons of explicit content. I also note that TW3 takes a step back and seems to avoid casual sex, and also seems to avoid anything non-missionary in terms of the act itself.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
How!? Unless we are talking about sheer number of ploughable women. W1 has no explicit content. The winner is clearly W2, only game to feature tons of explicit content.
The sex cards were more satisfying than sex cutscenes, the only exception being the scene with Triss at the elven baths which was awesome. The other scenes just recycled the same short animations over and over again.

I also note that TW3 takes a step back and seems to avoid casual sex, and also seems to avoid anything non-missionary in terms of the act itself.
Unicorn sex probably counts as non-missionary.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
(Any RPG in the Codex Steam Curator page >= Any RPG in the all time list > Skyrim > Oblivion > Mass Effect 1 or 2 > any other game using the Bioware Engine > Jde Empire > Dragon Age 1 > (by a factor of 100) Witcher 1 > (by a factor of 100) Witcher 2 > DO YOU REALLY THINK I WILL SPEND MY HARD EARNED CASH ON Witcher 3 = no chance) SUBTRACTING ALPA PROTOCOL TO BE WIPED FROM EXISTENCE BY TIME TRAVELLING DEVICE

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
For sex I have pr0n.

For talking to npcs and running around back and forth I have, well, no patience actually.

Crafting, collecting shit and browsing lists of crap? No thank you, sir.

Tried 1, stopped for a day, never could find motivation to return.

Tried 2, combat was too stupid, ragequit ensued.

Saw 3 on twitch and I'm not going anywhere near that shit.

There's better combat almost everywhere and if I'm feeling like talking to npcs I'll just go play some adventure game.

Yeah, main char looks cool, there's some nice visuals and monsters, but that's about it in my opinion...

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
in terms of gameplay at least.

Level Aard, right click -> left click solves 80% of encounters. The other 20% are solved by Igni. Great combat, much old school.
So the system has skills that are powerful if you build towards them, how is that even a big deal in an RPG and not desirable in any way?

Because I find mechanics that obsolete everything else to be pretty stupid. I will probably write about this with more detail in the future, but for now I'll just say this: TW1 RPG system had a lot of potential, alchemy is actually good, investing in combat styles is interesting etc. But it all goes out the window when instakills (Aard) come into play. All that careful planning with oils, bombs and potions, all those cool sword moves you unlocked they all become a "flavor" option and not at all useful when you have a skill that is essentially a "I win!" button. I recently finished a TW1 playtrough on Hard and I can vouch that EVERY SINGLE HUMAN ENEMY IN THAT GAME CAN BE AARD INSTAKILLED, with only 3 exceptions: final boss, semi final boss and The Professor. A lot of the monsters are also vulnerable to instakills. The consequence of this is that STEEL WEAPON STYLES ARE COMPLETELY USELESS, because every enemy that would require a steel sword can be instakilled instead. Silver styles are only good for the few monsters that can't be instakilled (or are VERY resistant to instakills). And upgrading your sword doesn't really matter, since any weapon is instakill-capable. Your only "challenge" is to avoid being killed mid execution animation. Ho-ray! :hahano:

If you want to have some challenge on your playtrough, I suggest avoiding Aard at all costs. Igni, too, should not be spammed.
I think CDPR realized this, that's why Aard and Igni on TW2 are noticeably weaker while quen/yrden are stronger. Also, instakills are a lot less common. Ofc, they fucked it up with the random animation shit, because the universe would colapse if a Witcher game actually had good combat... :negative:

Lhynn

Arcane
Because I find mechanics that obsolete everything else to be pretty stupid. I will probably write about this with more detail in the future, but for now I'll just say this: TW1 RPG system had a lot of potential, alchemy is actually good, investing in combat styles is interesting etc. But it all goes out the window when instakills (Aard) come into play. All that careful planning with oils, bombs and potions, all those cool sword moves you unlocked they all become a "flavor" option and not at all useful when you have a skill that is essentially a "I win!" button. I recently finished a TW1 playtrough on Hard and I can vouch that EVERY SINGLE HUMAN ENEMY IN THAT GAME CAN BE AARD INSTAKILLED, with only 3 exceptions: final boss, semi final boss and The Professor. A lot of the monsters are also vulnerable to instakills. The consequence of this is that STEEL WEAPON STYLES ARE COMPLETELY USELESS, because every enemy that would require a steel sword can be instakilled instead. Silver styles are only good for the few monsters that can't be instakilled (or are VERY resistant to instakills). And upgrading your sword doesn't really matter, since any weapon is instakill-capable. Your only "challenge" is to avoid being killed mid execution animation. Ho-ray! :hahano:

If you want to have some challenge on your playtrough, I suggest avoiding Aard at all costs. Igni, too, should not be spammed.
I think CDPR realized this, that's why Aard and Igni on TW2 are noticeably weaker while quen/yrden are stronger. Also, instakills are a lot less common. Ofc, they fucked it up with the random animation shit, because the universe would colapse if a Witcher game actually had good combat... :negative:
I think theres a combat rebalance that adresses this. Other than that, yeah, dont go aard if you think its too OP. besides you are telling me it doesnt count in the only fights you wish it did.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron

I think theres a combat rebalance that adresses this. Other than that, yeah, dont go aard if you think its too OP.

FCR, yeah. Fixes this problem, adds a fuckton of other problems :lol:

besides you are telling me it doesnt count in the only fights you wish it did
Quite the contrary, if you could instakill the final boss I would not rest until I convinced everyone that TW1 combat is utter shit. Since that's not the case, I'm content with simply pointing out that just because TW1 is the most "RPG-esque" of all three Witcher games, that doesn't mean its combat is the best of the series. That tittle belongs to either TW3 (vanilla) or TW2 + Rise of the Sword. I strongly believe that once Redkit is released modders will turn TW3 into a game with actually (god forbid!!) GOOD combat.

And, btw, just because you can't instakill those 3 guys, that doesn't mean you can't use Aard to keep 'em knocked down while you whack them with no retaliation whatsoever. Yeah, I'm a powergaming degenerate, sue me. :D

Anyway, hope you finish and enjoy your TW1 playtrough. Of all three games, TW1 is certainly the most "unique".

Sjukob

Arcane
I definitely like the first witcher the most . For me degrees of enjoyment are distributed like this : TW>TW2>TW3 . As the Eyestabber said , the first witcher is most unique out of the series , the following games turned into more recognizable third-person ARPGs , I didn't like how CDP were simplifying skill trees with each new game they released , turning game into eyecandy while mostly ignoring the gameplay , that is acceptable for story based games , but they managed to turn everything non-dialogue related into monotonous , annoying trash , that is why I like the first withcer the most , it doesn't annoy or bore me with it's gameplay .

I can also mention optimisation , while it wasn't a problem for the first witcher , the next two games did play on my nervous . I remember how I bought TW2 in the first week of it's release and put it away for year and a half because of lags and stuttering , later I found on my shelf and gave it another try and : "Oh how great ! They actually took their time to optimize it !" . Howoever I had enough patience to play TW3 despite that problem , but that is another story .

Story wise the first witcher is still my favourite . Stalking the biggest criminal organisation in the north while cleaning the mess they left and participating in civil war - excellent . Stalking a couple of assassins , observing big politics and somewhat taking part in it - excellent . Chasing a Mary Sue type of character throughout the whole game , spending time with characters I don't care and would never care about , listening on the endless complaints about everything and having to tolerate a bunch of sorcerers who are worse for mankind than cancer , plague , AIDS and hepatitis combined is just unbearable to say the least . I hope you understand my point on TW story , I accept game plots of first and the second game , but can't stand the third , besides it turned into boring cliche about saving the world and chosen one . I was able to smell the horrible stench of spoiled scenario at the moment CDP announced that TW3 would be about wild hunt , I realised that the game would be about different worlds and the concept of multiple worlds is ALWAYS bad for plot , it always ruins interesting story , it is like the warning sign that developers ran out of ideas . Also Ciri's words: "What can you know about saving the world , silly ? You're but a witcher ." ended it for me . She is a pathetic , unlikable child that only can cry about things and ruin other people lifes and after everything that Geralt did for her she talks to him like that , a sane person can feel nothing but hate for Ciri . Also , no opportunity to kill Philippa ?! You are pissing me off CDP !
:x

Save import doesn't mean anything , I could rant about it , but I don't want to , all I want to say is that I hope somebody who was responsible for this will get his face kicked .

And the last thing is combat . It was never a secret to anobody that the combat in series is bad , but the first witcher got the best combat system . Why ? The concept stayed the same throughout the series , hard clicking enemies to death , but in the first game they actually spent a lot of time to make different animations and styles for that and apparently they were too lazy to keep it in other games . I like idea of different combat styles and can't forgive CDP for not keepeing it . Remember what I say about annoyance ? That is what TW2 and TW3 combat about , enemies constantly dodge , block and do other stuff to annoy you , I am not complaining about difficulty of combat , but since I don't like the combat , I don't want to extend it for even a second , because some drawner desided to jump back to avoid a strike or some soldier blocking a hit while in a middle of attack animation . The first witcher doesn't have this problem you just click enemies to death without having to worry about their amazing agility .

So that is why I like the first witcher most . It doesn't have annoying cliche story , annoying characters , annoying enemies , isn't simplified for public and it's about adventure and not personal complaints .

P.S. Don't install FCR it is horrible , especially for the first witcher .

Last edited:

MoonlitKnight

Educated
Have no motivation to continue with it because the dialogue is generic and binary and the side quests are recycled shit
So for now it's TW1=TW2>TW3

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I agree with the complaints about alchemy being dumbed down in Witcher 3, but everything else pretty much trumps the previous 2 games. The Witcher series has always had its fair share of boring political quests and this is no exception.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have/had fun with all three of them, but
... even if I did loved Broche and political intrigue from second part which was replaced by banal shit boring LARP-ing of Sapek books; who cared about Yenefier or this spoiled brat Ciri after playing the first and second part?
:bro:
that's why all in all I liked 2 the most.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Things 1 does better:
Sex

How!? Unless we are talking about sheer number of ploughable women. W1 has no explicit content. The winner is clearly W2, only game to feature tons of explicit content. I also note that TW3 takes a step back and seems to avoid casual sex, and also seems to avoid anything non-missionary in terms of the act itself.

Actually, I found the teasy, non-explicit content in W1 much more "sexy" than the retarded sex cutscenes in W2/W3: the animations are really unrefined, and all follow the same sequence of camera angles and moves, no matter who you're woulding. 3D Sex Villa or 3D Maid have much better animations for sex, for instance.

So yeah, sex cards uber alles.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Things 1 does better:
Sex

Actually, I found the teasy, non-explicit content in W1 much more "sexy" than the retarded sex cutscenes in W2/W3: the animations are really unrefined, and all follow the same sequence of camera angles and moves, no matter who you're woulding. 3D Sex Villa or 3D Maid have much better animations for sex, for instance.

Yeah, buuuuut...

Triss on elven baths was some pretty tasteful woulding. :P

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Things 1 does better:
Sex

Yeah, buuuuut...

Triss on elven baths was some pretty tasteful woulding. :P

Nice settings, nice easing into the scene (pun intended), alright direction, but the animashuns were still subpar (yet better than the infamous ones from ME, ofc).

MoonlitKnight

Educated
Iorveth is fighting for freedom. I find that very easy to sympathize with. That he's a bastard comes with the territory.

The Scoia'tael vs. humans conflict in Witcher's universe always seemed very clear cut to me. Of course the elves and dwarves are in the right, hence Iorveth over Roche.
Too bad you have to side with a murderer of innocents in that case

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Iorveth is fighting for freedom. I find that very easy to sympathize with. That he's a bastard comes with the territory.

The Scoia'tael vs. humans conflict in Witcher's universe always seemed very clear cut to me. Of course the elves and dwarves are in the right, hence Iorveth over Roche.
Too bad you have to side with a murderer of innocents in that case

Nobody's innocent until proven so.

But yeah, I played both ways and did enjoy Roche's side way more, both quest- and plot-wise.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
But the Vergen path gives several levels worth of XP more than Roche's path. This is an issue that makes it hard to pick Roche's path even if you wanted to.

Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finished 1. OK-ish game, but nothing exceptional, Gothic wannabe with slavic bestiary and ridiculous female NPCs.
Finished 2. Meh game. Again fantasy. Again chainmail bikinis. Again no RP. Even worse combat. Good story tho - would've been great movie.
Watched 3's trailers. Nah, I'll pass.

Geralt always was cringy and facepalm-worthy, at least in the books. They've nailed him.
Too bad.

At least 1st had slavic mythology somewhere. Noonwraith always gives me shivers.

Kefka1134

One....

Whoa! I'm with the majority here.

Edit: Oh now I see the catch, TW3 is number 2 when it's really not that comparable to TW2. TW3 has even been like an actual struggle in some ways. It took all the way to Keira to get my interest going, and then if Novigrad hadn't come when it did I might of just give up on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom