Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, how about... Strahd's Possesion & Stone Prophet?

crazy_dave

Educated
Are these any good as games? Never played them... I'm thinking about playing... Any begginer tips?

hanssolo

Educated
They're fairly nice, atmospheric dungeon crawlers, but pretty simplistic. I've never been able to hold my attention on them long enough to finish. I don't think you'll need any tips going in to them, but if one of your mains dies, you're fucked, so save often.

crazy_dave

Educated
The thing is, I read an article on the internetz how, these two games are the only real rpg/horror games. Watched a let's play on youtube, and liked what I saw. Atmosphere etc... So they aren't too shitty to play? Do they get too boring with grinding I mean, if combat isn't anything special?

chzr

Scholar
i'd say definitely worth playing. the atmosphere is excellent and setting is original, especially in rl2. It uses simplified dnd 2ed rules like several others 90s crpgs so while stats are there, the leveling ends with selecting new spells.

Can't say there's much grinding though. Sure, there's a lot of fighting but weaker enemies are down extremely quickly and iirc they don't respawn. Running speed is very quick too so you won't spend much time moving through explored places, either.

note that you can export the two main characters in the sequel so keep that in mind during creation (beginner tip: it's 2e crpg so you can't go wrong with fighter/mage and fighter/cleric. also, save often obviously).

anyway maybe it's just me but i absolutely love the paperdoll inventory.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I played Strahd's Possession twice, and while it does have its strong points, being horrifying wasn't exactly one of them. It quickly becomes a very simplistic dungeon crawler, and your main problems while playing will be exploring large, empty maps and coping with A LOT of level-draining opponents.

I haven't played Stone Prophet, but I've heard that it improves upon the prequel in every way.

But if you're looking for horror, Veil of Darkness may be closer to what you're looking for. It's an isometric adventure game that uses the AD&D system for combat, but most of that game involves finding the proper weapons to deal with the enemies you encounter.

Luzur

Good Sir
Unkillable Cat said:
But if you're looking for horror, Veil of Darkness may be closer to what you're looking for. It's an isometric adventure game that uses the AD&D system for combat, but most of that game involves finding the proper weapons to deal with the enemies you encounter.

just remember to write down the final password to Dracula, it is random generated and can not be found if you loose it.

mondblut

Arcane
If you can barely tolerate the realtime blob games like Dungeon Master, EOB, Ishar etc, the Ravenloft games are best of the breed. Yes, they are extremely atmospheric (featuring arguably *the* best soundtracks ever to grace an RPG, in particular), and yes, they are even scary at times (level drain is scary no matter how high a level you are). Just don't confuse them with Menzoberranzan, lol.

And don't listen to these fudgepackers trying to push thinly disguised homoadventure games to you. Elvira and Veil of Darkness, like all "adventure games", are exclusively for fags, and the fact they dare to imitate some "RPG elements" make them only more cock-loving.

MMXI

Arcane
mondblut said:
(level drain is scary no matter how many pixels represent enemies)
Fixed.

mondblut said:
And don't listen to these fudgepackers trying to push thinly disguised homoadventure games to you. Elvira and Veil of Darkness, like all "adventure games", are exclusively for fags, and the fact they dare to imitate some "RPG elements" make them only more cock-loving.
:M

mondblut said:
(featuring arguably *the* best soundtracks ever to grace an RPG, in particular)
This. Well, one of them anyway.

Andhaira

Arcane
I second (or is it third?) the recommendation for Veil of Darkness. It truly is a gem.

I also recommend the ravenloft games.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
mondblut said:
(featuring arguably *the* best soundtracks ever to grace an RPG, in particular)

Yeah, I remember you now. You claimed that Ultima 8 had the best soundtrack of any Ultima game. As I remember (or to be more precise, DON'T remember ;) ) the soundtrack from the first Ravenloft game (or Ultima 8, for that matter) I hope you don't mind if I completely ignore your opinion on game soundtracks.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I figured you'd link to the Tenebrae city music, as it's the only memorable tune from the whole game. But in terms of music, both Underworld games, Ultima 7 and Ultima 9 did better than Ultima 8.

Keep in mind that I'm looking at the soundtrack as a whole, not individual tracks. The Tenebrae city music is a good track, but the rest barely registers, at least to me.

mondblut

Arcane
The Cemetery track is amazing. Frankly, I first picked it up when used extremely effectively in a certain emo-heavy Ravenloft FRUA module. It remained an alarm clock tune on my phone ever since. Some other tracks are very convincing ambient, unlike, say, the brainless drones in Fallout everybody seems so obsessed about.

Never played U9, as for 7, I turned music off about 5 minutes into the game, which doesn't speak in its favor. UUWs are fine, yes.

Both games well worth the experience of playing if you enjoy those immersion related things like mood and atmosphere especially through sound/visuals.

U7, U8, U9, Strahd's Possession and Stone Prophet all have very strong soundtracks appropriate to their settings.

As for U8, the Tenebrae track is one of the weaker pieces IMO, basically due to it not communicating the same darker mood as the others. Cemetery, Path of Water, Path of Earth, Ethereal Plane and the Main Theme are some of the better ones.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It is very noticeable. Granted, not many can notice the difference and are not...... musicians with a lot of years of experience. To me, MUNT's emulation is like forks scraped across a blackboard. Some day MUNT will actually sound like a real MT-32. Keep dreaming there SCO.

Until then I will enjoy my music on a real Roland MT-32.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Strahd's Possession is a fucking bug disaster. I think one of the biggest bug is bow & arrows can't do ANY DAMAGE AT ALL.

The game isn't "scary", but it is very atmospheric and just about everywhere is damn creepy, including the main town. How many games are there that you feel uneasy even just wandering around a populated city and entering buildings, except for night time Daggerfall city?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jaesun said:
It is very noticeable. Granted, not many can notice the difference and are not...... musicians with a lot of years of experience. To me, MUNT's emulation is like forks scraped across a blackboard. Some day MUNT will actually sound like a real MT-32. Keep dreaming there SCO.

Until then I will enjoy my music on a real Roland MT-32.

Have you tried the daily builds?

Here are they (including a dosbox compile, needs the roms obviously):

https://github.com/sergm/munt_devel/dow ... oad_101979

If you notice something please bitch about it in the vogons mt32 dev forum.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Unkillable Cat said:
I figured you'd link to the Tenebrae city music, as it's the only memorable tune from the whole game. But in terms of music, both Underworld games, Ultima 7 and Ultima 9 did better than Ultima 8.
It's one of the more forgettable tunes, I find. Intro theme that Jaesun linked is much better, as is the Cemetary. And while UW musics were indeed awesome, I'd still rate 8's above 7 (don't remember 9's).

mondblut said:
Just don't confuse them with Menzoberranzan, lol.
This.

Not-this.

crazy_dave said:
Wow, that Elvira game has gorgeous graphics! Is it really good?
Yes. Lots of fun, puzzles are quite tough and the game's quite large.

Jaesun said:
It's way better played on a JV-1080 right Sceptic. ;)
I'm conflicted. Piano on the JV-1080 is awesome, but I like the tubular bells on the CM-500 better. The tone fits the mood much better. Funnily enough, I played them sequentially to a friend who's never played the game (and isn't a musician) and he immediately said "CM-500 bells are better".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom