Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy So, Rome: Total War

7/10

Learned
Hey guise, are there any good mods, that actually work with the Steam version of Rome Gold? I've tried running RTR the other day and it won't work, because Steam launches a wrong .exe or some shit.

Deakul

Augur
I have better advice; don't play any Total War game beyond Medieval 1 because they're all horseshit. I recently played some Medieval II Gold and Stainless Steel - couldn't have grown more bored and uninterested if I tried before uninstalling and throwing it back on the shelf. They ruined this series with the 3D campaign maps and focusing on the wrong areas, killed all imagination and life-sucking atmosphere that the first games had.

Since you have an old laptop, get Medi 1 or Shogun 1 and fuck the rest. All they've done is add bloated load times, larger installs and decline. No mods make them enjoyable gameplay experiences.
I'd love to play Medieval 1 again, I wonder why it's not sold digitally anywhere.

I have better advice; don't play any Total War game beyond Medieval 1 because they're all horseshit. I recently played some Medieval II Gold and Stainless Steel - couldn't have grown more bored and uninterested if I tried before uninstalling and throwing it back on the shelf. They ruined this series with the 3D campaign maps and focusing on the wrong areas, killed all imagination and life-sucking atmosphere that the first games had.

Since you have an old laptop, get Medi 1 or Shogun 1 and fuck the rest. All they've done is add bloated load times, larger installs and decline. No mods make them enjoyable gameplay experiences.
I'd love to play Medieval 1 again, I wonder why it's not sold digitally anywhere.

If you have Nvidia card, you are shit out of luck, Medieval 1 fucking hates those card. That's why I keep old Radeon always around, game runs fine on those. And yeah, Medieval 1 Total War with Viking Invasion is best Total War experience you can get (even without any mods, amazingly).

titus

Arcane
Patron
Hey guise, are there any good mods, that actually work with the Steam version of Rome Gold? I've tried running RTR the other day and it won't work, because Steam launches a wrong .exe or some shit.
I think you just need to set the arguments for the exe in steam(properties>set launch options), it should then run.
I ran RS2 this way and it all went fine. other mods probably work too. Just be sure to have UAC off if you are post Vista, as they really hate Program Files.

7/10

Learned
Yeah, i've tried that. I think Rome Gold is the problem: RTR uses Barbarian Invasion and there's no way to launch BI directly on Steam, so the arguments are applied to vanilla instead of BI.

A user named cat

If you have Nvidia card, you are shit out of luck, Medieval 1 fucking hates those card. That's why I keep old Radeon always around, game runs fine on those. And yeah, Medieval 1 Total War with Viking Invasion is best Total War experience you can get (even without any mods, amazingly).
MTW - Redux doesn't seem to crash on new hardware but for some reason, it ran like absolute shit on my GTX 560 on the campaign map. I wish we could just get that game patched instead any more new TW's.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
GOG needs to get on that shit asap. Nobody cares about STW and MTW anymore sales-wise, and I'd really fucking love to be able to play them on Win7 64 bit etc. MTW and then with VI I probably played more than any other TW. MTW2 with mods probably close second.

I WANT TO SMASH SHIT WITH MY HUSCARLS GOD DAMMIT

I still have the discs, useless..... :cry:

A user named cat

There's been a few attempted fixes for MTW and nothing seems to work properly, so I doubt the potatoes could do anything. If CA were cool they'd pull a Larian and release a proper updated version of it for GOG. It's the last good game they'll ever make anyway and I'm sure it'd sell reasonably well.

I don't think that even fixing Medieval 1 problems with modern computers, or even releasing source code for Rome Total War would salvage my opinion about CA. Those guys should seriously go out of business because of amount of broken shit they released. And there is no hope for them, they can't code AI to save their fucking lifes and they won't make it moddable because modders would force those idiots to learn how to make games or completely kill their sales.

Even small Ukrainian team with next to no budget can make better "total war" style game than fucking CA (I'm pointing at guys who made Achtung Panzer Kharkov/Operation Star).

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
I don't think that even fixing Medieval 1 problems with modern computers, or even releasing source code for Rome Total War would salvage my opinion about CA. Those guys should seriously go out of business because of amount of broken shit they released. And there is no hope for them, they can't code AI to save their fucking lifes and they won't make it moddable because modders would force those idiots to learn how to make games or completely kill their sales.

Even small Ukrainian team with next to no budget can make better "total war" style game than fucking CA (I'm pointing at guys who made Achtung Panzer Kharkov/Operation Star).
Or coopt them like what happened to Lusted. He used to be cool guy too before joining CA. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom