Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Short interview with D.W. Bradley by Felipepepe

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://crpgbook.wordpress.com/2016/08/05/interview-d-w-bradley-on-wizardry-6-7/

Interview: D.W. Bradley on Wizardry 6 & 7
AUGUST 5, 2016LEAVE A COMMENT
bradley.jpg

D.W. Bradley is best known as the man behind the second wave of Wizardry games.

After Andrew Greenberg and Robert Woodhead left, Bradley took over the series on Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstorm (1988), expanding the game’s systems and dungeons. In Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge (1990) he revamped the graphics and character systems, added more story & NPC interactions and set the stage for an ambitious sequel…

Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant (1992) took the series to new heights with a large non-linear open world, where several alien factions searching for a legendary artifact – with NPC parties roaming the land and looting dungeons alongside the player.

After that he worked with Warren Spector at Origin on CyberMage: Darklight Awakening (1995), an early FPS\RPG hybrid, then went on to found his own company – Heuristic Park – and release two more RPGs: the vastly underrated Wizards & Warriors (2000) and the recently re-released Dungeon Lords (2005).

Despite this impressive career, there are extremely few interviews with D.W. Bradley, and most are about Dungeon Lords. However, I’ve managed to contact him this week and he generously replied two of my questions on the Wizardry series:

In Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge the dungeon door closes as soon as you enter – there’s no town to return to. The old Wizardry loop of exploring, killing, looting and going back was removed. What led you to change the series’s gameplay in this way?

DWB: Bane was a breakout – it was time to take the next step, time for our adventures to grow up and leave the safety of the nest, it was time that there should be no going back. Bane retained the full spirit of traditional Wizardry, braving ever deeper into the castle dungeon, but then, what happens?! At the point of climax we reach not the lowest depths, but instead ascend outside the confines of the dungeon prison, freed forever from the shackles of the past, and the end now the prelude for what is to follow. In the moment it was done, I knew where the journey would next be taking us. Nevermind that the brick forest still appeared as dungeon walls – this was a time when magical realms still lived in imagination and not the video display. But I vowed in that moment that the next realm would have trees and forests that looked like trees and forests, and cities and sunshine and lakes and stars at night, and no more would searching for stairs down suffice…

The rival parties in Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant are one of its most outstanding features – and one that has never been done by any other RPG. What are your thoughts on them?

DWB: While working on Crusaders of the Dark Savant my mind was soaring, and this innovation was only the beginning of more amazing things to come. Alas, Crusaders was my last Wizardrytitle. On its heels came the advent of 3D, Doom and real-time, and as video games went mainstream, recognizable brand name and blowing people up commanded massive profits, while with rare exception innovation in game paradigms were costly, and all too often ended in failed titles. When I was young and working on my first computer games (text on teletype!), I could see with clarity what would one day be possible, and this sight has always illuminated my path. What I didn’t know was how far we could go in my lifetime, inevitable though it was. This vision is almost realized in the caliber of 3D games today, and VR promises more to come, yet there remains a dimension of computer simulation not yet manifest, almost untouched. It was from this wellspring that the feature you speak of emerged. The sight of it remains clear to me, and though it is not yet made, it shall one day come to pass. The question is when and by whom, and who shall be there to experience it?

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
He sounds exactly as I imagined from his picture. :obviously: felipepepe , what questions did you ask that he chose not to respond to? His working with Andrew Greenberg (if at all), split with the Siroteks and some gossip about Dungeon Lords would have been nice.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FYI, getting Bradley to answer a full-length interview has proven... difficult. Otherwise we would have had one years ago.

Did you even try asking him more than this, felipe?

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I could see with clarity what would one day be possible, and this sight has always illuminated my path. (..) The sight of it remains clear to me, and though it is not yet made, it shall one day come to pass. The question is when and by whom, and who shall be there to experience it?

Worry not, Bradley, for Cleve shall fullfill your vision very soon. You shall be our prophet, he shall be our messiah.

FYI, getting Bradley to answer a long interview has proven... difficult. Otherwise we would have had one years ago.

Details please? Dude sounds like a sage and philosopher, is it possible that over the years he has become a little... weird?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I always assumed the purple prose in W6/W7 was a stylistic choice, never thought he actually talked like that

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
It was nice to hear from him; thank you Felipeepee. I hope he starts making something again.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
That prose though. You'd think he wrote plays and masterwork novels, but nay. He makes games for our enjoyment. This is a great man indeed.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I had A LOT of questions planned, including stuff like his work with Warren Spector on CyberMage (and what he thinks of Deus Ex), why no one likes his Wizardry games in Japan, a Wizards & Warriors re-release, etc...

Yet he told me, like a Wizardry NPC:

Short questions don’t always have short answers...

There was only one magazine “interview” when Dungeon Lords was released and it wasn’t even me - it was an imposter from the publisher, and what was printed in my name was garbage...

There is an outstanding request for insight into my work on Wizardry, and they’ve been waiting for years – still so much to do, time so small, and adding is not an option...

Real magic is making something out of nothing...

Ask your few questions, though herein may be your only reply...

So I sent him those two, as my main goal was to get some quotes for the Wizardry 6 & 7 reviews for the CRPG Book.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I had A LOT of questions planned, including stuff like his work with Warren Spector on CyberMage (and what he thinks of Deus Ex), why no one likes his Wizardry games in Japan, a Wizards & Warriors re-release, etc...

Yet he told me, like a Wizardry NPC:

There was only one magazine “interview” when Dungeon Lords was released and it wasn’t even me - it was an imposter from the publisher, and what was printed in my name was garbage...

There is an outstanding request for insight into my work on Wizardry, and they’ve been waiting for years – still so much to do, time so small, and adding is not an option...

Real magic is making something out of nothing...

Ask your few questions, though herein may be your only reply...

So I sent him those two, as my main goal was to get some quotes for the Wizardry 6 & 7 reviews for the CRPG Book.
Love his games but that reply sounds awfully pretentious.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
He may be pretentious, he may have not done anything of worth recently, but he did W5/W6/W7, Wizards & Warriors and Cybermage (this is actually quite good, if goofy in places)

this is a lot of good games

:Flash:

Arcane

That's pretty interesting. If that was the interview were he said he only made turn-based games because of the technical limitations, and in reality all he ever wanted to do was something like Dungeon Lords, that would exonerate him.
That only leaves the interview were he said one of the biggest mistake in Dungeon Lords was only having 8 quick-spell slots instead of 12, or was that an impostor as well?

V_K

Arcane
If that was the interview were he said he only made turn-based games because of the technical limitations, and in reality all he ever wanted to do was something like Dungeon Lords, that would exonerate him.
He said something to the same effect in an interview about Wizards&Warriors (which is essentially a blobber version of RTwP), so no.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom