Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shitty FPS Nostalgia Thread

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I remember the first FPS game I played when I was a kid (didn't have Doom back then but this thing was on my dad's PC, so I checked it out):

And this shitty thing:

As a result, I didn't get into FPS at all until the end of the 90s.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Stahp....just everyone stahp poasting shitty FPS games!

Seriously, how many of these were there made, anyway? That one with the castaway on the desert island feels like it has potential as a survival horror game remake, but the others just make my soul cringe.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Talking about those old titles made me realise, that I've played some fps that had the beginning where you can see a couple of seconds of animated movie. After some digging I finally found it.

Legend of the Seven Paladins. Very fitting name for our forum. Apparently 3D Realms made some deal with an asian company.

But

(...) the deal was never actually signed and delivered. However, they were working on the game anyway, and released (to our knowledge) only a demo. Since it was never widely available over here in the states, we never legally pursued them over it.

Classic chinese technique :lol:.

You can clearly see that later on it influenced the process of developing Shadow Warrior. The attacks of the enemies are crazy, they can kill you in a couple of seconds. We have mostly the ranged weapons plus some magic attacks that look like straight from Dragon Ball Z.

The game made apparently to the local market, since there are scans from the covers. This one is from some local Taiwan shop.

l7p_box_front.jpg
l7p_box_back.jpg

zwanzig_zwoelf

Oh, it's one of these Build games from China/Taiwan. I remember reading about it and some other Chinese shooters from the company known as Engine Technology or something.
Also, Legend of the Seven Paladins was actually released in China and Korea.

Here are some Chinese shootahs:

Apparently they use some monstrous mix of Doom and Build engine (from what I've heard).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stahp....just everyone stahp poasting shitty FPS games!

Seriously, how many of these were there made, anyway? That one with the castaway on the desert island feels like it has potential as a survival horror game remake, but the others just make my soul cringe.

Hundreds, probably. Doom clones were a fucking craze at the time, everyone tried to make one (and most of them were shit), and shitty FPS were made right up to the point when talentless hacks switched to third person cover shooters.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Guys, I'm idiot.
Plasma rifle had several modes, switched by F8. More power - more overheating.
Meta-Node vulnerable only to 150 and 200 modes.

Finished Rampage. :yeah:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Guys, I'm idiot.
Plasma rifle had several modes, switched by F8. More power - more overheating.
Meta-Node vulnerable only to 150 and 200 modes.

You're not, I casually mentioned in the Ultima Underworld thread that you use the Tracking skill by pressing F9.

At least one long-time player and fan of the game admitted that he didn't know that.

There was a good reason to read the manuals back then.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
This makes me remember Soft Enterprises, a German company that tried to be successful in the FPS market at a time when Germany was mostly known for economic simulation.

After having released some other games in order to make some money, they returned to their dream of making an FPS that would be an international success, and released Skout. This was about the time Half Life and Unreal came out, so they invented the gimmick of having a scout drone as a companion. The engine was quite competent for its time, but the title is so forgotten today that I couldn't even find a video on Youtube, so here are some Mobygames screenshots:
556961-skout-windows-screenshot-imposing-tower-in-an-outdoors-setting.jpg

The were very proud of their engine being able to handle coloured lighing:
556963-skout-windows-screenshot-coloured-lightning-inside-a-cargo.jpg

I though Skaut was made by Potatos and somewhere in 2000/2001 (based on vague review in CD-Action magazine from that year).
And yes, it's mediocore at best. Nothing special except spider.

Anyone remember Kligon Honor Guard?
I tried to play that one on my first PC, unfortunately my GPU sucked and any 3D games has FPS in single digit.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Do you mean Redneck Rampage?

Nope, because RR is not shitty FPS. I even dare to say, that Sucking Grits on the Route 66 had awesome levels.

I meant Terminator: Rampage, check the OP.

I remembered that these guys that made "Dungeons of Kremlin" shat out another game, "Siege of White House". Not the Toppler's clone with the same name, but really shitty FPS. Can't find screenshots quickly, though.

DraQ

Arcane
TBH I never really played a truly shitty FPS.
Ok, plonked a few min in Radiaki, but it either crashed or I got bored and I've seen a few demos like Target, Skout or Alien Cabal but that's it.

The worst I actually played would be Q2, Daikatana (haven't finished), Chasm and Eradicator, the latter two not really qualifying as bad, more like overally mediocre albeit with quite a few good to excellent aspects.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Anyone remember Kligon Honor Guard?
I tried to play that one on my first PC, unfortunately my GPU sucked and any 3D games has FPS in single digit.

I remember it not being that bad, but i played the game in 1998 so that may not mean much. It had a neato section where you get to walk around in magnetic boots.

Also, lol at guy selecting scrub difficulty setting.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Comparing Q2 to Daikatana. Yeah DraQ, keep showing that impartiality. :roll:
I think Quake 2 had ok gameplay but sucked massive cock when it came to style and level design.
Daikatana was more enjoyable to me in that regard. Plus weapons required proper timing and shit, which was pretty uncommon in shooter games.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
i don't remember much about the earlier turok games, and considering that they are primarily console shooters they most assuredly can not be great, but they feature my favorite gun of all time: the cerebral bore.

Comparing Q2 to Daikatana. Yeah DraQ, keep showing that impartiality. :roll:
right, that is unfair, considering daikatana is actually more fun to play.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You people are idiotic. There is no other explanation. Your antipathy for Q2 is purely emotional and is not based on any objective criteria of any kind.

DraQ

Arcane
There are things in Q2 that would make it a very good game. Unfortunately two things that aren't among them are interesting, diverse levels and enemies that aren't a bad joke that irreparably ruins the actual gameplay.

At the very least Dajkaszana is actually diverse and has an existent art direction, so the only question is whether you'd rather play a terribly bland and stupidly easy, but otherwise mediocre game or a crap one, but with actual personality.

I know the winning move here.
:troll:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Art direction is shit (arguable, btw), therefore every aspect of the game is shit. This seems to be the general problem people have with Q2. Apparently, the game fails at proper emotional engagement, so it must be shit!

And you don't fucking use the word "at least" with Daikatana, ever. That game was an irredeemable piece of shit, and the so called "art direction" was actually worse than that of Q2. The whole game felt like a second rate Q2 total conversion made by a bunch of hack modders.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Remind you one day to introduce you to the sheer brilliance of Sabotain

I actually hunted this game a few years ago. I remember reading it about it a short while after Deus Ex originally came out and Deus Ex was so good that even a shitty clone couldn't be that shitty, right ?

What the hell was I thinking ? Even the installation program is broken and you need to manually indicate the .CAB files location for it to proceed. First sound you hear ingame has been ripped from Blade Runner, and from then... well..

God, I should do a Let's Play. But needless to say I didn't complete it.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But needless to say I didn't complete it.

I doubt anyone did. I stopped at the 3 or 4 mission where you have to move outside some base. I had literally no clue what to do, or where to go, where I could find some switches to press. The game is so bugged that it isn't even funny. The pacing is horrible due to the big open like city hubs and you must move everywhere on foot. If you really want to see something so bad, that you will quit after half an hour or so, and uninstall it with "PUUURGE!" scream, Sabotain is perfect for that.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
On the second though - Xenus games (Boiling Point and White Gold) are not that bad.
But anyone tried The Precursors?

All I know is that you need to find original (rusian) voices and audio pack because they were removed from store version.
Oh, and you can fly into space and land on any planet.
It deserve "RPG" tag more than STALKER for example, who isn't RPG at all but got that tag for some reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom