Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

MWaser

Arbiter
What's the problem guys? They told me codexers were cool.

Stealth in Bethesda games is broken. Want to play as an assassin, try Dishonored. End of story.
Dishonored is a Bethesda game.

dishonored_by_nekot_the_brave-d9mcvnf.png
So is Fallout: New Vegas :troll:

DraQ

Arcane
Stealth in Dishonored is broken as well.

Where is it broken? You have semi-open levels and abilities that open even new paths. You can beat the game without killing anyone. If it is because enemies give up search then I'm gonna say it isn't game-breaking thing.
It's broken wherever the enemies are completely incapable of dealing with sneaky player, so basically in any situation where player has the initiative.

Enemies don't look up and player has tons routes allowing for good situational awareness, exceptional mobility (thanks to blink) and can rapidly and noiselessly *erase* patrols by blinking, choking them out, and blinking back to safety.
The chips are stacked so high in player's favor it's not even funny - if the patrols demonstrated awareness of potential stealth routes and could get alarmed by their own dwindling numbers then the balance might be good enough to necessitate use of powers to give player much needed edge, or even by not allowing unlimited nonlethal incapacitation (for example no choking out and only very limited number of tranq darts), but as it is it's complete overkill.

Also there is the problem with stealth and nonlethal approach being favored narratively but having relatively poor and repetitive gameplay.

roll-a-die

Magister

Stealth in Bethesda games is broken. Want to play as an assassin, try Dishonored. End of story.
But it worked, Stealth in bethesda games doesn't.
Mods have fixed it.
Not even really, the concept of stealth in bethesda games is broken, "Crouch and you become an invisible soundless killing machine of twanging bow strings" is not a good mechanic. The levels aren't set up for stealth either, there's very few paths that don't drop you directly on enemies. The lighting system barely works, and the tracing algorithm they use will have you be detected by light in an opposing corridor because it propagates through walls. The stealth is plain broken, it's not an aspect of the game that is meant to work, and even tweaking the base stealth systems, to give the AI better reactivity, doesn't make the game a satisfying nor good stealth experience.
Mods have fixed that as well.
Okay I'll bite, give me links and then I'll reconsider.......

It's broken wherever the enemies are completely incapable of dealing with sneaky player, so basically in any situation where player has the initiative.

Enemies don't look up and player has tons routes allowing for good situational awareness, exceptional mobility (thanks to blink) and can rapidly and noiselessly *erase* patrols by blinking, choking them out, and blinking back to safety.
The chips are stacked so high in player's favor it's not even funny - if the patrols demonstrated awareness of potential stealth routes and could get alarmed by their own dwindling numbers then the balance might be good enough to necessitate use of powers to give player much needed edge, or even by not allowing unlimited nonlethal incapacitation (for example no choking out and only very limited number of tranq darts), but as it is it's complete overkill.

Also there is the problem with stealth and nonlethal approach being favored narratively but having relatively poor and repetitive gameplay.
Yet that's not broken, that's bad design. Stealth in Skyrim is legitimately broken. It's not a factor of the AI it's a factor of the base systems being glitchy, bug ridden messes, that can't without access to things that modders don't really have access to(The base renderer and it's interactions with the gameplay loop.) be fixed.

racofer

Thread Incliner

Mods have fixed it.
Not even really, the concept of stealth in bethesda games is broken, "Crouch and you become an invisible soundless killing machine of twanging bow strings" is not a good mechanic. The levels aren't set up for stealth either, there's very few paths that don't drop you directly on enemies. The lighting system barely works, and the tracing algorithm they use will have you be detected by light in an opposing corridor because it propagates through walls. The stealth is plain broken, it's not an aspect of the game that is meant to work, and even tweaking the base stealth systems, to give the AI better reactivity, doesn't make the game a satisfying nor good stealth experience.
What? No quest compass for you, buddy.

DraQ

Arcane

Mods have fixed it.
What? No quest compass for you, buddy.
To give up the quest compass you must give up the quest compass.
:M

Stella Brando

Arcane
DARK BROTHERHOOD SPOILERS!

I just did a Dark Brotherhood quest where Astrid, the leader, asks you to investigate the suspicious Cicero for signs of betrayal. I followed the quest compass to his room, where a large white arrow was hovering above a journal sitting in plain view on a table. On about page 2 of this journal, Cicero had written in size 60 font:

It was ME, I'm GUILTY, I stabbed whatshisname, and fled to THIS DUNGEON, which our newest member can see on his MAP.

Satisfied that my investigation had been conclusive, and that I was the Sherlock Holmes of the 4th Era, I followed the quest compass back to Astrid's command room and told her the shocking news.

To my extreme surprise, I soon found myself in the dungeon mentioned earlier! At least I got to use to my sweet stealthy neck-slitting move on some ghosts. At the end of the dungeon the game did let me choose whether to let Cicero live. I executed him not so much for betrayal but for stupidity. So now I'm the proud owner of the late Cicero's +30-to-carry-weight clown suit!

Last edited:

Stella Brando

Arcane
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.*

Anyway, half of these quests are impossible without the compass, and I can't be bothered switching it on and off again.

We don't all have the inborn navigation skills of El Draque, sailing around the world and defeating the Spanish.

*or mediocre forum post.

Last edited:

Stella Brando

Arcane
Huh? I have this computer, but use it mainly for facebook and cat pictures. If I want to play a game, I need a game machine.

Here, have a cat picture:

birthday_cat_sad.jpg

Last edited:

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
i never played skyrim man i fele i missed out on a really great game...

idk if i could be worse then oblivion though haha xD that game was pretty b0ring

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom