Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
i never played skyrim man i fele i missed out on a really great game...

idk if i could be worse then oblivion though haha xD that game was pretty b0ring
Is there a particular reason why you are retarded?

haha third world retard is MAD at me

do you think i care what the third world thinks?

MWaser

Arbiter
Is there a particular reason why you are retarded?
Why, let us see...

i never played skyrim man i fele i missed out on a really great game...

idk if i could be worse then oblivion though haha xD that game was pretty b0ring
1) Randomly written "haha" and "xD" in the message
2) "b0ring"
3) Calling Skyrim a great game despite having never played it
4) Spelling errors

haha third world retard is MAD at me

do you think i care what the third world thinks?
5) Calling people third world and disregarding people's opinions based on the economic situations of the countries they are from
6) (Possibly) disregarding all unrecognised location names as third world

Well DraQ, I think the answer to your question is:
Either he's baiting or he's American/Scandinavian and 12 years old

DraQ

Arcane

Stella Brando

Arcane
Well boys, I actually read this entire 212 page thread from beginning to end, and it only took me five years.

My conclusion: Skyrim is worse than a kilo of Bolivian in every way.

My next life goal: Read a whole book.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
the oinly thing worst then an aspie is an aspie in the third world who doesn't realize he's an aspie

M. AQVILA

Arcane
Well the setting, leveling system and combat sucked. Especially the setting, the description of the Imperial province in the lore was so interesting yet instead we got the generic medieval European nonsense in Oblivion.
The quests however were much better in Oblivion. I had so much fun playing the Dark Brotherhood questline... Ah, good times.

CrawlingDead

Learned
I've enjoyed both, although I do prefer Morrowind. The thing with TES, it's never been truly deep in the same sense Baldur's Gate or Fallout are deep. Going back and playing Daggerfall, the game offers a lot of content, but none of it is really memorable for me. What is memorable are the insanely huge dungeons, the exploration, the near-death encounters, ect. This is the same type of game Bethesda makes -- an open-world roguelike RPG. This is why I can't hate Bethesda for their design, but I can't put them on a pedastal either, which is what fanboys do. They're games aren't bad, but don't tell me their RPGs are the de facto standard, they're not.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
I've enjoyed both, although I do prefer Morrowind. The thing with TES, it's never been truly deep in the same sense Baldur's Gate or Fallout are deep. Going back and playing Daggerfall, the game offers a lot of content, but none of it is really memorable for me. What is memorable are the insanely huge dungeons, the exploration, the near-death encounters, ect. This is the same type of game Bethesda makes -- an open-world roguelike RPG. This is why I can't hate Bethesda for their design, but I can't put them on a pedastal either, which is what fanboys do. They're games aren't bad, but don't tell me their RPGs are the de facto standard, they're not.

I think Morrowind embodies the word Role-Playing Game more than any other game I've played so far. In Morrowind you can be a priest of the Tribunal and make pilgrimages, you can become an alchemist and dedicate your time to gathering herbs and other alchemical ingredients, you can become a vampire and live on as a hated and persecuted exiistence, etc. You can actually role play, you can't do that in most other RPGs.

Perkel

Arcane

I think Morrowind embodies the word Role-Playing Game more than any other game I've played so far. In Morrowind you can be a priest of the Tribunal and make pilgrimages, you can become an alchemist and dedicate your time to gathering herbs and other alchemical ingredients, you can become a vampire and live on as a hated and persecuted exiistence, etc. You can actually role play, you can't do that in most other RPGs.

Yeah but mechanics even back then were shallow puddle.
What it excelled at was world design is comparison to its size and lore behind it.

I could easily play Morrowind for stories told in this game where i would think twice before playing it for gameplay.

Only thing with gameplay they did good was that you could do some neat tricks like levitate and so on.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
What it excelled at was world design is comparison to its size and lore behind it.

I could easily play Morrowind for stories told in this game where i would think twice before playing it for gameplay.

Only thing with gameplay they did good was that you could do some neat tricks like levitate and so on.

Well I'm more interested in the setting and story of games so I don't really mind the mechanics as much, besides I played as a sorcerer so I was mostly exposed to the neat tricks.
Still in terms of setting, world design, magic system, and role playing freedom Morrowind beats every single game out there. The only game that makes reconsider on the setting and world design is Planescape Torment, but it was an adaptation of the tabletop Planescape setting so it's hardly fair to compare the two.

CrawlingDead

Learned

Well I'm more interested in the setting and story of games so I don't really mind the mechanics as much, besides I played as a sorcerer so I was mostly exposed to the neat tricks.
Still in terms of setting, world design, magic system, and role playing freedom Morrowind beats every single game out there. The only game that makes reconsider on the setting and world design is Planescape Torment, but it was an adaptation of the tabletop Planescape setting so it's hardly fair to compare the two.
For a game to be a "great" RPG, it can't excel in only one of those areas. Morrowind is my favorite game, but it's always been lacking in the C&C department; poor dialog options, shallow characters, and of course the combat was pretty bad. Bethesda fixed the combat to some extent, but they haven't really fixed anything else.

I always hear fans talk about how Bethesda either gutted the franchise or innovated the franchise -- the fact is they've done neither. They make a few tweaks here and there -- the only real change is the setting. Just look at Fallout 4 -- it plays just like TES. The fact is, Bethesda doesn't do big like they use to in the Daggerfall and Morrowind days. They've become successful so now they're playing it safe.

This is why I can't get on the bandwagon of hating on Oblivion or Skyrim. When I play any of their games, it's the same old bullshit. They gutted the leveling system -- good. The shit was trash after Daggerfall anyway. I don't miss it. They got rid of skill based combat -- well you have two choices, make the shit good or get rid of it, don't do half-ass. You can do all the questlines in one go -- the quests aren't that good anyway, maybe we should be complaining about that. The only thing I wish they'd bring back are more guilds, strongholds, and finally make some decent quests with some solid characters that we can all appreciate.

Morrowind is my favorite game to be sure. It's one that I always go back to, but when I think of a really good RPG, I think of a game like Fallout 1 or Wizardry 8.

I suppose there's a point to where you can love the games you love but also have to appreciate that certain games do more, and you may not simply like them as much due to a combination of reasons -- style, atmosphere, setting, ect, but when you play them, you can tell there's a certain quality that's missing in other games, even if this one isn't your favorite. Hope that makes a little sense.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
For a game to be a "great" RPG, it can't excel in only one of those areas. Morrowind is my favorite game, but it's always been lacking in the C&C department; poor dialog options, shallow characters, and of course the combat was pretty bad. Bethesda fixed the combat to some extent, but they haven't really fixed anything else.

I always hear fans talk about how Bethesda either gutted the franchise or innovated the franchise -- the fact is they've done neither. They make a few tweaks here and there -- the only real change is the setting. Just look at Fallout 4 -- it plays just like TES. The fact is, Bethesda doesn't do big like they use to in the Daggerfall and Morrowind days. They've become successful so now they're playing it safe.

This is why I can't get on the bandwagon of hating on Oblivion or Skyrim. When I play any of their games, it's the same old bullshit. They gutted the leveling system -- good. The shit was trash after Daggerfall anyway. I don't miss it. They got rid of skill based combat -- well you have two choices, make the shit good or get rid of it, don't do half-ass. You can do all the questlines in one go -- the quests aren't that good anyway, maybe we should be complaining about that. The only thing I wish they'd bring back are more guilds, strongholds, and finally make some decent quests with some solid characters that we can all appreciate.

Morrowind is my favorite game to be sure. It's one that I always go back to, but when I think of a really good RPG, I think of a game like Fallout 1 or Wizardry 8.

I suppose there's a point to where you can love the games you love but also have to appreciate that certain games do more, and you may not simply like them as much due to a combination of reasons -- style, atmosphere, setting, ect, but when you play them, you can tell there's a certain quality that's missing in other games, even if this one isn't your favorite. Hope that makes a little sense.

It's not only "one" of those areas, read my previous post on this thread.

I suggest you watch Samyoul Online's video about the dumbing down of the series, it's a well done video that adressed most if not all of my thoughts on the issue.

I think Oblivion had incredibly fun quests, even if the rest of the game was terrible. It was only in Skyrim that the quests started to suck.

To me it's the opposite, when I think of a good RPG I think of Morrowind but when I think of my favourite game then it's PST or BG2. Like I said, Morrowind embodies the word RPG.

It does make sense.

CrawlingDead

Learned

It's not only "one" of those areas, read my previous post on this thread.

I suggest you watch Samyoul Online's video about the dumbing down of the series, it's a well done video that adressed most if not all of my thoughts on the issue.

I think Oblivion had incredibly fun quests, even if the rest of the game was terrible. It was only in Skyrim that the quests started to suck.

To me it's the opposite, when I think of a good RPG I think of Morrowind but when I think of my favourite game then it's PST or BG2. Like I said, Morrowind embodies the word RPG.

It does make sense.
I guess I can see it. I don't think Oblivion or Skyrim were all that bad by comparison though. They've made minor changes to the gameplay, and that's really where the differences end except for changes in setting.

Sjukob

Arcane
They took it from Daggerfall and also cut some other things . ( read as: They at least didn't fail at taking some fun things from Daggerfall . )

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I guess I can see it. I don't think Oblivion or Skyrim were all that bad by comparison though. They've made minor changes to the gameplay, and that's really where the differences end except for changes in setting.
Right, the only difference between Morrowind and Oblivion is the setting. Except for the comprehensive creature-leveling such that all monsters and NPCs are set at the same level as the PC, with weaker types of monsters disappearing after the character gains enough levels, and stronger types of monsters not appearing when the character is low-level. And the comprehensive item-leveling whereby a high-level PC will not only encounter similarly high-level bandits but said bandits will have random pieces of extremely expensive armor and weapons, while a low-level PC will never find weapons/armor of such powerful material; or a weapon on display in a glass case in a castle will be a worthless replica if the PC is low-level but the real thing after the PC gains enough levels. And the clunky interface, which was clearly designed for consoles, in sharp contrast to Morrowind's sleek menus. And the reduction in the number of joinable guilds/factions offering many quests from 10 in Morrowind to 4 in Oblivion, keeping the more generic ones (Fighters/Mages/Thieves guilds). And the full voice-acting for dialogue, which necessitated a drastic reduction in the amount of dialogue per NPC, most of whom have one comment about themselves or their city to offer and nothing else. And the minigames for speechcraft and lockpicking. And the elimination of certain kinds of items, such as thrown weapons, crossbows, and spears. And the reduction in the number of skills to the point where axes are considered blunt weapons. And regenerating magicka, which effectively means that all health can be easily regained after each combat, thus removing much of the logistics that existed previously. And the elimination of different physiques for Argonians and Khajiits. And both in-game and out-of-game world maps that offer far less information than their Morrowind equivalents. And automatic fast-travel to any location that's already been visited. And a quest compass that points to your next destination, the use of which is made necessary by the combination of uninformative journal entries and an inability to ask directions. And a lack of aesthetics, especially compared to Morrowind's brilliant art direction. And a half-baked action-oriented combat system so that success in combat depends greatly on the player's physical skill and yet is boring and tedious.

But otherwise, not all that bad.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's actually some tiny oodles of that in Skyrim. None in oblivion though. It really is the worst. 'Cept for the Mysterium Xarxes but that's just the one thing.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Don't forget Michael Kirkbride and his wonderful esoteric lore.
I was being generous by using an expansive definition of "setting". Otherwise, I would have mentioned Morrowind's superior literature, dialogue writing, landscape design, settlement design, fauna, flora, architecture, politics, history, and main quest/plot.

MWaser

Arbiter
Actually, weren't the journal entries in Oblivion still unnecessarily specific given the existence of the quest compass and the fact that every new location is marked on your map (as opposed to Morrowind). I recall there actually being directions written for some quests, it wasn't until Skyrim that they realized there is absolutely no need to have any of that.

Crevice tab

Savant

They made huge changes to gameplay but this was already addressed.

The setting is pretty important in an RPG considering RPG means role-playing game. Morrowind had way more C&C than Skyrim and Oblivion put together (Great Houses, Vampire Clans, multiple ways of solving a number of quests including the main questline, just about everything in Bloodmoon, etc.). By comparison Oblivion offered the choice between doing some incredibly boring, really repetitive randomly spawned dungeons and gain shiny stone of +2 whatever or just skip ahead with the main quest (Shivering Isles did add a good bit of C&C but still far less than Morrowind). Skyrim does go back to offering exclusive factions but the Civil War mainly consists of a series of repetitive battles instead of the very distinct, well thought out quests in Morrowind that fleshed out and represented the lore in game. Also interesting dungeons? Unique environment? Settlements, organizations and politics that are fleshed out and actually reinforce the C&C instead of just serving as paper thin background?

Changes in setting mean a lot if the new setting is absolutely crap compared to the old one.

CrawlingDead

Learned
Right, the only difference between Morrowind and Oblivion is the setting. Except for the comprehensive creature-leveling such that all monsters and NPCs are set at the same level as the PC, with weaker types of monsters disappearing after the character gains enough levels, and stronger types of monsters not appearing when the character is low-level. And the comprehensive item-leveling whereby a high-level PC will not only encounter similarly high-level bandits but said bandits will have random pieces of extremely expensive armor and weapons, while a low-level PC will never find weapons/armor of such powerful material; or a weapon on display in a glass case in a castle will be a worthless replica if the PC is low-level but the real thing after the PC gains enough levels. And the clunky interface, which was clearly designed for consoles, in sharp contrast to Morrowind's sleek menus. And the reduction in the number of joinable guilds/factions offering many quests from 10 in Morrowind to 4 in Oblivion, keeping the more generic ones (Fighters/Mages/Thieves guilds). And the full voice-acting for dialogue, which necessitated a drastic reduction in the amount of dialogue per NPC, most of whom have one comment about themselves or their city to offer and nothing else. And the minigames for speechcraft and lockpicking. And the elimination of certain kinds of items, such as thrown weapons, crossbows, and spears. And the reduction in the number of skills to the point where axes are considered blunt weapons. And regenerating magicka, which effectively means that all health can be easily regained after each combat, thus removing much of the logistics that existed previously. And the elimination of different physiques for Argonians and Khajiits. And both in-game and out-of-game world maps that offer far less information than their Morrowind equivalents. And automatic fast-travel to any location that's already been visited. And a quest compass that points to your next destination, the use of which is made necessary by the combination of uninformative journal entries and an inability to ask directions. And a lack of aesthetics, especially compared to Morrowind's brilliant art direction. And a half-baked action-oriented combat system so that success in combat depends greatly on the player's physical skill and yet is boring and tedious.

But otherwise, not all that bad.
Oblivion was dumbed down, so was Skyrim. I'm not saying that they were great RPGs. I've played great RPGs -- Arcanum, Fallout, Wizardry, Might & Magic, and by comparison, none of the Elder Scrolls or the new Fallout titles even come close.

By saying I liked Oblivion and Skyrim, I simply mean I enjoyed them for what they were, not out of any particular taste or preference, but that they're fun to play. That isn't to say I can totally forgive the lack of RPG elements present in their titles, even in Morrowind, which is my favorite RPG.

I should have extrapolated on my previous post -- I typed it on my phone, so my bad. What I meant to say is that all of Bethesda's titles have suffered a lot from the same shortcomings -- lack of choices and consequences, lack of branching quest-lines, poor quest design, and shallow NPCs. Morrowind suffered from these same problems, and it's something that a lot of us on the official boards back in those days complained about. It's something that some of us still complain about, but we're the minority now, and Bethesda's new target audience doesn't seem to care about it too much.

You don't have to tell me how dumbed down Oblivion was. I was pretty disappointed after it's release. I played through most of the content in a week, which is something I still haven't been able to do with either Daggerfall or Morrowind, and I voiced my criticisms quite loudly after it's release, mostly because I still cared about the direction of the series. I don't care anymore. As far as I'm concerned, TES ended with Morrowind, but I still play their newer titles, and I still gain some enjoyment from them, but that isn't to say they're great RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom