Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So... Rage?

LCJr.

Erudite
Guess I'll have to say it. Looks like Id figured they could make a better post-apoc shooter than Bethesda.

Data4

Arcane
LCJr. said:
Guess I'll have to say it. Looks like Id figured they could make a better post-apoc shooter than Bethesda.

As I watched the developer interview and discovered it was a bit more than just an FPS, the EXACT thought came to mind. Heh...

MetalCraze

Arcane
LCJr. said:

They can't. Rage won't have stupid amounts of gore via bloody mess which is a very important fallout perk = it can't be better than FO3, don't you understand?

Destroid

Arcane
Noone plays with bloody mess on after the first playthrough in fallout anyway because you miss out on lots of cool death animations.

Likewise I am sure your enemies limbs exploding off when you shoot them in the head with a sniper rifle will get old fast.

Mareus

Magister
Destroid said:
Likewise I am sure your enemies limbs exploding off when you shoot them in the head with a sniper rifle will get old fast.
They don't explode off. They fall off like the guy was made from dried shit.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Long time id fanboy. This looks great. Not too excited about the new Wolfenstein though

Occasionally Fatal said:
sportforredneck said:
Doom 3, part 2.

No, they already announced that. .
I was just saying how it looked. Except instead of zombies from hell, you get zombish Hills-Have-Eyesian folk from podunk post-apocalypse.

Also:

RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Fudus

Novice
J1M said:
It's just a tech demo for id's new engine.
Doom 3's engine did not license out too well. So is this true anymore, if it doesn't help the engine sell?

fastpunk

Arbiter
Haven't paid much attention to it but aince it's car combat and shooting in a post-apoc setting it kind of reminds me of Mad Max, only with a horror side too. Which sound rather good.

J1M

Arcane
Fudus said:
J1M said:
It's just a tech demo for id's new engine.
Doom 3's engine did not license out too well. So is this true anymore, if it doesn't help the engine sell?
Yes, because Doom 3's engine didn't sell it is more true than ever.

This game is a tech demo showing the things Doom 3 didn't do. Outdoor environments, vehicles, etc. The main selling points aren't super great shadows. They are scalability and an extremely small turn-around time to produce a working executable for a different platform.

Honestly, who could possibly think the game will have a story or be more than a linear shooter?

Dmitron

Arbiter
J1M said:
This game is a tech demo showing the things Doom 3 didn't do. Outdoor environments

There was a brief "on rails" section in Doom 3 where the player travelled through a brightly lit outdoor section, it looked very similar to Rage.

I'm sure the Doom 3 engine wasn't capable of large outdoor areas, but it doesn't appear to be much of a departure.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Dmitron said:
I'm sure the Doom 3 engine wasn't capable of large outdoor areas, but it doesn't appear to be much of a departure.

Quake Wars has some big outdoor areas.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Gragt said:
Dmitron said:

Quake Wars has some big outdoor areas.

That was only after a major revision of the engine. Carmack introduced this tech called Megatexture, which basically means the game used one very large texture for static terrain instead of using smaller, repeating textures. I'm not too tech savvy but this little trick helped them a lot with exteriors, not just in terms of dev time but also in terms of performance scaling, which was a problem in the original Doom 3 engine.

DefJam101

Arcane
Ratm_renegades.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom